Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby hephaestus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:48 pm

deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

I know I've said this before, but cornell moves slowly throughout the process. I applied in October and didn't hear back until late February/early March. Fortunately, this seems to be changing as they seem to be bringing their practices more in line with the rest of the T14 (eg by having ED and sending fee waivers to a large amount of people). So hopeful you'll hear sooner than we did my cycle, but at the very least don't give up hope yet.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:02 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

I know I've said this before, but cornell moves slowly throughout the process. I applied in October and didn't hear back until late February/early March. Fortunately, this seems to be changing as they seem to be bringing their practices more in line with the rest of the T14 (eg by having ED and sending fee waivers to a large amount of people). So hopeful you'll hear sooner than we did my cycle, but at the very least don't give up hope yet.


Yea, they for sure seem the slowest and least responsive. I'm not giving up hope because my numbers are really competitive. They are just my clear number choice, and I'd like to end some of the anguish.

Robert_Bert
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Robert_Bert » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:16 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:I still haven't had a date change. Been complete since 10/31 :x


My date changed on 11/12 as well, although status still just says "your application is complete." I'm sure it's just moving through different hands.

HYSenberg
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby HYSenberg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:19 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

I know I've said this before, but cornell moves slowly throughout the process. I applied in October and didn't hear back until late February/early March. Fortunately, this seems to be changing as they seem to be bringing their practices more in line with the rest of the T14 (eg by having ED and sending fee waivers to a large amount of people). So hopeful you'll hear sooner than we did my cycle, but at the very least don't give up hope yet.


That's brutal. I was really hoping to have a Cornell acceptance by December so I could relax a little haha.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:23 pm

HYSenberg wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

I know I've said this before, but cornell moves slowly throughout the process. I applied in October and didn't hear back until late February/early March. Fortunately, this seems to be changing as they seem to be bringing their practices more in line with the rest of the T14 (eg by having ED and sending fee waivers to a large amount of people). So hopeful you'll hear sooner than we did my cycle, but at the very least don't give up hope yet.


That's brutal. I was really hoping to have a Cornell acceptance by December so I could relax a little haha.

Depends on the cycle and your numbers. Cornell was the quickest school to respond to me last cycle. They're not moving as fast as last cycle, but hopefully they won't move as slowly as they did two cycles ago.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Lavitz wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

I know I've said this before, but cornell moves slowly throughout the process. I applied in October and didn't hear back until late February/early March. Fortunately, this seems to be changing as they seem to be bringing their practices more in line with the rest of the T14 (eg by having ED and sending fee waivers to a large amount of people). So hopeful you'll hear sooner than we did my cycle, but at the very least don't give up hope yet.


That's brutal. I was really hoping to have a Cornell acceptance by December so I could relax a little haha.

Depends on the cycle and your numbers. Cornell was the quickest school to respond to me last cycle. They're not moving as fast as last cycle, but hopefully they won't move as slowly as they did two cycles ago.


Yea, but weren't you an early action application? They got rid of that this cycle.

HYSenberg
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby HYSenberg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:29 pm

My numbers are nothing special at 3.61/168, though I expect to be competitive. Ideally I want to work in Austin, but given how difficult it is to land a job there even from the top of the class at UT, Cornell is quickly becoming one of my top choices.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:43 pm

deputydog wrote:Yea, but weren't you an early action application? They got rid of that this cycle.

Yes, but I never bought into the whole EA moniker meaning anything. Yes, they would try to get you a decision before the end of the year, but it just basically meant you could end up with an extra "deferred" status. Whereas if you just missed the EA deadline and they decided you were on the fence, they would put you straight on reserve.

Plenty of other schools release decisions early without calling it EA or anything. Two cycles ago Cornell didn't release EA decisions until November. So last cycle we were all surprised when the first decisions came in October. I was expected GULC to be my first acceptance, and they don't call it EA--they just have a fast turnaround. Cornell could do that if they wanted. Get rid of EA but still have a fast turnaround. But it seems they'd rather sit on the apps for a while. And since ED decisions are still trickling out, I'm not sure how long they plan to sit on the RD apps.

tl;dr not calling early submissions "EA" doesn't prove that decisions will be significantly later than they were in the past.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Lavitz wrote:
deputydog wrote:Yea, but weren't you an early action application? They got rid of that this cycle.

Yes, but I never bought into the whole EA moniker meaning anything. Yes, they would try to get you a decision before the end of the year, but it just basically meant you could end up with an extra "deferred" status. Whereas if you just missed the EA deadline and they decided you were on the fence, they would put you straight on reserve.

Plenty of other schools release decisions early without calling it EA or anything. Two cycles ago Cornell didn't release EA decisions until November. So last cycle we were all surprised when the first decisions came in October. I was expected GULC to be my first acceptance, and they don't call it EA--they just have a fast turnaround. Cornell could do that if they wanted. Get rid of EA but still have a fast turnaround. But it seems they'd rather sit on the apps for a while. And since ED decisions are still trickling out, I'm not sure how long they plan to sit on the RD apps.

tl;dr not calling early submissions "EA" doesn't prove that decisions will be significantly later than they were in the past.


solid point. i should have known better than to doubt you Lavitz.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Clearly » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:17 pm

My complete application date changed, what means?

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby hephaestus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:18 pm

HYSenberg wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

I know I've said this before, but cornell moves slowly throughout the process. I applied in October and didn't hear back until late February/early March. Fortunately, this seems to be changing as they seem to be bringing their practices more in line with the rest of the T14 (eg by having ED and sending fee waivers to a large amount of people). So hopeful you'll hear sooner than we did my cycle, but at the very least don't give up hope yet.


That's brutal. I was really hoping to have a Cornell acceptance by December so I could relax a little haha.

I really do think they are trying to bring their practices in line with other T14s. Admissions is well aware that lack of ED, slow scholarship notices, and lack of ED made them the T14 safety.

User avatar
altoid99
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby altoid99 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.

I know I've said this before, but cornell moves slowly throughout the process. I applied in October and didn't hear back until late February/early March. Fortunately, this seems to be changing as they seem to be bringing their practices more in line with the rest of the T14 (eg by having ED and sending fee waivers to a large amount of people). So hopeful you'll hear sooner than we did my cycle, but at the very least don't give up hope yet.


That's brutal. I was really hoping to have a Cornell acceptance by December so I could relax a little haha.

I really do think they are trying to bring their practices in line with other T14s. Admissions is well aware that lack of ED, slow scholarship notices, and lack of ED made them the T14 safety.


You forgot to mention lack of ED :P

With the ED now in place, do you think they're now gunning for the 168 median or just trying to maintain 167?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm

altoid99 wrote:With the ED now in place, do you think they're now gunning for the 168 median or just trying to maintain 167?

I predict they play it safe and try to maintain the 167. They barely held it last cycle, as evidenced by the 167 75th, suggesting a problem attracting anyone with over a 167. And in a down cycle, I think they'll just try and maintain.

Out of the 4 ED admits I remember, only one was a splitter. 1 was a reverse-splitter and the other two were just at both current medians.

Edit: After checking LSN, there's another splitter ED admit I didn't know about, but I still think they just shoot for 167. But I suppose it's possible they shoot for 168.

HOS
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby HOS » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Submitted by app a couple of days back. Waiting to go complete.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby phillywc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Went complete today. Cornell was one of my first submitted and last to go complete.

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby okok » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 am

Clearly wrote:My complete application date changed, what means?


in full scholly

BFlanagan
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BFlanagan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:57 pm

deputydog wrote:I submitted in August, and got an email in September, but I haven't heard anything since. Cornell is tormenting me.


Sending app today. I'm not expecting anything for a while, then. It does seem Cornell is always super slow. One of three schools I'm applying, so this could be a while.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:58 pm

checking in

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby hephaestus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Lavitz wrote:
altoid99 wrote:With the ED now in place, do you think they're now gunning for the 168 median or just trying to maintain 167?

I predict they play it safe and try to maintain the 167. They barely held it last cycle, as evidenced by the 167 75th, suggesting a problem attracting anyone with over a 167. And in a down cycle, I think they'll just try and maintain.

Out of the 4 ED admits I remember, only one was a splitter. 1 was a reverse-splitter and the other two were just at both current medians.

Edit: After checking LSN, there's another splitter ED admit I didn't know about, but I still think they just shoot for 167. But I suppose it's possible they shoot for 168.

Yeah, as much as Cornell would like to use ED as a tool to get the median back to a 168, I think the rational thing to do is to lock in the 167 median and then try to hustle up the 75th.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby 052220151 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I think the rational thing to do is to lock in the 167 median and then try to hustle up the 75th.


I hope you're right. I hope their plan to hustle up their 75th is to throw insane money at everyone above a 167.

HYSenberg
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby HYSenberg » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 pm

deputydog wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:I think the rational thing to do is to lock in the 167 median and then try to hustle up the 75th.


I hope you're right. I hope their plan to hustle up their 75th is to throw insane money at everyone above a 167.


Lol indeed.

JRO1989
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby JRO1989 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:00 pm

okok wrote:
Clearly wrote:My complete application date changed, what means?


in full scholly


Hahahahaha

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Lavitz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Added lawschool22's google doc to the OP.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Clearly » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Will Cornell bite for super splitter just over 3 gpa?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ad34964n, Google Adsense [Bot], grades??, MSNbot Media, Nobiggie and 17 guests