UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants -- (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BentleyLittle

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants --UCI Now Fully Accredited

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 pm

gtrdo316 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:So when are folks planning on moving in? I was thinking we could possibly schedule a TLS meet up for the weekend prior to orientation.

I'll be there August 7th or 8th. A TLS meet up that weekend sounds good.
Definitely. Me and another student on the Facebook group were talking about setting something up. We could do that Saturday or Sunday.

pulsedriver08

New

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2017 Applicants -- (2013-2014)

Post by pulsedriver08 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Would it be better to attend UC Davis with a 30k/year scholarship or UCI with a 15k/year one? I plan to practice in SoCal. Also, Loyola gave me 35k/year, so that's an option as well. Any recommendations?

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:54 pm

pulsedriver08 wrote:Would it be better to attend UC Davis with a 30k/year scholarship or UCI with a 15k/year one? I plan to practice in SoCal. Also, Loyola gave me 35k/year, so that's an option as well. Any recommendations?
I would have a hard time passing up $45K. You might try using that Davis scholly to get a bump on your UCI award.

pulsedriver08

New

Post by pulsedriver08 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:19 am

gitguy wrote:
pulsedriver08 wrote:Would it be better to attend UC Davis with a 30k/year scholarship or UCI with a 15k/year one? I plan to practice in SoCal. Also, Loyola gave me 35k/year, so that's an option as well. Any recommendations?
I would have a hard time passing up $45K. You might try using that Davis scholly to get a bump on your UCI award.
Are you referring to passing up $45k for Irvine? Davis gave double the scholarship and Loyola is over twice as much. But, Irvine is a great school though, so I am not sure what's the better option. Money is obviously important, but does it trump reputation? Loyola has dropped to 87th, and Davis is more renowned in NorCal. It's really a difficult choice.

And, I tried increasing the Irvine scholly, but they wouldn't budge. Furthermore, the need aid has been tapped out by prior applicants, so that's not an option either.

I would really appreciate any ideas. I am completely lost.

Thanks.

yamsandmoreyams

New

Post by yamsandmoreyams » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:09 pm

pulsedriver08 wrote:
gitguy wrote:
Are you referring to passing up $45k for Irvine? Davis gave double the scholarship and Loyola is over twice as much. But, Irvine is a great school though, so I am not sure what's the better option. Money is obviously important, but does it trump reputation? Loyola has dropped to 87th, and Davis is more renowned in NorCal. It's really a difficult choice.

And, I tried increasing the Irvine scholly, but they wouldn't budge. Furthermore, the need aid has been tapped out by prior applicants, so that's not an option either.

Thanks.
I wouldn't let rankings impact your decisions, based off of Loyola's employment prospects I don't think it's a good school to attend for any amount of debt. Davis gave me $15K more per year than Irvine did too, but I chose Irvine in the end because I wanted to work in Southern California. I also think Irvine will end up having better employment prospects than Davis.

Here's a good comparison between the three schools: http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/ ... loyola-la/
Davis' employment score is currently higher than Irvine's, but look at that school funded rate on Davis' part you can see it inflates Davis' employment. School funded jobs are not the kinds of jobs you want when graduating, they often don't pay much and are not long term jobs.

Both are about equal for big law. Irvine's got the third best federal clerkship rate in the country, which is an amazing achievement on Irvine's part, even though Chemerinsky's influence probably helped, this is still a huge deal for a new school to get that many clerkships.

At the end of the day though, both are regional schools. If you would rather work in Norcal then I would recommend Davis, but if you want Socal then Irvine. If you are fine with either then I think Irvine will end up being the better choice by the time we graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:39 am

pulsedriver08 wrote:
gitguy wrote:

Thanks.
Too bad they wouldn't move on the scholly. I was definitely saying that the extra $45K from Davis would be nice. That's like saving yourself probably $70K over the repayment period. If that's an issue for you.

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 pm

What's up guys. A few of us are getting together next Sunday the 10th at Gina's Pizza on Campus and Culver. It's close to student housing so it's convenient even if you don't have a car yet. Feel free to PM me if you plan to attend!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”