American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Sheryl wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
Sheryl wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha


Congrats! Although I do agree with other guys' analysis between SMU and AU.

Do you mind sharing your LSAT and GPA numbers?


I withdrew this morning. I have a significant scholly at SMU and American kind of made my mind up for me given the amount of debt I'd accumulate.

haha I don't have $900 to throw away either - It was going to kill me to do that. Glad I don't have to.

Everyone is going to hate me when I post my numbers because, honestly, they aren't great - My highest LSAT at the time I applied to SMU was a 150 and miraculously I was accepted less than a week later. My GPA is about a 3.85. The only thing I'm thinking that could have saved me is my softs/unusual history. They actually mentioned that in my acceptance letter (They liked my history, blah blah blah)
- I graduated highschool at 16 - am a licensed cosmetologist - licensed phlebotomist - Criminal justice/poli sci tutor at my University...

I do know I'm lucky I got into SMU, though. So, I might as well not complain and just stick to it ;)


SMU is definitely a good law school. My LSAT score is not high either, only 151, but I have an LL.M degree from WUSTL. Don't know whether AU will consider my foreign background and LL.M degree tho.

Congrats again and wish you all the best in law school life!


Thank you! You as well :)

Sheryl
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Sheryl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm

My LSAT is only 151, altho I have an LL.M degree of Washington U and a foreign bachelor degree of law. I feel that they are not gonna consider me since I am below median... :(

simplelyfe
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby simplelyfe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:02 pm

any waitlist movement?

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm

simplelyfe wrote:any waitlist movement?


Haven't heard anything

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5682
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BVest » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Two years ago, emails to a few people went out April 30 asking if you wanted to stay on the list. HTH

April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached.

Important: Candidates offered a seat in the entering class must commit to American University Washington College of Law and submit a non-refundable $900 seat deposit by credit card or e-check via the AU web portal within 24 hours of receiving the offer.

Sheryl
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Sheryl » Thu May 01, 2014 1:21 pm

BVest wrote:Two years ago, emails to a few people went out April 30 asking if you wanted to stay on the list. HTH

April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached.

Important: Candidates offered a seat in the entering class must commit to American University Washington College of Law and submit a non-refundable $900 seat deposit by credit card or e-check via the AU web portal within 24 hours of receiving the offer.


I wonder how they select files for consideration by the Committee on Admissions? Has the admissions counselor get the right to select files and send them to the Admissions Committee?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5682
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BVest » Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Sheryl wrote:
BVest wrote:Two years ago, emails to a few people went out April 30 asking if you wanted to stay on the list. HTH

April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached.

Important: Candidates offered a seat in the entering class must commit to American University Washington College of Law and submit a non-refundable $900 seat deposit by credit card or e-check via the AU web portal within 24 hours of receiving the offer.


I wonder how they select files for consideration by the Committee on Admissions? Has the admissions counselor get the right to select files and send them to the Admissions Committee?


Based on the outcome of that email (for the other TLSers who got it), it was a thinly veiled YP acceptance. The committee had already picked which WLers they were going to accept before they sent the email. The email was just to scare off people not interested and boost their selectivity numbers.

User avatar
amw5471
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby amw5471 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:49 pm

BVest wrote:
Sheryl wrote:
BVest wrote:Two years ago, emails to a few people went out April 30 asking if you wanted to stay on the list. HTH

April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached.

Important: Candidates offered a seat in the entering class must commit to American University Washington College of Law and submit a non-refundable $900 seat deposit by credit card or e-check via the AU web portal within 24 hours of receiving the offer.


I wonder how they select files for consideration by the Committee on Admissions? Has the admissions counselor get the right to select files and send them to the Admissions Committee?


Based on the outcome of that email (for the other TLSers who got it), it was a thinly veiled YP acceptance. The committee had already picked which WLers they were going to accept before they sent the email. The email was just to scare off people not interested and boost their selectivity numbers.


That is kind of what I figured when I got the notification before Good Friday. Responded to the email and had a phone call within an hour of sending.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 pm

I think I am about to withdraw. Will decide by tomorrow. I am not going to wait until the end of july just to get plucked off the list

Oh, and I got the OCI form from last year.

Hint. hint. - While Big firms recruit at AU, they actually do not, they "resume collect." I am not going to pay 210,000 just for my resume to be in a special pile.

thewaxtadpole
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby thewaxtadpole » Fri May 02, 2014 9:57 am

on the wait list with relatively low grades/scores and applied late.

strong northeastern private school UG with high profile entertainment internships and steady work experience

Sheryl
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Sheryl » Thu May 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Any wailisted students hear from the Admissions Office?

CrystalLee
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:59 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CrystalLee » Thu May 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Withdrew today, hope my spot goes to one of you. Good Luck!!

laurvb
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby laurvb » Fri May 09, 2014 3:35 am

.
Last edited by laurvb on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrystalLee
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:59 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CrystalLee » Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 am

Does anyone personally know anyone that actually graduated from here??

Yes, a few of our Law Clerks are American graduates, and they all say great things about the school.

laurvb
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby laurvb » Fri May 09, 2014 2:08 pm

.
Last edited by laurvb on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

monalisa
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby monalisa » Tue May 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Really excited to have just gotten off the waitlist! Debating American v. Wake Forest at this point. Want to practice hopefully international corporate litigation (so specific, I know) upon graduation. Also open to working for the government (like the SEC or Department of Commerce) or an international agency (like the World Bank etc.) Have a background in financial consulting. Would like to practice in NY or DC.

Wake is a much better school, with better employment numbers, but I really like the "flavor" of American. I also like the city life, though would need to pay more for COL in DC. Any opinions?

Law2017
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Law2017 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:57 pm

I need some input. I have deposited at American and really liked the school. I am not thrilled with COA especially considering the drop in rankings but wanted to live in DC. I recently got off the WL at Washington and Lee with decent money too. My issue with W&L is that its in a small tow and i was really looking forward to living in a big city and the opportunities that DC has. Other then that i loved W&L. I am interested in business/international law. What do you guys think?

monalisa
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby monalisa » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:43 pm

I'd choose American over W&L! I chose American in the end :) got a scholly that made a difference.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Law2017 wrote:I need some input. I have deposited at American and really liked the school. I am not thrilled with COA especially considering the drop in rankings but wanted to live in DC. I recently got off the WL at Washington and Lee with decent money too. My issue with W&L is that its in a small tow and i was really looking forward to living in a big city and the opportunities that DC has. Other then that i loved W&L. I am interested in business/international law. What do you guys think?


W&L has about a 10% higher employment rating and about a 10% higher Biglaw / fed clerk percentage. Plus you won't pay through the nose in COL to live in a closet in DC.

W&L by a mile. American is on life-support thanks to sites like LST. Don't bury yourself in debt for a <50% chance of becoming a lawyer. Go to W&L, minimize your debt, THEN go to DC and actually practice.

oblitigate
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:39 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby oblitigate » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Nucky wrote:
Law2017 wrote:I need some input. I have deposited at American and really liked the school. I am not thrilled with COA especially considering the drop in rankings but wanted to live in DC. I recently got off the WL at Washington and Lee with decent money too. My issue with W&L is that its in a small tow and i was really looking forward to living in a big city and the opportunities that DC has. Other then that i loved W&L. I am interested in business/international law. What do you guys think?


W&L has about a 10% higher employment rating and about a 10% higher Biglaw / fed clerk percentage. Plus you won't pay through the nose in COL to live in a closet in DC.

W&L by a mile. American is on life-support thanks to sites like LST. Don't bury yourself in debt for a <50% chance of becoming a lawyer. Go to W&L, minimize your debt, THEN go to DC and actually practice.


Don't go to W&L if you want to practice in DC. Don't go to American either. Fwiw my buddy who graduated top 20% at American this yr said every single job posting outside of OCI was "top 5% need only apply" and as low as top 10%. DC is hard up on that gpa and Harvard law. He moved back to Texas and is doing contract work. Real talk

vthokies88
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby vthokies88 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 pm

oblitigate wrote:
Nucky wrote:
Law2017 wrote:I need some input. I have deposited at American and really liked the school. I am not thrilled with COA especially considering the drop in rankings but wanted to live in DC. I recently got off the WL at Washington and Lee with decent money too. My issue with W&L is that its in a small tow and i was really looking forward to living in a big city and the opportunities that DC has. Other then that i loved W&L. I am interested in business/international law. What do you guys think?


W&L has about a 10% higher employment rating and about a 10% higher Biglaw / fed clerk percentage. Plus you won't pay through the nose in COL to live in a closet in DC.

W&L by a mile. American is on life-support thanks to sites like LST. Don't bury yourself in debt for a <50% chance of becoming a lawyer. Go to W&L, minimize your debt, THEN go to DC and actually practice.


Don't go to W&L if you want to practice in DC. Don't go to American either. Fwiw my buddy who graduated top 20% at American this yr said every single job posting outside of OCI was "top 5% need only apply" and as low as top 10%. DC is hard up on that gpa and Harvard law. He moved back to Texas and is doing contract work. Real talk


This last post regarding OCI is a total lie...just FYI...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”