Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:11 pm

charlie.black wrote:
Gary wrote:Really sorry to see so many regulars get the hold. I'm sure you guys will get in a month from now so I wouldn't be too worried :)

On another note, this looks like the first time Columbia is using this type of strategy so what do you think separates the people who already got Hammies/Butlers from all you above 75ths people?? Especially Lastsamurai who clearly has strong ties to NYC..


my old theory is that they assume we will all have gotten into HYS or $$$ from t10, but don't want to/have the butlers/hammys to lure us away. Simply put, perhaps we are not worth the cost.


Yeah I'd say we're like the second tier after those with amazing stats and softs. We generally avoid YP at the mid T14 so are in the running for big scholarships there but also might snag HYS, so it ultimately makes sense for Columbia to try to figure us out a little better.

What doesn't make sense is to sit on my application for 5 months to only then hold me. If they wanted more information, I wish they had asked earlier.

Either way, CLS remains one of my top choices, and I hope that they can turn around a decision early enough to make them an option.

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ejan1621 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Heldddd. Around both 75ths, have a pretty good tie with NYC (just, ya know, i grew up here, live here now, and was accepted into one of their phd programs recently that im most likely going to). Disappointing but hopefully will get some good news soon for all of us.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:13 pm

ejan1621 wrote:Heldddd. Around both 75ths, have a pretty good tie with NYC (just, ya know, i grew up here, live here now, and was accepted into one of their phd programs recently that im most likely going to). Disappointing but hopefully will get some good news soon for all of us.


Oh man ejan...not you too! I don't see how they could possibly think that you weren't interested in coming...

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ejan1621 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:18 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
ejan1621 wrote:Heldddd. Around both 75ths, have a pretty good tie with NYC (just, ya know, i grew up here, live here now, and was accepted into one of their phd programs recently that im most likely going to). Disappointing but hopefully will get some good news soon for all of us.


Oh man ejan...not you too! I don't see how they could possibly think that you weren't interested in coming...


Ugh I know! But to be fair to CLS, I only told them about my acceptance like a month ago so that's really no time whatsoever for them to update my application :). I'm also not as YP territory as you all, so who knows - maybe they just didn't like me so much.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jingosaur » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:19 pm

Held

:(

>50th GPA >75th LSAT

User avatar
jace8819
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jace8819 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 pm

So, I have my Skype interview coming up next week. Anyone who has already lived through this anxiety have any tips? Was there a general trend behind questions being asked? It says there is no need to prepare for it, but I feel like that is a trap... :|

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Quite the little bloodbath we have going on. :shock:

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 pm

The-Specs wrote:Charlie, I feel like we do everything together...

Held!!

Seriously Columbia? This is just dumb.


Been quite the ride this cycle. Glad its finally closing up. :) (but seriously...the waiting has been awful)

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 pm

charlie.black wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Charlie, I feel like we do everything together...

Held!!

Seriously Columbia? This is just dumb.


Been quite the ride this cycle. Glad its finally closing up. :) (but seriously...the waiting has been awful)


If you two wanna go ahead and withdraw, I certainly wouldn't mind :D

User avatar
metroidbum
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby metroidbum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 pm

.
Last edited by metroidbum on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
whippersnappery
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whippersnappery » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Wow! Columbia, what are you doing? I'm sorry to everyone who got held. :( Anyone else above medians who went complete September through November still not heard anything?

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby yomisterd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Sorry to all those held. When did ya'll go complete?

User avatar
Vursz
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Vursz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Adding another to the pile of "Held" apps. Well above both 75ths, submitted/complete in Sept/Oct.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 pm

lastsamurai wrote:If you two wanna go ahead and withdraw, I certainly wouldn't mind :D


Is this your first choice, even over HLS?

yomisterd wrote:Sorry to all those held. When did ya'll go complete?


9/21

It just makes me wonder what in my application was so confusing that it took them over 5 months to decide to not decide.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:36 pm

whippersnappery wrote:Wow! Columbia, what are you doing? I'm sorry to everyone who got held. :( Anyone else above medians who went complete September through November still not heard anything?

Still waiting, more than mildly bemused by all this. I could get the hold email before the day is out, they seem to be committed to putting off their decisions for another month or so...maybe they just decided to hold every single outstanding (in both senses) application and go on vacation.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:43 pm

The-Specs wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:If you two wanna go ahead and withdraw, I certainly wouldn't mind :D


Is this your first choice, even over HLS?


It's not exactly black and white for me at this point. Wish I could give you an answer. I do know that with some finaid it would be incredibly difficult to turn down CLS.

User avatar
jace8819
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jace8819 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 pm

It seems as though most of you getting holds have already been "complete" for a long time, maybe this doesn't really represent a change in your status so much as it indicates that Columbia finally had the decency to inform you of what pile they had your applications in for the last several months. No decision in five months, four months, etc. is the exact equivalent of having your applications held, they are simply letting you know that is why you haven't already heard back from them. So, in many ways it is simply them saying, "hey guys and gals, we haven't forgot your applications or lost them, we are just still thinking..." I wouldn't read too much into it, or else you might start seeing ghosts where none exist.

User avatar
AFP
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AFP » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:50 pm

jace8819 wrote:It seems as though most of you getting holds have already been "complete" for a long time, maybe this doesn't really represent a change in your status so much as it indicates that Columbia finally had the decency to inform you of what pile they had your applications in for the last several months. No decision in five months, four months, etc. is the exact equivalent of having your applications held, they are simply letting you know that is why you haven't already heard back from them. So, in many ways it is simply them saying, "hey guys and gals, we haven't forgot your applications or lost them, we are just still thinking..." I wouldn't read too much into it, or else you might start seeing ghosts where none exist.


It may just be them confirming a status that already existed, but it also means we won't hear anything else for at least a few weeks. Columbia isn't going to send out Hold emails, then accept/WL/ding you a few days later.

Also, it's my understanding that Columbia has never done this to people with stellar numbers in past cycles. If correct, that indicates that they're trying a new tack, in which case TLS speculation is warranted.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Seeing how my cycle has turned out with the T5 (WL at Chicago, Held at Columbia, Rejected at Stanford, In at Harvard, rejected at Yale) I wonder if my JS1 was just phenomenal or if my PS/DS just really struck a chord with JS. It just all seems so strange.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:11 pm

^that does seem a bit strange specs...would think that at least one other would've bitten after H. It's like you got YP at CC and didn't quite make the cut for YS, but H fit just right

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby neprep » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:12 pm

The-Specs wrote:Seeing how my cycle has turned out with the T5 (WL at Chicago, Held at Columbia, Rejected at Stanford, In at Harvard, rejected at Yale) I wonder if my JS1 was just phenomenal or if my PS/DS just really struck a chord with JS. It just all seems so strange.


Meh, the only thing that seems strange about that is the WL at Chicago.

Being rejected by Stanford and Yale but accepted by Harvard is common (there were some stats about that on here somewhere) and being held at Columbia is becoming almost de rigueur for strong applicants.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 pm

lastsamurai wrote:but H fit just right


This sounds like the last line of a Legal Goldilocks story. :)

User avatar
Gary
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Gary » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:15 pm

neprep wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Seeing how my cycle has turned out with the T5 (WL at Chicago, Held at Columbia, Rejected at Stanford, In at Harvard, rejected at Yale) I wonder if my JS1 was just phenomenal or if my PS/DS just really struck a chord with JS. It just all seems so strange.


Meh, the only thing that seems strange about that is the WL at Chicago.

Being rejected by Stanford and Yale but accepted by Harvard is common (there were some stats about that on here somewhere) and being held at Columbia is becoming almost de rigueur for strong applicants.


The WL at Chicago isn't that surprising since I think you're a splitter right Specs? And Chicago had like a 3.9 GPA median... Which is crazy high

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby neprep » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Gary wrote:
neprep wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Seeing how my cycle has turned out with the T5 (WL at Chicago, Held at Columbia, Rejected at Stanford, In at Harvard, rejected at Yale) I wonder if my JS1 was just phenomenal or if my PS/DS just really struck a chord with JS. It just all seems so strange.


Meh, the only thing that seems strange about that is the WL at Chicago.

Being rejected by Stanford and Yale but accepted by Harvard is common (there were some stats about that on here somewhere) and being held at Columbia is becoming almost de rigueur for strong applicants.


The WL at Chicago isn't that surprising since I think you're a splitter right Specs? And Chicago had like a 3.9 GPA median... Which is crazy high


Yeah, that's true. Other schools with inexplicably high GPA medians: Penn and UVA.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:17 pm

neprep wrote:
Gary wrote:
neprep wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Seeing how my cycle has turned out with the T5 (WL at Chicago, Held at Columbia, Rejected at Stanford, In at Harvard, rejected at Yale) I wonder if my JS1 was just phenomenal or if my PS/DS just really struck a chord with JS. It just all seems so strange.


Meh, the only thing that seems strange about that is the WL at Chicago.

Being rejected by Stanford and Yale but accepted by Harvard is common (there were some stats about that on here somewhere) and being held at Columbia is becoming almost de rigueur for strong applicants.


The WL at Chicago isn't that surprising since I think you're a splitter right Specs? And Chicago had like a 3.9 GPA median... Which is crazy high


Yeah, that's true. Other schools with inexplicably high GPA medians: Penn and UVA.


All fair points but i didn't get YPed at Penn or UVA.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Google Adsense [Bot], sonyco and 12 guests