Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paglababa

Re: Cornell c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby paglababa » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Beercules wrote:
MnM22 wrote:Can someone create an anonymous 1 hour email and send this and the last page of this thread to Cornell so they can see how they're pissing everyone off? I too had them at the top of my list, but they've been dropping ever since. If they were T6, it'd be a different story, but this is ridiculous...

As fucked up as it is, I think that's the point...

Yea makes sense. Everyone who got into t6 probably doesn't want Cornell as their first choice (myself included) so makes sense that Cornell hasn't just out and accepted everyone with competitive numbers.

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm

so i called back, all apologetic for my existence and stuff. have a date in february. :D

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Marshmallow wrote:so i called back, all apologetic for my existence and stuff. have a date in february. :D

TEACH ME YOUR MAGIC.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:40 pm

Damn, got mine in late March. I wanted to use it as practice for the Chi interview, but I have that next week.

Trig

Postby Trig » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:42 pm

How are people getting through to them? I keep getting some automated response and no option to transfer to anyone.

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Trig wrote:How are people getting through to them? I keep getting some automated response and no option to transfer to anyone.

Um, are you calling the number shown in the e-mail? It might be different than the one on their website. If you're calling the right number and no one picks up, there should be the option to leave a message after the automated response. That's what happened to me the first time I called; I just left my name and number and she called me back within an hour.

Trig

Postby Trig » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:
Trig wrote:How are people getting through to them? I keep getting some automated response and no option to transfer to anyone.

Um, are you calling the number shown in the e-mail? It might be different than the one on their website. If you're calling the right number and no one picks up, there should be the option to leave a message after the automated response. That's what happened to me the first time I called; I just left my name and number and she called me back within an hour.

I did that and nothing.

lakers180

Postby lakers180 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Marshmallow wrote:so i called back, all apologetic for my existence and stuff. have a date in february. :D

lol awesome wanna make a call for me?

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Did one of the 2/18s get an interview request earlier? I didn't (yet).

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:04 pm

those who are getting interview request, are you all in YP territory e.g LSAT at least 168?

admiringatticus

Postby admiringatticus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Cornell is so weird. I booked my interview in the last week of January and they told me mid-March was the earliest even when others were being booked earlier than that. Now, at the end of February, they have a spot earlier?

Also, I concur with everything that's been said about the attitude on the phone ... it was like they were surprised/irritated I was calling about an interview and had to go search for the schedule. It's the same attitude I got from a Cornell rep at an LSAC forum - when I asked her if she could tell me more about a clinic I was interested in, she said "not really."

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:29 pm

admiringatticus wrote:

Cornell is so weird. I booked my interview in the last week of January and they told me mid-March was the earliest even when others were being booked earlier than that. Now, at the end of February, they have a spot earlier?

Also, I concur with everything that's been said about the attitude on the phone ... it was like they were surprised/irritated I was calling about an interview and had to go search for the schedule. It's the same attitude I got from a Cornell rep at an LSAC forum - when I asked her if she could tell me more about a clinic I was interested in, she said "not really."

Wondering if Lavitz can speak about any of this. My experience with Cornell has been great so far, so I hope I never have such an encounter!

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:

Wondering if Lavitz can speak about any of this. My experience with Cornell has been great so far, so I hope I never have such an encounter!

These things vary. Everyone's going to have a different experience with any given admissions office. I've searched every Cornell thread since the beginning of time TLS, and there's always a variety of "the lady on the phone was so nice" vs. "the lady on the phone was dismissive;" "the lady at the LSAC forum talked me into applying" vs. "the lady at the LSAC forum couldn't answer my questions;" "I just got off reserve a few days ago, and already got my finaid award, and it's 32.K" vs. "I just got off reserve a week ago, they haven't given me finaid info yet, and they expect me to send a deposit by today;" etc. I don't know why people's experiences vary so much, even within the same cycle.

Personally, Cornell treated me relatively well compared with other schools. I've heard of both negative and positive experiences with both Cornell's office and other school's offices.

But I think you'll find when you start 1L that your interactions with the admissions office aren't a perfect barometer for the culture of the school, and you'll feel silly for writing off certain schools solely because their admissions staff was rude to you once, or didn't admit you right away.

To the latter point, for the people clearly being YPed, I get that some of you feel slighted because you have to jump through hoops to get in. But they can't possibly admit every single person above both medians and throw money at them without messing up their yield, class size, and/or going way over their budget. Yeah, I could've withdrawn after Harvard, Columbia and Chicago waitlisted me and I felt slighted about it, but that would've been silly because they may have still been my best options even off the WL. If there's still a reasonable chance Cornell could be your best option, you should probably just stick it out and do the interview.

With that said, I make no excuses for any lack of technological skill or alleged unprofessionalism. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

As for the other specific questions I noticed earlier:

No, Cornell doesn't usually include $$$ with the acceptance. Send in the finaid forms after you get accepted and hopefully you'll hear about money in a week or two. If that's close to deadlines at other schools, then let them know.

No, you don't have to send in parents' tax returns for merit aid, but you do if you want to be eligible for need-based aid. If you're not particularly needy, I don't think the need-based part makes that much of an impact. It's the same process as NYU.
Last edited by Lavitz on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admiringatticus

Postby admiringatticus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Lavitz wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:

But I think you'll find when you start 1L that your interactions with the admissions office aren't a perfect barometer for the culture of the school, and you'll feel silly for writing off certain schools solely because their admissions staff was rude to you once, or didn't admit you right away.

For sure. Cornell was high on my list at the beginning and it's still high on my list. Any bad encounters with admissions doesn't negate any of the things that drew me to Cornell in the first place. Just makes them a little harder to love!

mulhollanddrive

Postby mulhollanddrive » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:13 am

I am just hovering around cornell's gpa median, but I am very much above their lsat median.

Is this a YP thing maybe? Are all or most of you other people who got interview requests above one or more of their medians? Or are some of you borderline applicants for cornell?

I would be happy if this were the YP thing, since I am very enthusiastic about the prospect of attending cornell. But if its a serious interview for borderline candidates, then I would have to conclude that there must have been a flaw on my application....ugh

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:11 am

mulhollanddrive wrote:I am just hovering around cornell's gpa median, but I am very much above their lsat median.

Is this a YP thing maybe? Are all or most of you other people who got interview requests above one or more of their medians? Or are some of you borderline applicants for cornell?

I would be happy if this were the YP thing, since I am very enthusiastic about the prospect of attending cornell. But if its a serious interview for borderline candidates, then I would have to conclude that there must have been a flaw on my application....ugh

174/3.6. Average-above average softs. Pretty sure it's a YP thing.

bpc2110

Postby bpc2110 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Submitted beginning of January, complete 2/4. First status update today. Any chance for decision?

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 pm

How we looking 2/18s? All's quiet on the eastern front?

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:43 pm

JustHawkin wrote:How we looking 2/18s? All's quiet on the eastern front?

And 2/17s :lol:

bpc2110

Postby bpc2110 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:49 pm

how many status changes are normal before decision?

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Supremely uneventful day over in Ithaca.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:20 pm

JustHawkin wrote:How we looking 2/18s? All's quiet on the eastern front?

2/18, quiet in this foxhole.

SupCutie

Postby SupCutie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 pm

2/6 quiet... Disheartening cause plenty of people with my numbers have heard back in some capacity.

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:58 am

Lavitz wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:

Bad time, because I'm currently annoyed with the admissions office concerning their process for choosing 1L volunteers for ASW. :lol:

What I will say is that these things vary. Everyone's going to have a different experience with any given admissions office. I've searched every Cornell thread since the beginning of time TLS, and there's always a variety of "the lady on the phone was so nice" vs. "the lady on the phone was dismissive;" "the lady at the LSAC forum talked me into applying" vs. "the lady at the LSAC forum couldn't answer my questions;" "I just got off reserve a few days ago, and already got my finaid award, and it's 32.K" vs. "I just got off reserve a week ago, they haven't given me finaid info yet, and they expect me to send a deposit by today;" etc. I don't know why people's experiences vary so much, even within the same cycle.

Personally, Cornell treated me relatively well compared with other schools. I've heard of both negative and positive experiences with both Cornell's office and other school's offices.

To the latter point, for the people clearly being YPed, I get that some of you feel slighted because you have to jump through hoops to get in. But they can't possibly admit every single person above both medians and throw money at them without messing up their yield, class size, and/or going way over their budget. Yeah, I could've withdrawn after Harvard, Columbia and Chicago waitlisted me and I felt slighted about it, but that would've been silly because they may have still been my best options even off the WL. If there's still a reasonable chance Cornell could be your best option, you should probably just stick it out and do the interview.

With that said, I make no excuses for any lack of technological skill or alleged unprofessionalism. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I would run things differently, but then again, I can't even get a damn tour guide position.

As for the other specific questions I noticed earlier:

No, Cornell doesn't usually include $$$ with the acceptance. Send in the finaid forms after you get accepted and hopefully you'll hear about money in a week or two. If that's close to deadlines at other schools, then let them know.

No, you don't have to send in parents' tax returns for merit aid, but you do if you want to be eligible for need-based aid. If you're not particularly needy, I don't think the need-based part makes that much of an impact. It's the same process as NYU.

Very mature, helpful, honest and responsible advice. *applause*

nobody17

Postby nobody17 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:24 am

For people who've had their Skype interview, what did you wear during the interview? I've worn suit + tie for other interviews, but I've heard some of the interviews for Cornell were conducted by current law school students, which makes me think that it might be more casual.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”