Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sah
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby sah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Well...this is pure speculation obviously, but you can get into H with numbers alone (above both medians) and Columbia probably has a limited number of Butlers and Hamiltons to give out. They realistically know that those with HYS numbers will at least get into H and, if Columbia has run out of Butlers and Hamiltons, they know that HYS admits won't choose Columbia with <50% scholarship over Harvard, so what would be the point.

User avatar
TheYesGuy
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby TheYesGuy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:54 pm

teampeeta wrote:I think some of these holds, especially for people with numbers over both medians, are Columbia's way of YP-ing. I bet they just think people who have those numbers will end up at HYS and are therefore reluctant to admit some of them. I don't know what differentiates them, at least on paper, from the people who've received Butlers and Hamiltons so far, though.


I would guess this too

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 pm

whippersnappery wrote:
Kobaine51 wrote:
whippersnappery wrote:I went complete mid-October, >75 GPA, >50 LSAT, and nothing-- not even a hold. Just radio silence.


This is where I am exactly. What's up yo?


Maybe someone spilled coffee on our applications or something...


+1

Complete late-November, radio silence; good responses from peer schools already. Essentially a de facto hold, but maybe CLS just "doesn't want to label this and just enjoy what we have without needing to label it." Because it could not have taken three-four months to open a PDF application and print it out and move your eyeballs over the words on the page.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:00 pm

sah wrote:Well...this is pure speculation obviously, but you can get into H with numbers alone (above both medians) and Columbia probably has a limited number of Butlers and Hamiltons to give out. They realistically know that those with HYS numbers will at least get into H and, if Columbia has run out of Butlers and Hamiltons, they know that HYS admits won't choose Columbia with <50% scholarship over Harvard, so what would be the point.
;

This was my point earlier. That odd grey area where you're qualified, but too expensive. (maybe?)

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jingosaur » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:00 pm

waferthinmint wrote:Complete late-November, radio silence; good responses from peer schools already. Essentially a de facto hold, but maybe CLS just "doesn't want to label this and just enjoy what we have without needing to label it." Because it could not have taken three-four months to open a PDF application and print it out and move your eyeballs over the words on the page.


But it does take three-four months for them to holistically move their eyeballs over the words on the page.

aena
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby aena » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:02 pm

OKAY.

Judging by how some candidates of the same numbers/complete dates were put on "hold" and some were on on "reserve," I can only conclude that columbia selected a random group of students from each of the number range to put on hold. Hold allows them to postpone making admissions decisions. They want to wait to see how the whole applicant pool for T-14 plays out, and they want to be prudent with the final decisions. Hence the holds we see for both below median AND above median kids.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 pm

jingosaur wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:Complete late-November, radio silence; good responses from peer schools already. Essentially a de facto hold, but maybe CLS just "doesn't want to label this and just enjoy what we have without needing to label it." Because it could not have taken three-four months to open a PDF application and print it out and move your eyeballs over the words on the page.


But it does take three-four months for them to holistically move their eyeballs over the words on the page.


HA nice. This brings to mind a pants-suited woman rolling her eyes crazily while burning the application over incense and whiffing the scent of its smoke as a shaman shakes a rain stick over her head.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 pm

aena wrote:OKAY.

Judging by how some candidates of the same numbers/complete dates were put on "hold" and some were on on "reserve," I can only conclude that columbia selected a random group of students from each of the number range to put on hold. Hold allows them to postpone making admissions decisions. They want to wait to see how the whole applicant pool for T-14 plays out, and they want to be prudent with the final decisions. Hence the holds for both below median AND above median kids.


Nothing is random. That would be foolish. Columbia adcomms are not fools.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:Complete late-November, radio silence; good responses from peer schools already. Essentially a de facto hold, but maybe CLS just "doesn't want to label this and just enjoy what we have without needing to label it." Because it could not have taken three-four months to open a PDF application and print it out and move your eyeballs over the words on the page.


But it does take three-four months for them to holistically move their eyeballs over the words on the page.


HA nice. This brings to mind a pants-suited woman rolling her eyes crazily while burning the application over incense and whiffing the scent of its smoke as a shaman shakes a rain stick over her head.


haha i enjoyed this visual. thank you.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:11 pm

charlie.black wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:Complete late-November, radio silence; good responses from peer schools already. Essentially a de facto hold, but maybe CLS just "doesn't want to label this and just enjoy what we have without needing to label it." Because it could not have taken three-four months to open a PDF application and print it out and move your eyeballs over the words on the page.


But it does take three-four months for them to holistically move their eyeballs over the words on the page.


HA nice. This brings to mind a pants-suited woman rolling her eyes crazily while burning the application over incense and whiffing the scent of its smoke as a shaman shakes a rain stick over her head.


haha i enjoyed this visual. thank you.


haha happy to help.

aena
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby aena » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:12 pm

charlie.black wrote:
aena wrote:OKAY.

Judging by how some candidates of the same numbers/complete dates were put on "hold" and some were on on "reserve," I can only conclude that columbia selected a random group of students from each of the number range to put on hold. Hold allows them to postpone making admissions decisions. They want to wait to see how the whole applicant pool for T-14 plays out, and they want to be prudent with the final decisions. Hence the holds for both below median AND above median kids.


Nothing is random. That would be foolish. Columbia adcomms are not fools.


Just trying to figure out how realistic it is to get off hold and whether writing an LOCI is truly worth it.

Do they actually even read the LOCI's? Especially given how Columbia waitlists pretty much everyone and they must get thousands of the letters saying pretty much the same thing. Like what substantial difference would a LOCI make(assuming no significant change in GPA, LSAT, and softs) unless you are a YP candidate?

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm

I don't think its random, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have a particularly good reason for doing it. I'm sure the decision to hold some people was basically a coin flip. My hope, and I think it is the only sensical way for them to do things, is that surviving the hold wave after being complete for months means we'll hear something from them by this time next week. The only advantage they get from these holds seems to be incidental YP from people they didn't mark out for Butlers/Hammys, which, again, has probably reached coin flip status at this point. It would be helpful for both parties, though, if they included a line in the email about what this means for those relying on scholarships...

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:29 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:I don't think its random, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have a particularly good reason for doing it. I'm sure the decision to hold some people was basically a coin flip. My hope, and I think it is the only sensical way for them to do things, is that surviving the hold wave after being complete for months means we'll hear something from them by this time next week. The only advantage they get from these holds seems to be incidental YP from people they didn't mark out for Butlers/Hammys, which, again, has probably reached coin flip status at this point. It would be helpful for both parties, though, if they included a line in the email about what this means for those relying on scholarships...


Is there a large dose of blunt luck in law school admissions? Yes.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby fivestarfolds » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Held today. Not surprised.

non URM Hispanic
Last edited by fivestarfolds on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:48 pm

So is the wave over? Was it a mass email (right around 11 AM EST), or have they been going out steadily?

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Held with a 4.1+/173

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:54 pm

I hate Columbia this cycle
Last edited by drawstring on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhcrobert
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby zhcrobert » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:55 pm

drawstring wrote:Held with a 4.1+/173

it's crazy

lakers180
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lakers180 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:56 pm

drawstring wrote:Held with a 4.1+/173


what thats insane

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby neprep » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:58 pm

drawstring wrote:Held with a 4.1+/173

:shock:
Well, I guess is this image is in order once again…


Image

Pau.C.
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Pau.C. » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:00 pm

.
Last edited by Pau.C. on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:00 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 pm

drawstring wrote:Held with a 4.1+/173


blows my mind. sorry draw :(

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:12 pm

charlie.black wrote:
drawstring wrote:Held with a 4.1+/173


blows my mind. sorry draw :(


FuriousDuck wrote:
drawstring wrote:Held with a 4.1+/173


Dammit... I was following this thread hoping that you'd get an acceptance. I still think they'll eventually accept you. For what it's worth, I'm buying the "Columbia is procrastinating" theory.


Thanks a bunch guys. It made me quite worried that I totally effed up my apps given how long I've waited on HLS and now this at a school where I have practically 100% chances according to mylsn, but seeing so many other strong applicants with the same news makes me a bit less worried. I have no clue wth Columbia is doing this cycle, and can they really afford this given their drop in apps and medians?

User avatar
Pishee77
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Pishee77 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:19 pm

So is the consensus that held is a good or bad sign? Is the acceptance/waitlist from held 50/50 or more waitlists?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, christinaxcarrie, dojodawg, elcamino4, Guyver, Keilz, Leliana, lvlaw3, mccracal, patrickkpaul, sonyco, stewhan, thg1870 and 46 guests