Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drawstring

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:23 pm

I don't see it as a good sign for people with numbers at/above both medians. I would have also greatly preferred getting in than getting a 'decision' email telling me that they cannot make a decision on my file.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah Columbia is totally not my BFF this cycle.

Resurrecting this, seems oddly relevant:

--ImageRemoved--

For those sending in LOCIs, are you doing it via their submission form, or email, or pigeon?

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

drawstring wrote:Held with a 4.1+/173

You got robbed, but you'll probably end up getting in after a month or two if you still care to go.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:43 pm

So, what do I say in a LOCI if I have no new grades, awards, promotions, etc? Just something about loving Columbia?

Jessasaurus

Postby Jessasaurus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:44 pm

drawstring wrote:So, what do I say in a LOCI if I have no new grades, awards, promotions, etc? Just something about loving Columbia?

+100

I just recently sent them all my updates.... So now what should I say?

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Sorry to hear about the holds, I'm sure Columbia is trying to be cautious this cycle with yield. Say something to convince them about fit if you really want to attend!

kershka

Postby kershka » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Wow, super sorry about all the holds guys :( I have no idea what Columbia is doing this cycle.

I'm still hanging in there for now but with all these fantastic applicants getting held, I'm not sure that it's a good thing.

ifiknew

Postby ifiknew » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:54 pm

I wonder how many people actually withdraw from schools in the T14 that they most likely will not go to before May. Am I alone in not having withdrawn anywhere at this point even though I know there's a small chance of me going to certain schools where I'm on the WL or have been accepted. I just want to be absolutely certain, so I can't bring myself to withdraw. I'm just thinking about this given the large number of people that seem to be on the "held" list at Columbia.

Jessasaurus

Postby Jessasaurus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:58 pm

ifiknew wrote:I wonder how many people actually withdraw from schools in the T14 that they most likely will not go to before May. Am I alone in not having withdrawn anywhere at this point even though I know there's a small chance of me going to certain schools where I'm on the WL or have been accepted. I just want to be absolutely certain, so I can't bring myself to withdraw. I'm just thinking about this given the large number of people that seem to be on the "held" list at Columbia.

I would withdraw from any place that waitlisted me that wasn't harvard or stanford. I won't withdraw from columbia until I am waitlisted. (I did withdraw from Penn when I was waitlisted.)

charlie.black

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:07 pm

ifiknew wrote:I wonder how many people actually withdraw from schools in the T14 that they most likely will not go to before May. Am I alone in not having withdrawn anywhere at this point even though I know there's a small chance of me going to certain schools where I'm on the WL or have been accepted. I just want to be absolutely certain, so I can't bring myself to withdraw. I'm just thinking about this given the large number of people that seem to be on the "held" list at Columbia.

I have withdrawn from 4 of the t14...hth. 2 i was accepted. 1 was after i was invited to interview pre-admission. the last was before i had heard anything.

I guess i know my list and when higher options were locked in, the lower preferences became unnecessary. and i figured it might help some other kid out/better for the school to know.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:07 pm

drawstring wrote:So, what do I say in a LOCI if I have no new grades, awards, promotions, etc? Just something about loving Columbia?

Re-affirm your desire to attend. Tell them your goals after LS and why Columbia is uniquely suited to help you achieve them. Tell them what you bring to Columbia. And tell them how much you would love to go there and that they are at the top of your list.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 pm

charlie.black wrote:

I have withdrawn from 4 of the t14...hth. 2 i was accepted. 1 was after i was invited to interview pre-admission. the last was before i had heard anything.

I guess i know my list and when higher options were locked in, the lower preferences became unnecessary. and i figured it might help some other kid out/better for the school to know.

Are your parents paying for LS? Or did you already get full scholarships somewhere at your higher schools?
Last edited by lawschool22 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cesium

Postby cesium » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Wow, this thread has been going nuts today. I submitted my application 1/19 and I'm still waiting just to go "complete". At this rate, if I am eventually admitted, it'll be summer!

admiringatticus

Postby admiringatticus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I was sort of miffed at the subject of the email: "Columbia Law School Admissions Decision." FYI, Columbia, "held" is not an admissions decision.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:11 pm

"our decision is that we haven't made a decision"

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:12 pm

lawschool22 wrote:

Re-affirm your desire to attend. Tell them your goals after LS and why Columbia is uniquely suited to help you achieve them. Tell them what you bring to Columbia. And tell them how much you would love to go there and that they are at the top of your list.

Thanks.

I can really see how holding strong applicants could weed out those who aren't really excited about Columbia.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 pm

We're in the same boat (and I think a lot of others are as well).
Last edited by lastsamurai on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary

Postby Gary » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:

I would withdraw from any place that waitlisted me that wasn't harvard or stanford. I won't withdraw from columbia until I am waitlisted. (I did withdraw from Penn when I was waitlisted.)

???? Why? Have you gotten into Yale? Rubenstein? Srs question.

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm

cesium wrote:Wow, this thread has been going nuts today. I submitted my application 1/19 and I'm still waiting just to go "complete". At this rate, if I am eventually admitted, it'll be summer!

Submitted mine 1/13 and still pending. It's quite the wait!

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 pm

I haven't withdrawn due to both laziness and spite. Perhaps if I got word from a certain top six school I might be more inclined to snap into gear...

checkers

Postby checkers » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:26 pm

lastsamurai wrote:

We're in the same boat (and I think a lot of others are as well).

+1

Jessasaurus

Postby Jessasaurus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Gary wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:

Because I am happy with the places I've gotten into enough that I wouldn't wait on the waitlist except for HYS. Except for I didn't apply to Yale haha.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Went complete in December and still nothing. I'd take a rejection or hold at this point.

charlie.black

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:28 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
charlie.black wrote:

Are your parents paying for LS? Or did you already get full scholarships somewhere at your higher schools?

pmed

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:
Gary wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:

Because I am happy with the places I've gotten into enough that I wouldn't wait on the waitlist except for HYS. Except for I didn't apply to Yale haha.

Unless the $$ isn't an issue, I wouldn't recommend withdrawing. You can always use those other schools to help you in scholarship negotiation.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”