Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
vivala
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby vivala » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:09 pm

I emailed the admissions office to see if they got my LOCI after being held (I used the online form) and they haven't responded....should I be concerned?

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
btmoney84 wrote:Just got an email saying I was held. Any consensus on why people are being held?


All of us who are held are in contention for the secret Bamilton scholarship, which is a Full Ride + 75k stipend.


Read this as "Batmanilton"

NY = Gotham


I could get behind a Batman LS scholarship.

Does one need to show an interest in "public service" to be considered?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:11 pm

vivala wrote:I emailed the admissions office to see if they got my LOCI after being held (I used the online form) and they haven't responded....should I be concerned?


If the email wasn't sent at least 13 years ago, then no probably not.

But in seriousness, no, I would not be concerned yet. They will respond, it just might be several days.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Just "held" via email. Submitted in September, 3.9+, 175 (only score). No clue what happened. Columbia was near the top of my list. :?

Good luck all!

Edit: No C&F issues. Decent softs.
Last edited by charlie.black on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 pm

charlie.black wrote:Just "held" via email. Submitted in September, 3.9+, 175 (only score). No clue what happened. Columbia was near the top of my list. :?

Good luck all!


Welcome to the held club. :) We are a lovely bunch of coconuts.

Jaspers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Jaspers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Just got held. GPA > 3.6, LSAT 176, single take. No strange C&F, strong softs. Got in first wave at HLS. Sucks as I was really interested in Columbia and have pretty strong ties there. Anyone else in this boat? Also got WL at Chicago.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
charlie.black wrote:Just "held" via email. Submitted in September, 3.9+, 175 (only score). No clue what happened. Columbia was near the top of my list. :?

Good luck all!


Welcome to the held club. :) We are a lovely bunch of coconuts.


Thanks man. Not the best news, but at least the company is good.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wtrc » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Joining the held club! At or over both 75ths.

CLS, stop gaming the rankings.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:20 pm

wtrc wrote:Joining the held club! At or over both 75ths.

CLS, stop gaming the rankings.


Amen brudda.

Jaspers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Jaspers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Ah looks like I'm in good company, sorry guys. And congrats to those of you who have gotten in already!

sah
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby sah » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Joining the >75ths held club!

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kershka » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Held here too. GPA >75th, LSAT>median. Oh well, not pleased but not crushed.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Wow, lots of holds going out.

At least all of us are awesome. :mrgreen:

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bbkk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:25 pm

:shock: :shock:

Sorry guys. Maybe they just can't decide whether to give you guys butler or hammy.

User avatar
MrMileyCyrus
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Even though the held email said we'd get a decision "by April 25th," I wonder if it's possible we (or at least some of us) could hear back relatively soon, especially if we sent in quality LOCIs?

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm

This is so confusing! Maybe their yield for >75ths has been ridiculously low (understandably, as those are the individuals going to HYS/or $$$), and they've Held so many hoping for either withdraws or just increasing selectivity? Strange strategy though for a school so highly ranked, seems like it's high up on a lot of people's lists.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
wtrc wrote:Joining the held club! At or over both 75ths.

CLS, stop gaming the rankings.


Amen brudda.

+1

Also, come over to the Held Thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110935&start=125 . We have cookies.

Image

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:30 pm

bbkk wrote::shock: :shock:

Sorry guys. Maybe they just can't decide whether to give you guys butler or hammy.

+1

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Pretty disappointed to report a Hold here too. Columbia was easily at the top of my list going into this cycle. I'm above both medians, live/work in NYC, got into H and almost everywhere from Chi on down w/ some massive schollies.

Gonna get my LOCI ready and hope that they can give me a decision sooner than April 25th.

Sorry to hear about the other holds. We're down but not out! Best of luck to everyone

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

hmm maybe I should be happy that I got an interview invite..lol. I'm sure all of you holds are at hammy/butler contention

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bbkk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:35 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Pretty disappointed to report a Hold here too. Columbia was easily at the top of my list going into this cycle. I'm above both medians, live/work in NYC, got into H and almost everywhere from Chi on down w/ some massive schollies.

Gonna get my LOCI ready and hope that they can give me a decision sooner than April 25th.

Sorry to hear about the other holds. We're down but not out! Best of luck to everyone



Sorry to hear that, Samurai! :( I'm sure they'll take you eventually!! That LOCI would help, I think. Agree with Quest4Knowledge; they probably just wanted to make sure you are still interested in CLS, since you are HYS material!

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:40 pm

some pretty unambiguous evidence of YP shenanigans today...
maybe that really was the purpose of the interviews as well.

User avatar
Gary
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Gary » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Really sorry to see so many regulars get the hold. I'm sure you guys will get in a month from now so I wouldn't be too worried :)

On another note, this looks like the first time Columbia is using this type of strategy so what do you think separates the people who already got Hammies/Butlers from all you above 75ths people?? Especially Lastsamurai who clearly has strong ties to NYC..

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:01 pm

Gary wrote:Really sorry to see so many regulars get the hold. I'm sure you guys will get in a month from now so I wouldn't be too worried :)

On another note, this looks like the first time Columbia is using this type of strategy so what do you think separates the people who already got Hammies/Butlers from all you above 75ths people?? Especially Lastsamurai who clearly has strong ties to NYC..


my old theory is that they assume we will all have gotten into HYS or $$$ from t10, but don't want to/have the butlers/hammys to lure us away. Simply put, perhaps we are not worth the cost.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Charlie, I feel like we do everything together...

Held!!

Seriously Columbia? This is just dumb.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eageragnostic and 11 guests