American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby haus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:50 pm

rodmanhust wrote:actually I was accepted by Loyola as well; but would favor DC over Chicago.

Most years you would have a lot less snow in DC than Chicago, but this year may be an exception....

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:27 pm

anything new?

it appears if the date changes, an answer can come from 1 day to a month away

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby PattyCake » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:06 pm

BankruptMe wrote:anything new?

it appears if the date changes, an answer can come from 1 day to a month away


Called over 2 weeks ago to confirm that my Feb score was received, was told to email admissions but not to worry because she was sure that they must have it. Hadn't had any movement since 12/17 so I decided to call again just to confirm, because I still haven't had a date change since December. Been trying to call for 2 business days now, and so far no one is answering at any of the appropriate contact lines or at the main admissions desk. ...Zombie apocalypse?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby haus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm

PattyCake wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:anything new?

it appears if the date changes, an answer can come from 1 day to a month away


Called over 2 weeks ago to confirm that my Feb score was received, was told to email admissions but not to worry because she was sure that they must have it. Hadn't had any movement since 12/17 so I decided to call again just to confirm, because I still haven't had a date change since December. Been trying to call for 2 business days now, and so far no one is answering at any of the appropriate contact lines or at the main admissions desk. ...Zombie apocalypse?

The school is closed due to the winter storm that passed through.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby PattyCake » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:21 pm

haus wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:anything new?

it appears if the date changes, an answer can come from 1 day to a month away


Called over 2 weeks ago to confirm that my Feb score was received, was told to email admissions but not to worry because she was sure that they must have it. Hadn't had any movement since 12/17 so I decided to call again just to confirm, because I still haven't had a date change since December. Been trying to call for 2 business days now, and so far no one is answering at any of the appropriate contact lines or at the main admissions desk. ...Zombie apocalypse?

The school is closed due to the winter storm that passed through.


Oh. Well, I suppose that's a valid reason not to answer the phone.

llamall
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby llamall » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:44 pm

PattyCake wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:anything new?

it appears if the date changes, an answer can come from 1 day to a month away


Called over 2 weeks ago to confirm that my Feb score was received, was told to email admissions but not to worry because she was sure that they must have it. Hadn't had any movement since 12/17 so I decided to call again just to confirm, because I still haven't had a date change since December. Been trying to call for 2 business days now, and so far no one is answering at any of the appropriate contact lines or at the main admissions desk. ...Zombie apocalypse?


I'm at the same date change... I've contacted them a few times and they just keep telling me sorry can't tell you when you'll hear back... makes no sense, especially given people with lower scores have gotten in in a few days turn around from what I see on LSN.

vthokies88
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby vthokies88 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 am

rodmanhust wrote:
vthokies88 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:Hi Fellow applicants
Admitted with interest in IP law;

IP law at WCL is ranked #7 in U.S.
Is it really that good? special programs?
or ranking is off?


au is not really an IP school..someone correct me if im wrong

you need gw for that


Wrong - AU has a pretty good IP program and fantastic professors. People on TLS need to realize that there is more than one school with good programs in any given subject. GW is prob #1 or 2, but AU (and I think Mason) have great programs too. I'm not taking IP classes, but the IP profs also teach Property. Look up Jorge Contreras. He is a leading IP scholar. There are a number of IP firms that do OCI at AU, including Sterne Kessler and Finnegan. If you do IP at AU, look at taking the IP seminar-type thing at Loyola (I think that's the school). It's supposed to be fantastic. You DO NOT have to go to GW though - people say the same thing about government contracts...look at any big law firm that does gov't contracts, and you will see that's not true.


Thanks for the helpful info.
actually I was accepted by Loyola as well; but would favor DC over Chicago.


If you applied to/got accepted at GW and if you want big law, I would recommend taking GW over AU (that's primarily because you will have more big law options). But between AU and Loyola, I would take AU and do the summer Loyola program.

Another option you might want to look at - some IP firms (like Sterne Kessler and Finnegan) hire student associates. You might have to go part-time (I'm not sure), but if you can get one of those and do well in law school, you'll be set.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby PattyCake » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:02 pm

llamall wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:anything new?

it appears if the date changes, an answer can come from 1 day to a month away


Called over 2 weeks ago to confirm that my Feb score was received, was told to email admissions but not to worry because she was sure that they must have it. Hadn't had any movement since 12/17 so I decided to call again just to confirm, because I still haven't had a date change since December. Been trying to call for 2 business days now, and so far no one is answering at any of the appropriate contact lines or at the main admissions desk. ...Zombie apocalypse?


I'm at the same date change... I've contacted them a few times and they just keep telling me sorry can't tell you when you'll hear back... makes no sense, especially given people with lower scores have gotten in in a few days turn around from what I see on LSN.


I was just told that I won't be reviewed for pips until I have a decision, and that my decision will be made by 4/15 if I applied before 12/31. This is completely absurd. I'm supposed to make a decision overnight when I applied in November, but applicants with lower numbers who applied in March are getting decisions in the space of a week? Thoroughly confused.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:06 pm

PattyCake wrote:
llamall wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:anything new?

it appears if the date changes, an answer can come from 1 day to a month away


Called over 2 weeks ago to confirm that my Feb score was received, was told to email admissions but not to worry because she was sure that they must have it. Hadn't had any movement since 12/17 so I decided to call again just to confirm, because I still haven't had a date change since December. Been trying to call for 2 business days now, and so far no one is answering at any of the appropriate contact lines or at the main admissions desk. ...Zombie apocalypse?


I'm at the same date change... I've contacted them a few times and they just keep telling me sorry can't tell you when you'll hear back... makes no sense, especially given people with lower scores have gotten in in a few days turn around from what I see on LSN.


I was just told that I won't be reviewed for pips until I have a decision, and that my decision will be made by 4/15 if I applied before 12/31. This is completely absurd. I'm supposed to make a decision overnight when I applied in November, but applicants with lower numbers who applied in March are getting decisions in the space of a week? Thoroughly confused.


Looks like its good I applied in march. 900 seat deposit....

If admissions is this bad...i wonder how career services will be

mkdoucet
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby mkdoucet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Anyone going to the admitted students event on Friday? First time visiting the school, I'm excited and nervous and all of those things.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby PattyCake » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:21 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
llamall wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
Called over 2 weeks ago to confirm that my Feb score was received, was told to email admissions but not to worry because she was sure that they must have it. Hadn't had any movement since 12/17 so I decided to call again just to confirm, because I still haven't had a date change since December. Been trying to call for 2 business days now, and so far no one is answering at any of the appropriate contact lines or at the main admissions desk. ...Zombie apocalypse?


I'm at the same date change... I've contacted them a few times and they just keep telling me sorry can't tell you when you'll hear back... makes no sense, especially given people with lower scores have gotten in in a few days turn around from what I see on LSN.


I was just told that I won't be reviewed for pips until I have a decision, and that my decision will be made by 4/15 if I applied before 12/31. This is completely absurd. I'm supposed to make a decision overnight when I applied in November, but applicants with lower numbers who applied in March are getting decisions in the space of a week? Thoroughly confused.


Looks like its good I applied in march. 900 seat deposit....

If admissions is this bad...i wonder how career services will be


Just had my first date change since 12/17. Hopefully a decision will come sooner rather than later...

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:05 pm

[/quote]

Just had my first date change since 12/17. Hopefully a decision will come sooner rather than later...[/quote]

Been a week since my date change...maybe tomorrow is the day

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby kellohitty » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm still sitting at 11/25. Despite two updates to my application that I sent in. I'm getting fed up at this point. I have to choose a school in less than 2 weeks and I applied with plenty of time before I had to make a decision.

llamall
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby llamall » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 pm

kellohitty wrote:I'm still sitting at 11/25. Despite two updates to my application that I sent in. I'm getting fed up at this point. I have to choose a school in less than 2 weeks and I applied with plenty of time before I had to make a decision.


Amen to that. Pretty over how American is dealing with applications...

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 pm

For those waiting, are you actually going to go?

I mean you know they arent going to give you a big scholarship unless your waiting on PIPS, so why not just withdraw now? Especially if you have other options.

llamall
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby llamall » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:45 pm

BankruptMe wrote:For those waiting, are you actually going to go?

I mean you know they arent going to give you a big scholarship unless your waiting on PIPS, so why not just withdraw now? Especially if you have other options.


I'm waiting to hear back on PIPS. If I don't get it though, I'll probably withdraw. I just have a problem with how every time I contact them they tell me I'll hear very soon and it's been 2 months since they told me very soon!

Nuj
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nuj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Got accepted, no clue how to see how much money I got. MyAU is confusing as hell.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby PattyCake » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm

llamall wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:For those waiting, are you actually going to go?

I mean you know they arent going to give you a big scholarship unless your waiting on PIPS, so why not just withdraw now? Especially if you have other options.


I'm waiting to hear back on PIPS. If I don't get it though, I'll probably withdraw. I just have a problem with how every time I contact them they tell me I'll hear very soon and it's been 2 months since they told me very soon!


Same here. The answer I got was so frustrating. They won't even review your PIPS application until you have a decision, but they make zero effort to review PIPS applicant's files in a timely manner. What is the point of having a deadline for the PIPS application if they aren't using the time following it to review applicants? The woman on the phone told me "Unfortunately, that's the nature of the admissions cycle for law schools." I'm glad I bit my tongue because basically ANY process would be more efficient than their admissions process, and it most certainly is not the "nature of the admissions cycle" for most law schools. She also told me not to worry, because she was sure I would have "a few days" to decide before the deposit was due.

But whatever, it's not like choosing which law school you will attend is an important decision to be made after careful consideration.

User avatar
Wbrem
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Wbrem » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm

PattyCake wrote:
llamall wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:For those waiting, are you actually going to go?

I mean you know they arent going to give you a big scholarship unless your waiting on PIPS, so why not just withdraw now? Especially if you have other options.


I'm waiting to hear back on PIPS. If I don't get it though, I'll probably withdraw. I just have a problem with how every time I contact them they tell me I'll hear very soon and it's been 2 months since they told me very soon!


Same here. The answer I got was so frustrating. They won't even review your PIPS application until you have a decision, but they make zero effort to review PIPS applicant's files in a timely manner. What is the point of having a deadline for the PIPS application if they aren't using the time following it to review applicants? The woman on the phone told me "Unfortunately, that's the nature of the admissions cycle for law schools." I'm glad I bit my tongue because basically ANY process would be more efficient than their admissions process, and it most certainly is not the "nature of the admissions cycle" for most law schools. She also told me not to worry, because she was sure I would have "a few days" to decide before the deposit was due.

But whatever, it's not like choosing which law school you will attend is an important decision to be made after careful consideration.


They actually extended the PIPS deadline. They informed me of this about a month ago, so they accepted applications for it pretty late.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby PattyCake » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Wbrem wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
llamall wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:For those waiting, are you actually going to go?

I mean you know they arent going to give you a big scholarship unless your waiting on PIPS, so why not just withdraw now? Especially if you have other options.


I'm waiting to hear back on PIPS. If I don't get it though, I'll probably withdraw. I just have a problem with how every time I contact them they tell me I'll hear very soon and it's been 2 months since they told me very soon!


Same here. The answer I got was so frustrating. They won't even review your PIPS application until you have a decision, but they make zero effort to review PIPS applicant's files in a timely manner. What is the point of having a deadline for the PIPS application if they aren't using the time following it to review applicants? The woman on the phone told me "Unfortunately, that's the nature of the admissions cycle for law schools." I'm glad I bit my tongue because basically ANY process would be more efficient than their admissions process, and it most certainly is not the "nature of the admissions cycle" for most law schools. She also told me not to worry, because she was sure I would have "a few days" to decide before the deposit was due.

But whatever, it's not like choosing which law school you will attend is an important decision to be made after careful consideration.


They actually extended the PIPS deadline. They informed me of this about a month ago, so they accepted applications for it pretty late.


Yes, but they're supposedly reviewed on a rolling basis. There are still open spots in the PIPS program, according to the woman I spoke with.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Something tells me that the process is clogged up.

They made offers, but they are waiting to see what others will do with them.

amja107
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:08 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby amja107 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:58 am

Nuj wrote:Got accepted, no clue how to see how much money I got. MyAU is confusing as hell.


+1.

Has anyone who received acceptance late Feb. received FAFSA/scholly info.

jayessbee
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby jayessbee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:09 am

amja107 wrote:
Nuj wrote:Got accepted, no clue how to see how much money I got. MyAU is confusing as hell.


+1.

Has anyone who received acceptance late Feb. received FAFSA/scholly info.

I applied for the need based grants and got a no. Same for PIPS. Nothing else yet. The only thing keeping me from withdrawing is curiosity at what, if anything, they would offer.

amja107
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:08 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby amja107 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:51 am

jayessbee wrote:
amja107 wrote:
Nuj wrote:Got accepted, no clue how to see how much money I got. MyAU is confusing as hell.


+1.

Has anyone who received acceptance late Feb. received FAFSA/scholly info.

I applied for the need based grants and got a no. Same for PIPS. Nothing else yet. The only thing keeping me from withdrawing is curiosity at what, if anything, they would offer.


Anything apart from PIPs would be virtually nothing coming from AU. How did you find out that you got rejected for need-based aid?? I haven't heard anything about this, not even a notification that they received the form as I did from other schools.

User avatar
Wbrem
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Wbrem » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:57 am

I'm still waiting for a need based response also. I received it from Brooklyn already, so I emailed American regarding it. They told me I would receive my full award letter before the deposit deadline. Neat. Thanks?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Bob loblaw law blog, Christinabruin, Google Adsense [Bot], Lmorina126 and 20 guests