Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HOS

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby HOS » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Well, for what's worth: I'm above 75th LSAT and an international applicant with a "superior" grading... no interview request :(

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Bajam wrote:OMG finally complete whoooo!!

Me too. We probably applied to schools around the same time. This is the second time it's happened.

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:00 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

Me too. We probably applied to schools around the same time. This is the second time it's happened.

Dates?

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 pm

outlawscr10 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

Dates?

11/25

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

We got this, comeee on Cornell, now it's time to accept us lol

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm turning in for the night. It might be the earliest I've ever went to bed in my entire life, but I've very rarely ever gotten this sick this quickly.

<3 you all, congrats on those with interview requests, hope to see you all at asw :D

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 am

oxie wrote:Thanks for the info Lavitz!

I was just looking through last year's thread for info about the interview and I found this:

TripTrip wrote:Not formal at all, very personal. The questions where not quite what I was expecting. After reading the mass interview thread geared to Chicago and Harvard, I was expecting some typical questions from, for example, a job interview. Things like "what has been your greatest accomplishment?" or "tell me about a time where you effectively handled a personal hurdle" or something similar. There was nothing like that. The questions were direct and to the point. The interviewer picked out two questionable things in my applciation she wanted more information on, and we talked about that for a while. (The "iffy app" section of the interview.) We talked for a bit about why Cornell was a good fit for me and I asked some questions about clinics and the OCI process. (The "YP" section of the interview.)

Total interview time was 27 minutes.

Good job digging that up for me. That's a pretty good summary of what to expect. TripTrip was one of the three I was thinking of, and he got in.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:35 am

charlie.black wrote:If granted a full scholly, would you recommend it over HYS? Over a T10 with $$$? Cornell culture? Employment expectations?

I imagine a lot of the answer is contingent on post-jd goals. Perhaps you could respond on the assumption of an east-coast, big law goal (DC, Boston, NYC)?

Thanks! (if you'd rather not, no worries; you've been plenty helpful already)

You're right that it's mostly contingent on post-jd goals. The rest is probably just personal preference for the school and its location. Therefore without knowing more, I wouldn't risk making any recommendations to someone in that situation.

Also not sure what "T-10 with $$$" means in your hypo. There's a big difference between Columbia and Michigan and a big difference between 90K and 130K.

I will also have to point out that unless they're changing things (which in my opinion they should), the full-ride is not actually a full ride. You still end up paying about 7K a year in tuition.

Still 150K vs. sticker at, say, HYS is a huge difference. When you factor in interest, the difference should end up being around 175K. (Someone good at math and loan payments can correct me.) This assumes no need-based aid at HYS though. HYS definitely opens more doors in different areas, and may make it easier to get Biglaw jobs if you're lower in the class. If for some reason you want to end up at a more prestigious firm, I think the entire T6 may give you a leg up over Cornell.

Other than that, if your goal is just that you want an east-coast biglaw job, then the question is really just how much do you want to pay for the insurance of knowing you can be lower in the class and still snag one of those jobs. In my 1L opinion: if you take the money, go to Cornell, end up top 10%, then the gamble has already paid off. If you somehow strike out at OCI while being top 10%, it won't be because you went to Cornell, it'll be because you were probably destined to strike out. There's at least one top 10% person who struck out because of interviewing skills. It does happen.

Boston and DC will be tougher to crack, but we have job fairs in both cities and I know people going to Boston. I'm sure there are people going to DC, but I don't know enough 2Ls and 3Ls to say how many. We were just discussing Boston recently in the taking questions thread, and I believe there have been some people who got Boston with less than stellar grades in the past.

In general, I think employment prospects are pretty good, but I haven't gone through OCI yet. ImNoScar would know better than I would if he still checks this thread. Maybe ask this in the taking questions thread.

I also have a personal anecdote I'll share in PM.

As for the culture, I would say that, at least for the 1L class, it's an interesting blend of UVA's "work hard/play hard" reputation and Michigan's "we're really friendly" reputation (which then turns into a UChicago "where fun goes to die" reputation in the last month of 1L Fall--but I think that's the case everywhere). Obviously I don't know how we compare directly, but I do think we have a very cohesive class, and I like that. Other people may like the ability to get lost in the crowd at other schools.

I will say that, personally, especially knowing what I know now, I believe I would take the money over sticker at H. Certainly over $$ at NYU.

charlie.black wrote:Interview. Above both 75th's. Applied mid-September. Lavitz, would you mind giving us a brief "why cornell"? (perhaps this is what the pm is that was being clamored for a few months ago..). What do you like? What do you not like?

Going to send a PM about most of this--mainly just the PM I already sent people about what I've been up to here.

But here, I'll just say that things I like include my classmates, the small class size, the location (yes, seriously). And other things in PM.

Thing I don't like include the gym, the hills, the spotty wireless in room 290, and the weather. I don't think anybody is going to say the weather is a plus, but for me, it's less of a bother than for people from warmer climates. It doesn't seem much worse than NYC to me. Maybe 10-15 degrees colder on average, with more clouds and precipitation.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:13 am

Lavitz can you pm me as well.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 am

applelover wrote:Lavitz can you pm me as well.

Done.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:05 am

Lavitz wrote:

Done.

Apple...wanna forward me that pm? (Thinking lavitz could use a break) :)

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Done.

Done

charlie.black

Postby charlie.black » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:
charlie.black wrote:If granted a full scholly, would you recommend it over HYS? Over a T10 with $$$? Cornell culture? Employment expectations?

I imagine a lot of the answer is contingent on post-jd goals. Perhaps you could respond on the assumption of an east-coast, big law goal (DC, Boston, NYC)?

Thanks! (if you'd rather not, no worries; you've been plenty helpful already)

You're right that it's mostly contingent on post-jd goals. The rest is probably just personal preference for the school and its location. Therefore without knowing more, I wouldn't risk making any recommendations to someone in that situation.

Also not sure what "T-10 with $$$" means in your hypo. There's a big difference between Columbia and Michigan and a big difference between 90K and 130K.

I will also have to point out that unless they're changing things (which in my opinion they should), the full-ride is not actually a full ride. You still end up paying about 7K a year in tuition.

Still 150K vs. sticker at, say, HYS is a huge difference. When you factor in interest, the difference should end up being around 175K. (Someone good at math and loan payments can correct me.) This assumes no need-based aid at HYS though. HYS definitely opens more doors in different areas, and may make it easier to get Biglaw jobs if you're lower in the class. If for some reason you want to end up at a more prestigious firm, I think the entire T6 may give you a leg up over Cornell.

Other than that, if your goal is just that you want an east-coast biglaw job, then the question is really just how much do you want to pay for the insurance of knowing you can be lower in the class and still snag one of those jobs. In my 1L opinion: if you take the money, go to Cornell, end up top 10%, then the gamble has already paid off. If you somehow strike out at OCI while being top 10%, it won't be because you went to Cornell, it'll be because you were probably destined to strike out. There's at least one top 10% person who struck out because of interviewing skills. It does happen.

Boston and DC will be tougher to crack, but we have job fairs in both cities and I know people going to Boston. I'm sure there are people going to DC, but I don't know enough 2Ls and 3Ls to say how many. We were just discussing Boston recently in the taking questions thread, and I believe there have been some people who got Boston with less than stellar grades in the past.

In general, I think employment prospects are pretty good, but I haven't gone through OCI yet. ImNoScar would know better than I would if he still checks this thread. Maybe ask this in the taking questions thread.

I also have a personal anecdote I'll share in PM.

As for the culture, I would say that, at least for the 1L class, it's an interesting blend of UVA's "work hard/play hard" reputation and Michigan's "we're really friendly" reputation (which then turns into a UChicago "where fun goes to die" reputation in the last month of 1L Fall--but I think that's the case everywhere). Obviously I don't know how we compare directly, but I do think we have a very cohesive class, and I like that. Other people may like the ability to get lost in the crowd at other schools.

I will say that, personally, especially knowing what I know now, I believe I would take the money over sticker at H. Certainly over $$ at NYU.

charlie.black wrote:Interview. Above both 75th's. Applied mid-September. Lavitz, would you mind giving us a brief "why cornell"? (perhaps this is what the pm is that was being clamored for a few months ago..). What do you like? What do you not like?

Going to send a PM about most of this--mainly just the PM I already sent people about what I've been up to here.

But here, I'll just say that things I like include my classmates, the small class size, the location (yes, seriously). And other things in PM.

Thing I don't like include the gym, the hills, the spotty wireless in room 290, and the weather. I don't think anybody is going to say the weather is a plus, but for me, it's less of a bother than for people from warmer climates. It doesn't seem much worse than NYC to me. Maybe 10-15 degrees colder on average, with more clouds and precipitation.

First class. Thank you sir! I really appreciate it. (and thanks for the pm!) :)

sandwich

Postby sandwich » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:46 pm

anyone mind forwarding me that PM? In exchange, I'll send good Cornell thought-vibes out your way... :D

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:49 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Done.

Forward to me too, please, Apple!

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:15 pm

sandwich wrote:anyone mind forwarding me that PM? In exchange, I'll send good Cornell thought-vibes out your way... :D

kershka wrote:Forward to me too, please, Apple!

Sent.

I'd actually prefer it if people didn't forward my PMs. I like having creative control if I decide something needs to be updated, and I know there was a typo in my last one, plus I wanted to add something.

Now lastsamurai missed out on the extra two sentences. :lol:

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Lavitz wrote:
sandwich wrote:anyone mind forwarding me that PM? In exchange, I'll send good Cornell thought-vibes out your way... :D

kershka wrote:Forward to me too, please, Apple!

Sent.

I'd actually prefer it if people didn't forward my PMs. I like having creative control if I decide something needs to be updated, and I know there was a typo in my last one, plus I wanted to add something.

Now lastsamurai missed out on the extra two sentences. :lol:

Curious if I could hop in on this PM train?! Please!

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:33 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Curious if I could hop in on this PM train?! Please!

Sure.

Reminder: people who already received my previous PM aren't missing much. The new part is just me answering charlie.black's question about whether Cornell with a full-ride is worth it over various other options. Of course, if you're interested in that, feel free to request.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Ohhhh me too please even though you've pmed me before awhile ago. :D

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Bajam wrote:Ohhhh me too please even though you've pmed me before awhile ago. :D

Done.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Bajam wrote:Ohhhh me too please even though you've pmed me before awhile ago. :D

Done.

Send hither?

sandwich

Postby sandwich » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks Lavitz! Sadly, my offer was to send out good cornell admission vibes to help people get in, but since you're past all that... you're going to have to settle for good cornell grade/OCI vibes, instead :D

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:52 pm

sandwich wrote:Thanks Lavitz! Sadly, my offer was to send out good cornell admission vibes to help people get in, but since you're past all that... you're going to have to settle for good cornell grade/OCI vibes, instead :D

I'll take it!

outlawscr10 wrote:Send hither?

Sent.

And if anyone else wants to read my rambling prose, please PM me instead of posting here, so we don't clutter the thread. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”