Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SFrost » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Is it better to have been held earlier or now? I'm in the earlier group. I'm thinking it's bad!

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Helds - don't give up!


Any idea why CLS is yield protecting like this? Do you think it was the last minute exodus of people last year?
Last edited by drawstring on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 pm

SFrost wrote:Is it better to have been held earlier or now? I'm in the earlier group. I'm thinking it's bad!


I recall reading the opposite.

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SFrost » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:12 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:really disappointed to see so many people still getting no decision. volume of holds seems high, astronomically so, when added to the other two big waves. they must have decided to use the class of 2017 as guinea pigs to see how holding everyone in sight works for their admissions stats. I haven't been looking at a lot of the other boards...does anyone else seem to be rivaling them in holds?


Well on LSN there's over 150 people accepted. Accounting for some estimate of fake profiles and the number of people accepted who don't use LSN, it looks like they've sent enough acceptances to fill their class with a good enough yield. I interpret the holds as a decision between deny or waitlist, not deny/WL/accept.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:13 pm

Columbia typically makes like 1000+ offers. I'm not sure 150 acceptances on LSN should be taken as a sufficient amount to fill the class.

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SFrost » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:18 pm

drawstring wrote:Columbia typically makes like 1000+ offers. I'm not sure 150 acceptances on LSN should be taken as a sufficient amount to fill the class.


I just looked up the profile - I had no idea the yield was so low / admits were so high. Gives me hope :D

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:28 pm

SFrost wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:really disappointed to see so many people still getting no decision. volume of holds seems high, astronomically so, when added to the other two big waves. they must have decided to use the class of 2017 as guinea pigs to see how holding everyone in sight works for their admissions stats. I haven't been looking at a lot of the other boards...does anyone else seem to be rivaling them in holds?


Well on LSN there's over 150 people accepted. Accounting for some estimate of fake profiles and the number of people accepted who don't use LSN, it looks like they've sent enough acceptances to fill their class with a good enough yield. I interpret the holds as a decision between deny or waitlist, not deny/WL/accept.

Even if all this is true, it doesn't explain why they would make people wait an extra month or two to be denied/waitlisted. There is something weird with them. YPing also seems suspect given how little YP room there is at the top and how arbitrary it would have to be to decide who above your 75ths is an admit versus a hold. It's like they decided we are going to accept half our top applicants like normal, the other half will need to wait and this way...(fill in the blank). My other theory is they have replaced their admissions officers with a new totally automated admissions algorithm that is making these decisions on a weird moneyball kind of statistical analysis that normal human intuition cannot understand.

mulhollanddrive
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mulhollanddrive » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:42 pm

-

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:58 pm

mulhollanddrive wrote:So is it better to be on hold or reserve for Columbia?

Or does the meaning of a hold vary depending on the applicant? As in, is a hold for stronger applicants it means that they are between admit and waitlist, while for weaker applicants it means that they are between a waitlist and denial?

Being held is better by definition, since at the very least you are still eligible for spots in their initial class offering. Or course, it doesn't guarantee anything, by definition, either. Trying to speculate as to what a hold means or what signals it sends beyond the simple definition of it is a dead end, imo, because the holds seem so widespread as to be unprecedented. Last year, a few people went from hold to accepted, but that was a situation that seemed more par for the course. Hopefully, for holds, there are still enough unfilled spots to accommodate a high number or them, but only people at Columbia know the ratio of holds to spots left or what their strategy is for determining who gets them. The only way to know is to ride it out. Good luck, they're crazy this year!

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2242
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 pm

drawstring wrote:
SFrost wrote:Is it better to have been held earlier or now? I'm in the earlier group. I'm thinking it's bad!


I recall reading the opposite.


Likewise

User avatar
bryanjbay12
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:25 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bryanjbay12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Still alive! But really just waiting on the inevitable wave of ding emails that come tomorrow.
Last edited by bryanjbay12 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Cocoblues » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm

gta wrote:One more for the "Held" group here

lawschoolgal90
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschoolgal90 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
gta wrote:One more for the "Held" group here

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Columbia told me I was held today. After being under review since November, I'm like, "YA THINK?"

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby papercut » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:56 pm

waferthinmint wrote:Columbia told me I was held today. After being under review since November, I'm like, "YA THINK?"


Where were you in relation to their 25-50-75 gpa and lsat?

wheelhouse12
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wheelhouse12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Held
At GPA 75th, above LSAT 75th
I think my application was submitted too late--Jan 30

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wtrc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm

wheelhouse12 wrote:Held
At GPA 75th, above LSAT 75th
I think my application was submitted too late--Jan 30


Sorry to hear. Not sure if this will provide any comfort, but I don't think you need to worry about application date. I have similar numbers to you and was also held recently, and I submitted in November.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 pm

papercut wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:Columbia told me I was held today. After being under review since November, I'm like, "YA THINK?"


Where were you in relation to their 25-50-75 gpa and lsat?


25th gpa, 75th lsat
#splitterftw

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:06 pm

is there anyone still waiting/under review who was NOT held today? Or did they put everyone left on hold (or reject)?

User avatar
bryanjbay12
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:25 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bryanjbay12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:08 pm

james.bungles wrote:is there anyone still waiting/under review who was NOT held today? Or did they put everyone left on hold (or reject)?


Yes, they asked for my grades on Friday, no news today

jjking
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jjking » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 pm

deleted
Last edited by jjking on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby papercut » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:13 pm

wheelhouse12 wrote:Held
At GPA 75th, above LSAT 75th
I think my application was submitted too late--Jan 30


Yeah, this is YP. They're thinking you're off to Harvard for sure (so am I).

User avatar
bryanjbay12
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:25 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bryanjbay12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:15 pm

jjking wrote:was this the "potentially viable" splitter hold wave? Breathing a sigh of relief at having evaded death...at least for now...


It was not just splitters. There were people with numbers all over the place.

carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby carolinainmymind » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Still waiting here as well. I didn't go complete until Feb though, so I'm thinking maybe they don't feel the need to hold me yet.

jjking
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jjking » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm

bryanjbay12 wrote:
jjking wrote:was this the "potentially viable" splitter hold wave? Breathing a sigh of relief at having evaded death...at least for now...


It was not just splitters. There were people with numbers all over the place.
Last edited by jjking on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, cyclawps, DoYouEvenTLS, hamburg, jer0689, Keilz, Leliana, lillawyer2, sonyco, TecumsehSherman, texteach, unrelated and 35 guests