Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dcpanther
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby dcpanther » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 am

.
Last edited by dcpanther on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 am

Also, THIS

This year's applicant pool, in keeping with recent years, promises to be among the largest and most

highly qualified in our history.



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is some grade-A bullshit.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Officially scared...

If I see that (1) in my gmail tab I may just shut my computer off.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Above both medians. Held. Strong softs. Was not expecting this wtf?

"While we cannot speculate as to the final outcome of your candidacy, we wish to inform
you that yours is one of a select group of applicants placed on Hold and that you will be given
every possible consideration as the season continues. Consistent with our admissions protocol,
some applicants may ultimately be offered admission, some will be placed on Reserve, and
others will be informed that their applications for admission have been denied.
In the interim, if you wish to submit a letter of continued interest, kindly do so by March
28, 2014. However, if during this time you decide that you no longer wish to be considered for
admission to Columbia Law School, kindly notify us by contacting Danielle Flores at
danielle.flores@law.columbia.edu. Please be advised that you will receive a decision from the
Committee no later than April 25, 2014"

Should I send a letter of continued interest? Do held - accepted applicants get money when accepted? If not, I might just withdraw.

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:04 pm

paglababa wrote:Above both medians. Held. Strong softs. Was not expecting this wtf?

"While we cannot speculate as to the final outcome of your candidacy, we wish to inform
you that yours is one of a select group of applicants placed on Hold and that you will be given
every possible consideration as the season continues. Consistent with our admissions protocol,
some applicants may ultimately be offered admission, some will be placed on Reserve, and
others will be informed that their applications for admission have been denied.
In the interim, if you wish to submit a letter of continued interest, kindly do so by March
28, 2014. However, if during this time you decide that you no longer wish to be considered for
admission to Columbia Law School, kindly notify us by contacting Danielle Flores at
danielle.flores@law.columbia.edu. Please be advised that you will receive a decision from the
Committee no later than April 25, 2014"

Should I send a letter of continued interest? Do held - accepted applicants get money when accepted? If not, I might just withdraw.


Above both 75ths and in the same boat. If I won't get money from Columbia, then that does it for me.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:05 pm

paglababa wrote: Do held - accepted applicants get money when accepted? If not, I might just withdraw.


This. Columbia at sticker is insanely scary.

Also, do we know how many "holds" usually get in?

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 pm

I think I'm going to withdraw. I would need atleast 75k to consider it and seeing how I didn't even get an outright acceptance, I doubt this will happen.

Edit: I wish they gave me a solid answer, instead of this silly limbo.

Chekhov'sGun
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Chekhov'sGun » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:08 pm

dcpanther wrote:Me too. Has being held at Columbia historically been just a delayed WL/reject?


+1 Would love to hear some insight on this. Will be sending a LOCI for sure either way though.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Columbus's approach this year is blowing me away. Waitlisting applicants above both 75ths? Since when does Columbia YP? I haven't received a hold email yet put I guess it is only a matter of time now.

User avatar
Lightworks
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Lightworks » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Also held. 75th LSAT, <50th GPA. Complete ~1/15.

Can't say I didn't expect this. Are there any stats on Held applicants?
Last edited by Lightworks on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 pm

The-Specs wrote:Columbus's approach this year is blowing me away. Waitlisting applicants above both 75ths? Since when does Columbia YP? I haven't received a hold email yet put I guess it is only a matter of time now.


Yea I'm speechless. I was under the impression Columbia and NYU are essential auto admits with the right numbers and no glaring application issues. This blows my mind. I thought the number of LSAT takers and applicants also decreased this year? what gives.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Did a quick scan of last year's thread. It looks like a pretty even mix of hold---> admit and hold----> reserve. Didn't see any hold---> dings though.

It may have just been my own person bias, but it seemed like earlier (before mid-march) holds had a better chance of being admits?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby subtle » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Held --> Accepted applicants have received money in the past, but they don't necessarily. I don't think it's infrequent, but I also don't think you should count on it. The year I applied, a group of people whose applications were so strong (high numbers, great softs, great UGs, some URMs) that they should never have been held were later accepted with Butlers.
Last edited by subtle on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:15 pm

The-Specs wrote:Columbus's approach this year is blowing me away. Waitlisting applicants above both 75ths? Since when does Columbia YP? I haven't received a hold email yet put I guess it is only a matter of time now.

+1
Looks like today is going to be an emotional roller coaster ride. Must say, I am a little disappointed in them if this is indeed what they've decided to do.

User avatar
vuthy
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby vuthy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:15 pm

The-Specs wrote:Columbus's approach this year is blowing me away. Waitlisting applicants above both 75ths? Since when does Columbia YP? I haven't received a hold email yet put I guess it is only a matter of time now.


I had a long conversation w/ a (non-T14) dean of admissions yesterday, and the big takeaway was this: The decline in quality applicants is so substantial that everyone, with the possible exception of Yale, is doing things they never thought they'd have to do in order to seat a class that doesn't get them all fired. Yes, they knew it was coming, but they still can't believe how bad it really is. For applicants, what this means is (a) longer waiting times, but (b) increased likelihood of eventually -- like, maybe by the summer -- getting in to schools that should be out of their reach.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:16 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Did a quick scan of last year's thread. It looks like a pretty even mix of hold---> admit and hold----> reserve. Didn't see any hold---> dings though.

It may have just been my own person bias, but it seemed like earlier (before mid-march) holds had a better chance of being admits?


See anything about money? Or if those people sent in LOCI?

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:16 pm

subtle wrote:Held --> Accepted applicants have received money in the past, but they don't necessarily. I don't think it's infrequent, but I also don't think you should count on it. The year I applied, a group of people whose applications were so strong (high numbers, great softs, great UGs, some URMs) that they should never have been held were later accepted with Butlers.


Thanks, this is interesting. I guess it's time to send in that letter of continued interest.

User avatar
Plainsman11011
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Plainsman11011 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Held, also above both 75ths. Was honestly not expecting this... Sorry to all the other holds out there.

User avatar
Lightworks
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Lightworks » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Worth sending an LOCI right after being held? I know they aren't big fans of 'Why Columbia?' essays.

lakers180
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lakers180 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm

sorry to all those held, but really all it means is that you have to wait a little longer. you all still got a good chance, especially with those really high numbers

what were the complete dates for those held in today's wave?

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm

paglababa wrote:
subtle wrote:Held --> Accepted applicants have received money in the past, but they don't necessarily. I don't think it's infrequent, but I also don't think you should count on it. The year I applied, a group of people whose applications were so strong (high numbers, great softs, great UGs, some URMs) that they should never have been held were later accepted with Butlers.


Thanks, this is interesting. I guess it's time to send in that letter of continued interest.


+1

But I am still shocked at this decision. I've only been complete since 1/23 :?

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:21 pm

is this a sort of "you're strong enough for HYS, but we don't want to pay to pull you away" sort of yield protect? :?

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 pm

LSN only turned up one hold-admit :( BUT if this:

vuthy wrote:I had a long conversation w/ a (non-T14) dean of admissions yesterday, and the big takeaway was this: The decline in quality applicants is so substantial that everyone, with the possible exception of Yale, is doing things they never thought they'd have to do in order to seat a class that doesn't get them all fired. Yes, they knew it was coming, but they still can't believe how bad it really is. For applicants, what this means is (a) longer waiting times, but (b) increased likelihood of eventually -- like, maybe by the summer -- getting in to schools that should be out of their reach.


is accurate, previous years might not provide a reliable precedent.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 pm

lakers180 wrote:sorry to all those held, but really all it means is that you have to wait a little longer. you all still got a good chance, especially with those really high numbers

what were the complete dates for those held in today's wave?


I've been complete since the end of November.
I'm not going to write a 'why columbia' essay but I will send an email expressing my continued interest in Columbia. I'll also probably attach an updated resume to reflect job movement / promotions that occured in between. Best of luck to everyone.

User avatar
OMAR_COMIN_YO
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Held as well. Below LSAT median, above 25th GPA.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”