Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
waferthinmint

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 pm

gbelle wrote:
Based on my own anecdotal experience, I would agree with this. The highly competitive, non collegial atmosphere is one reason why I chose to Ed at nyu this cycle. Despite being a Columbia alumn.

Woohoo! I'm definitely leaning heavily toward NYU as well!!! :fistbump:
Edited: had a followup question here but don't want this thread to get too off-track, so, deleted.
Last edited by waferthinmint on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:35 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
gbelle wrote:
Based on my own anecdotal experience, I would agree with this. The highly competitive, non collegial atmosphere is one reason why I chose to Ed at nyu this cycle. Despite being a Columbia alumn.

Would you say that atmosphere is confined to the Law School, or was also true of the undergrad experience?

I'll pm you for details about CLS

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:35 pm

gbelle wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
gbelle wrote:

Would you say that atmosphere is confined to the Law School, or was also true of the undergrad experience?

Sounds good!

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:38 pm

waferthinmint wrote:So over the weekend, I came across this great Youtube channel that has student interviews at each top law school, and it has sort of made me fall out of love with Columbia.

First off, the Columbia students just did not win me over as compared to, really, any of the other Top 10 schools that I watched; really seemed to confirm the reports I'd been hearing of CLS being a cold school, uber competitive, and entitled. In addition, they seem deeply unhappy...: http://youtu.be/B7DvvxOtOOY

Then, there was a remark in the Penn vid from a girl who'd been at Columbia for undergrad but decided not to return for law school because her friend who was at CLS was really miserable and hadn't made any friends, and other CLS students she talked to just could not wait to get out of there.

:shock:

Just wanted to share this with y'all, perhaps it will help grant some perspective amid the craziness of this first wave.

I mean, they interview 4 people... that's hardly very representative.
Last edited by Theopliske8711 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:38 pm

gbelle wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
gbelle wrote:

Can you send along to me as well? Thanks!

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 pm

waferthinmint wrote:So over the weekend, I came across this great Youtube channel that has student interviews at each top law school, and it has sort of made me fall out of love with Columbia.

First off, the Columbia students just did not win me over as compared to, really, any of the other Top 10 schools that I watched; really seemed to confirm the reports I'd been hearing of CLS being a cold school, uber competitive, and entitled. In addition, they seem deeply unhappy...: http://youtu.be/B7DvvxOtOOY

Then, there was a remark in the Penn vid from a girl who'd been at Columbia for undergrad but decided not to return for law school because her friend who was at CLS was really miserable and hadn't made any friends, and other CLS students she talked to just could not wait to get out of there.

Just wanted to share this with y'all, perhaps it will help grant some perspective amid the craziness of this first wave.

Really interesting youtube channel. Thanks.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:45 pm

JWP1022 wrote:
gbelle wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
gbelle wrote:

Done and done

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:56 pm

JWP1022 wrote:
gbelle wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
gbelle wrote:

+1 please and thank you.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Another day, another blue-envelope-less mailbox :(

t14splitter

Postby t14splitter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:16 pm

JWP1022 wrote:
gbelle wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
gbelle wrote:

+1 please and thank you.

+1. Thanks. You're a nice person.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm

koalacity wrote:Another day, another blue-envelope-less mailbox :(

:(

I think you're just going to be in the next wave.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm

When did you go complete Koala?

China Spy

Postby China Spy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks for linking the video, I'll have to check out the channel later today.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Just checked, I got a 1/8 complete date. When should the next wave be? I'm guessing I'm too late to be considered this wave.

Edit: Nevermind, first and only really big wave was this one.
Last edited by patfeeney on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:

I mean, they interview 3 people... that's hardly very representative.

Interesting that the 4 random people they picked from columbia confirmed the stereotypes that I've been reading around TLS though. I also watched parts for the other schools that I'm very seriously considering, and they were all much more upbeat and positive. Regardless, I'll hopefully be able to make my own judgment at ASW (if the blue envelope ever comes!)

kershka

Postby kershka » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Sorry Koala :( They're obviously just deciding how much money to give you and your amazing numbers.

Also, thanks for the youtube video, wafer; that was very interesting.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:37 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:

Interesting that the 4 random people they picked from columbia confirmed the stereotypes that I've been reading around TLS though. I also watched parts for the other schools that I'm very seriously considering, and they were all much more upbeat and positive. Regardless, I'll hopefully be able to make my own judgment at ASW (if the blue envelope ever comes!)

Yeah really, go watch the NYU video. Sort of surprising to see the contrast.

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:39 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:

Yeah really, go watch the NYU video. Sort of surprising to see the contrast.

My thoughts exactly; and the UChi one's actually got me thinking now that the winters might not be so bad there and that I might enjoy the folks there. Never in a million years did I think that would happen!

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:40 pm

kershka wrote:

Sorry Koala :( They're obviously just deciding how much money to give you and your amazing numbers.

Haha, I wish that were it :D .

Draw, I went complete 1/8 (so on the edge of this wave, but I think we've seen up to 1/9 or 1/10).

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:45 pm

kershka wrote:

No prob, glad to help! It's a great channel.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Cool video series. I think folks are reading a bit too much into the interviews though...

Perhaps some current CLSers could opine?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Cool video series. I think folks are reading a bit too much into the interviews though...

We definitely don't want to read into the videos too much. It's just interesting to see an additional data point in the general opinions of the culture differences among the schools.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Cool video series. I think folks are reading a bit too much into the interviews though...

What seems to be the problem? From a quick glance at the NYU and CLS videos the students seemed pretty similar. The CLS students in the video did seem a little lethargic, but again we're talking 4 people who were randomly interviewed during school one day. Hard to get much of a read from that. I will say that confirmation bias is a real thing though, so always be on the lookout.

I do have to take issue with the girl who said that she doesn't really have time to make friends because there is just so much reading. This is in part because she said that half of the people in law school are just hardcore grinders, while apparently not including herself in this group. I'd say that she either is a hardcore grinder or she is just not managing her time very effectively. Even during 1L, law school is about a 30 hour a week venture for much of the semester. One great thing about Columbia is that in the first semester of 1L you only have three graded classes and you'll have upwards of a week between each of your three finals, so they ease you in to the process as well as they possibly can. You're still on a curve and there will certainly be busy periods, but overall a lack of time is really never a problem, and there is plenty of opportunity to hang out with your classmates and do stuff completely unrelated to law school.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

What seems to be the problem? From a quick glance at the NYU and CLS videos the students seemed pretty similar. The CLS students in the video did seem a little lethargic, but again we're talking 4 people who were randomly interviewed during school one day. Hard to get much of a read from that. I will say that confirmation bias is a real thing though, so always be on the lookout.

This was my initial reaction as well. That's why I was a bit surprised at the comments ITT.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:35 pm

this pls. i feel worried

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”