UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants -- (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gtrdo316

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby gtrdo316 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:56 pm

The schedule looks pretty good and that is a big travel/hotel reimbursement. I'm planning on being there for the entire thing. I think I'll try to stay with a student host if possible.

Everyone else?

yamsandmoreyams

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm

gtrdo316 wrote:The schedule looks pretty good and that is a big travel/hotel reimbursement. I'm planning on being there for the entire thing. I think I'll try to stay with a student host if possible.

Everyone else?

I just RSVPed for the whole weekend. Definitely liking the extent of their travel reimbursement. It'll be cool to sit in on one of Chemerinsky's classes too.

bcoco9292

Postby bcoco9292 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm

cmroberto wrote:wait listed :( what are my chances of getting off the wait list? I 100% want to attend UCI! does anyone know how many people are typically admitted off of the wait list each cycle? Not feeling totally hopeless because at least I wasn't rejected, but I don't want to get my hopes up either.

+1

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:03 pm

bcoco9292 wrote:
cmroberto wrote:wait listed :( what are my chances of getting off the wait list? I 100% want to attend UCI! does anyone know how many people are typically admitted off of the wait list each cycle? Not feeling totally hopeless because at least I wasn't rejected, but I don't want to get my hopes up either.

+1

Not to bum you guys out, but last year they actually overshot their matriculation target, leading to the offer of deferrals to several students, including myself. I would take that to mean they didn't really dig into the waitlist.

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:28 pm

is it worth sending in an application at this point if I am not above their median lsat?

Amalthea

Postby Amalthea » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Not to bum you guys out, but last year they actually overshot their matriculation target, leading to the offer of deferrals to several students, including myself. I would take that to mean they didn't really dig into the waitlist.

This terrifies me! I submitted in December, but they held my application until February because I was registered for the LSAT. I have a 3.0/174 and an offer of a full ride from Chapman, but I am seriously waiting for UCI to call like I'm sixteen and it's prom season. I wish they had an online status checker so that I could refresh it 500x daily, so I just keep refreshing my inbox instead. I'm very worried that they have overshot their target and/or dispersed all their scholarship money already, since I won't be attending without it.

Do they notify by e-mail and then postal mail or just postal mail?

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Amalthea wrote:

This terrifies me! I submitted in December, but they held my application until February because I was registered for the LSAT. I have a 3.0/174 and an offer of a full ride from Chapman, but I am seriously waiting for UCI to call like I'm sixteen and it's prom season. I wish they had an online status checker so that I could refresh it 500x daily, so I just keep refreshing my inbox instead. I'm very worried that they have overshot their target and/or dispersed all their scholarship money already, since I won't be attending without it.

I was waitlisted last week via snail mail. It sounds like admits go out via email. At least you have a free option with Chapman (as long as your COL expenses are taken care of obviously). Hang in there and GL!

pogman

Postby pogman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Amalthea wrote:

I am seriously waiting for UCI to call like I'm sixteen and it's prom season.

Most accurate description I've heard recently. +1

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Amalthea wrote:

I really hope you don't waste a 174 on Chapman, full ride or not. In this app. climate you must be getting some love from the upper T1, right? Unless you're not applying widely because of geographic constraint/family(?) Help me understand! I can say that I have surmised that UCI puts a significant emphasis on gpa strength compared to some other schools in their strata.

I hope you're applying further up the chain for schools where that score fits, because that's a bit out of UCI's wheelhouse. A 174 isn't going to have a more positive affect on their median LSAT than a 168 they could snag for a lighter scholarship. I think that's the calculus for a lot of schools.

Amalthea

Postby Amalthea » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 pm

I really hope you don't waste a 174 on Chapman, full ride or not.
I hope you're applying further up the chain for schools where that score fits, because that's a bit out of UCI's wheelhouse. A 174 isn't going to have a more positive affect on their median LSAT than a 168 they could snag for a lighter scholarship. I think that's the calculus for a lot of schools.

I applied to Chapman before I received my score and do not think I will attend, although I am going to at least tour the school because the idea of waiting another year to go to law school is killing me.

I applied to UCLA/USC but equally late in the application cycle. UCI is and was my dream school before this score made me seem overqualified, but I want to pursue public interest and think that we would be a good fit. I would be happy with UCLA as well. I do have a partner of three years who is unwilling to move and cheap living conditions with family in the area, so I do not want to leave Southern California (but I definitely applied to a few T1 schools out of state for scholarship negotiation).

All options considered, it might be crazy....but I still want Irvine!

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 am

Amalthea wrote:
I really hope you don't waste a 174 on Chapman, full ride or not.

I applied to Chapman before I received my score and do not think I will attend, although I am going to at least tour the school because the idea of waiting another year to go to law school is killing me.

I applied to UCLA/USC but equally late in the application cycle. UCI is and was my dream school before this score made me seem overqualified, but I want to pursue public interest and think that we would be a good fit. I would be happy with UCLA as well. I do have a partner of three years who is unwilling to move and cheap living conditions with family in the area, so I do not want to leave Southern California (but I definitely applied to a few T1 schools out of state for scholarship negotiation).

All options considered, it might be crazy....but I still want Irvine!

you are totally getting a full ride from Irvine IMO

logicspeaks

Postby logicspeaks » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:59 am

Amalthea, tour the school if you can. You can sign up for tours on their site.

purplethunder

Postby purplethunder » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:06 pm

I emailed the admissions office yesterday because I hadn't heard from them since november when they let me know they had received my application. They emailed back and let me know I would hear back in the next 2-3 weeks. They're slower than Davis.

pogman

Postby pogman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:13 pm

purplethunder wrote:I emailed the admissions office yesterday because I hadn't heard from them since november when they let me know they had received my application. They emailed back and let me know I would hear back in the next 2-3 weeks. They're slower than Davis.

How is that even reasonable? Isn't their deadline to send in your statement of intent April 12th? *sigh* the stress and waiting continues I guess.

gtrdo316

Postby gtrdo316 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:22 pm

I believe this year their statement of intent deadline is May 1st per the link below:

http://www.law.uci.edu/admission/deadlines.html

pogman

Postby pogman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:30 pm

gtrdo316 wrote:I believe this year their statement of intent deadline is May 1st per the link below:

http://www.law.uci.edu/admission/deadlines.html

Aaaah, my bad, was looking at the wrong year. Well, still wish they would hurry up :roll:

Amalthea

Postby Amalthea » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:06 pm

logicspeaks wrote:Amalthea, tour the school if you can. You can sign up for tours on their site.

It's funny you mention this because I just signed up for a tour yesterday! I signed up because I live in the area and wanted to get a feel for UCI's atmosphere, but is there a reason you recommend this from an admissions perspective? I have been curious as to whether signing up for law school tours signifies a particular interest in the school and gets noticed by ad comms or whether it is just a courtesy to prospective applicants that goes unnoticed by the higher-ups in the admissions process.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

Amalthea wrote:
logicspeaks wrote:Amalthea, tour the school if you can. You can sign up for tours on their site.

It's funny you mention this because I just signed up for a tour yesterday! I signed up because I live in the area and wanted to get a feel for UCI's atmosphere, but is there a reason you recommend this from an admissions perspective? I have been curious as to whether signing up for law school tours signifies a particular interest in the school and gets noticed by ad comms or whether it is just a courtesy to prospective applicants that goes unnoticed by the higher-ups in the admissions process.

It isn't a huge deal to adcomms. It does signify interest, but that doesn't really have any impact on decisions admission wise or scholarship wise. Information on visits is used mostly for internal tracking and getting a read on what yield will be like this cycle.

bobloblaw0227

Postby bobloblaw0227 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Checking in. I got an email from Irvine that the deadline was Saturday, and even though I submitted all my other apps in November, this seemed like a decent use of 25 bucks.

pogman

Postby pogman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:50 pm

bobloblaw0227 wrote:Checking in. I got an email from Irvine that the deadline was Saturday, and even though I submitted all my other apps in November, this seemed like a decent use of 25 bucks.

Deadline for what?

logicspeaks

Postby logicspeaks » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Amalthea wrote:

I'm going to say that given UCI's obvious interest in applicants who have a real interest in attending their school, it will make an impact on your app. UCI is the only school I saw with a required Why X essay and I've heard from multiple sources that their student body is known to absolutely love it there and that this helps them a lot in recruiting. This tells me that numbers are important but they also want students who want to be there and aren't just there because that's where the got the most money or because it's the highest ranked school they got into. That said, even if it doesn't make a difference in your app I think your impression of the school can make a HUGE difference in your decision whether or not to attend if you get accepted, given your situation. So I think your tour will be worth it in the worst case scenario, and could be a game-changer in the best case scenario.

logicspeaks

Postby logicspeaks » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:14 pm

pogman wrote:
bobloblaw0227 wrote:Checking in. I got an email from Irvine that the deadline was Saturday, and even though I submitted all my other apps in November, this seemed like a decent use of 25 bucks.

Deadline for what?

Deadline to submit an app to UCI is March 15th this year.

Moltenmama

Postby Moltenmama » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:57 pm

Amalthea wrote:

Please let us know what your impression is after the tour!

mantel

Postby mantel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:16 am

Hi Everyone. I'm a current UCI Law student. Big congratulations to admitted students! And good luck to those still waiting!

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have along the way. Please feel totally welcome to post or PM!

Amalthea

Postby Amalthea » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:50 pm

Moltenmama wrote:Please let us know what your impression is after the tour!

I really enjoyed the tour! Granted, this was my first law school tour so I don't have anything to measure it against. The recruitment officer was welcoming and supportive, and I thought she did an excellent job outlining UCI's strengths - particularly for someone like me who wants to practice in Orange County. I also sat in on an international law class and found the professor engaging (despite not comprehending half of the subject matter) and the atmosphere among students seemed very inviting and collegial. I know they don't rank their students, which must be part of it, but it also seemed like the student body was genuinely happy to be there and took pride in their fellow classmates for being a part of the school's emerging reputation.

Shoutout to the TLS lurker with the messenger bag that identified me! ;)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”