Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:02 pm

jingosaur wrote:Do you guys thing there can be another big wave of acceptances next week I feel like a lot of us who should be getting in haven't gotten in yet.

The bolded is the only thing keeping me from freaking out.

User avatar
buffalo_
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby buffalo_ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:05 pm

buffalo_ wrote:I am still in Completion Pending.

I submitted on 1/16 and I got a notice on 1/17 that said "Initial Application Components Received."

It says to give 2 weeks for completion. It has now been 3 weeks. Should I contact the admissions office or wait longer?


bump

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby koalacity » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:07 pm

buffalo_ wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:I am still in Completion Pending.

I submitted on 1/16 and I got a notice on 1/17 that said "Initial Application Components Received."

It says to give 2 weeks for completion. It has now been 3 weeks. Should I contact the admissions office or wait longer?


bump

Wait. It's taken many people up to (or over) a month to go complete.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:08 pm

buffalo_ wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:I am still in Completion Pending.

I submitted on 1/16 and I got a notice on 1/17 that said "Initial Application Components Received."

It says to give 2 weeks for completion. It has now been 3 weeks. Should I contact the admissions office or wait longer?


bump

1: You need to be more patient. For example, wait more than 12 minutes before bumping your own post.
2: For another example, it hasn't been three weeks. Columbia takes forever. Just chill.

User avatar
buffalo_
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby buffalo_ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:22 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:I am still in Completion Pending.

I submitted on 1/16 and I got a notice on 1/17 that said "Initial Application Components Received."

It says to give 2 weeks for completion. It has now been 3 weeks. Should I contact the admissions office or wait longer?


bump

1: You need to be more patient. For example, wait more than 12 minutes before bumping your own post.
2: For another example, it hasn't been three weeks. Columbia takes forever. Just chill.


I only bumped because there were a lot of posts quoting a post after mine and the page wrapped. I was worried I would get buried.

My apologies Jenna.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Nothing in the mailbox. Always a bridesmaid...
If nobody has a february postmark to report I'd say I missed the wave.
Given that the interviewees last week were promised a decision in two weeks, this might be the timeline for those left out in the cold as well...I say this as a November person above both 75ths.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:50 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:Nothing in the mailbox. Always a bridesmaid...
If nobody has a february postmark to report I'd say I missed the wave.
Given that the interviewees last week were promised a decision in two weeks, this might be the timeline for those left out in the cold as well...I say this as a November person above both 75ths.


I was thinking the same thing. Though I'm curious by what metric they decided who to send out in the first wave and who to save for the next. Then again, we still don't really know what metric they used to decide who to interview.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm

I mean they can't be getting so picky that they can afford to reject/waitlist all these median to above median candidates, can they? They have a big class size and applications dropped 12 percent there last cycle.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:Nothing in the mailbox. Always a bridesmaid...
If nobody has a february postmark to report I'd say I missed the wave.
Given that the interviewees last week were promised a decision in two weeks, this might be the timeline for those left out in the cold as well...I say this as a November person above both 75ths.


I was thinking the same thing. Though I'm curious by what metric they decided who to send out in the first wave and who to save for the next. Then again, we still don't really know what metric they used to decide who to interview.

I think it's based on whether or not you annoyed them in your personal statement.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:54 pm

[quote="EquallyWrong"]Nothing in the mailbox. Always a bridesmaid...
If nobody has a february postmark to report I'd say I missed the wave.
Given that the interviewees last week were promised a decision in two weeks, this might be the timeline for those left out in the cold as well...I say this as a November person above both 75ths.[/quote]

We don't really know what the interview means yet, and perhaps this is wishful thinking, but could it be that Columbia is trying to feel out the % of people that are accepting the Butler and Hamilton offers before releasing decisions to some of the people with stats like that?

There are plenty of us near, at, or above both 75ths who have not yet heard yet, and are likely not in the initial wave. Since CLS releases Butlers and Hamiltons with the initial acceptance (with very rare occasions later, and mostly anecdotal evidence of that), could it be they are waiting to see how many scholarships can be offered, based on who takes the scholarships and who decides to go HYS? Perhaps there isn't much evidence of that happening in the past (I don't know, tbh), but this cycle is not like past cycles.

Many of the people who got Hamiltons or Butlers have stats above mine, but I am still above the 75ths. I wonder if we will be the scholarship second wave.

I think there's a chance my theory is correct, and probably an equal chance that the CLS Admissions Staff is reading this and laughing at the absurdity. I just don't know. But I don't see other explanations, tbh, of why some people with very high stats and a demonstrated interest in CLS would not have heard in the first wave.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm all for baseless theories that make me feel better.
No doubt they're in the process of devising a new super scholarship that pays you 1.5 times the price of tuition that they will be giving out later in the month.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:15 pm

dem Columbia Rubies :lol:

anubis1911
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby anubis1911 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:40 pm

I received an interview request... :(

jk I'm glad I get an opportunity to expand on my application

User avatar
Synch
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Synch » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:40 pm

IN!!!!

Oh man that feels good - and with the exception of Penn/Berkeley (which are doubtful) that ends my cycle. PM for stats - postmarked on 1/31.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Synch wrote:IN!!!!

Oh man that feels good - and with the exception of Penn/Berkeley (which are doubtful) that ends my cycle. PM for stats - postmarked on 1/31.


Congrats!!! Also, your tar = awwwesome :lol:

User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby residentemma » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:52 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Do you guys thing there can be another big wave of acceptances next week I feel like a lot of us who should be getting in haven't gotten in yet.

The bolded is the only thing keeping me from freaking out.


I don't think we need to be freaking out just yet. We know that there were letters postmarked anywhere from 1/24 to 1/31, and we also know they are coming via USPS. There are a lot of variables right there :P

All human wisdom is contained in these words: Wait and hope!

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kershka » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:I'm all for baseless theories that make me feel better.
No doubt they're in the process of devising a new super scholarship that pays you 1.5 times the price of tuition that they will be giving out later in the month.

This is my new favorite theory :D

And congrats to all the new admits!

aliciaflorrick
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby aliciaflorrick » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:26 pm

.
Last edited by aliciaflorrick on Tue May 19, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 pm

aliciaflorrick wrote:LONG time lurker here. Shocked, excited, and honored to report: IN! Postmarked 1/28.

LSAT 169
25th < GPA < 75th %tile.


Congratulations!!!! Wow, it took that letter a week to get to you?! Where are you located?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 pm

aliciaflorrick wrote:LONG time lurker here. Shocked, excited, and honored to report: IN! Postmarked 1/28.

LSAT 169
25th < GPA < 75th %tile.


I'm confused, are you trying to say your GPA is at the median? Congrats!

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:54 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
aliciaflorrick wrote:LONG time lurker here. Shocked, excited, and honored to report: IN! Postmarked 1/28.

LSAT 169
25th < GPA < 75th %tile.


I'm confused, are you trying to say your GPA is at the median? Congrats!


Lol, somewhere between the 25th and 75th. Which doesn't really clear anything up. Either way, congrats!

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:07 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
aliciaflorrick wrote:LONG time lurker here. Shocked, excited, and honored to report: IN! Postmarked 1/28.

LSAT 169
25th < GPA < 75th %tile.


Congratulations!!!! Wow, it took that letter a week to get to you?! Where are you located?


Congrats!

Curious on general location as well.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby angels2fly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 pm

aliciaflorrick wrote:LONG time lurker here. Shocked, excited, and honored to report: IN! Postmarked 1/28.

LSAT 169
25th < GPA < 75th %tile.


congradulations!!!

aliciaflorrick
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby aliciaflorrick » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm

.
Last edited by aliciaflorrick on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thewaves
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby thewaves » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
aliciaflorrick wrote:LONG time lurker here. Shocked, excited, and honored to report: IN! Postmarked 1/28.

LSAT 169
25th < GPA < 75th %tile.


Congratulations!!!! Wow, it took that letter a week to get to you?! Where are you located?


Congrats!

Curious on general location as well.


Not the original poster, but it took a week to reach me as well, and I'm in California.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Bing [Bot], ellielaw, nimbus cloud, potterotter and 12 guests