Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:40 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Is this coming in e-mails? I still haven't gotten anything. Went complete 1/6.


Emails. Mines came a little before 11 EST

Pau.C.
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Pau.C. » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Held.

Complete since November.

Wow... This cycle is getting crazier and crazier.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2222
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jingosaur » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Interesting. Maybe us stragglers had some sort of letter sent out that hasn't made it to our mail yet? #wishfulthinking

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:50 pm

jingosaur wrote:Interesting. Maybe us stragglers had some sort of letter sent out that hasn't made it to our mail yet? #wishfulthinking

Let's hope. #hangingbyathread

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Joining the "Hold" train.

>50th GPA, >75th LSAT

Complete early November.

Very curious about how this will effect scholarship consideration.

User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby residentemma » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:56 pm

paglababa wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Is this coming in e-mails? I still haven't gotten anything. Went complete 1/6.


Emails. Mines came a little before 11 EST


jingo I went complete on 1/6 as well and I haven't heard anything

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:00 pm

jingosaur wrote:Interesting. Maybe us stragglers had some sort of letter sent out that hasn't made it to our mail yet? #wishfulthinking

on the 19th some people got emailed acceptances and two days later there's this massive wave of holds, so maybe there are some blue envelopes in the mix that got mailed as well. Holds don't really mean anything except they can't decide what to do yet, as far as I can tell, so if they don't tell you you're held it seems like it means they've committed to some kind of a decision. That being said, I'm waiting until close of business until I start feeling optimism just in case this is a slow, painful trickle they've planned. Don't want to get suckerpunched at 4:30 by a Columbia email. I don't think people should take it too hard, especially if they're above the medians...it's better than a wait list and people have reported coming back with Butlers.

User avatar
whippersnappery
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whippersnappery » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:05 pm

residentemma wrote:
paglababa wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Is this coming in e-mails? I still haven't gotten anything. Went complete 1/6.


Emails. Mines came a little before 11 EST


jingo I went complete on 1/6 as well and I haven't heard anything


I went complete mid-October, >75 GPA, >50 LSAT, and nothing-- not even a hold. Just radio silence.

User avatar
Kobaine51
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Kobaine51 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:07 pm

whippersnappery wrote:I went complete mid-October, >75 GPA, >50 LSAT, and nothing-- not even a hold. Just radio silence.


This is where I am exactly. What's up yo?

User avatar
whippersnappery
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whippersnappery » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Kobaine51 wrote:
whippersnappery wrote:I went complete mid-October, >75 GPA, >50 LSAT, and nothing-- not even a hold. Just radio silence.


This is where I am exactly. What's up yo?


Maybe someone spilled coffee on our applications or something...

Samsing
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Samsing » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Held as well. GPA > 75% and LSAT < 50%. I wish they would just give me a decision. Sorry to all of those who had it as a first choice.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Wow...what a weird turn of events. I have no clue what Columbia is doing. People who are held - at least you're among good company? Hopefully good news comes your way soon!

For those of us still waiting - I wonder what this means. But seeing jingo, specs, charlie, and T-14 still around makes me think it can't be bad for all of us.

The next few weeks should be interesting.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2343
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Slytherpuff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Really hoping for a "held" email now. Hoping that I'm not an auto-ding (since I'm WL material at best)!

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Well, submitted my LOCI...here's to hoping for the best :?

jannah77
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jannah77 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:25 pm

..
Last edited by jannah77 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:26 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Wow...what a weird turn of events. I have no clue what Columbia is doing. People who are held - at least you're among good company? Hopefully good news comes your way soon!

For those of us still waiting - I wonder what this means. But seeing jingo, specs, charlie, and T-14 still around makes me think it can't be bad for all of us.

The next few weeks should be interesting.


I hope you're right. :)

blckwsl
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby blckwsl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:27 pm

residentemma wrote:Seems weird they're holding people above both 75ths... isn't Columbia supposed to be a numbers game?

Still waiting here, I think maybe Columbia forgot about my app :P


+1
Totally know how you feel. I keep checking my email (and spam).

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Joining the "Hold" train.

>50th GPA, >75th LSAT

Complete early November.

Very curious about how this will effect scholarship consideration.

I just looked through last years thread for people reporting late Butlers/Hammys...trying to distract myself. I didn't see anyone converting from held to merit scholarships. The latest forum reported scholarship was February 28th. Acceptance after hold seems like a distinct possibility. I guess this means they are making final Butler/Hammy determinations in the next week or so...

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm

I notice they didn't mention anything about LORs in the Hold letter, I wonder if they'd even look at it if I sent another one in along with the LOCI.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:32 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Joining the "Hold" train.

>50th GPA, >75th LSAT

Complete early November.

Very curious about how this will effect scholarship consideration.

I just looked through last years thread for people reporting late Butlers/Hammys...trying to distract myself. I didn't see anyone converting from held to merit scholarships. The latest forum reported scholarship was February 28th. Acceptance after hold seems like a distinct possibility. I guess this means they are making final Butler/Hammy determinations in the next week or so...


why give out holds a week before then?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Still standing. Which surprises me given the numbers of people who have been held.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

paglababa wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Joining the "Hold" train.

>50th GPA, >75th LSAT

Complete early November.

Very curious about how this will effect scholarship consideration.

I just looked through last years thread for people reporting late Butlers/Hammys...trying to distract myself. I didn't see anyone converting from held to merit scholarships. The latest forum reported scholarship was February 28th. Acceptance after hold seems like a distinct possibility. I guess this means they are making final Butler/Hammy determinations in the next week or so...


why give out holds a week before then?

Dunno, according to LSN 2012-2013 there are a handful of march/april butlers, in particular a December 14th complete with a April 2nd Butler which may have been a hold.
ETA-eh, the 12/14 person is a little weird. I don't know what if LSN or TLS is a good sample either way.
Last edited by EquallyWrong on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aena
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby aena » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:43 pm

vuthy wrote:I had a long conversation w/ a (non-T14) dean of admissions yesterday, and the big takeaway was this: The decline in quality applicants is so substantial that everyone, with the possible exception of Yale, is doing things they never thought they'd have to do in order to seat a class that doesn't get them all fired. Yes, they knew it was coming, but they still can't believe how bad it really is. For applicants, what this means is (a) longer waiting times, but (b) increased likelihood of eventually -- like, maybe by the summer -- getting in to schools that should be out of their reach.


Has anyone noticed Columbia/other schools doing something noticeably different from last year's admissions process? Do this year's holds look different from last year's?

User avatar
teampeeta
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby teampeeta » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:46 pm

I think some of these holds, especially for people with numbers over both medians, are Columbia's way of YP-ing. I bet they just think people who have those numbers will end up at HYS and are therefore reluctant to admit some of them. I don't know what differentiates them, at least on paper, from the people who've received Butlers and Hamiltons so far, though.

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby admiringatticus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Held today as well. I don't think my stats are good enough for YP.

GPA >4.0, LSAT=median

I already wrote a WhyX so don't know what else to cover in my LOCI...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”