UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants -- (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:57 pm

thesunnybunny wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
eaternation wrote:I don't think they ever did. But why would you ever go to ttttt UCI. Jk. 1l here. Also in regards to usc/Ucla versus Uci. It's def a personal choice but many ppl I know chose Uci over usc/Ucla. My roommate and I chose Uci. If you r set on big law it makes less sense. If u r ok with outcomes outside of big law, it is a much safer choice.


To be fair, I wouldn't go to USC/UCLA with sights set on big law either. I think 1/3 of their classes get into big law. That's 66% that don't.


To be fair, I wouldn't go to any law school in SoCal if I wanted to do big law in SoCal...


That's true. If you are big law or bust, it only makes sense to go to a school with at least 50% big law outcome if you want to do big law.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Does UCI give ASW stipends?

yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Just got accepted through email. Applied early october. Numbers are 166, 3.45. Nice to finally have this one in the bag after such a long wait, if only USC could be a little faster too.

civalj
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby civalj » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:25 pm

wtrc wrote:This school will be in the T20 in the next 10 years, they seem to be doin it right..



I've heard this from many people, including recruiters, teachers and professors at UCI. But its LSAT/GPA seem to fit closer in the 20's range, and especially considering the school's newness and just forming reputation, what other factors are making so many eager to jump to such a projection?

civalj
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby civalj » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

yamsandmoreyams wrote:Just got accepted through email. Applied early october. Numbers are 166, 3.45. Nice to finally have this one in the bag after such a long wait, if only USC could be a little faster too.


My numbers are almost identical. Looks like I'll be hitting f5 on my gmail for the rest of the day.

eaternation
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby eaternation » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:35 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:Does UCI give ASW stipends?


they did last year if you traveled farther than 60 miles or so.

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:38 pm

eaternation wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Does UCI give ASW stipends?


they did last year if you traveled farther than 60 miles or so.


Nice! Was it a decent amount? I'd like to visit.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:49 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
eaternation wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Does UCI give ASW stipends?


they did last year if you traveled farther than 60 miles or so.


Nice! Was it a decent amount? I'd like to visit.


Warning... Irvine is super boring and bland. Well at least the immediate vicinity. It's right next to Newport Beach, Balboa, Huntington, Laguna though so just head to the beach cities for fun. (I'm from the area so I might be slightly biased).

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby aesth24 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:
eaternation wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:Does UCI give ASW stipends?


they did last year if you traveled farther than 60 miles or so.


Nice! Was it a decent amount? I'd like to visit.


Warning... Irvine is super boring and bland. Well at least the immediate vicinity. It's right next to Newport Beach, Balboa, Huntington, Laguna though so just head to the beach cities for fun. (I'm from the area so I might be slightly biased).


This. The city itself lacks any sort of night life (besides Club 10 next to John Wayne Airport) whatsoever besides for the undergrads dorm storming or having "ragers" in their apartments. The fraternity houses are a part of other UCI undergraduate housing so there aren't any crazy house parties either. Most 21+ year olds head out to the Newport bars on the peninsula, where many of the athletes and fraternity/sorority students of UCI also live.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:22 pm

aesth24 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:
Nice! Was it a decent amount? I'd like to visit.


Warning... Irvine is super boring and bland. Well at least the immediate vicinity. It's right next to Newport Beach, Balboa, Huntington, Laguna though so just head to the beach cities for fun. (I'm from the area so I might be slightly biased).


This. The city itself lacks any sort of night life (besides Club 10 next to John Wayne Airport) whatsoever besides for the undergrads dorm storming or having "ragers" in their apartments. The fraternity houses are a part of other UCI undergraduate housing so there aren't any crazy house parties either. Most 21+ year olds head out to the Newport bars on the peninsula, where many of the athletes and fraternity/sorority students of UCI also live.

Yup. It's not a "college town" by any means. But the social scene isn't that far away if you're looking for that.

Fun Fact: It is consistently at the top of the safest cities in America list... so there's that.

"Irvine, Calif. has been the safest city in the country for the 9th consecutive year. The city of just more than 200,000 has one of the country's top-ranked school systems, a median household income well above the national average, and a crime prevention method that includes keeping a thorough record of violence."

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/safe-cit ... z2rw0gsmN1

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm

Finally got in after completed in early December. 167 + intl GPA. How much $$$ we are looking at here? Probably won't be attending but it is still awesome to know this :)

User avatar
scretcher
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby scretcher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Hey ya'll.

Current 1L at UCI. PM me if you have any questions!

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm considering shooting an app at UCI, but am somewhat concerned about how new and not yet well established it is. Bar passage also dropped by 11 percentage points from 2012 to 2013. What are some of the reasons for why you guys are considering UCI, and that you'd recommend one to consider?

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm considering it cause of their current employment stats. Whether or not they'll be able to maintain them is the big question.

yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Got the admissions packet in the mail a few days ago. Scholarship was $20,000 per year granted I keep a minimum 2.5 GPA and stay in good academic standing. Very happy to have UCI giving this info out so soon after admittance.

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:I'm considering shooting an app at UCI, but am somewhat concerned about how new and not yet well established it is. Bar passage also dropped by 11 percentage points from 2012 to 2013. What are some of the reasons for why you guys are considering UCI, and that you'd recommend one to consider?


Though UCLA and USC have better biglaw numbers than UCI, UCI seems to do slightly better than those schools when it comes to straight up bar-passage-required jobs (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars). Those are pretty good numbers for such a new school, as it is already dominating UC Davis, and most other California law schools. UCI's federal clerkship rate currently dwarfs UCLA's and USC's, though you never know how long that will last based off of UCI being such a new school.

As a regional school, UCI is currently doing far better than almost all state flagship schools. According to LST, UCI seems to be doing as well as UCLA and USC for jobs: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=ca
Currently, I'd call it a strong regional school for the Southern California market.

That said, UCI is still incredibly new and those who are seriously considering it (among other schools with similar GPA and LSAT medians) should note that things could change for the worse very quickly if they did. UCI could lose its steam from dropping medians, as it can quite possibly fall into the ranks of the T40 instead of the school's desired T20 status. UCI is a definite risk and my considering on attendance hinges on whether I think it can stabilize as a decent law school that trails slightly behind UCLA+USC, or if it begins its quick descent as another UC Davis, or worse.

All the while you should consider the money aspect as well, a student who would end up paying sticker for UCLA could go to UCI with a decent scholarship. With that in mind, UCI doesn't seem like a bad choice, its employment numbers are good and if you're a candidate for UCLA or USC you could probably go to UCI cheaper. Though UCI is still so new and there are many unknowns as to how it will stabilize. There's still a lot to consider for UCI, both good and bad, but this is my simple version of how I see UCI currently.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kobe1020 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 pm

yamsandmoreyams wrote:Got the admissions packet in the mail a few days ago. Scholarship was $20,000 per year granted I keep a minimum 2.5 GPA and stay in good academic standing. Very happy to have UCI giving this info out so soon after admittance.

Lebrarian_Booker wrote:I'm considering shooting an app at UCI, but am somewhat concerned about how new and not yet well established it is. Bar passage also dropped by 11 percentage points from 2012 to 2013. What are some of the reasons for why you guys are considering UCI, and that you'd recommend one to consider?


Though UCLA and USC have better biglaw numbers than UCI, UCI seems to do slightly better than those schools when it comes to straight up bar-passage-required jobs (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars). Those are pretty good numbers for such a new school, as it is already dominating UC Davis, and most other California law schools. UCI's federal clerkship rate currently dwarfs UCLA's and USC's, though you never know how long that will last based off of UCI being such a new school.

As a regional school, UCI is currently doing far better than almost all state flagship schools. According to LST, UCI seems to be doing as well as UCLA and USC for jobs: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=ca
Currently, I'd call it a strong regional school for the Southern California market.

That said, UCI is still incredibly new and those who are seriously considering it (among other schools with similar GPA and LSAT medians) should note that things could change for the worse very quickly if they did. UCI could lose its steam from dropping medians, as it can quite possibly fall into the ranks of the T40 instead of the school's desired T20 status. UCI is a definite risk and my considering on attendance hinges on whether I think it can stabilize as a decent law school that trails slightly behind UCLA+USC, or if it begins its quick descent as another UC Davis, or worse.

All the while you should consider the money aspect as well, a student who would end up paying sticker for UCLA could go to UCI with a decent scholarship. With that in mind, UCI doesn't seem like a bad choice, its employment numbers are good and if you're a candidate for UCLA or USC you could probably go to UCI cheaper. Though UCI is still so new and there are many unknowns as to how it will stabilize. There's still a lot to consider for UCI, both good and bad, but this is my simple version of how I see UCI currently.


so the offer you have in hand right now, does it look appealing to u?

yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 pm

kobe1020 wrote:
so the offer you have in hand right now, does it look appealing to u?


Well, UCI has given me more money than other schools with similar medians (BU, BC, GWU, UC Davis). I think its a pretty good deal relative to these other schools, considering my LSAT of 166 and GPA of 3.45 probably wouldn't get much, if any, money at higher ranked schools.

That said, my situation is a little unique in that I will luckily have my tuition and living expenses covered by a wealthy relative, so debt isn't an issue. In my situation I would really rather take UCLA or USC at sticker over UCI because I would walk away from each school debt free. I don't think UCI is ever going to overtake UCLA or USC, but I think UCI could be worth it for the right price if that was the best an applicant could do for California schools.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kobe1020 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:09 am

yamsandmoreyams wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
so the offer you have in hand right now, does it look appealing to u?


Well, UCI has given me more money than other schools with similar medians (BU, BC, GWU, UC Davis). I think its a pretty good deal relative to these other schools, considering my LSAT of 166 and GPA of 3.45 probably wouldn't get much, if any, money at higher ranked schools.

That said, my situation is a little unique in that I will luckily have my tuition and living expenses covered by a wealthy relative, so debt isn't an issue. In my situation I would really rather take UCLA or USC at sticker over UCI because I would walk away from each school debt free. I don't think UCI is ever going to overtake UCLA or USC, but I think UCI could be worth it for the right price if that was the best an applicant could do for California schools.


sounds like a sweet deal

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:13 am

I'd go UCI with 20k/yr over USC sticker any day. That shit is crazy.

Congrats!

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kobe1020 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:40 am

ManoftheHour wrote:I'd go UCI with 20k/yr over USC sticker any day. That shit is crazy.

Congrats!


U didn't apply to UCI right? Good luck with USC lol

yamsandmoreyams
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:38 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I'd go UCI with 20k/yr over USC sticker any day. That shit is crazy.

Congrats!


Thanks! I'm definitely very happy with the amount of money and how fast UCI sent me the scholarship.
I would probably choose UCI over UCLA/USC if I wasn't already walking away from law school debt free. Though, I'm on the waitlist for UCLA and I haven't heard back from USC, so UCI may even be a pretty big possibility if things go awry at these other schools.

Good luck everyone for admissions and for scholarships!

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:43 pm

kobe1020 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I'd go UCI with 20k/yr over USC sticker any day. That shit is crazy.

Congrats!


U didn't apply to UCI right? Good luck with USC lol


I threw in an app. Still waiting to hear back.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kobe1020 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:56 am

Despite the hefty scholarships that u got from UCI, I'm hesitating that whether I should keep negotiating with them, it seems them the deal we've received from UCI is good enough comparing to other peer (similar median stats) schools.

Am I dumb for even asking about this?.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:41 pm

kobe1020 wrote:Despite the hefty scholarships that u got from UCI, I'm hesitating that whether I should keep negotiating with them, it seems them the deal we've received from UCI is good enough comparing to other peer (similar median stats) schools.

Am I dumb for even asking about this?.


Yes. Get your money!!! The worst they can say is no. They're not going to rescind your offer or anything, lol. Even if they up it by only $5000, that's still a lot of money! That's $5000 you can spend on something else. Like literally anything else.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:29 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:Despite the hefty scholarships that u got from UCI, I'm hesitating that whether I should keep negotiating with them, it seems them the deal we've received from UCI is good enough comparing to other peer (similar median stats) schools.

Am I dumb for even asking about this?.


Yes. Get your money!!! The worst they can say is no. They're not going to rescind your offer or anything, lol. Even if they up it by only $5000, that's still a lot of money! That's $5000 you can spend on something else. Like literally anything else.


seriously can you just go straight and ask for more money?. i thought money has to be matched .?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], blackpi, Ferrisjso and 16 guests