Post removed. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RCO2012

Silver

Re: UVA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by RCO2012 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Maybe there is some merit to the YP theory, but I know there have been 170+ 3.87+ applicants admitted. If they were seriously concerned for YP purposes, I don't see why they wouldn't interview like they did with the rest of us. I think it's hard for people to really believe that a school is being truly holistic and precise, but I hope people take it to heart and overview their application in a holistic sense and not just count on their numbers for UVA. That goes for post waitlist efforts for admission offers as well.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:40 pm

RCO2012 wrote:Maybe there is some merit to the YP theory, but I know there have been 170+ 3.87+ applicants admitted. If they were seriously concerned for YP purposes, I don't see why they wouldn't interview like they did with the rest of us. I think it's hard for people to really believe that a school is being truly holistic and precise, but I hope people take it to heart and overview their application in a holistic sense and not just count on their numbers for UVA. That goes for post waitlist efforts for admission offers as well.
That or they have a lot less applications early in the cycle and can afford to reach out to YP candidates.
Last edited by phillywc on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 pm

RCO2012 wrote: I think it's hard for people to really believe that a school is being truly holistic and precise, but I hope people take it to heart and overview their application in a holistic sense and not just count on their numbers for UVA. That goes for post waitlist efforts for admission offers as well.
This is a great approach for applying to law school in general. If you're actually paying money to submit an application, don't give them any reason to ding you.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

phillywc wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:Maybe there is some merit to the YP theory, but I know there have been 170+ 3.87+ applicants admitted. If they were seriously concerned for YP purposes, I don't see why they wouldn't interview like they did with the rest of us. I think it's hard for people to really believe that a school is being truly holistic and precise, but I hope people take it to heart and overview their application in a holistic sense and not just count on their numbers for UVA. That goes for post waitlist efforts for admission offers as well.
That or they have a lot less applications early in the cycle and can afford to reach out to YP canidates.
The applicant above submitted early October. Most of the recent waitlist were early applicants.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:43 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
RCO2012 wrote: I think it's hard for people to really believe that a school is being truly holistic and precise, but I hope people take it to heart and overview their application in a holistic sense and not just count on their numbers for UVA. That goes for post waitlist efforts for admission offers as well.
This is a great approach for applying to law school in general. If you're actually paying money to submit an application, don't give them any reason to ding you.
Exactly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rizzleroy

New

Post by rizzleroy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 pm

First post on TLS- long time lurker so hello everyone!
In at UVA (ED) (excited!)
GPA: 3.12
LSAT: 169
1.5 yrs WE
Non-VA Resident

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:03 pm

rizzleroy wrote:First post on TLS- long time lurker so hello everyone!
1.5 yrs WE
Non-VA Resident
Hi!
Grats on acceptance.
Check in on the Class of '17 thread!

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:23 pm

1.5 yrs WE
Non-VA Resident
Congrats! Welcome to the boards.

andapieceoftoast

Bronze

Post by andapieceoftoast » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 pm

I appreciate what you're saying here, but I feel I must elaborate. I didn't go into UVA application process thinking that I was a YP candidate, I just didn't realize how important writing a "Why X" statement is (which I obviously take responsibility for). I thought I had a strong application, demonstrated strong commitment to the law with my softs, and would be a good fit at UVA. I guess "shocked" was the wrong word -- but it was sort of a nasty surprise in my inbox that I wasn't expecting the day after new years.

That said, if UVA didn't see me as the perfect fit for their class, I can't argue with them. There's so much that goes into this process over which I didn't have control. I'm just going to trust the process and see how it works out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:
I appreciate what you're saying here, but I feel I must elaborate. I didn't go into UVA application process thinking that I was a YP candidate, I just didn't realize how important writing a "Why X" statement is (which I obviously take responsibility for). I thought I had a strong application, demonstrated strong commitment to the law with my softs, and would be a good fit at UVA. I guess "shocked" was the wrong word -- but it was sort of a nasty surprise in my inbox that I wasn't expecting the day after new years.

That said, if UVA didn't see me as the perfect fit for their class, I can't argue with them. There's so much that goes into this process over which I didn't have control. I'm just going to trust the process and see how it works out.
Hi, the comment wasn't meant to single you out, it was more of a broad sweeping statement at the general consensus about UVA's YP theory this cycle. I think it was fairly obvious from your initial post that you were not relying heavily on the YP theory for the decision. I'm sure your application was strong and you're most likely an excellent candidate for the entering class. I just think what a lot of us miss (often because we are all concerned with looking like excellent applicants in general) is that we have to figure out why we are good candidates for that particular school outside of our sterling academic potential. Sometimes that takes just coming out and telling them why we like the school and why we think we are a fit. Your being humble will serve you well, and I truly hope they admit you from the list!

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 pm

andapieceoftoast wrote:

Although it may be fairly obvious at this point I strongly suggest you submit a "Why Virginia" LOCI in the next few weeks if you are still interested.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 pm

To those who applied, was your LSAT score displayed on your transmitted LSAC PDF? I am not seeing it on my UVA files. Makes me wonder if I skipped a question :?

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Black_Swan wrote:To those who applied, was your LSAT score displayed on your transmitted LSAC PDF? I am not seeing it on my UVA files. Makes me wonder if I skipped a question :?
ETA: Oops RC fail. Not seeing anything on my saved pdf.
Last edited by bombaysippin on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Black_Swan wrote:To those who applied, was your LSAT score displayed on your transmitted LSAC PDF? I am not seeing it on my UVA files. Makes me wonder if I skipped a question :?
I don't see it either ftr

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:42 am

Bajam wrote:
No need to be a smart $$$. That section is missing on two of my apps but for some reason they were transmitted "complete"

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:51 am

Black_Swan wrote:
Bajam wrote:
No need to be a smart $$$. That section is missing on two of my apps but for some reasons they were transmitted "complete"
Uhh what? I was just saying I read your post wrong and that I don't see anything on my app either. :shock:

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 am

Bajam wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:
Bajam wrote:
No need to be a smart $$$. That section is missing on two of my apps but for some reasons they were transmitted "complete"
Uhh what? I was just saying I read your post wrong and that I don't see anything on my app either. :shock:
:lol: My apologies then. It just sounded like a sarcastic way of saying i did not look close enough to find the scores on my PDF. I guess I have been trolled too many times :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emmybee

Bronze

Post by emmybee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:00 am

1.5 yrs WE
Non-VA Resident
Congrats! Very jealous :D
That ED boost is great.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:05 am

Oh all good then, I don't think there's anything to worry about anyway since schools receive a report with our scores.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 am

Bajam wrote:Oh all good then, I don't think there's anything to worry about anyway since schools receive a report with our scores.
True! I will still call tomorrow and make sure they got it. :)

andapieceoftoast

Bronze

Post by andapieceoftoast » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:00 am

Gooner91 wrote:
andapieceoftoast wrote:

Although it may be fairly obvious at this point I strongly suggest you submit a "Why Virginia" LOCI in the next few weeks if you are still interested.
RCO2012 wrote:
Hi, the comment wasn't meant to single you out, it was more of a broad sweeping statement at the general consensus about UVA's YP theory this cycle. I think it was fairly obvious from your initial post that you were not relying heavily on the YP theory for the decision. I'm sure your application was strong and you're most likely an excellent candidate for the entering class. I just think what a lot of us miss (often because we are all concerned with looking like excellent applicants in general) is that we have to figure out why we are good candidates for that particular school outside of our sterling academic potential. Sometimes that takes just coming out and telling them why we like the school and why we think we are a fit. Your being humble will serve you well, and I truly hope they admit you from the list!
Thanks to both Gooner and RCO for the thoughtful feedback. I will be working on a LOCI in the coming weeks and am hoping for the best for all admits and applicants on this thread!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dempsey6

New

Post by dempsey6 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Interviewed recently and went great.. got the call today!

Probably my #1. :D

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:15 pm

dempsey6 wrote:Interviewed recently and went great.. got the call today!

Just to clarify, you received your acceptance call I'm assuming? If so, congratulations and I hope to see you there! Check out the class of 2017 thread as well.

dempsey6

New

Post by dempsey6 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:18 pm

RCO2012 wrote:

Just to clarify, you received your acceptance call I'm assuming? If so, congratulations and I hope to see you there! Check out the class of 2017 thread as well.
yessir. Is that on this board?

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 pm

dempsey6 wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:

yessir. Is that on this board?
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=200

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”