American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:07 am

Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If I don't hear anything I'll be heading to Dallas in the fall (SMU)

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 am

Mandakay16 wrote:Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If I don't hear anything I'll be heading to Dallas in the fall (SMU)


If you got SMU, why would you worry about American? SMU is a much better school in a better area and almost over 20% more in law jobs.

User avatar
amw5471
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby amw5471 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am

Mandakay16 wrote:Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If I don't hear anything I'll be heading to Dallas in the fall (SMU)


I'll trade you :lol:

User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If I don't hear anything I'll be heading to Dallas in the fall (SMU)


If you got SMU, why would you worry about American? SMU is a much better school in a better area and almost over 20% more in law jobs.


No, it's a good school and I'm happy about it. I just always planned on going the government route and I just thought American would be a better option, no?

I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:59 am

Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If I don't hear anything I'll be heading to Dallas in the fall (SMU)


If you got SMU, why would you worry about American? SMU is a much better school in a better area and almost over 20% more in law jobs.


No, it's a good school and I'm happy about it. I just always planned on going the government route and I just thought American would be a better option, no?

I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..


If yes, then tell them yes. You will have 24 hours to make a $900 deposit

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also

User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 am

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If I don't hear anything I'll be heading to Dallas in the fall (SMU)


If you got SMU, why would you worry about American? SMU is a much better school in a better area and almost over 20% more in law jobs.


No, it's a good school and I'm happy about it. I just always planned on going the government route and I just thought American would be a better option, no?

I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..


If yes, then tell them yes. You will have 24 hours to make a $900 deposit

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also


I just don't know about Texas - If I went to SMU would I be stuck there?

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

Mandakay16 wrote:
I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..


If yes, then tell them yes. You will have 24 hours to make a $900 deposit

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also[/quote]

I just don't know about Texas - If I went to SMU would I be stuck there?

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh[/quote][/quote]

If you dont know about it, why did you apply......

SMU is a regional. You will be a texas lawyer. AU is regional, only DC really and then you probably will not be a lawyer, statistically speaking. You may get a JD Advantage job, but not a full lawyer job.

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?

User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 am

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..


If yes, then tell them yes. You will have 24 hours to make a $900 deposit

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also


I just don't know about Texas - If I went to SMU would I be stuck there?

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh[/quote][/quote]

If you dont know about it, why did you apply......

SMU is a regional. You will be a texas lawyer. AU is regional, only DC really and then you probably will not be a lawyer, statistically speaking. You may get a JD Advantage job, but not a full lawyer job.

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?[/quote]

Would you say the same thing about pepperdine?

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 am

Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..


If yes, then tell them yes. You will have 24 hours to make a $900 deposit

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also


I just don't know about Texas - If I went to SMU would I be stuck there?

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh
[/quote]

If you dont know about it, why did you apply......

SMU is a regional. You will be a texas lawyer. AU is regional, only DC really and then you probably will not be a lawyer, statistically speaking. You may get a JD Advantage job, but not a full lawyer job.

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?[/quote]

Would you say the same thing about pepperdine?[/quote]

Generally outside of the T-14 and a few other select schools you will probably start your career in the state/region of the school you attend unless you have legit ties to get you to another place.

So...
American=DC
SMU= Dallas, or another Texas city
Pepperdine= Malibu, or somewhere in Cali

User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..


If yes, then tell them yes. You will have 24 hours to make a $900 deposit

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also


I just don't know about Texas - If I went to SMU would I be stuck there?

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh


If you dont know about it, why did you apply......

SMU is a regional. You will be a texas lawyer. AU is regional, only DC really and then you probably will not be a lawyer, statistically speaking. You may get a JD Advantage job, but not a full lawyer job.

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?[/quote]

Would you say the same thing about pepperdine?[/quote]

Generally outside of the T-14 and a few other select schools you will probably start your career in the state/region of the school you attend unless you have legit ties to get you to another place.

So...
American=DC
SMU= Dallas, or another Texas city
Pepperdine= Malibu, or somewhere in Cali[/quote]

Thanks guys

- Seriously, I've been searching for some honest input

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am

^^^This is exactly correct.

So the question is, do you want to be a lawyer and live in Texas

Or have a less than likely chance of lawyer and live in DC.

Me: I want to be a lawyer, if not, this debt is meaningless and you should pursue another degree/work. I would take SMU in a heartbeat if I could get it. Low cost of living, decent employment options and a growing city/Region

I applied to American for specific reasons, however, I would honestly say for me and my tastes, it is at the bottom of the list. That is why I am hoping I do not get the email, because it will force me to make a decision before I have other options on the table. 900 dollar deposit (in one shot mind you), + a $185,000+ Buy-In plus expensive DC living (been there, done that) is way too rich for my blood

rowyourboat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 am

SMU is a regional. You will be a texas lawyer. AU is regional, only DC really and then you probably will not be a lawyer, statistically speaking. You may get a JD Advantage job, but not a full lawyer job.

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?[/quote]

Would you say the same thing about pepperdine?[/quote]

Generally outside of the T-14 and a few other select schools you will probably start your career in the state/region of the school you attend unless you have legit ties to get you to another place.

So...
American=DC
SMU= Dallas, or another Texas city
Pepperdine= Malibu, or somewhere in Cali[/quote]

Thanks guys

- Seriously, I've been searching for some honest input[/quote]



You got into crazy good schools! I grew up in DC two blocks from AU Law and I can tell you that the majority of AU Law graduates don't end up being a lawyer down the road. Many just use the law degree advantage, without actually practicing law. SMU is a much better school, and I would seriously consider it if I were you.

You got into some good schools...mind sharing with us what your numbers were??

User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?


limited.

User avatar
amw5471
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby amw5471 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?


I received 12.5k off the waitlist

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?


I think the honest answer will be yes there is a chance, but probably not enough of one to make a sizeable dent in COA at American. But, I could be completely wrong

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?


You are making this more complex than what it is.

1. If you want to go to American (and give up SMU...which i again WOULD NOT do), just say yes. You realize by not giving them an answer, they will assume no if your application really is in front of the committee.

2. They make you an offer. Ask about financial aid. If they tell you and you dont like it, tell them no thanks.

Simple. Bing. Bam. Boom. Done

User avatar
amw5471
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby amw5471 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?


You are making this more complex than what it is.

1. If you want to go to American (and give up SMU...which i again WOULD NOT do), just say yes. You realize by not giving them an answer, they will assume no if your application really is in front of the committee.

2. They make you an offer. Ask about financial aid. If they tell you and you dont like it, tell them no thanks.

Simple. Bing. Bam. Boom. Done


A voice of reason, read and process the above.

User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 am

I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 am

Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha


Jeez wish I had $900 to throw around and not attend.

must be nice

User avatar
amw5471
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby amw5471 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 am

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha


Jeez wish I had $900 to throw around and not attend.

must be nice


If you're seriously undecided it is kind of a drop in the bucket compared to the 200k of debt you could be getting from law school. Mandakay, think long and hard about your decision and don't drop that $900 lightly. If you have to, talk it over with your parents, make a pro and con list, etc. Good luck with your decision, I hope you end up at the place that is best for you.

Sheryl
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Sheryl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 am

Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha


Congrats! Although I do agree with other guys' analysis between SMU and AU.

Do you mind sharing your LSAT and GPA numbers?

User avatar
Mandakay16
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Sheryl wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha


Congrats! Although I do agree with other guys' analysis between SMU and AU.

Do you mind sharing your LSAT and GPA numbers?


I withdrew this morning. I have a significant scholly at SMU and American kind of made my mind up for me given the amount of debt I'd accumulate.

haha I don't have $900 to throw away either - It was going to kill me to do that. Glad I don't have to.

Everyone is going to hate me when I post my numbers because, honestly, they aren't great - My highest LSAT at the time I applied to SMU was a 150 and miraculously I was accepted less than a week later. My GPA is about a 3.85. The only thing I'm thinking that could have saved me is my softs/unusual history. They actually mentioned that in my acceptance letter (They liked my history, blah blah blah)
- I graduated highschool at 16 - am a licensed cosmetologist - licensed phlebotomist - Criminal justice/poli sci tutor at my University...

I do know I'm lucky I got into SMU, though. So, I might as well not complain and just stick to it ;)

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:
Sheryl wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha


Congrats! Although I do agree with other guys' analysis between SMU and AU.

Do you mind sharing your LSAT and GPA numbers?


I withdrew this morning. I have a significant scholly at SMU and American kind of made my mind up for me given the amount of debt I'd accumulate.

haha I don't have $900 to throw away either - It was going to kill me to do that. Glad I don't have to.

Everyone is going to hate me when I post my numbers because, honestly, they aren't great - My highest LSAT at the time I applied to SMU was a 150 and miraculously I was accepted less than a week later. My GPA is about a 3.85. The only thing I'm thinking that could have saved me is my softs/unusual history. They actually mentioned that in my acceptance letter (They liked my history, blah blah blah)
- I graduated highschool at 16 - am a licensed cosmetologist - licensed phlebotomist - Criminal justice/poli sci tutor at my University...

I do know I'm lucky I got into SMU, though. So, I might as well not complain and just stick to it ;)


UMM yes I would say so. Congrats on choosing SMU.

Sheryl
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Sheryl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:
Sheryl wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha


Congrats! Although I do agree with other guys' analysis between SMU and AU.

Do you mind sharing your LSAT and GPA numbers?


I withdrew this morning. I have a significant scholly at SMU and American kind of made my mind up for me given the amount of debt I'd accumulate.

haha I don't have $900 to throw away either - It was going to kill me to do that. Glad I don't have to.

Everyone is going to hate me when I post my numbers because, honestly, they aren't great - My highest LSAT at the time I applied to SMU was a 150 and miraculously I was accepted less than a week later. My GPA is about a 3.85. The only thing I'm thinking that could have saved me is my softs/unusual history. They actually mentioned that in my acceptance letter (They liked my history, blah blah blah)
- I graduated highschool at 16 - am a licensed cosmetologist - licensed phlebotomist - Criminal justice/poli sci tutor at my University...

I do know I'm lucky I got into SMU, though. So, I might as well not complain and just stick to it ;)


SMU is definitely a good law school. My LSAT score is not high either, only 151, but I have an LL.M degree from WUSTL. Don't know whether AU will consider my foreign background and LL.M degree tho.

Congrats again and wish you all the best in law school life!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, Ferrisjso, Google Feedfetcher, pandaaa, staypuff and 15 guests