American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mandakay16

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:07 am

Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If I don't hear anything I'll be heading to Dallas in the fall (SMU)

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 am

Mandakay16 wrote:Another waitlist checking in - I really like American :(

If you got SMU, why would you worry about American? SMU is a much better school in a better area and almost over 20% more in law jobs.

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am

I'll trade you :lol:

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am

BankruptMe wrote:

If you got SMU, why would you worry about American? SMU is a much better school in a better area and almost over 20% more in law jobs.

No, it's a good school and I'm happy about it. I just always planned on going the government route and I just thought American would be a better option, no?

I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:59 am

Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:

No, it's a good school and I'm happy about it. I just always planned on going the government route and I just thought American would be a better option, no?

I got the notorious email this morning asking if I had a continued interest and be prepared to make the deposit because my application was being taken to committee..

If yes, then tell them yes. You will have 24 hours to make a $900 deposit

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 am

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also

I just don't know about Texas - If I went to SMU would I be stuck there?

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

Mandakay16 wrote:

I would stick with SMU if I were you...Im sure most of the people here would probably agree also[/quote]

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh[/quote][/quote]

If you dont know about it, why did you apply......

SMU is a regional. You will be a texas lawyer. AU is regional, only DC really and then you probably will not be a lawyer, statistically speaking. You may get a JD Advantage job, but not a full lawyer job.

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 am

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

I love how American has the most ridiculous deposit amount, too. $900 - yeesh[/quote][/quote]

SMU is a regional. You will be a texas lawyer. AU is regional, only DC really and then you probably will not be a lawyer, statistically speaking. You may get a JD Advantage job, but not a full lawyer job.

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?[/quote]

Would you say the same thing about pepperdine?

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 am

Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

[/quote]

So do you want a strong chance to be a lawyer (About 7 out of 10) or do you want a less than likely chance (4 out of 10) but want a JD advantage job?[/quote]

Would you say the same thing about pepperdine?[/quote]

Generally outside of the T-14 and a few other select schools you will probably start your career in the state/region of the school you attend unless you have legit ties to get you to another place.

So...
American=DC
SMU= Dallas, or another Texas city
Pepperdine= Malibu, or somewhere in Cali

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

Generally outside of the T-14 and a few other select schools you will probably start your career in the state/region of the school you attend unless you have legit ties to get you to another place.

So...
American=DC
Pepperdine= Malibu, or somewhere in Cali[/quote]

Thanks guys

- Seriously, I've been searching for some honest input

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am

^^^This is exactly correct.

So the question is, do you want to be a lawyer and live in Texas

Or have a less than likely chance of lawyer and live in DC.

Me: I want to be a lawyer, if not, this debt is meaningless and you should pursue another degree/work. I would take SMU in a heartbeat if I could get it. Low cost of living, decent employment options and a growing city/Region

I applied to American for specific reasons, however, I would honestly say for me and my tastes, it is at the bottom of the list. That is why I am hoping I do not get the email, because it will force me to make a decision before I have other options on the table. 900 dollar deposit (in one shot mind you), + a $185,000+ Buy-In plus expensive DC living (been there, done that) is way too rich for my blood

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 am

So...
American=DC
Pepperdine= Malibu, or somewhere in Cali[/quote]

Thanks guys

- Seriously, I've been searching for some honest input[/quote]

You got into crazy good schools! I grew up in DC two blocks from AU Law and I can tell you that the majority of AU Law graduates don't end up being a lawyer down the road. Many just use the law degree advantage, without actually practicing law. SMU is a much better school, and I would seriously consider it if I were you.

You got into some good schools...mind sharing with us what your numbers were??

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:Is there any chance of scholly coming off the waitlist?

limited.

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:07 pm

I received 12.5k off the waitlist

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

I think the honest answer will be yes there is a chance, but probably not enough of one to make a sizeable dent in COA at American. But, I could be completely wrong

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm

You are making this more complex than what it is.

1. If you want to go to American (and give up SMU...which i again WOULD NOT do), just say yes. You realize by not giving them an answer, they will assume no if your application really is in front of the committee.

2. They make you an offer. Ask about financial aid. If they tell you and you dont like it, tell them no thanks.

Simple. Bing. Bam. Boom. Done

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 pm

BankruptMe wrote:

You are making this more complex than what it is.

1. If you want to go to American (and give up SMU...which i again WOULD NOT do), just say yes. You realize by not giving them an answer, they will assume no if your application really is in front of the committee.

2. They make you an offer. Ask about financial aid. If they tell you and you dont like it, tell them no thanks.

Simple. Bing. Bam. Boom. Done

A voice of reason, read and process the above.

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 am

I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 am

Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Jeez wish I had $900 to throw around and not attend.

must be nice

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 am

BankruptMe wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Jeez wish I had $900 to throw around and not attend.

must be nice

If you're seriously undecided it is kind of a drop in the bucket compared to the 200k of debt you could be getting from law school. Mandakay, think long and hard about your decision and don't drop that $900 lightly. If you have to, talk it over with your parents, make a pro and con list, etc. Good luck with your decision, I hope you end up at the place that is best for you.

Sheryl

Postby Sheryl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 am

Congrats! Although I do agree with other guys' analysis between SMU and AU.

Do you mind sharing your LSAT and GPA numbers?

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Sheryl wrote:

I withdrew this morning. I have a significant scholly at SMU and American kind of made my mind up for me given the amount of debt I'd accumulate.

haha I don't have $900 to throw away either - It was going to kill me to do that. Glad I don't have to.

Everyone is going to hate me when I post my numbers because, honestly, they aren't great - My highest LSAT at the time I applied to SMU was a 150 and miraculously I was accepted less than a week later. My GPA is about a 3.85. The only thing I'm thinking that could have saved me is my softs/unusual history. They actually mentioned that in my acceptance letter (They liked my history, blah blah blah)
- I graduated highschool at 16 - am a licensed cosmetologist - licensed phlebotomist - Criminal justice/poli sci tutor at my University...

I do know I'm lucky I got into SMU, though. So, I might as well not complain and just stick to it ;)

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:
Sheryl wrote:

I withdrew this morning. I have a significant scholly at SMU and American kind of made my mind up for me given the amount of debt I'd accumulate.

haha I don't have $900 to throw away either - It was going to kill me to do that. Glad I don't have to.

Everyone is going to hate me when I post my numbers because, honestly, they aren't great - My highest LSAT at the time I applied to SMU was a 150 and miraculously I was accepted less than a week later. My GPA is about a 3.85. The only thing I'm thinking that could have saved me is my softs/unusual history. They actually mentioned that in my acceptance letter (They liked my history, blah blah blah)
- I graduated highschool at 16 - am a licensed cosmetologist - licensed phlebotomist - Criminal justice/poli sci tutor at my University...

I do know I'm lucky I got into SMU, though. So, I might as well not complain and just stick to it ;)

UMM yes I would say so. Congrats on choosing SMU.

Sheryl

Postby Sheryl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:
Sheryl wrote:

SMU is definitely a good law school. My LSAT score is not high either, only 151, but I have an LL.M degree from WUSTL. Don't know whether AU will consider my foreign background and LL.M degree tho.

Congrats again and wish you all the best in law school life!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”