UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants -- (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 pm

..

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:10 pm

They will not raise their medians unless there is an increase in apps and a big one(not happening).. UMN lost their median to 164 a top 20 school. UCLA dropped to 167 and USC to 166 and WUSTL was giving full rides to maintain the 166. Vandey dropped by two to 167 and we don't know texas yet. All top 20 schools. UCI's median is 164 right now. They expect to keep increasing their class sizes and will try to raise their medians at the same time as apps are collapsing? yeah sure. What are they doing to do? Give everyone full rides and shrink class to 50 people like the innagural class?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:23 pm

..

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:28 pm

sublime wrote:
zman wrote:They will not raise their medians unless there is an increase in apps and a big one(not happening).. UMN lost their median to 164 a top 20 school. UCLA dropped to 167 and USC to 166 and WUSTL was giving full rides to maintain the 166. Vandey dropped by two to 167 and we don't know texas yet. All top 20 schools. UCI's median is 164 right now. They expect to keep increasing their class sizes and will try to raise their medians at the same time as apps are collapsing? yeah sure. What are they doing to do? Give everyone full rides and shrink class to 50 people like the innagural class?



We don't know if UMN is going to be a top 20 school at that median yet. I agree that it is unlikely, and I would imagine that they are just about out of money, but it could be done. I hope WUSTL is able to jump a few spots, should now be ahead of UMN and maybe they jump USC.

Also, to raise the median, you just need 50% plus one. If they had the money (and I don't think they do) they should aggressively poach people who want to be in Cali, but either could not get into USC/UCLA or would be paying almost sticker. That is their only way to have a hope of getting into that range eventually. That said, as a public school they will be lacking the resources of USC, and probably even UCLA.


Id go to UCI over hastings, loyola, davis, ect. But yea they're fucked in medians. That 164 wont be the lowest UCI will go

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:32 pm

..

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 pm

sublime wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
sublime wrote:
zman wrote:They will not raise their medians unless there is an increase in apps and a big one(not happening).. UMN lost their median to 164 a top 20 school. UCLA dropped to 167 and USC to 166 and WUSTL was giving full rides to maintain the 166. Vandey dropped by two to 167 and we don't know texas yet. All top 20 schools. UCI's median is 164 right now. They expect to keep increasing their class sizes and will try to raise their medians at the same time as apps are collapsing? yeah sure. What are they doing to do? Give everyone full rides and shrink class to 50 people like the innagural class?



We don't know if UMN is going to be a top 20 school at that median yet. I agree that it is unlikely, and I would imagine that they are just about out of money, but it could be done. I hope WUSTL is able to jump a few spots, should now be ahead of UMN and maybe they jump USC.

Also, to raise the median, you just need 50% plus one. If they had the money (and I don't think they do) they should aggressively poach people who want to be in Cali, but either could not get into USC/UCLA or would be paying almost sticker. That is their only way to have a hope of getting into that range eventually. That said, as a public school they will be lacking the resources of USC, and probably even UCLA.


Id go to UCI over hastings, loyola, davis, ect. But yea they're fucked in medians. That 164 wont be the lowest UCI will go



JdBagelBoy, do you know if the new medians zman cited are accurate? Particularly UMN to 164?


UMN at 164 is accurate, unfortunately.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 pm

..

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:11 pm

i wonder what chem is thinking

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:13 pm

..

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby gitguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:57 pm

sublime wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:i wonder what chem is thinking



If shit gets bad, I imagine he can go back to teaching at a T14, or dean at another school (I am undecided how I would feel about him coming to WUSTL) Unlike the students, he can walk away clean.


It seems this thread was hijacked from the get-go by people who have no intention of ever applying to UCI.

Be that as it may, I don't see Chemerinsky nonchalantly walking away from the school he founded when things get "bad".

BTW, Chem gets up every morning wondering if the much exalted Dr. Dre approves of him. He loses a lot of sleep over it, too.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:03 pm

..

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby gitguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:22 pm

sublime wrote:
gitguy wrote:
sublime wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:i wonder what chem is thinking



If shit gets bad, I imagine he can go back to teaching at a T14, or dean at another school (I am undecided how I would feel about him coming to WUSTL) Unlike the students, he can walk away clean.


It seems this thread was hijacked from the get-go by people who have no intention of ever applying to UCI.

Be that as it may, I don't see Chemerinsky nonchalantly walking away from the school he founded when things get "bad".

BTW, Chem gets up every morning wondering if the much exalted Dr. Dre approves of him. He loses a lot of sleep over it, too.


I don't know if he would, but he certainly could, relatively unscathed.


He starts a fresh law school in the worst market in decades, and let's say for argument's sake they rank around the top 30 near U Washington, Boston U, or ASU. With their numbers, that seems pretty reasonable not knowing what the 2014 incoming class will look like.

He just bested 80% of law schools in existence in the first ranking. Sorry UCI Law isn't UCLA Law (a school founded in 1950), but I'd call that a win.

Feel free to pick apart my logic. Truth is, nobody knows, but UCI will likely do pretty okay.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 pm

..

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:34 pm

I am happy to hear about UCI's positive employment and bar passage trends. I know someone who is a 2L there who have received offers from strong firms in LA (Milbank, Kirkland Ellis, Pillsbury) to name a few. I think the school is off to a great start. I also love how Chem takes an interest in his students and their employment. He has helped connect a number of them to employers and judges. Definitely looking forward to applying.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 pm

sublime wrote:
zman wrote:They will not raise their medians unless there is an increase in apps and a big one(not happening).. UMN lost their median to 164 a top 20 school. UCLA dropped to 167 and USC to 166 and WUSTL was giving full rides to maintain the 166. Vandey dropped by two to 167 and we don't know texas yet. All top 20 schools. UCI's median is 164 right now. They expect to keep increasing their class sizes and will try to raise their medians at the same time as apps are collapsing? yeah sure. What are they doing to do? Give everyone full rides and shrink class to 50 people like the innagural class?



We don't know if UMN is going to be a top 20 school at that median yet. I agree that it is unlikely, and I would imagine that they are just about out of money, but it could be done. I hope WUSTL is able to jump a few spots, should now be ahead of UMN and maybe they jump USC.

Also, to raise the median, you just need 50% plus one. If they had the money (and I don't think they do) they should aggressively poach people who want to be in Cali, but either could not get into USC/UCLA or would be paying almost sticker. That is their only way to have a hope of getting into that range eventually. That said, as a public school they will be lacking the resources of USC, and probably even UCLA.


UMN will probably still be a top 20 school because others will take a hit too on their median. WUSTL won't jump anyone, they just got back to top 20 from 23rd, if anything they might fall back.

To raise your medians in a falling app environment is almost impossible. USC/UCLA were giving more than 50% to those above the median. UCLA and USC aren't exactly loaded with cash.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am

What is up with Irvine's 500 word limit for a PS???? My PS is two pages, 900 words. This is discouraging me from applying. Ugh.

User avatar
martorem
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:11 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby martorem » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:59 am

AAJD2B wrote:What is up with Irvine's 500 word limit for a PS???? My PS is two pages, 900 words. This is discouraging me from applying. Ugh.


Are you sure that's not the separate, "Why UCI?" essay? When I applied it was that plus the regular 2 page PS.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby gitguy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:51 pm

martorem wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:What is up with Irvine's 500 word limit for a PS???? My PS is two pages, 900 words. This is discouraging me from applying. Ugh.


Are you sure that's not the separate, "Why UCI?" essay? When I applied it was that plus the regular 2 page PS.


Ditto. And why would that be a deterrent to begin with?

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby xJD2017x » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:i wonder what chem is thinking


He's making a lot of money. Life is good, ripping students off. It's all good right Dre?

prāna
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby prāna » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 pm

.
Last edited by prāna on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby gitguy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:14 pm

xJD2017x wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:i wonder what chem is thinking


He's making a lot of money. Life is good, ripping students off. It's all good right Dre?


Feel free to cast aspersions with Dre and the other trolls elsewhere since you're obviously not applying here.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:01 pm

gitguy wrote:
xJD2017x wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:i wonder what chem is thinking


He's making a lot of money. Life is good, ripping students off. It's all good right Dre?


Feel free to cast aspersions with Dre and the other trolls elsewhere since you're obviously not applying here.


That's what Dre does. Get use to it. It's not just UCI but that's his favorite.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby sublime » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 pm

..

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby rstahl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Checking in. UCI alumni.

Why on Earth is the PS 500 words? If the goal is to get as many applications as possible to have more applicants to pick and choose from, why would they choose to have their PS structure deviate so much from that of their competitors? My PS was already short - just under 2 pages with 12pt Times font, and just over 2 pages with 12.5pt Times font. With that length, I have 628 words and everything adds something I feel is essential. Frustrating :/

yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Checking in.

rstahl wrote:Checking in. UCI alumni.

Why on Earth is the PS 500 words? If the goal is to get as many applications as possible to have more applicants to pick and choose from, why would they choose to have their PS structure deviate so much from that of their competitors? My PS was already short - just under 2 pages with 12pt Times font, and just over 2 pages with 12.5pt Times font. With that length, I have 628 words and everything adds something I feel is essential. Frustrating :/


I found this to be annoying too. It would've been better for UCI to just combine the "Why UCI" essay with the personal statement and allow for a longer PS. After some editing I was only able to shorten my UCI PS to 600 words, I submitted it anyway.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eageragnostic and 15 guests