Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jasper09

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by jasper09 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

bbkk wrote:
jasper09 wrote:In!!!

Complete Feb 25th

True story: I got the email in the middle of tutoring someone, and the attachment wouldn't open when I discretely tried to open it using my phone while the kid did a math problem. Columbia admissions purgatory throughout the rest of the lesson and drive home, until I could check my email on my computer. #anxiety
OMG we had the same complete date! Now i'm getting nervous..
I wouldn't be nervous- no Butler or Hamilton here, so they may just be taking extra time deciding which to offer you! :)

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:35 am

Any end of January applicants want to PM me? Particularly those who are still 'completion pending'? Currently sitting at 45+ days.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:15 am

Ok Columbia. You can make a decision now. I know it's only been 128 days, but I don't mind…

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

juicebox

Bronze

Post by juicebox » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Held via email. Interviewed three weeks ago, GPA>75th, LSAT 25th. Going to withdraw.

Best of luck to everyone else!

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Wow, now they are holding those they have interviewed. Gotta love Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrHabeas

New

Post by MrHabeas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Held via email!

Complete the second week of January
Interview the second week of February

GPA and LSAT > 75%

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:47 pm

MrHabeas wrote:Held via email!

GPA and LSAT > 75%
What! Not more of this. Time for everybody on TLS to start scratching their heads again, but first check and be sure your scalp has properly healed since the last time they held everybody above their 75ths.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:54 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
juicebox wrote:So confused by Columbia. Had my interview over two weeks ago and haven't heard back despite promises that they'd get back in under the two week deadline. Did anybody else who was interviewed hear back from them later than promised?
This is a bad look IMO. If they don't get back to me within 2 weeks of my interview it's going to take a lot of money for me to consider going
It's beyond looking bad at this point...especially relative to NYU. The two approaches could not be more distinct. Curious to see how many just say fuck it and choose NYU.
NYU has definitely impressed me. If they sent a full-ride my way I probably would have gone. The quick admissions response time and constant stream of outreach are definitely a stark contrast to the cold shoulder approach of CLS.
I remember how frustrating admissions can be, but I would urge you to stay objective: don't let a matter of weeks or even months to determine 3+ yrs of where you spend your time and get your degree. NYU should certainly be a top consideration, but see how everything plays out through April with financial aid and ABA figures. People were angry and frustrated by all the hoops for Harvard WL and Columbia reserve last year waiting until late July to figure out where they would be, but ultimately, it doesn't matter come september which school sent what notification when. Just keep your heads up!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Again with the holds, great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrMileyCyrus

Bronze

Post by MrMileyCyrus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:56 pm

This is little the most perplexing thing ever. I just don't understand their "strategy."

Their next ASW is April 9-10, so I'd assume they'd have to give most of us helds an answer by the end of March/early April at the least. Everyone held has really competitive numbers and really good options, so none of us are going to stand being strung along until the last minute.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:06 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote:This is little the most perplexing thing ever. I just don't understand their "strategy."

Their next ASW is April 9-10, so I'd assume they'd have to give most of us helds an answer by the end of March/early April at the least. Everyone held has really competitive numbers and really good options, so none of us are going to stand being strung along until the last minute.
I wish I had the numbers of most people held. I don't like my odds with so many >75s here.

MrHabeas

New

Post by MrHabeas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:13 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
MrHabeas wrote:Held via email!

GPA and LSAT > 75%
What! Not more of this. Time for everybody on TLS to start scratching their heads again, but first check and be sure your scalp has properly healed since the last time they held everybody above their 75ths.
I did send an addendum, so perhaps I was really part of the last wave of holds but the addendum delayed Columbia sending its decision.

And is the current consensus that Columbia holds applicants with high numbers that are not quite competitive for their named scholarships, but are at a high risk of turning down Columbia at sticker to go elsewhere? That way they can YP by determining which applicants are more likely to attend when they see who writes LOCI and who withdraws.

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:20 pm

MrHabeas wrote: And is the current consensus that Columbia holds applicants with high numbers that are not quite competitive for their named scholarships, but are at a high risk of turning down Columbia at sticker to go elsewhere? That way they can YP by determining which applicants are more likely to attend when they see who writes LOCI and who withdraws.
I'm not sure if it's the consensus, but I definitely think this is the case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm

MrHabeas wrote: I did send an addendum, so perhaps I was really part of the last wave of holds but the addendum delayed Columbia sending its decision.

And is the current consensus that Columbia holds applicants with high numbers that are not quite competitive for their named scholarships, but are at a high risk of turning down Columbia at sticker to go elsewhere? That way they can YP by determining which applicants are more likely to attend when they see who writes LOCI and who withdraws.
Without any kind of insider information and without seeing what they finally do decide to commit to for these people, I think this is the best guess. When they first sprung the interviews someone cited a consultant as thinking it might be some YP...but then again we don't want to forget the people whose numbers are unlikely to be YP that are getting swept up in the madness.
Did it seem like they were driving at anything with their interview questions to you or was it just genial admissions talk?

MrHabeas

New

Post by MrHabeas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:59 pm

EquallyWrong wrote: Did it seem like they were driving at anything with their interview questions to you or was it just genial admissions talk?
While at the time it did not feel like the interviewer was necessarily driving the conversation anywhere in particular, we did spend considerable time discussing "Why Columbia." I am interested in PI, so I pointed to some of Columbia's clinical programs as part of Columbia's appeal. The interviewer then mentioned that students could participate in only one clinical program for one semester. I did not see this information on Columbia's website, and no mention of this restriction was made when I spoke with an admissions officer on the phone, so the information surprised me and slightly disappointed me. Perhaps my interviewer sensed that surprise and disappointment, and concluded I would be safer as a "held" applicant until I expressed continued interest.
Perhaps.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Accepted via e-mail just now. Interviewed a couple of weeks ago.

GPA<25th, LSAT=75th, URM. Excited, but no scholarship info attached, though. :?

juicebox

Bronze

Post by juicebox » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm

MrHabeas wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote: Did it seem like they were driving at anything with their interview questions to you or was it just genial admissions talk?
While at the time it did not feel like the interviewer was necessarily driving the conversation anywhere in particular, we did spend considerable time discussing "Why Columbia." I am interested in PI, so I pointed to some of Columbia's clinical programs as part of Columbia's appeal. The interviewer then mentioned that students could participate in only one clinical program for one semester. I did not see this information on Columbia's website, and no mention of this restriction was made when I spoke with an admissions officer on the phone, so the information surprised me and slightly disappointed me. Perhaps my interviewer sensed that surprise and disappointment, and concluded I would be safer as a "held" applicant until I expressed continued interest.
Perhaps.
SO WEIRD. I had the exact same conversation. Literally said I was interested in PI, talked about the clinics. Then they gave me the one semester answer too and I left the interview feeling kind of down on CLS. She was backpedaling and talking about externships but I'm sure she could sense it.

To answer the original question - not driving anything. Very generic questions with lots of Why Columbia thrown in there. Some (two I think?) directed questions about my PS and resume.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Held as well.

LSAT > 75th
GPA > 50th

Got Harvard and I'm assuming this hold means I shouldn't expect much from Columbia so I'm probably going to withdraw my app. Good luck everyone!

Irn Bru

New

Post by Irn Bru » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

In!

GPA < 25th/LSAT = 75th

I interviewed and was sure I had not shot. I'm interested in PI and was pretty set on NYU, with a possibility of UVA or Michigan, but now I don't know what to think.

MrHabeas

New

Post by MrHabeas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:40 pm

juicebox wrote:
SO WEIRD. I had the exact same conversation. Literally said I was interested in PI, talked about the clinics. Then they gave me the one semester answer too and I left the interview feeling kind of down on CLS. She was backpedaling and talking about externships but I'm sure she could sense it.
Fascinating. Our experiences seem to support the narrative that CLS only wants to train rich and powerful biglaw attorneys in NYC. Do you have other options at this juncture, juicebox? If you and I decide to withdraw, perhaps we should both mention our experience in our withdrawal letter. If CLS is serious about its commitment to PI, why would it include an artificial barrier to participation in clinical programs?

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

MrHabeas wrote:
juicebox wrote:
Fascinating. Our experiences seem to support the narrative that CLS only wants to train rich and powerful biglaw attorneys in NYC. Do you have other options at this juncture, juicebox? If you and I decide to withdraw, perhaps we should both mention our experience in our withdrawal letter. If CLS is serious about its commitment to PI, why would it include an artificial barrier to participation in clinical programs?
This is weird... at ASW, they wouldn't stop talking about how great their PI program is. Definitely didn't mention the limit on clinics.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Quest4Knowledge

Bronze

Post by Quest4Knowledge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:54 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Held as well.

LSAT > 75th
GPA > 50th

Got Harvard and I'm assuming this hold means I shouldn't expect much from Columbia so I'm probably going to withdraw my app. Good luck everyone!
Sorry about the hold, congrats on Harvard!

I feel like this ties to the earlier discussion re. hold strategy, using holds as a way to weed out those who will likely go to HYS but may not have the stats for a named scholarship.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:05 pm

There are plenty of ways to do PI work during the school year, even if you're not doing a clinic. It's one of the great things about going to school in NYC. The school also sponsors a ton of PI-related initiatives.

I do feel for you guys though. CLS yield-protecting? Practically unheard of before this cycle. But don't be too swayed by admissions. It won't really be representative of the school in general.

Edit: Also keep in mind that you can start your career in civil litigation at a large law firm and later transition to public interest work (Legal Aid, DA's office, etc.).
Last edited by banjo on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Sorry about the hold, congrats on Harvard!

I feel like this ties to the earlier discussion re. hold strategy, using holds as a way to weed out those who will likely go to HYS but may not have the stats for a named scholarship.
This worries me so much. As someone who has potentially YP worthy stats (strong emphasis on potentially because I really don't believe my numbers should be worthy of YP but Columbia's actions this cycle indicate otherwise) who doesn't have a HYS acceptance, I really hope I don't fall through the cracks.

Please Columbia, why don't you love me as much as I love you? :?

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 pm

MrHabeas wrote:The interviewer then mentioned that students could participate in only one clinical program for one semester.
Does this mean that the maximum amount of time in a CLS student's entire law school career that could be spent on clinics is one semester? Or that for each clinic, a student can only participate in it for one semester (but could do a different clinic a different semester)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”