Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Shortterm12

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Shortterm12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:28 pm

checkers wrote:I'm really sorry to hear about the reserve wave. The fact that you're posting at all though shows you're kind enough to alert the rest of us, so I hope it's not in poor form to request you specify whether or not you were previously held. It helps everybody else read the tea leaves more clearly.

I was put on reserve today. I was not previously held and I have not heard anything since going complete in November

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Shortterm12 wrote:
checkers wrote:I'm really sorry to hear about the reserve wave. The fact that you're posting at all though shows you're kind enough to alert the rest of us, so I hope it's not in poor form to request you specify whether or not you were previously held. It helps everybody else read the tea leaves more clearly.

I was put on reserve today. I was not previously held and I have not heard anything since going complete in November

I'm sorry to hear that, but I appreciate the full description. Waiting since November is a helluva long time to be in the dark.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 pm

paperrev wrote:

^This.

If none of the people from today's Reserve wave have been put on Hold prior, I wonder if this means that Columbia will address the people that haven't been reached out to first, THEN tackle the Hold pile?? Just a speculation, but it kinda makes sense, I guess. Just agonizing news for Hold people who will have to wait even longer if this is true :/

I sincerely hope this is the case. I have not heard a word from them since going complete in October. No held. No reserve. No ding. I feel completely forgotten about.

I am really sorry to hear about the reserve wave guys.... I was on it all last cycle and it was miserable and stressful. Keep your chins up and do not let it ruin spring and summer.

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 pm

checkers wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=225363

This is only LSN data, but it should be reliable enough for a general rule. Columbia waitlists many, many applicants (41.7% of all applicants averaged over the past 3 cycles), and of those, 3.2% were admitted. From the LSN data, that's 15 waitlist->admit over the past 3 years. Now the base number (15) is obviously a subset of the true number, but % is probably closer to truth, assuming LSN possesses a reliable sampling of applicants.

TLDR: You have a 3% chance of getting off the waitlist.

Not to be harsh, but I think a reality-check is healthy at this point in the game. If any of us get waitlisted, I think it would be prudent to not hold up your life hoping for Columbia to want you back. Ride the waitlist if your circumstances allow it, but make other plans and expect to have to keep them.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 pm

checkers wrote:
checkers wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=225363

This is only LSN data, but it should be reliable enough for a general rule. Columbia waitlists many, many applicants (41.7% of all applicants averaged over the past 3 cycles), and of those, 3.2% were admitted. From the LSN data, that's 15 waitlist->admit over the past 3 years. Now the base number (15) is obviously a subset of the true number, but % is probably closer to truth, assuming LSN possesses a reliable sampling of applicants.

TLDR: You have a 3% chance of getting off the waitlist.

Not to be harsh, but I think a reality-check is healthy at this point in the game. If any of us get waitlisted, I think it would be prudent to not hold up your life hoping for Columbia to want you back. Ride the waitlist if your circumstances allow it, but make other plans and expect to have to keep them.

Yeah, this cannot be reiterated enough. There is no reason to let CLS ruin you for the next three months. I've been on rough wait lists and it can be a really negative factor in your life.

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Uh oh. If they waitlisted people today, then that means rejections/acceptances are coming at some point too..... But there's movement at least!

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:59 pm

tenniscourt wrote:Uh oh. If they waitlisted people today, then that means rejections/acceptances are coming at some point too..... But there's movement at least!

Movement of any kind is appreciated at this point. Whether it's a golden egg or a giant turd, I feel that whatever is coming is already determined, so I wish the giant colon of CLS admissions would just pass it on.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:59 pm

checkers wrote:
tenniscourt wrote:Uh oh. If they waitlisted people today, then that means rejections/acceptances are coming at some point too..... But there's movement at least!

Movement of any kind is appreciated at this point. Whether it's a golden egg or a giant turd, I feel that whatever is coming is already determined, so I wish the giant colon of CLS admissions would just pass it on.

BAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:03 pm

gbelle wrote:
checkers wrote:

BAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU

;) <3

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

checkers wrote:

LOOOOL :lol:

OVOXO

Postby OVOXO » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:17 pm

wl'd, 4.0x 171

jjmaple8

Postby jjmaple8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Put on reserve today. Submitted late January, complete early March. Not previously held.

Abysmal stats by Columbia standards, so I'm surprised, mildly flattered, and mostly annoyed that it took so long to give me a non-decision.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I've mentioned this before in other quarters, but the number of people getting into CLS off reserve is larger the doom and gloom here indicates. LSN sample of reserve to admit is deceptively small. In large part, what accounts for this is a lot of people stop updating LSN profiles after May (note the massive "pending" and unchanged WL sections from previous years), and when dealing with such small sample sizes, if TLS/LSN are particularly unrepresentative in any given year it can cause a sizable discrepancy.

I know too many people at CLS who were admitted over the summer for the 3% figure to hold. It's a non-negligible portion of the entering class. Although I will say, people admitted off reserve tend to have spectacularly high LSATs: 175+. If you're really curious, contact the admissions office and get an accurate figure of the #/% of reserve admits.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:31 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I've mentioned this before in other quarters, but the number of people getting into CLS off reserve is larger the doom and gloom here indicates. LSN sample of reserve to admit is deceptively small. In large part, what accounts for this is a lot of people stop updating LSN profiles after May (note the massive "pending" and unchanged WL sections from previous years), and when dealing with such small sample sizes, if TLS/LSN are particularly unrepresentative in any given year it can cause a sizable discrepancy.

I know too many people at CLS who were admitted over the summer for the 3% figure to hold. It's a non-negligible portion of the entering class. Although I will say, people admitted off reserve tend to have spectacularly high LSATs: 175+. If you're really curious, contact the admissions office and get an accurate figure of the #/% of reserve admits.

But don't you just need to place this 3% in relation to other T14s to realize that it's still pretty dour? 3%, whether real or not, is the lowest of the T14s by a terrific margin.

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I've mentioned this before in other quarters, but the number of people getting into CLS off reserve is larger the doom and gloom here indicates. LSN sample of reserve to admit is deceptively small. In large part, what accounts for this is a lot of people stop updating LSN profiles after May (note the massive "pending" and unchanged WL sections from previous years), and when dealing with such small sample sizes, if TLS/LSN are particularly unrepresentative in any given year it can cause a sizable discrepancy.

Credible anecdote + valid criticism of the data = great points. I neglected to consider that people weren't as religiously dedicated to their LSN profiles as I am to mine, so I'm glad to hear this view. Hopefully this is the silver-lining some people need to sooth the waitlist stings of today.

checkers

Postby checkers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:40 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:But don't you just need to place this 3% in relation to other T14s to realize that it's still pretty dour? 3%, whether real or not, is the lowest of the T14s by a terrific margin.

This is true as well. So generally, if you're waitlisted, chances are probably better than 3%, but worst than any other T14. Glass half empty/full people can look at that how they will. Just keep things in perspective.

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Would it be too optimistic to hope for acceptances today or am I pushing it? :roll:

Scvaz7

Postby Scvaz7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 pm

tenniscourt wrote:Would it be too optimistic to hope for acceptances today or am I pushing it? :roll:

Hope springs eternal. I'm with you. Maybe there will be acceptances today :)

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:35 pm

tenniscourt wrote:Would it be too optimistic to hope for acceptances today or am I pushing it? :roll:

This would be uhmazing.

thevolunteerstate

Postby thevolunteerstate » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 pm

I
Last edited by thevolunteerstate on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:42 pm

gatorkristen wrote:I was put on reserve a week ago and need to send an LOCI. I see that Columbia has a place to submit them on their admissions website (http://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... d-interest). Anyone have any advice as to whether I should submit there or mail it directly to the school via snail mail? Thanks!!

Probably just go ahead and upload it

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Scvaz7 wrote:

Hope springs eternal. I'm with you. Maybe there will be acceptances today :)

If not I'll have to start practicing sorcery and put a spell on them a la Hocus Pocus. :roll:

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 pm

gatorkristen wrote:I was put on reserve a week ago and need to send an LOCI. I see that Columbia has a place to submit them on their admissions website (http://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... d-interest). Anyone have any advice as to whether I should submit there or mail it directly to the school via snail mail? Thanks!!

I'd email it just so they get it faster. And you'd have a receipt of having sent it.

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Their last big acceptance wave, according to LSN, was about a month ago so something this week would be nice. Deposit deadlines are approaching and I just need to know! :roll:

Scvaz7

Postby Scvaz7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:10 pm

NYU is doing a big wave of stuff right now so maybe as another NY school, Columbia will follow haha

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”