UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants -- (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kobe1020

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kobe1020 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 am

just withdrew. 6 figure $$$ back to the pot. Good luck y'all!

yamsandmoreyams

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:52 pm

gtrdo316 wrote:I was at ASW, and it was a pretty impressive 2 day program. I will be there in the fall. Did you attend all the events?

I did everything except the last two events off campus. I came away impressed as well, they definitely did a good job.

singftw wrote:Can anyone who went to the federal clerkship panel at ASW please summarize the points that were discussed? I went to the first day but wasn't able to attend the second.

They basically touted their federal clerkship rates, which makes sense because only Yale has better clerkship rates than UCI. They talked about how beneficial clerkships can be for your professional life. They also gave out a huge list of all the judges, and employers, that graduated students have worked for.

almostthere1 wrote:I second that! Wasn't able to go but would love to hear what some of their main points are, future direction, and important q and a's that resonated with people that went were.

Most of what was said at ASW is already well known, such as employment and clerkship numbers. Chemerinsky did do a Q/A where lots of students asked about their concerns.
Chem believes that although there is not an extensive alumni network yet, that because the Orange County business and legal community has supported the law school so strongly, this community will act as a network to make connections for jobs. Chem also stressed that basically the staff and professors know every student by name and getting a letter of rec or having a professor pull some strings is commonplace.
Chem has a lot of office hours and is able to vouch for a lot of students personally to help them find jobs or clerkships.
Chem and the professors seem aware that they need to have strong employment numbers in order to be a successful school, so they are really hands on about the whole process.
UCI is also decreasing its class size to 100 or 90 to help boost numbers for when they're ranked next year.

The main thing I was impressed with was their whole pro-bono program. Basically, they have a system where you can volunteer and do legal work at any time as a student. They made it seem really easy to get legal experience in a wide range of situations. I talked with a few students who were traveling to the middle east next year to work for an Iraqi refugee program, which was part of their pro-bono work, UCI helped them get this. They have advisers who's job is to help you volunteer for pro-bono work. Apparently a lot of employers have been impressed by the pro-bono work many students have done, even as 1Ls. I know a lot of schools say that they give their students more legal experience or whatever, but at least UCI seems to really do a lot to help students get volunteer opportunities and legal experience beyond a clinic.

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 pm

I was really impressed as well, all for the above reasons. They are shooting for a class size of around 100, and talked about the small class sizes during 1L and the fantastic faculty.

Amalthea

Postby Amalthea » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:53 pm

I also only got to attend Friday's events but came away very impressed with the program, particularly the pro-bono segment. I am currently deciding between UCI with 90k and UCLA with 75k and e-mailed Dean Austin this morning to discuss the possibility of raising my merit award (denied :(), but also to ask a difficult question that would help me make a fully informed decision. Knowing that UCI gave base-level merit aid of full/half/a third tuition to its first few incoming classes as an incentive to attract the best and brightest and is now acting like a regular law school, i.e. awarding aid to select candidates of distinguished merit, I want to know if the caliber of student admitted to UCI remains consistent between those first few classes and now. Partially because this will dictate a large percentage of UCI's ranking, but also because the academic environment is largely dependent on the classmates that will be surrounding you and participating in class discussion and programming for three years. She got back to me and told me she forwarded my e-mail to Dean Chemerinsky - eep! I did not necessarily want that and would have proofread it ten more times! LOL.

But I am curious as to what he will say.

EJL123

Postby EJL123 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Amalthea wrote:I also only got to attend Friday's events but came away very impressed with the program, particularly the pro-bono segment. I am currently deciding between UCI with 90k and UCLA with 75k and e-mailed Dean Austin this morning to discuss the possibility of raising my merit award (denied :(), but also to ask a difficult question that would help me make a fully informed decision. Knowing that UCI gave base-level merit aid of full/half/a third tuition to its first few incoming classes as an incentive to attract the best and brightest and is now acting like a regular law school, i.e. awarding aid to select candidates of distinguished merit, I want to know if the caliber of student admitted to UCI remains consistent between those first few classes and now. Partially because this will dictate a large percentage of UCI's ranking, but also because the academic environment is largely dependent on the classmates that will be surrounding you and participating in class discussion and programming for three years. She got back to me and told me she forwarded my e-mail to Dean Chemerinsky - eep! I did not necessarily want that and would have proofread it ten more times! LOL.

IMHO, go to UCLA with that scholarship difference. But then again, money can change things... and if you get a favorable increase from UCI then all bets are off.

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:15 pm

EJL123 wrote:
Amalthea wrote:I also only got to attend Friday's events but came away very impressed with the program, particularly the pro-bono segment. I am currently deciding between UCI with 90k and UCLA with 75k and e-mailed Dean Austin this morning to discuss the possibility of raising my merit award (denied :(), but also to ask a difficult question that would help me make a fully informed decision. Knowing that UCI gave base-level merit aid of full/half/a third tuition to its first few incoming classes as an incentive to attract the best and brightest and is now acting like a regular law school, i.e. awarding aid to select candidates of distinguished merit, I want to know if the caliber of student admitted to UCI remains consistent between those first few classes and now. Partially because this will dictate a large percentage of UCI's ranking, but also because the academic environment is largely dependent on the classmates that will be surrounding you and participating in class discussion and programming for three years. She got back to me and told me she forwarded my e-mail to Dean Chemerinsky - eep! I did not necessarily want that and would have proofread it ten more times! LOL.

IMHO, go to UCLA with that scholarship difference. But then again, money can change things... and if you get a favorable increase from UCI then all bets are off.

Good thought there. On the flip side, you have greater access to some incredible professors with UC Irvine. Especially with a class size of ~100, and first year classes of 35-50, it's much easier to create those relationships and have professors who can root for you and help you with job placements.

almostthere1

Postby almostthere1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:08 am

What do you think the chances are of more money being thrown around post sir? Seems like its been tough negotiating for most of us post initial offer. I love the smaller class size, beneficial when considering how important developing relationships with professors will be here. I'm >75TH lsat and really not much money I wonder if medians will hold. Anybody know what the medians look like on lsn?

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:42 pm

almostthere1 wrote:What do you think the chances are of more money being thrown around post sir? Seems like its been tough negotiating for most of us post initial offer. I love the smaller class size, beneficial when considering how important developing relationships with professors will be here. I'm >75TH lsat and really not much money I wonder if medians will hold. Anybody know what the medians look like on lsn?

Two separate answers here:

They don't seem to be negotiating at all. UCI Law seems really intent on this point, same as other schools like Notre Dame that I've talked with.

LSN doesn't have numbers on UCI. Based on what I'm hearing, and schools that others were considering while at ASW, their medians will be in the range of Notre Dame to Georgetown. Most students were considering schools like GWU, WUSTL, ND, UCLA, etc. Take that for what you will, but it would track them between #18-26. (I know, I know, there's more to the rankings than that, and I don't want this to devolve into a rankings debate.)

At the end of the day, with a class size of ~100, they'll be able to maintain those medians. They realize how important it is because the first ranking.

Another interesting fact I found when doing my research is their lateral hires, courtesy of --LinkRemoved--

*Kaaryn Gustafson (law & inequality, poverty law, criminal procedure) from the University of Connecticut to the University of California, Irvine.

*Michele B. Goodwin (law & technology, bioethics, constitutional law) from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities to the University of California, Irvine.

*L. Song Richardson (criminal law & procedure) from the University of Iowa to the University of California, Irvine.

*Gregory Shaffer (international law, international trade) from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities to the University of California, Irvine.

People usually don't leave a well-known, well-ranked school for a school they don't believe will be the same or better. The usual disclaimers apply, but it's just one more interesting piece of information.

fallingwater

Postby fallingwater » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:26 pm

WL last week :(
Anyone know how big the wait list is?

MikeJD

Postby MikeJD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:42 pm

mathwhiz87 wrote:
almostthere1 wrote:What do you think the chances are of more money being thrown around post sir? Seems like its been tough negotiating for most of us post initial offer. I love the smaller class size, beneficial when considering how important developing relationships with professors will be here. I'm >75TH lsat and really not much money I wonder if medians will hold. Anybody know what the medians look like on lsn?

They don't seem to be negotiating at all. UCI Law seems really intent on this point, same as other schools like Notre Dame that I've talked with.

LSN doesn't have numbers on UCI. Based on what I'm hearing, and schools that others were considering while at ASW, their medians will be in the range of Notre Dame to Georgetown. Most students were considering schools like GWU, WUSTL, ND, UCLA, etc. Take that for what you will, but it would track them between #18-26. (I know, I know, there's more to the rankings than that, and I don't want this to devolve into a rankings debate.)

At the end of the day, with a class size of ~100, they'll be able to maintain those medians. They realize how important it is because the first ranking.

Another interesting fact I found when doing my research is their lateral hires, courtesy of --LinkRemoved--

*Kaaryn Gustafson (law & inequality, poverty law, criminal procedure) from the University of Connecticut to the University of California, Irvine.

*Michele B. Goodwin (law & technology, bioethics, constitutional law) from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities to the University of California, Irvine.

*L. Song Richardson (criminal law & procedure) from the University of Iowa to the University of California, Irvine.

*Gregory Shaffer (international law, international trade) from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities to the University of California, Irvine.

People usually don't leave a well-known, well-ranked school for a school they don't believe will be the same or better. The usual disclaimers apply, but it's just one more interesting piece of information.

Irvine had a median of 164, georgetown 168. That's far apart. Best Irvine is aiming for might be 165 but probably 164 given they probably had a decrease in applicants. Given the bad employment stats they won't be between 18-26, that's not even possible.

Amalthea

Postby Amalthea » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:50 pm

I am in the same boat, and while I will likely choose UCI over UCLA because it aligns with my personal PI goals and is in my hometown (low cost of living), I know the fact that they are not negotiating is a deterrent to many prospective students I talked to at ASW. A couple of them had already submitted seat deposits at GW, Texas, etc. because those schools offered them significantly more money. I hope this small sample of prospective students I spoke to is not representative of the whole, because there were a lot of fantastic candidates there that I would like to attend law school with, and I would hate to see them all go to other schools!

I also talked to several students who were on WLs for UCLA and USC and were planning to jump at either of those schools if they issued an offer, which they will probably begin doing soon if they are admitting WL candidates.

prāna

Postby prāna » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 pm

MikeJD wrote:
mathwhiz87 wrote:

Irvine had a median of 164, georgetown 168. That's far apart. Best Irvine is aiming for might be 165 but probably 164 given they probably had a decrease in applicants. Given the bad employment stats they won't be between 18-26, that's not even possible.

Your forecast may be too pessimistic.

FYI, they experienced unexpected demand last year and over-enrolled a bunch of people last year. Many were given scholarships to defer for a year. Assuming most of them will matriculate this fall, that's further support for the ease with which UCI will fill this 90-100 person class. Would an overall decrease in apps really affect UCI's admissions this year, given increased buzz + a small class size?

From what I've seen, higher medians than last year are expected. The 164/165 prediction is probably an underestimation. The whole idea of cutting the class size was to be ranked in the top 20 (164/165 is more of a top 30 range than top 20). I don't see them hitting the 168 median mark, but a 166 median (like USC) with around a 3.6 GPA median is actually feasible if enough people choose UCI instead of UCLA/USC.

Also, are we sure that this year's employment stats will be counted into the ranking? February is the 9th month after graduation and the ranking comes out in March. Could they count the employment stats of class of 2014?

MikeJD

Postby MikeJD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 pm

prāna wrote:
MikeJD wrote:
mathwhiz87 wrote:

Your forecast may be too pessimistic.

FYI, they experienced unexpected demand last year and over-enrolled a bunch of people last year. Many were given scholarships to defer for a year. Assuming most of them will matriculate this fall, that's further support for the ease with which UCI will fill this 90-100 person class. Would an overall decrease in apps really affect UCI's admissions this year, given increased buzz + a small class size?

From what I've seen, higher medians than last year are expected. The 164/165 prediction is probably an underestimation. The whole idea of cutting the class size was to be ranked in the top 20 (164/165 is more of a top 30 range than top 20). I don't see them hitting the 168 median mark, but a 166 median (like USC) with around a 3.6 GPA median is actually feasible if enough people choose UCI instead of UCLA/USC.

Also, are we sure that this year's employment stats will be counted into the ranking? February is the 9th month after graduation and the ranking comes out in March. Could they count the employment stats of class of 2014?

class of 2013 employment will be counted and that's a significant part of the ranking. Given that Irvine's was not good, it will hurt. Their only hope of being anywhere near the top 20 is if they score a couple of points higher than current t-20s in the peer review. The GPA's and LSAT scores will not be high enough given that they are not offering good money this time around.

prāna

Postby prāna » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm

MikeJD wrote:
class of 2013 employment will be counted and that's a significant part of the ranking. Given that Irvine's was not good, it will hurt. Their only hope of being anywhere near the top 20 is if they score a couple of points higher than current t-20s in the peer review. The GPA's and LSAT scores will not be high enough given that they are not offering good money this time around.

curious, what's your information source for this?

MikeJD

Postby MikeJD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 pm

prāna wrote:
MikeJD wrote:

curious, what's your information source for this?

What numbers are they aiming for?? I'm assuming that it will be roughly the same or one point higher, either way it is not high enough especially in the GPA.

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 am

MikeJD wrote:
mathwhiz87 wrote:

To clarify: I was simply saying that the students at ASW were considering that range of schools, not that UCI would pull a 168 median. Obviously, many students would attend Georgetown over UC Irvine, but it's encouraging to know that admitted students of the range of schools noted above are also considering UC Irvine.

I think their peer scores will be the most interesting part of their ranking, which if I remember, accounts for 40% of the score.

civalj

Postby civalj » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:59 pm

I just had my scholly hiked up from 8k-15k/yr today. I sent an email asking and that was the response. Not sure what your initial was or what you're aiming for, but negotiations can be done.

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:09 pm

civalj wrote:

I just had my scholly hiked up from 8k-15k/yr today. I sent an email asking and that was the response. Not sure what your initial was or what you're aiming for, but negotiations can be done.

Congrats! Are you going in the fall?

bloomingtea

Postby bloomingtea » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Just leaving this here for those still considering UCI, but received low scholarship offers:
I've put some thought into why UCI is not as generous with scholarships as previous years even though the c/o 2017 would factor into their 1st ranking. At first glance it seems odd that they aren't throwing more money at candidates with median or above median stats.

Where does scholarship money come from? A majority share comes from fundraising--alumni, donors, local organizations. Now let's face it UCI alumni working in PI = not much extra dough to donate :roll:. Not to say that they aren't generous people. Another large portion comes from someone else paying for your share (the person who paid sticker). Since they decreased their class size to maintain medians, less cash inflow from tuition is coming their way. Thus less people attending, means less people paying (close to) sticker, means less funds for the school, means less scholarship for people in general.

Essentially, you're paying a premium for the "small class size" and lower faculty to student ratio this cycle. Someone has to pay for the highly ranked faculty's salaries + Chemerinsky's brand name & salary + the new facility for law students. So, if you're still deciding on UCI or not, but are taken aback by the lack of generosity this cycle let's remember the old adages "you get what you pay for" (though for law school this may be hard to gauge when you start thinking about after graduation stats) and "if you don't like it, then you can leave it."

ETA:
Also some questions to ask yourself:
1) What are your goals?
One of UCI's goal is of course to make the top 20, but their main goal is to breed PI lawyers, since those sort of people are eligible for loan forgiveness later on. So, it doesn't matter how much tuition they charge you because they're betting on the fact that you'll just have your loan forgiven later on (PSLF), they'll pay the difference (LRAP program), equals profit.

2) Will the school help you achieve this goal?
-Are you PI oriented? If so, UCI may be your best choice.
-Not PI oriented? Maybe look at your options again.

3) Have you exhausted other avenues to obtain more financial aid (i.e. outside scholarships)?
http://www.law.uci.edu/admission/tuitio ... ships.html

4) Have you thought about what opportunities a J.D. actually affords you? Can you achieve your dream job without a J.D.?

5) Start budgeting--serious budgeting, like dollars and cents, itemize. Speak to the financial advisors, do the interest calculations.

6) What are you willing to pay for your education?
I won't go into how education as a whole is scam, but let's keep in mind that other professions also go into 6 digit debt. Most other graduate programs don't even provide scholarships.

tl;dr: Can't even summarize this. Good luck!

Disclaimer: I am a 0L, but this is advice given to me by mentors (some who hold a J.D.), other 1L, 2L, & 3Ls, and attorneys I know in real life.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Tue May 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Anyone else get assigned to Verano Place??

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Tue May 06, 2014 9:06 pm

You just got that email, didn't you? :D I did. Got assigned Verano place as well.

leprocrastinating

Postby leprocrastinating » Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 am

Hi there. UCI student here. With those numbers, choose UCLA. I've had a great experience with UCI, but I'd say the alumni network & name recognition is worth that price difference. Hope this gets to you in time.

yamsandmoreyams

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Wed May 07, 2014 12:21 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:Anyone else get assigned to Verano Place??

Hrun wrote:You just got that email, didn't you? :D I did. Got assigned Verano place as well.

I got Verano Place too. It's the only on-campus community that allows cats and I'm bringing a cat with me, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd rather live on campus than have to drive to school.

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:32 pm

yamsandmoreyams wrote:

Hrun wrote:You just got that email, didn't you? :D I did. Got assigned Verano place as well.

I got Verano Place too. It's the only on-campus community that allows cats and I'm bringing a cat with me, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd rather live on campus than have to drive to school.

Assigned to Palo Verde.

Waiting to see the floor plan allocation (my wife and I need a 2 BR) before signing the lease, but it is much cheaper than the immediate area. Also nice for one of us to save substantially on gas.

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Wed May 07, 2014 8:41 pm

yamsandmoreyams wrote:

Same reason I applied for Verano, needed somewhere that allowed for cats. I'm glad Irvine has graduate housing that allow for pets because apartments near Irvine are crazy expensive. Did you have a chance to check out what Verano looks like on the inside?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”