Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby residentemma » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

OMG ITS HAPPENINGGGGGGG

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:41 pm

scoobers wrote:
:oops: I may have done both she is also a boomer so when she is inside she doesn't check her cell phone.


my parents are so boomerish they don't even use e-mail aside from when my dad bids on stuff on ebay with no intention of paying for it when he wins. Yup.....

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm

neprep wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:
Further away from Brooklyn


:( I don't get NYC borough humor yet...


It's not humor. It's baseless assumptions of the demographic that comprise BK versus UWS.

:roll: :roll: :roll:


Well thank you for that compelling assessment, AAJD2B. Having spent my entire life in the city, I think I'm quite qualified to judge which particular areas appeal to me and which do not, whether these judgements are based on "baseless assumptions of the demographic" or other factors that one might miss if one is too preoccupied with rolling one's eyes.


You are most welcome, neprep, but as any New Yorker would tell you, spending one's entire life does not equate to being qualified to judge "which particular areas appeal to me and which do not", unless you have visited or lived in every neighborhood of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Surely, a person of your esteemed character wouldn't be so quick to judge Canarsie, Mill Basin, Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, East NY, Bushwick, Midwood, Bed-Stuy, Fort Hamilton, Sunset Park, Starrett City, Bensonhurst, Coney Island and the countless of other neighborhoods that comprise BK without first visiting each and every one, would they?

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:44 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
neprep wrote:Further away from Brooklyn



I'd say Brooklyn is preferable to the Columbia area.


+10000

The ignorance in this thread.... :roll:


UWS ain't that bad. Williamsburg is cool if you're into that scene, Brooklyn heights has its neighborhoody moments, but I actually like morningside & the area just 30ish blocks south. Not sure I'd agree with the hate above.

Obviously the village is amazing, but who can afford to live there?


Also, big congrats to the recent admits.


There are affordable and subsidized apts in the village. It takes some digging though.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:45 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
scoobers wrote:
:oops: I may have done both she is also a boomer so when she is inside she doesn't check her cell phone.


my parents are so boomerish they don't even use e-mail aside from when my dad bids on stuff on ebay with no intention of paying for it when he wins. Yup.....


Haha. Boomerish. I like that.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
neprep wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
It's not humor. It's baseless assumptions of the demographic that comprise BK versus UWS.

:roll: :roll: :roll:


Well thank you for that compelling assessment, AAJD2B. Having spent my entire life in the city, I think I'm quite qualified to judge which particular areas appeal to me and which do not, whether these judgements are based on "baseless assumptions of the demographic" or other factors that one might miss if one is too preoccupied with rolling one's eyes.


You are most welcome, neprep, but as any New Yorker would tell you, spending one's entire life does not equate to being qualified to judge "which particular areas appeal to me and which do not", unless you have visited or lived in every neighborhood of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Surely, a person of your esteemed character wouldn't be so quick to judge Canarsie, Mill Basin, Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, East NY, Bushwick, Midwood, Bed-Stuy, Fort Hamilton, Sunset Park, Starrett City, Bensonhurst, Coney Island and the countless of other neighborhoods that comprise BK without first visiting each and every one, would they?


...or he could have walked through Brooklyn and just not found it as pretty as somewhere else. Or lived there, and found it way noisier than other places.

I didn't want to live on the south part of campus. I have never lived there. There are nicer dorms there. But I don't like how urban it compares to the northern part. Am I making a baseless assumption on what the southern part is like, or do I just not find it as appealing to my own interests?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:48 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
scoobers wrote:
:oops: I may have done both she is also a boomer so when she is inside she doesn't check her cell phone.


my parents are so boomerish they don't even use e-mail aside from when my dad bids on stuff on ebay with no intention of paying for it when he wins. Yup.....


Haha. Boomerish. I like that.


Dad is so boomerish he says I should choose Harvard over Yale because 'no one knows yale'

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Kimikho » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:49 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
scoobers wrote:
:oops: I may have done both she is also a boomer so when she is inside she doesn't check her cell phone.


my parents are so boomerish they don't even use e-mail aside from when my dad bids on stuff on ebay with no intention of paying for it when he wins. Yup.....


Haha. Boomerish. I like that.


Dad is so boomerish he says I should choose Harvard over Yale because 'no one knows yale'


:lol: :lol: :lol:
you win

User avatar
Gary
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Gary » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 pm

man i wish i had access to my mail before the end of this week... a hamilton or butler would probably end my cycle so i neeeed to check haha :?

User avatar
Gary
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Gary » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
scoobers wrote:
:oops: I may have done both she is also a boomer so when she is inside she doesn't check her cell phone.


my parents are so boomerish they don't even use e-mail aside from when my dad bids on stuff on ebay with no intention of paying for it when he wins. Yup.....


Haha. Boomerish. I like that.


Dad is so boomerish he says I should choose Harvard over Yale because 'no one knows yale'


looooooooooooooooool my family

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 pm

My parents think that it doesn't matter where I go to law school because I'll still have a JD and plenty of people who went to little known schools became successful. They actually think a TTT with no debt is a better option than YHS at close to sticker.

they be booming

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The-Specs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 pm

paglababa wrote:
neprep wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:IN

Received letter via mail (okay, maybe I was waiting for my mailman at the door).

Outside NYC, but very close.
Applied mid-November.
Slightly above both medians.


#NYULS2017 #CLS2017

:D


Why CLS over NYU? :D


Dat rigor. HTH

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 pm

drawstring wrote:My parents think that it doesn't matter where I go to law school because I'll still have a JD and plenty of people who went to little known schools became successful. They actually think a TTT with no debt is a better option than YHS at close to sticker.

they be booming


lmao :lol:

After telling my mom I would highly consider full schollies over HYS, she told me not to make a hasty decision and that I should go to the most prestigious place. I told her my decision was the opposite of hasty hahahah

edit: Just happened two weeks ago: Dad is so boomerish he paid for and downloaded one of those virus protection things you see in the ads that says they'll clean up your PC, but are really malware. He called me telling me that they wouldn't refund his money and that his laptop wasn't working.
Last edited by t-14orbust on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby paglababa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:56 pm

lol you guys are hilarious

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby neprep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:56 pm

AAJD2B wrote:You are most welcome, neprep, but as any New Yorker would tell you, spending one's entire life does not equate to being qualified to judge "which particular areas appeal to me and which do not", unless you have visited or lived in every neighborhood of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Surely, a person of your esteemed character wouldn't be so quick to judge Canarsie, Mill Basin, Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, East NY, Bushwick, Midwood, Bed-Stuy, Fort Hamilton, Sunset Park, Starrett City, Bensonhurst, Coney Island and the countless of other neighborhoods that comprise BK without first visiting each and every one, would they?


But, you see, a person of my esteemed character (which in this case refers to me) has judged "Canarsie, Mill Basin, Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, East NY, Bushwick, Midwood, Bed-Stuy, Fort Hamilton, Sunset Park, Starrett City, Bensonhurst, Coney Island and the countless of other neighborhoods that comprise BK" without "visiting each and every one." So you should really reassess your beliefs about people with esteemed characters. :lol:

(By the way that ":lol:" was totally sincere and not sarcastic. Will you befriend this white boy with pretty toes?)
Last edited by neprep on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
AuctionTheory
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AuctionTheory » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:57 pm

In via email at about 3 pm EST.
Congrats to all the other admits!
I will be posting stats on the spreadsheet.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
drawstring wrote:My parents think that it doesn't matter where I go to law school because I'll still have a JD and plenty of people who went to little known schools became successful. They actually think a TTT with no debt is a better option than YHS at close to sticker.

they be booming


lmao :lol:

After telling my mom I would highly consider full schollies over HYS, she told me not to make a hasty decision and that I should go to the most prestigious place. I told her my decision was the opposite of hasty hahahah

edit: Just happened two weeks ago: Dad is so boomerish he paid for and downloaded one of those virus protection things you see in the ads that says they'll clean up your PC, but are really malware. He called me telling me that they wouldn't refund his money and that his laptop wasn't working.


lol--one time a pop-up appeared for one of those online 'make $5000 a month working at home' deals. My mom saw it and told me that it was good that I was getting a job :lol:

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby drawstring » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

AuctionTheory wrote:In via email at about 3 pm EST.
Congrats to all the other admits!
I will be posting stats on the spreadsheet.


Congrats!!

international?

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby applelover » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:Grats to recent admits!!

Also, damn that random interview selection!

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby neprep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:04 pm

So it looks like no one ITT has received a Hamilton/Butler yet?

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:04 pm

scoobers wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
neprep wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
It's not humor. It's baseless assumptions of the demographic that comprise BK versus UWS.

:roll: :roll: :roll:


Well thank you for that compelling assessment, AAJD2B. Having spent my entire life in the city, I think I'm quite qualified to judge which particular areas appeal to me and which do not, whether these judgements are based on "baseless assumptions of the demographic" or other factors that one might miss if one is too preoccupied with rolling one's eyes.


You are most welcome, neprep, but as any New Yorker would tell you, spending one's entire life does not equate to being qualified to judge "which particular areas appeal to me and which do not", unless you have visited or lived in every neighborhood of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Surely, a person of your esteemed character wouldn't be so quick to judge Canarsie, Mill Basin, Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, East NY, Bushwick, Midwood, Bed-Stuy, Fort Hamilton, Sunset Park, Starrett City, Bensonhurst, Coney Island and the countless of other neighborhoods that comprise BK without first visiting each and every one, would they?


...or he could have walked through Brooklyn and just not found it as pretty as somewhere else. Or lived there, and found it way noisier than other places.

I didn't want to live on the south part of campus. I have never lived there. There are nicer dorms there. But I don't like how urban it compares to the northern part. Am I making a baseless assumption on what the southern part is like, or do I just not find it as appealing to my own interests?


Honey, you can't walk through BK. It's way too vast a county to do such.

Your scenario need not apply in this instance. Given the BK versus UWS comparison, both areas are urban. But neprep took it a step further to judge an entire borough versus that of a neighborhood in Manhattan.

....and even more hilarious is his statement of NYU being closer to BK. The closest BK neighborhood to NYU is a neighborhood of similar ilk to Morning Side. And he appears to forget the neighborhoods of TriBeCa and Greenwich Village (which is considered even more desirable to Morningside by NYC standards but apparently not by our in-house NYer neprep standards).

As a resident Brooklynite, I had no choice but to speak up. If folks want to start comparing a BOROUGH to a neighborhood in Manhattan, you better have visited or lived most of your life in said BOROUGH before talking about it "it's further from BK".

/BK-do-or-die rant.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:04 pm

This has been the longest afternoon at work in my lifetime. It does not help that I will be working late this entire week.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Honey, you can't walk through BK. It's way too vast a county to do such.

Your scenario need not apply in this instance. Given the BK versus UWS comparison, both areas are urban. But neprep took it a step further to judge an entire borough versus that of a neighborhood in Manhattan.

....and even more hilarious is his statement of NYU being closer to BK. The closest BK neighborhood to NYU is a neighborhood of similar ilk to Morning Side. And he appears to forget the neighborhoods of TriBeCa and Greenwich Village (which is considered even more desirable to Morningside by NYC standards but apparently not by our in-house NYer neprep standards).

As a resident Brooklynite, I had no choice but to speak up. If folks want to start comparing a BOROUGH to a neighborhood in Manhattan, you better have visited or lived most of your life in said BOROUGH before talking about it "it's further from BK".

/BK-do-or-die rant.


This went way way beyond what my initial comment... It's just not necessary.

Congrats to those who were accepted.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Yeah this thread is getting derailed with all the BK-talk.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 pm

neprep wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:You are most welcome, neprep, but as any New Yorker would tell you, spending one's entire life does not equate to being qualified to judge "which particular areas appeal to me and which do not", unless you have visited or lived in every neighborhood of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx.

Surely, a person of your esteemed character wouldn't be so quick to judge Canarsie, Mill Basin, Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, East NY, Bushwick, Midwood, Bed-Stuy, Fort Hamilton, Sunset Park, Starrett City, Bensonhurst, Coney Island and the countless of other neighborhoods that comprise BK without first visiting each and every one, would they?


But, you see, a person of my esteemed character (which in this case refers to me) has judged "Canarsie, Mill Basin, Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, East NY, Bushwick, Midwood, Bed-Stuy, Fort Hamilton, Sunset Park, Starrett City, Bensonhurst, Coney Island and the countless of other neighborhoods that comprise BK" without "visiting each and every one." So you should really reassess your beliefs about people with esteemed characters. :lol:

(By the way that ":lol:" was totally sincere and not sarcastic. Will you befriend this white boy with pretty toes?)


Only until you agree to two things:

1. You must admit have prettier toes; and
2. To obtain said prettier toes for yourself, you need to come with me to my joint on Nostrand Avenue so the Korean nail techs can hook you up.


P.S. See you at CLS' ASW. :lol: :lol: :lol:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], carlos_danger, Dodocogon, Google [Bot], mike90018, potatocowpower, Purple Post It Note and 13 guests