Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Instinctive
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Instinctive » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 am

kartelite wrote:
Vexed wrote:Well, today I got an email saying they're finally going to review my application because the JD/MBA deadline had passed without me submitting an MBA app to the business school.... didn't intend to check that box. :roll:


For people who applied to the joint program, are they going to wait for a decision from the business school? LSAT > 75, GPA > median. I received an interview invite for the MBA program but they don't make a decision until next month :evil:


Received same email.

After having already applied and been rejected by the MBA program…way to be on top of thing Columbia. Given the rest of my cycle on both JD and MBA fronts…I have no FUCKING clue how Columbia operates. Like, at all.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby moopness » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:57 am

Still not complete either...would be really nice if I got an admissions decision + financial aid information before April 21st, seeing as how that's the deadline for me to accept or reject NYU's scholarship offer. To say nothing about hearing back before their last ASW -____-

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 am

moopness wrote:Still not complete either...would be really nice if I got an admissions decision + financial aid information before April 21st, seeing as how that's the deadline for me to accept or reject NYU's scholarship offer. To say nothing about hearing back before their last ASW -____-


They start rolling out very quickly by early/mid April to accommodate competing scholarships. NYU will also grant you an extra week of float if you ask for it in advance and explain why - I had to do this while waiting on CLS grant decisions last year.

Also remember, you don't have to withdraw from schools you havent heard from/are held at when you accept another offer. While it sucks to lose one seat deposit, its a drop in the barrel in the grand scheme and helps with negotiations (although DON'T make multiple deposits coterminously).

truckstop
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby truckstop » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 pm

zsazsa wrote:
truckstop wrote:you're definitely not limited to only one [clinic] for the entirety of law school

Truckstop, can you provide a source for this?

With so few clinics, it seems likely to me that CLS would limit each student to one semester-long clinic. Perhaps the goal is to allow as many students as possible the opportunity to participate?


I went to the admitted student days last week, and the question was asked at the clinic session. I think it's difficult to get a second one, but you're not limited by an actual rule about the number of clinics you can do.

User avatar
corporatebarbarian
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby corporatebarbarian » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:05 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
Sorry about the hold, congrats on Harvard!

I feel like this ties to the earlier discussion re. hold strategy, using holds as a way to weed out those who will likely go to HYS but may not have the stats for a named scholarship.


This worries me so much. As someone who has potentially YP worthy stats (strong emphasis on potentially because I really don't believe my numbers should be worthy of YP but Columbia's actions this cycle indicate otherwise) who doesn't have a HYS acceptance, I really hope I don't fall through the cracks.

Please Columbia, why don't you love me as much as I love you? :?


+1 February LSAT re-taker here. Looking more and more like I'm going have to ultimately sit out this cycle.

User avatar
rseaney
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rseaney » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:01 pm

so if i want to try to leverage my nyu money to try to get columbia money, does anyone know who i sh contact? admissions?

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby neprep » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:24 pm

rseaney wrote:so if i want to try to leverage my nyu money to try to get columbia money, does anyone know who i sh contact? admissions?


Well, first you should wait for an award from Columbia, right? I thought they weren't going out until April. But yeah while it would be great to email someone specific in Admissions, I don't think Dean Iwerbon's or anyone else's email address is available freely (not even in the Admitted Students Handbook :( ). I'd shoot it off to the general admissions email. Or who knows, maybe the award will come with some additional details / contact info.

User avatar
jace8819
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jace8819 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm

If you know a specific person's name in the admissions office, Columbia's website has a searchable directory and you can pull their email from that...

Adcomm stalking 101.

mattyice122
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mattyice122 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm

In today via email, wow! Never expected this at all, so thrilled!

User avatar
yarrow
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby yarrow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:56 pm

mattyice122 wrote:In today via email, wow! Never expected this at all, so thrilled!


congratulations! when did you send and go complete?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:03 pm

mattyice122 wrote:In today via email, wow! Never expected this at all, so thrilled!


Congrats!

User avatar
jasper09
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jasper09 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm

mattyice122 wrote:In today via email, wow! Never expected this at all, so thrilled!


Congratulations!!

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby retaking23 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Got the app complete email and my heart skipped a beat. Columbia, you will always be my number 1.

mattyice122
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mattyice122 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:01 pm

yarrow wrote:
mattyice122 wrote:In today via email, wow! Never expected this at all, so thrilled!


congratulations! when did you send and go complete?


Thank you all so much! I really appreciate it. Sent it on 1/5, complete 1/24. Best of luck to everyone!

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:26 pm

mattyice122 wrote:
yarrow wrote:
mattyice122 wrote:In today via email, wow! Never expected this at all, so thrilled!


congratulations! when did you send and go complete?


Thank you all so much! I really appreciate it. Sent it on 1/5, complete 1/24. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats! ...wow such a fast submit -> complete turnaround for Columbia aha

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby moopness » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:55 am

jbagelboy wrote:
moopness wrote:Still not complete either...would be really nice if I got an admissions decision + financial aid information before April 21st, seeing as how that's the deadline for me to accept or reject NYU's scholarship offer. To say nothing about hearing back before their last ASW -____-


They start rolling out very quickly by early/mid April to accommodate competing scholarships. NYU will also grant you an extra week of float if you ask for it in advance and explain why - I had to do this while waiting on CLS grant decisions last year.

Also remember, you don't have to withdraw from schools you havent heard from/are held at when you accept another offer. While it sucks to lose one seat deposit, its a drop in the barrel in the grand scheme and helps with negotiations (although DON'T make multiple deposits coterminously).

Ah fasho, thanks for the heads up!!

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby moopness » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:55 am

mattyice122 wrote:In today via email, wow! Never expected this at all, so thrilled!

Congrats that fucking awesome dude!

actexas
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:28 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby actexas » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:02 am

Interview scheduled for Monday 3/17.
What should I expact?

User avatar
PhenomenalWoman
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:32 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 am

koalacity wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:I've been pending completion for a month; is this normal?


(takes long drag of cigarette)

There is no normal.


+1 :lol: THIS.

This is true. I'm not sure what Columbia is up to this cycle. I am also not sure that they know what they're up to.

But to answer your question, PhenomenalWomen, it is normal to take 4-6 weeks (or longer) to go complete at Columbia.


Thanks. I was thrown off a bit from the What to Expect When You're Expecting thread, as it indicates that Columbia takes only a couple of weeks to go complete. I suppose that all bets are off this late in the cycle.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 am

When do we think the first Holds will hear back? I can't imagine that they'd wait until April. Do we think a trip up to Morningside could help at all for like a class visit or something?

User avatar
MrMileyCyrus
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:25 am

lastsamurai wrote:When do we think the first Holds will hear back? I can't imagine that they'd wait until April. Do we think a trip up to Morningside could help at all for like a class visit or something?


+1

I really don't feel like waiting until April at this point, especially after my nice LOCI.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:32 am

lastsamurai wrote:When do we think the first Holds will hear back? I can't imagine that they'd wait until April. Do we think a trip up to Morningside could help at all for like a class visit or something?


I'd be pretty surprised if any of us heard before April, unfortunately. From Waitlists to Cornell's Reserve to Duke's PR, it looks like everything is being delayed until after they get through the remaining applications.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby CookieDough » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Guys I got put on reserve!! :shock:

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:15 pm

CookieDough wrote:Guys I got put on reserve!! :shock:


Can we get a little more information?

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby CookieDough » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:31 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
CookieDough wrote:Guys I got put on reserve!! :shock:


Can we get a little more information?


Sorry. Freaked out. Submitted 1/15, complete 2/4. Got an email with the letter attached. 3.4 169




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”