Post removed. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
albs18

Bronze

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by albs18 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:00 pm

RCO2012 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Is it pretty much decided that UVA this cycle has gone the way of Harvard and an interview request is a necessary step toward admission?
In the vast majority of cases, yes. There have been a few exceptions.
Was admitted without an interview. I did, however, express strong interest in the school. I think expressing real interest (especially for reach candidates like myself) can make all the difference with UVA.

From a recent short visit, I can say that it is an amazingly warm school that is filled with really kind and bright people. The UVA campus is beautiful and seems to offer a lot by way of recreation and student organizations.

LSAT between 25th and 50th
GPA above 75th
Average/above average softs
Submitted late November.
Complete early December.

Feel free to PM me for stats or specific questions...I'll be happy to help in any which way I can.
Last edited by albs18 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmybee

Bronze

Post by emmybee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm

albs18 wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Is it pretty much decided that UVA this cycle has gone the way of Harvard and an interview request is a necessary step toward admission?
In the vast majority of cases, yes. There have been a few exceptions.
All thats to say that visiting and expressing real interest (especially for reach candidates like myself) can make all the difference with UVA.

From my short visit, I can say that it is an amazingly warm school that is filled with really kind and bright people. The UVA campus is beautiful and seems to offer a lot by way of recreation and student organizations.

Feel free to PM me for stats or specific questions...I'll be happy to help in any which way I can.
Congrats! That is great to hear. What an amazing way to get your acceptance :)

Edited for Albs just in case :)
Last edited by emmybee on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 pm

I've been complete since early october and haven't heard a thing..... annoyed

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Congrats on your acceptance, see you in C-ville!!
Last edited by Gooner91 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Gooner and I are on the same wavelength lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albs18

Bronze

Post by albs18 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Gooner91 wrote:Albs firstly congrats on your acceptance. I won't quote you because you may want to consider editing your post since there are probably only a few people (if any besides you) with your situation. I am not sure how much you plan to post on TLS but you may want to reconsider outing yourself in that manner.

Congrats on your acceptance, see you in C-ville!!
RCO2012 wrote:Gooner and I are on the same wavelength lol.
Thanks for looking out!

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:07 pm

My heart should know better than to skip a beat when a UVA email comes through my Gmail Promotions tab, but dammit, I can't help it.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:09 pm

yossarian71 wrote:My heart should know better than to skip a beat when a UVA email comes through my Gmail Promotions tab, but dammit, I can't help it.

MnM22

Bronze

Post by MnM22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:12 pm

yossarian71 wrote:My heart should know better than to skip a beat when a UVA email comes through my Gmail Promotions tab, but dammit, I can't help it.
I got so excited :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm

I even put the subscription on a different email. Still got me.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:47 pm

MnM22 wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one. I contemplated unsubscribing from that.

lastminuteuser

New

Post by lastminuteuser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:58 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
MnM22 wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one. I contemplated unsubscribing from that.

+1

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:06 pm

So I am completely kicking myself for not writing a Why UVA essay. In my mind when I applied, it seemed obvious why I would want to go there: my personal statement was very largely focused on my aspirations for animal law, and UVA has a great Animal Law program (thanks Bob Barker!). So I didn't write the essay, since it seemed obvious to me. However, I keep reading about how important the Why UVA essay is, and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do? I am >75 LSAT and <25 GPA (I hope I wrote that right), so I am very nervous :cry:

Should I just wait and hope for an interview so I can explain why I want to go there (if they haven't already figured it out for themselves?). Or should I try to send a Why UVA essay now? I applied mid-November, so I don't know if adding to my application is even possible - I also worry that it would look a little desperate. Grrrr...so mad at myself!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 pm

BoyOhBoyle wrote:So I am completely kicking myself for not writing a Why UVA essay. In my mind when I applied, it seemed obvious why I would want to go there: my personal statement was very largely focused on my aspirations for animal law, and UVA has a great Animal Law program (thanks Bob Barker!). So I didn't write the essay, since it seemed obvious to me. However, I keep reading about how important the Why UVA essay is, and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do? I am >75 LSAT and <25 GPA (I hope I wrote that right), so I am very nervous :cry:

Should I just wait and hope for an interview so I can explain why I want to go there (if they haven't already figured it out for themselves?). Or should I try to send a Why UVA essay now? I applied mid-November, so I don't know if adding to my application is even possible - I also worry that it would look a little desperate. Grrrr...so mad at myself!
I'm similar numbers and wrote a Why UVA? Applied the same time. Still not a word. Don't fret too much.

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:14 pm

BoyOhBoyle wrote:So I am completely kicking myself for not writing a Why UVA essay. In my mind when I applied, it seemed obvious why I would want to go there: my personal statement was very largely focused on my aspirations for animal law, and UVA has a great Animal Law program (thanks Bob Barker!). So I didn't write the essay, since it seemed obvious to me. However, I keep reading about how important the Why UVA essay is, and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do? I am >75 LSAT and <25 GPA (I hope I wrote that right), so I am very nervous :cry:

Chilllllllll.

You have already gotten into some pretty good schools. And from the looks of it, you are very likely to get into more. Relax and enjoy the process a little.

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:53 am

OsaroLJ wrote:

Chilllllllll.

You have already gotten into some pretty good schools. And from the looks of it, you are very likely to get into more. Relax and enjoy the process a little.
Haha you are probably right, thanks :D I have been stressing WAY too much about all of this stuff! I actually decided to ban myself from status checkers as of yesterday. I was much more productive at work today. 8)

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am

Ouch. First WL of the year.

Dear UVA,

Fuck you. I'm between 50th and 75th for both LSAT and GPA.

I refuse to wait until May. Good luck keep your medians if you're turning my stats away.

Erised

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:23 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:Ouch. First WL of the year.
that sucks :-/
did you just get an e-mail?

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:27 am

Yep. Top of my inbox this morning.

I don't really want to go to UVA, it was more of a back-up/seeing what scholarships I could grab. So I didn't bother with a Why X. That may be why I was rejected.

I really have no intention of submitting an LOCI.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:32 am

Ouch. Good morning, LS22.

Waitlisted at UVA via email this morning.

Went complete early November. Stats: >75th LSAT, 25-50th GPA. I did write a Why UVA.

UVA wasn't my first choice, but still disappointing as I would have loved to have the option. Do they admit a lot of people off the waitlist?
Last edited by lawschool22 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 am

Edit: Never mind. Idgaf.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 am

lawschool22 wrote:Ouch. Good morning, LS22.

Went complete early November. Stats: >75th LSAT, 25-50th GPA. I did write a Why UVA.

UVA wasn't my first choice, but still disappointing as I would have loved to have the option. Do they admit a lot of people off the waitlist?
Last year 20% of their entering class was off the WL. Or at least that's what someone said in another thread,

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:54 am

ohpobrecito wrote:

Last year 20% of their entering class was off the WL. Or at least that's what someone said in another thread,
Okay. Another question, are all the waitlist emails the same? They gave me a bunch of boilerplate about how "incredibly strong" of an applicant I am, and I wasn't sure if that's standard, or indicates a YP play or something? Then they said something about "managing enrollment" and "avoiding bringing in too large a class." Maybe I was too eager? lol Here's what they wrote if anyone wants to compare:
We have completed review of your application for fall 2014 admission to University of Virginia School of Law.

To date, we have reviewed thousands of applications and are seeing incredibly strong candidates in our applicant pool. You are one of those very strong candidates and we commend you for your extraordinary accomplishments. As we try to manage our enrollment and avoid bringing in a class that is too large, we are proceeding cautiously and are inviting you, along with a number of other outstanding candidates, to be on our wait list. The wait list is a very important part of our admissions process.

As in last year’s admissions cycle, we expect to make a number of offers of admission to wait-listed candidates during May, June, and July. We believe that you would excel at Virginia Law and we hope to be able to offer you admission. We will do our best to have a final decision for you as soon as possible.

If you wish to supplement your application with additional information at any point, please feel free to do so. And please note that we do not rank our wait list. When we are able to make offers of admission to wait-listed candidates, we will review the entire list.

We thank you for your patience throughout this process.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 am

lawschool22 wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:

Okay. Another question, are all the waitlist emails the same? They gave me a bunch of boilerplate about how "incredibly strong" of an applicant I am, and I wasn't sure if that's standard, or indicates a YP play or something? Then they said something about "managing enrollment" and "avoiding bringing in too large a class." Maybe I was too eager? lol Here's what they wrote if anyone wants to compare:
We have completed review of your application for fall 2014 admission to University of Virginia School of Law.

To date, we have reviewed thousands of applications and are seeing incredibly strong candidates in our applicant pool. You are one of those very strong candidates and we commend you for your extraordinary accomplishments. As we try to manage our enrollment and avoid bringing in a class that is too large, we are proceeding cautiously and are inviting you, along with a number of other outstanding candidates, to be on our wait list. The wait list is a very important part of our admissions process.

As in last year’s admissions cycle, we expect to make a number of offers of admission to wait-listed candidates during May, June, and July. We believe that you would excel at Virginia Law and we hope to be able to offer you admission. We will do our best to have a final decision for you as soon as possible.

If you wish to supplement your application with additional information at any point, please feel free to do so. And please note that we do not rank our wait list. When we are able to make offers of admission to wait-listed candidates, we will review the entire list.

That was the exact same wording that I had on my application. You have stronger numbers than me, and wrote a Why X. I'm going to guess it's boilerplate.

LEPWU

Bronze

Post by LEPWU » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:

I had that same letter, in the first wave of waitlists (1/2/14).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”