Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby checkers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:01 pm

vivala wrote:
oyvey35 wrote:Reserved just now.

Held in Feb.

Did everyone get a handwritten note from Dean Iwerebon on their reserve letter?


Yup


Woah-ho-ho, hold on now. I got a "hand-written" signature which looks printed. Did you guys get a personalized/substantive reply in handwriting?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:03 pm

admiringatticus wrote:
vivala wrote:
oyvey35 wrote:Reserved just now.

Held in Feb.

Did everyone get a handwritten note from Dean Iwerebon on their reserve letter?


Yup


No. :(


I didn't either, must because because I'm pleb to CLS. :lol:

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Woah-ho-ho, hold on now. I got a "hand-written" signature which looks printed. Did you guys get a personalized/substantive reply in handwriting?

User avatar
logicspeaks
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby logicspeaks » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Reserved. Did get a handwritten note but I wouldn't call it personalized.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:08 pm

content?

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
charlie.black wrote:final update: put on reserve a few days back in the first wave this week (withdrew shortly after). applied in sep. 3.95/175. Held in March. Wrote a long LOCI....haha apparently I'm not convincing. Unfortunate really. Columbia was my little dream heading into the cycle. I dunno what happened. Got $$ at NYU & Chi. Now heading to HLS.

Good to luck to all who are holding on! Been a long ride.


Twin, except for the stats. :lol:


hey, cambridge is not a bad place to land :D . And CLS has put on a shoddy performance... I even visited the admissions office, and all I got were generic, bland answers and very little warmth. Oh. You want me to pay 58k while i lick your shoes? Sign me up. Also, the library is junk. End of rant.

User avatar
vivala
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby vivala » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:12 pm

It said to keep them updated on my plans.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:14 pm

checkers wrote:
charlie.black wrote:final update: put on reserve a few days back in the first wave this week (withdrew shortly after). applied in sep. 3.95/175. Held in March. Wrote a long LOCI....haha apparently I'm not convincing. Unfortunate really. Columbia was my little dream heading into the cycle. I dunno what happened. Got $$ at NYU & Chi. Now heading to HLS.

Good to luck to all who are holding on! Been a long ride.


3.95/175
Applied in Sept
Heartfelt LOCI

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US CLS??? IS THIS NOT SATISFACTORY?!?!


(pictures checkers in gladiator garb throwing a sword at dean Iwerebon's office window. russell crowe stands nearby. nods in approval)

RC0925
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:53 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby RC0925 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Did anyone follow the link in that reserve email to respond? The "handwritten" email said I was in their reserve but then the link said they couldnt find my info

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby checkers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:22 pm

vivala wrote:It said to keep them updated on my plans.


You should feel good since you're obviously a favorite child ;) I am so jelly.

User avatar
logicspeaks
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby logicspeaks » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:34 pm

vivala wrote:It said to keep them updated on my plans.

Same.

wheelhouse12
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wheelhouse12 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
wheelhouse12 wrote:Reserve today. Held 3/24. 175/3.81.


Sorry to hear, planning on riding it out?


I think I will ride it out.

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SFrost » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:32 pm

WHAT! Some people got a hand written note?!?!

So it looks like we've got:

Reserve #1: people who got a love note; preferred status

Reserve #2: people part of a psych experiment to see how long it takes the average lemming to lose hope

I'm in #2 :cry:

mlstflst
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mlstflst » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:04 pm

GUYS!!!your sage input would be greatly appreciated here!!

I got a $100,000 Scholarship from Berkeley vs. still waiting for grant aid from Columbia. Do I have a bargaining chip here?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!PLEASE CHIP IN!!IM CONFLICTED!!!!

User avatar
OMAR_COMIN_YO
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:15 pm

mlstflst wrote:GUYS!!!your sage input would be greatly appreciated here!!

I got a $100,000 Scholarship from Berkeley vs. still waiting for grant aid from Columbia. Do I have a bargaining chip here?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!PLEASE CHIP IN!!IM CONFLICTED!!!!


My only advice is to fix your keyboard.


But seriously, what advice do you actually need? If you have that money, throw it in the ring for negotiation.

wheelhouse12
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wheelhouse12 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:25 pm

What is this "handwritten" note thing? Is this true? All I got was a "handwritten" signature. Did others receive a letter that was entirely in handwriting?

Cthon
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Cthon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:34 am

wheelhouse12 wrote:What is this "handwritten" note thing? Is this true? All I got was a "handwritten" signature. Did others receive a letter that was entirely in handwriting?


The entire letter wasn't handwritten, but there was a little portion near the signature of the Dean that said "We will continue to take a close look at your candidacy. Please keep us updated on your plans as the summer progresses"

Was that the same as other people's handwritten notes? Seems generic, but it was handwritten.

Also, what exactly is Columbia's reserve list - like what does it signify and how have they used it in the past?(is it their waitlist?)

User avatar
theotherone823
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby theotherone823 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 am

Cthon wrote:Also, what exactly is Columbia's reserve list - like what does it signify and how have they used it in the past?(is it their waitlist?)

Yes reserve is the same as a waitlist.

Based on the data provided in this thread, of the T14 Columbia historically accepts the fewest people from their reserved list (as a % of people placed on the reserved list). Something like 3% of reserved applicants ultimately get admitted.

Cthon
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Cthon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:52 am

theotherone823 wrote:
Cthon wrote:Also, what exactly is Columbia's reserve list - like what does it signify and how have they used it in the past?(is it their waitlist?)

Yes reserve is the same as a waitlist.

Based on the data provided in this thread, of the T14 Columbia historically accepts the fewest people from their reserved list (as a % of people placed on the reserved list). Something like 3% of reserved applicants ultimately get admitted.

Okay....thanks

SMU it is lol

Cthon
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Cthon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:56 am

Is there any reason for those of us who got a handwritten, generic, most likely still printed to feel like we have higher priority? Honest question.

I feel like there's the possibility that maybe for others the Dean was too busy, but by random chance he was free enough to write a note after my decision was made.(Or maybe it was sent to URMs?)

Can we get a count of all the people who got the note vs didn't?

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:57 am

.
Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Tue May 20, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wiggly
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Wiggly » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 am

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holly45
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby holly45 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:26 pm

JSWright101 wrote:
theotherone823 wrote:
Cthon wrote:Also, what exactly is Columbia's reserve list - like what does it signify and how have they used it in the past?(is it their waitlist?)

Yes reserve is the same as a waitlist.

Based on the data provided in this thread, of the T14 Columbia historically accepts the fewest people from their reserved list (as a % of people placed on the reserved list). Something like 3% of reserved applicants ultimately get admitted.


This is very true historically. However, it may not hold true this year. They've done some very unusual things with admissions this year and a lot may change.


What unusual things?

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:20 pm

.
Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby milkandcheerios » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 pm

mlstflst wrote:GUYS!!!your sage input would be greatly appreciated here!!

I got a $100,000 Scholarship from Berkeley vs. still waiting for grant aid from Columbia. Do I have a bargaining chip here?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!PLEASE CHIP IN!!IM CONFLICTED!!!!


wrong forum/thread




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dreamer_13, Google Adsense [Bot], potatoes, stewhan and 18 guests