UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants -- (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Fri May 09, 2014 12:41 am

Hrun wrote:
yamsandmoreyams wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Anyone else get assigned to Verano Place??


Hrun wrote:You just got that email, didn't you? :D I did. Got assigned Verano place as well.


I got Verano Place too. It's the only on-campus community that allows cats and I'm bringing a cat with me, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd rather live on campus than have to drive to school.


Same reason I applied for Verano, needed somewhere that allowed for cats. I'm glad Irvine has graduate housing that allow for pets because apartments near Irvine are crazy expensive. Did you have a chance to check out what Verano looks like on the inside?


This is all I could find about how Verano Place looks: http://housing.uci.edu/housingOptions/Verano_Place.html

mathwhiz87
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mathwhiz87 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:07 pm

yamsandmoreyams wrote:
Hrun wrote:
yamsandmoreyams wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Anyone else get assigned to Verano Place??


Hrun wrote:You just got that email, didn't you? :D I did. Got assigned Verano place as well.


I got Verano Place too. It's the only on-campus community that allows cats and I'm bringing a cat with me, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd rather live on campus than have to drive to school.


Same reason I applied for Verano, needed somewhere that allowed for cats. I'm glad Irvine has graduate housing that allow for pets because apartments near Irvine are crazy expensive. Did you have a chance to check out what Verano looks like on the inside?


This is all I could find about how Verano Place looks: http://housing.uci.edu/housingOptions/Verano_Place.html


If you do some digging, you can find Facebook pictures.

User avatar
fallingwater
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:16 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby fallingwater » Sun May 11, 2014 12:04 am

yamsandmoreyams wrote:
Hrun wrote:
yamsandmoreyams wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Anyone else get assigned to Verano Place??


Hrun wrote:You just got that email, didn't you? :D I did. Got assigned Verano place as well.


I got Verano Place too. It's the only on-campus community that allows cats and I'm bringing a cat with me, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd rather live on campus than have to drive to school.


Same reason I applied for Verano, needed somewhere that allowed for cats. I'm glad Irvine has graduate housing that allow for pets because apartments near Irvine are crazy expensive. Did you have a chance to check out what Verano looks like on the inside?


This is all I could find about how Verano Place looks: http://housing.uci.edu/housingOptions/Verano_Place.html


OK, so at UCI there are two complexes for graduate student housing: Verano and Palo Verde (colloquially termed "PV"). In other words, you'll be grouped with all the other PhD, Master's, and some med students. In addition, both Verano and PV are divided by old and new units. Old Verano is the cheapest. I knew a student who was paying around $450/month, which is insane for Orange County. Getting into Old Verano is pretty difficult, and IMO the units seem cramped and run down. New Verano (built last year) is nice (literally across the street from the gym (ARC)), but is considerably smaller than new PV (on the upside many of the units have balconies, while in PV they don't). New PV, a really short walk up the road, is nicer (in terms of scenery) and the units are bigger overall. Old PV is the same as new PV in terms of scenery, but smaller and obviously a little run down, but not as much as old Verano. The price disparity between old and new PV is not as big as it is with O/N Verano. Old Verano is closest to the law school, but all the complexes are really close.

Hope this helps a little! And FYI: there are no elevators in any of the complexes. If you're not on the first floor, be prepared to carry all your stuff up a winding rectangular stairwell (eat/drink a bunch carbs/electrolytes when you do this as Irvine can get pretty hot in the summer despite its proximity to the beach).

bcoco9292
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bcoco9292 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Has there been any WL movement?

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BentleyLittle » Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm

bcoco9292 wrote:Has there been any WL movement?


Someone got off a couple days ago per the Facebook group.

onlyunholy
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby onlyunholy » Tue May 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Just made a new thread for the WLers.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu May 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Anyone have any idea when we'll get our actual room assignments? I'm anxious to know whether I snagged a 1BR!

yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Fri May 23, 2014 12:19 am

BentleyLittle wrote:Anyone have any idea when we'll get our actual room assignments? I'm anxious to know whether I snagged a 1BR!


I'm not sure either, I would've thought we'd get our room assignments by the end of the month, but who knows. I'm hoping to get a 1BR too.

mathwhiz87
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mathwhiz87 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:07 pm

yamsandmoreyams wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Anyone have any idea when we'll get our actual room assignments? I'm anxious to know whether I snagged a 1BR!


I'm not sure either, I would've thought we'd get our room assignments by the end of the month, but who knows. I'm hoping to get a 1BR too.


I think it'll be by June 1. At least, I hope so. I would like to have a move-in date sometime this summer to give 30 days at my current apt, etc.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Congrats, kids!

http://www.ticketfeelitigation.com/faq#Q10

link wrote: 10. Are there any other benefits under the Settlement?

Yes, there are several additional benefits.

(a) Ticketmaster will pay $3 million to the University of California, Irvine School of Law to be used for the benefit of consumers like yourself. In addition to the benefits set forth above, Ticketmaster will also make a $3 million cy pres cash payment to the University of California, Irvine School of Law’s Consumer Law Clinic. The money will establish the Consumer Law Clinic as a permanent clinic, and it will be used to: (i) provide direct legal representations for clients with consumer law claims, (ii) advocate for consumers through policy work, and (iii) provide free educational tools (including online tutorials) to help consumers understand their rights, responsibilities, and remedies for online purchases.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BentleyLittle » Sat May 24, 2014 1:42 pm

mathwhiz87 wrote:
yamsandmoreyams wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Anyone have any idea when we'll get our actual room assignments? I'm anxious to know whether I snagged a 1BR!


I'm not sure either, I would've thought we'd get our room assignments by the end of the month, but who knows. I'm hoping to get a 1BR too.


I think it'll be by June 1. At least, I hope so. I would like to have a move-in date sometime this summer to give 30 days at my current apt, etc.


I've been told by admissions that leasing agreements will be sent via e-mail the first week of June.

User avatar
kirbyb
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kirbyb » Sat May 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Hmm. Just tried negotiating. I didn't put a lot of force into my email since I didn't think they would respond (like before). Just a "no" and a well-thought out counterpoints to my reasons. Oh well.

yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Has anyone else noticed how ridiculously expensive off-campus housing is in Irvine? I'm seeing 1BR and studios going for like $1,500. I didn't think much of living on campus before, but now I really hope I'm able to snag an apartment at Verano Place.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby twenty » Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 pm

yamsandmoreyams wrote:Has anyone else noticed how ridiculously expensive off-campus housing is in Irvine? I'm seeing 1BR and studios going for like $1,500. I didn't think much of living on campus before, but now I really hope I'm able to snag an apartment at Verano Place.


If you can get a roommate, off campus housing cost decreases SIGNIFICANTLY. Decent 2 bed/2 bath units you can pick up for about 1k a month per person. A (very nice) 3 and 3 in Irvine with two roommates you could probably pick up for around 800/mo.

mathwhiz87
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mathwhiz87 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Got my housing offer today. 2nd choice. PM me for details if interested.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BentleyLittle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Per Brian Leiter's blog, UCI has officially received full accreditation by the ABA.

Http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... e-aba.html

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby aesth24 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:44 pm

A buddy a of mine just got off the WL today with a scholly offer for those who are wondering about movement.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby BentleyLittle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:42 am

How's everyone feeling about their housing assignments?

passwordistaco
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby passwordistaco » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:47 am

BentleyLittle wrote:How's everyone feeling about their housing assignments?


Have you received your specific assignment? I was told I was assigned Palo Verde a few weeks back, but I haven't heard anything since. I was hoping I would know what type of apartment I had by now.

gtrdo316
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby gtrdo316 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Verano Place housing offers came out yesterday, not sure about PV.

User avatar
butyourhonor
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby butyourhonor » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 am

Same reason I applied for Verano, needed somewhere that allowed for cats.

So does PV!

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:55 am

passwordistaco wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:How's everyone feeling about their housing assignments?


Have you received your specific assignment? I was told I was assigned Palo Verde a few weeks back, but I haven't heard anything since. I was hoping I would know what type of apartment I had by now.


VP assignments went out yesterday. Maybe try and call PV for a timetable?

mathwhiz87
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby mathwhiz87 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:09 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
passwordistaco wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:How's everyone feeling about their housing assignments?


Have you received your specific assignment? I was told I was assigned Palo Verde a few weeks back, but I haven't heard anything since. I was hoping I would know what type of apartment I had by now.


VP assignments went out yesterday. Maybe try and call PV for a timetable?


I have my apartment # and move-in date. Got both about two weeks ago. Now waiting for the formal paperwork and all that. I emailed for a follow-up and got a nice, "we'll email you stuff soon" response.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:34 pm

So when are folks planning on moving in? I was thinking we could possibly schedule a TLS meet up for the weekend prior to orientation.

gtrdo316
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Postby gtrdo316 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:23 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:So when are folks planning on moving in? I was thinking we could possibly schedule a TLS meet up for the weekend prior to orientation.



I'll be there August 7th or 8th. A TLS meet up that weekend sounds good.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, Chipotle85, combatboots33, ellielaw, notnecessarilyproper, Outis Onoma, piesandcookies, reydingo, studyingeveryday, URM_lawnerd, Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests