Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cpkelly
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cpkelly » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:31 pm

Just accepted this week! Pretty excited 8)

I'm hoping someone here could answer a question I have. I just received the official acceptance letter in the mail and there is no financial aid information to be found. Anybody know when to expect it or if that means I won't be awarded any scholarship money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

lostg4ever
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lostg4ever » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:33 pm

Held aka hell

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:35 pm

cpkelly wrote:Just accepted this week! Pretty excited 8)

I'm hoping someone here could answer a question I have. I just received the official acceptance letter in the mail and there is no financial aid information to be found. Anybody know when to expect it or if that means I won't be awarded any scholarship money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


You've got to fill out their forms and get them some info and then aid offers come later.

Only the Butler and Hamilton scholarships are sent in the original mailing. Check on the ASW for more information about scholarship/financial aid.

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mt2165 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:05 am

cpkelly wrote:Just accepted this week! Pretty excited 8)

I'm hoping someone here could answer a question I have. I just received the official acceptance letter in the mail and there is no financial aid information to be found. Anybody know when to expect it or if that means I won't be awarded any scholarship money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


Yeahhhhh you're gunna wanna fill out the need access, fafsa, income tax returns, etc...ASAP

TLSCLB
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby TLSCLB » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:52 am

Vexed wrote:Oh Columbia, I just want to hear anything at all at this point.


Seriously...Columbia was the 2nd or 3rd school I applied to, sometime in early October. Went complete 10/23, interviewed early February (02/04), interviewer told me I'd hear back two weeks tops...and here we are in the second week of March with no response to emails. Sigh. Why Columbia, why?

User avatar
sims1
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby sims1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Had my interview recently. Pretty standard questions (compared to Harvard and Chicago) and the style was quite friendly and not too formal. Left a really good impression in my mind, definitely liking the school a lot after the interview.

jdapplicant
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jdapplicant » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:52 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
cpkelly wrote:Just accepted this week! Pretty excited 8)

I'm hoping someone here could answer a question I have. I just received the official acceptance letter in the mail and there is no financial aid information to be found. Anybody know when to expect it or if that means I won't be awarded any scholarship money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


You've got to fill out their forms and get them some info and then aid offers come later.

Only the Butler and Hamilton scholarships are sent in the original mailing. Check on the ASW for more information about scholarship/financial aid.


There's a checklist and detailed info in the Admitted Students Webpage. CLS has some additional required paperwork so read it carefully. Also, they start reviewing aid applications on March 15th so the sooner you get everything in, the better chance you'll have at a good scholarship. For any more questions check out the c/o 2017 page
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=221350&start=225

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm

MoHendy wrote:
Vexed wrote:Oh Columbia, I just want to hear anything at all at this point.


Seriously...Columbia was the 2nd or 3rd school I applied to, sometime in early October. Went complete 10/23, interviewed early February (02/04), interviewer told me I'd hear back two weeks tops...and here we are in the second week of March with no response to emails. Sigh. Why Columbia, why?

This is interesting. For some reason they're really indecisive when it comes to certain people. In this case, though, they made a pretty clear promise, got all the information they could probably get on your app, and still nothing. I wonder if it's an issue of maintaining numbers, of money allocation, or of not having adequate time/staff. A lot of the people who were being strung along have been held or accepted at this point, but its always interesting when more of Columbia's unofficial waiters come out of the woodwork. Obviously, it is a complex process...but some have pointed out this is a particularly weird year for them. We probably won't have enough information to speculate until they actually make some real decisions. As for me, I want New York as an option...maybe should have applied to NYU.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:11 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
MoHendy wrote:
Vexed wrote:Oh Columbia, I just want to hear anything at all at this point.


Seriously...Columbia was the 2nd or 3rd school I applied to, sometime in early October. Went complete 10/23, interviewed early February (02/04), interviewer told me I'd hear back two weeks tops...and here we are in the second week of March with no response to emails. Sigh. Why Columbia, why?

This is interesting. For some reason they're really indecisive when it comes to certain people. In this case, though, they made a pretty clear promise, got all the information they could probably get on your app, and still nothing. I wonder if it's an issue of maintaining numbers, of money allocation, or of not having adequate time/staff. A lot of the people who were being strung along have been held or accepted at this point, but its always interesting when more of Columbia's unofficial waiters come out of the woodwork. Obviously, it is a complex process...but some have pointed out this is a particularly weird year for them. We probably won't have enough information to speculate until they actually make some real decisions. As for me, I want New York as an option...maybe should have applied to NYU.


Why didn't you apply to NYU if you wanted New York as an option?

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Me not being ambivalent about NYC is a recent and unforeseen development.

I mention NYU mostly for the sake of comparison because I haven't seen anything about them having a bizarre cycle or doing any especially irritating things, which would have been nice in retrospect. I starting thinking about them only because Columbia is holding me in suspense. NYU just felt superfluous at the time, perhaps because of my early cycle hubris. If Columbia rejects me, then I'll feel bad about it.
Last edited by EquallyWrong on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wealtheow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:54 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:Me not being ambivalent about NYC is a recent and unforeseen development.


i'm glad i'm not the only one who had some reservations. luckily i did apply to nyu despite the fact that i had no intention of going to the city back when i applied... i've definitely come around to the idea, though, just trying to figure out how to not live in a cardboard box for the duration of my stay.

User avatar
Hitchensian
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Hitchensian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 pm

wealtheow wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:Me not being ambivalent about NYC is a recent and unforeseen development.


i'm glad i'm not the only one who had some reservations. luckily i did apply to nyu despite the fact that i had no intention of going to the city back when i applied... i've definitely come around to the idea, though, just trying to figure out how to not live in a cardboard box for the duration of my stay.


Yeah the housing situation is probably my foremost misgiving about the potential of living in NYC on a tight (nonexistent? lol) budget. But I do think it can be overcome.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby yomisterd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm

INNNN!!! 173/3.9x. Complete 1/30! Literally just got the email.

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Vexed » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 pm

yomisterd wrote:INNNN!!! 173/3.9x. Complete 1/30! Literally just got the email.


Congrats!

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:18 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:Me not being ambivalent about NYC is a recent and unforeseen development.

I mention NYU mostly for the sake of comparison because I haven't seen anything about them having a bizarre cycle or doing any especially irritating things, which would have been nice in retrospect. I starting thinking about them only because Columbia is holding me in suspense. NYU just felt superfluous at the time, perhaps because of my early cycle hubris. If Columbia rejects me, then I'll feel bad about it.


I guess I just don't see what you saw in Columbia that you weren't also attracted to in NYU? They are basically peer schools. I would imagine most people who apply to CLS apply to NYU. But I guess that doesn't matter now. Hopefully you'll get in and you won't have to consider the what if's.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby yomisterd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:22 pm

Vexed wrote:
yomisterd wrote:INNNN!!! 173/3.9x. Complete 1/30! Literally just got the email.


Congrats!


Thanks vexed! These next few months will be a bit strange for me, as I am often at Columbia for teacher development programs. LOL

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:22 pm

Columbia is the balls.

I am just about ready to jump headlong into the loving, open arms of NYU and Greenwich Village.

leeway89
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby leeway89 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Got the email today! Ignored it for a bit cause all I saw was "Admit" as sender and no subject - figured it was spam mail or something. Probably will end up here since my parents live near the school (whooo lower living expense!) unless I get a better financial $ at the other schools!

Whoops forgot to add info: GPA<25, LSAT>75 with decent softs (TFA?)
Last edited by leeway89 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SordidLSATHistory
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby SordidLSATHistory » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Congrats Leeway and Yomisterd (sending that teacher love)!

Do we know if they're still using snail mail for any of the acceptances? Because if they aren't, I could at least enjoy the convenience of consolidating my sources of daily disappointment...

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Vexed » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 pm

SordidLSATHistory wrote:Congrats Leeway and Yomisterd (sending that teacher love)!

Do we know if they're still using snail mail for any of the acceptances? Because if they aren't, I could at least enjoy the convenience of consolidating my sources of daily disappointment...


As somebody waiting on his mail right now, I would like to know about this too.

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Fianna13 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:43 pm

In with Butler by email!!! >75th for both.

edit: no interview :/

Nomo
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nomo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 pm

I hope all of you are asking Columbia and any other schools you might be considering what they plan to do with their LRAP plans if the proposed changes to PSLF (or something like them) does end up going through. Even those of you with no intention to use an LRAP plan, might end up needing it as a safety net. It should be part of your decision.

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wealtheow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 pm

IN! Via e-mail - timestamped 6:15pm. SO HAPPY :mrgreen: 174/3.7X. Submitted around 1/21, went complete on 2/14. Time to go celebrate!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 pm

wealtheow wrote:IN! Via e-mail - timestamped 6:15pm. SO HAPPY :mrgreen: 174/3.7X. Submitted around 1/21, went complete on 2/14. Time to go celebrate!


Congrats! Hope you join us

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby yomisterd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 pm

SordidLSATHistory wrote:Congrats Leeway and Yomisterd (sending that teacher love)!

Do we know if they're still using snail mail for any of the acceptances? Because if they aren't, I could at least enjoy the convenience of consolidating my sources of daily disappointment...


It seems like they are switching over to an email when they send your letter. Maybe to speed up the process of letting students know?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., blahblah123, cyclawps, JazzyMac, potatocowpower and 13 guests