Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gbelle » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 pm

worried0L wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:
neprep wrote:
BrianG wrote:
My bad, yea, the letter itself was in a pdf, but the subject of the e-mail was 'Admit' so it took a little of the fun out of opening it lol.


Okay so this puts the "Columbia only does snail mail" theory to rest for this cycle. Which is sad because I miss the good old days.


Columbia only does this for ED, holds, and waitlists. All RD acceptances are snail mail.


does columbia waitlist ED without holding them? when can we expect holds?


I was not-so-triumphantly held last spring. Only to be waitlisted. Not all candidates are held prior to winning a spot on the waitlist.

Robert_Bert
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Robert_Bert » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?

BrianG
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BrianG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?


Looks like not:
2005-2006: December 1st
2006-2007: December 4th
2007-2008: November 28th
2008-2009: November 26th/December 5th
2009-2010: December 1st
2010-2011: November 30th
2011-2012: December 5th
2012-2013: December 3rd

^someone compiled that on the 2016 applicant thread.

also serious question: do we think Rachel Zane from Suits is a class of 2017 too?

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby 04102014 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 pm

BrianG wrote:
Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?


Looks like not:
2005-2006: December 1st
2006-2007: December 4th
2007-2008: November 28th
2008-2009: November 26th/December 5th
2009-2010: December 1st
2010-2011: November 30th
2011-2012: December 5th
2012-2013: December 3rd

^someone compiled that on the 2016 applicant thread.

also serious question: do we think Rachel Zane from Suits is a class of 2017 too?


BrianG, did you go to Columbia for undergrad?

worried0L
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby worried0L » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 pm

BrianG wrote:
Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?


Looks like not:
2005-2006: December 1st
2006-2007: December 4th
2007-2008: November 28th
2008-2009: November 26th/December 5th
2009-2010: December 1st
2010-2011: November 30th
2011-2012: December 5th
2012-2013: December 3rd

^someone compiled that on the 2016 applicant thread.

also serious question: do we think Rachel Zane from Suits is a class of 2017 too?


wow this is the fastest ever.

BrianG
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BrianG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:20 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
BrianG wrote:
Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?


Looks like not:
2005-2006: December 1st
2006-2007: December 4th
2007-2008: November 28th
2008-2009: November 26th/December 5th
2009-2010: December 1st
2010-2011: November 30th
2011-2012: December 5th
2012-2013: December 3rd

^someone compiled that on the 2016 applicant thread.

also serious question: do we think Rachel Zane from Suits is a class of 2017 too?


BrianG, did you go to Columbia for undergrad?


nope, Dartmouth

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby 04102014 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:22 pm

BrianG wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:
BrianG wrote:
Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?


Looks like not:
2005-2006: December 1st
2006-2007: December 4th
2007-2008: November 28th
2008-2009: November 26th/December 5th
2009-2010: December 1st
2010-2011: November 30th
2011-2012: December 5th
2012-2013: December 3rd

^someone compiled that on the 2016 applicant thread.

also serious question: do we think Rachel Zane from Suits is a class of 2017 too?


BrianG, did you go to Columbia for undergrad?


nope, Dartmouth


I'm running out of theories. Are you cute?

Robert_Bert
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Robert_Bert » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm running out of theories. Are you cute?[/quote]

wondering if this is the start of the first wave of ED admits, or a one-off...any other EDers hear back?

worried0L
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby worried0L » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Robert_Bert wrote:I'm running out of theories. Are you cute?


wondering if this is the start of the first wave of ED admits, or a one-off...any other EDers hear back?[/quote]


radio silence.

jannah77
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jannah77 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Just finished applying about two weeks ago and went into queue for review last night.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:13 pm

worried0L wrote:
BrianG wrote:
Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?


Looks like not:
2005-2006: December 1st
2006-2007: December 4th
2007-2008: November 28th
2008-2009: November 26th/December 5th
2009-2010: December 1st
2010-2011: November 30th
2011-2012: December 5th
2012-2013: December 3rd

^someone compiled that on the 2016 applicant thread.

also serious question: do we think Rachel Zane from Suits is a class of 2017 too?


wow this is the fastest ever.


I'm just going to keep repeating, until the universe hears me, that this BODES WELL FOR THIS CYCLE. Unless BrianG is a wild, galloping troll.

worried0L
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby worried0L » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
worried0L wrote:
BrianG wrote:
Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats Brian G!!! Now my day has gotten infinitely more anxious.

has Columbia ever released ED decisions this early in the recent past?


Looks like not:
2005-2006: December 1st
2006-2007: December 4th
2007-2008: November 28th
2008-2009: November 26th/December 5th
2009-2010: December 1st
2010-2011: November 30th
2011-2012: December 5th
2012-2013: December 3rd

^someone compiled that on the 2016 applicant thread.

also serious question: do we think Rachel Zane from Suits is a class of 2017 too?


wow this is the fastest ever.


I'm just going to keep repeating, until the universe hears me, that this BODES WELL FOR THIS CYCLE. Unless BrianG is a wild, galloping troll.


he was at both medians though. with a ED + ivy ug he's practically auto-admit.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:37 pm

But the speed of the decision, regardless of his perfect qualifications, speaks to a haste built on desperation.

Trust me, they've had 100 candidates exactly like Brian G for each of the years listed. And they still made them wait a week (at least) longer than BrianG did.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 pm

jannah77 wrote:Just finished applying about two weeks ago and went into queue for review last night.


I didn't think that anyone went "under review" at columbia, only complete and then a decision.

BrianG
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BrianG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:31 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:But the speed of the decision, regardless of his perfect qualifications, speaks to a haste built on desperation.

Trust me, they've had 100 candidates exactly like Brian G for each of the years listed. And they still made them wait a week (at least) longer than BrianG did.


promise i'm not a galloping troll lol, i imagine you're probably right to some extent at least. perhaps they just have an unusually small ED pool this year and could get decisions out sooner? I'm guessing, given the state of things, less ppl would be willing to do ED. i probably shouldn't have done it myself. no regrets tho :)

also, now i'm getting mini-panic attacks sending in app withdrawals...what if i'm being trolled O_o
Last edited by BrianG on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

orangec90
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby orangec90 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Just checked LSN. Other people have also reported acceptances (ED).

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

The-Specs wrote:
jannah77 wrote:Just finished applying about two weeks ago and went into queue for review last night.


I didn't think that anyone went "under review" at columbia, only complete and then a decision.

is this true? if so could you post it here?

tortellini
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby tortellini » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:04 am

BrianG wrote:umm so I just got accepted....

gonna be awful hard to get through finals right now

stats again, for ppl wondering (hopefully last time ever having to write this)

171/3.73 Ivy, LGBT diversity statement, ED obvi


See you there BrianG, I'm in too :)

Robert_Bert
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Robert_Bert » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 am

Congrats to everyone who's in!...hoping to join soon.

Does anyone know how many days the first "wave" of ED acceptances comes out over, typically. 3-5 days?

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby californiauser » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Robert_Bert wrote:Congrats to everyone who's in!...hoping to join soon.

Does anyone know how many days the first "wave" of ED acceptances comes out over, typically. 3-5 days?


Good question. Does anyone know how many ED applications Columbia usually receives, too?

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby 04102014 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:47 pm

As an EDer, I want something to happen today.

:|

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby chuckbass » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:48 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:As an EDer, I want something to happen today.

:|

Good luck bb :D

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gbelle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:As an EDer, I want something to happen today.

:|


Seriously. Think happy thoughts!

worried0L
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby worried0L » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:As an EDer, I want something to happen today.

:|



i think they did auto-admits yesterday, now its basically holds. please prove me wrong.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:06 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:As an EDer, I want something to happen today.

:|


Image




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests