American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mandakay16

New

Re: American University- WCL c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by Mandakay16 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Sheryl wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:
Sheryl wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:I got in - she said she'd email scholly info this morning. So, idn we'll see. I might have to pay the deposit and spend the next two months going over pros and cons...

Thanks guys - I need voices of reason. haha
Congrats! Although I do agree with other guys' analysis between SMU and AU.

Do you mind sharing your LSAT and GPA numbers?
I withdrew this morning. I have a significant scholly at SMU and American kind of made my mind up for me given the amount of debt I'd accumulate.

haha I don't have $900 to throw away either - It was going to kill me to do that. Glad I don't have to.

Everyone is going to hate me when I post my numbers because, honestly, they aren't great - My highest LSAT at the time I applied to SMU was a 150 and miraculously I was accepted less than a week later. My GPA is about a 3.85. The only thing I'm thinking that could have saved me is my softs/unusual history. They actually mentioned that in my acceptance letter (They liked my history, blah blah blah)
- I graduated highschool at 16 - am a licensed cosmetologist - licensed phlebotomist - Criminal justice/poli sci tutor at my University...

I do know I'm lucky I got into SMU, though. So, I might as well not complain and just stick to it ;)
SMU is definitely a good law school. My LSAT score is not high either, only 151, but I have an LL.M degree from WUSTL. Don't know whether AU will consider my foreign background and LL.M degree tho.

Congrats again and wish you all the best in top-law-schools.com!
Thank you! You as well :)

Sheryl

New

Post by Sheryl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm

My LSAT is only 151, altho I have an LL.M degree of Washington U and a foreign bachelor degree of law. I feel that they are not gonna consider me since I am below median... :(

simplelyfe

New

Post by simplelyfe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:02 pm

any waitlist movement?

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm

simplelyfe wrote:any waitlist movement?
Haven't heard anything

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Two years ago, emails to a few people went out April 30 asking if you wanted to stay on the list. HTH
April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached.

Important: Candidates offered a seat in the entering class must commit to American University Washington College of Law and submit a non-refundable $900 seat deposit by credit card or e-check via the AU web portal within 24 hours of receiving the offer.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sheryl

New

Post by Sheryl » Thu May 01, 2014 1:21 pm

BVest wrote:Two years ago, emails to a few people went out April 30 asking if you wanted to stay on the list. HTH
April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached.

Important: Candidates offered a seat in the entering class must commit to American University Washington College of Law and submit a non-refundable $900 seat deposit by credit card or e-check via the AU web portal within 24 hours of receiving the offer.
I wonder how they select files for consideration by the Committee on Admissions? Has the admissions counselor get the right to select files and send them to the Admissions Committee?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Sheryl wrote:
BVest wrote:Two years ago, emails to a few people went out April 30 asking if you wanted to stay on the list. HTH
April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

I wonder how they select files for consideration by the Committee on Admissions? Has the admissions counselor get the right to select files and send them to the Admissions Committee?
Based on the outcome of that email (for the other TLSers who got it), it was a thinly veiled YP acceptance. The committee had already picked which WLers they were going to accept before they sent the email. The email was just to scare off people not interested and boost their selectivity numbers.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

amw5471

New

Post by amw5471 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:49 pm

BVest wrote:
Sheryl wrote:
April 30, 2012

Dear BVest,

Based on the outcome of that email (for the other TLSers who got it), it was a thinly veiled YP acceptance. The committee had already picked which WLers they were going to accept before they sent the email. The email was just to scare off people not interested and boost their selectivity numbers.
That is kind of what I figured when I got the notification before Good Friday. Responded to the email and had a phone call within an hour of sending.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 pm

I think I am about to withdraw. Will decide by tomorrow. I am not going to wait until the end of july just to get plucked off the list

Oh, and I got the OCI form from last year.

Hint. hint. - While Big firms recruit at AU, they actually do not, they "resume collect." I am not going to pay 210,000 just for my resume to be in a special pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thewaxtadpole

New

Post by thewaxtadpole » Fri May 02, 2014 9:57 am

on the wait list with relatively low grades/scores and applied late.

strong northeastern private school UG with high profile entertainment internships and steady work experience

Sheryl

New

Post by Sheryl » Thu May 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Any wailisted students hear from the Admissions Office?

CrystalLee

New

Post by CrystalLee » Thu May 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Withdrew today, hope my spot goes to one of you. Good Luck!!

laurvb

New

Post by laurvb » Fri May 09, 2014 3:35 am

Last edited by laurvb on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CrystalLee

New

Post by CrystalLee » Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 am

Does anyone personally know anyone that actually graduated from here??
Yes, a few of our Law Clerks are American graduates, and they all say great things about the school.

laurvb

New

Post by laurvb » Fri May 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Last edited by laurvb on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

monalisa

New

Post by monalisa » Tue May 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Really excited to have just gotten off the waitlist! Debating American v. Wake Forest at this point. Want to practice hopefully international corporate litigation (so specific, I know) upon graduation. Also open to working for the government (like the SEC or Department of Commerce) or an international agency (like the World Bank etc.) Have a background in financial consulting. Would like to practice in NY or DC.

Wake is a much better school, with better employment numbers, but I really like the "flavor" of American. I also like the city life, though would need to pay more for COL in DC. Any opinions?

Law2017

New

Post by Law2017 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:57 pm

I need some input. I have deposited at American and really liked the school. I am not thrilled with COA especially considering the drop in rankings but wanted to live in DC. I recently got off the WL at Washington and Lee with decent money too. My issue with W&L is that its in a small tow and i was really looking forward to living in a big city and the opportunities that DC has. Other then that i loved W&L. I am interested in business/international law. What do you guys think?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

monalisa

New

Post by monalisa » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:43 pm

I'd choose American over W&L! I chose American in the end :) got a scholly that made a difference.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Law2017 wrote:I need some input. I have deposited at American and really liked the school. I am not thrilled with COA especially considering the drop in rankings but wanted to live in DC. I recently got off the WL at Washington and Lee with decent money too. My issue with W&L is that its in a small tow and i was really looking forward to living in a big city and the opportunities that DC has. Other then that i loved W&L. I am interested in business/international law. What do you guys think?
W&L has about a 10% higher employment rating and about a 10% higher Biglaw / fed clerk percentage. Plus you won't pay through the nose in COL to live in a closet in DC.

W&L by a mile. American is on life-support thanks to sites like LST. Don't bury yourself in debt for a <50% chance of becoming a lawyer. Go to W&L, minimize your debt, THEN go to DC and actually practice.

oblitigate

New

Post by oblitigate » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Nucky wrote:
Law2017 wrote:I need some input. I have deposited at American and really liked the school. I am not thrilled with COA especially considering the drop in rankings but wanted to live in DC. I recently got off the WL at Washington and Lee with decent money too. My issue with W&L is that its in a small tow and i was really looking forward to living in a big city and the opportunities that DC has. Other then that i loved W&L. I am interested in business/international law. What do you guys think?
W&L has about a 10% higher employment rating and about a 10% higher Biglaw / fed clerk percentage. Plus you won't pay through the nose in COL to live in a closet in DC.

W&L by a mile. American is on life-support thanks to sites like LST. Don't bury yourself in debt for a <50% chance of becoming a lawyer. Go to W&L, minimize your debt, THEN go to DC and actually practice.
Don't go to W&L if you want to practice in DC. Don't go to American either. Fwiw my buddy who graduated top 20% at American this yr said every single job posting outside of OCI was "top 5% need only apply" and as low as top 10%. DC is hard up on that gpa and Harvard law. He moved back to Texas and is doing contract work. Real talk

vthokies88

New

Post by vthokies88 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 pm

oblitigate wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Don't go to W&L if you want to practice in DC. Don't go to American either. Fwiw my buddy who graduated top 20% at American this yr said every single job posting outside of OCI was "top 5% need only apply" and as low as top 10%. DC is hard up on that gpa and Harvard law. He moved back to Texas and is doing contract work. Real talk
This last post regarding OCI is a total lie...just FYI...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”