Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
JSWright101 wrote: Jan 22...which is late. I wanted money from Columbia but it looks like IF I get in, I'm getting nada.
Nah, you could still get in off the waitlist, and if you carry a HYS, then you can definitely have money come your way. Don't count yourself out.
+1. Not just speaking about Columbia here, but in a lot of cases getting in off the waitlist gives you a better chance at money than getting in early.

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:12 pm

caiti wrote:
Gary wrote:@ jessasaurus

Yeah I agree with ls22, that's why I asked that question. Taking away invaluable bargaining opportunities isn't that great a decision unless your parents decided to fund your education or you're independently wealthy.... Actually even then it's a bad idea because you could still save a TON of money
I don't know about other people, but I would think if you've gotten a T6 full scholarship (assuming a lower-ranked school isn't a first choice for whatever reason) it make plenty of sense to withdraw from other schools. I'm withdrawing from anywhere that WL's me (except maybe Yale), and I'm planning to withdraw from other schools that have admitted me already soon (no reason to take up a spot). With HLS and a Hamilton, there's just no reason to not withdraw, really. Anyway, I know that situation is rare, but you don't have to be wealthy to withdraw from schools early on. (And I can't imagine anything Penn or UVA could give anyone would be better for bargaining than a Hamilton/Ruby/Vanderbilt.)
I completely agree with you. My original post asked if she got a Rubenstein because withdrawing from Columbia would then be 100% understandable. But there was no T6 full scholly.... Hence my advice :)

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:06 pm

caiti wrote:
Gary wrote:@ jessasaurus

Yeah I agree with ls22, that's why I asked that question. Taking away invaluable bargaining opportunities isn't that great a decision unless your parents decided to fund your education or you're independently wealthy.... Actually even then it's a bad idea because you could still save a TON of money
I don't know about other people, but I would think if you've gotten a T6 full scholarship (assuming a lower-ranked school isn't a first choice for whatever reason) it make plenty of sense to withdraw from other schools. I'm withdrawing from anywhere that WL's me (except maybe Yale), and I'm planning to withdraw from other schools that have admitted me already soon (no reason to take up a spot). With HLS and a Hamilton, there's just no reason to not withdraw, really. Anyway, I know that situation is rare, but you don't have to be wealthy to withdraw from schools early on. (And I can't imagine anything Penn or UVA could give anyone would be better for bargaining than a Hamilton/Ruby/Vanderbilt.)
I think most people would agree with you on that, but this situation is pretty rare. That's why we were asking if that person had a full scholarship from a T6.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Dodged the "Hold" wave (mixed metaphor, sorry...), unsure for what the future holds. Late-November complete and no word since, neither an auto-admit nor auto-ding by the numbers.

I'm guessing in the balancing act Columbia faces of practicing YP (weeding out too-strong candidates unlikely to matriculate) while keeping their medians high (not filling up all their spots with just-okay folks, like me, who are likely to matriculate), I am being strung along until Columbia decides whether it needs me or not.

Meh. Hang in there, guys!

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:55 pm

In. Much excite.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:09 pm

rseaney wrote:In. Much excite.
Congrats!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Congrats!!!

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:12 pm

Awesome! When was your letter dated?

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:32 pm

congrats!

by mail?

what what your complete date?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Congrats! :D

lejabberwocky

New

Post by lejabberwocky » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Got the blue envelope today! (forgot to check mailbox yesterday). Postmarked 18th; Complete Jan 28.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Awesome, congrats! Thanks for the PM date.

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Sorry for the tease guys -- I saw it as I was rushing out the door. I'll let you know the sent date as soon as I get back.

Btw LSAT 75, gpa median. Complete January 17.
But... my PS called em Harvard haha. I'll never submit apps after an all-nighter again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:34 pm

lejabberwocky wrote:Got the blue envelope today! (forgot to check mailbox yesterday). Postmarked 18th; Complete Jan 28.
Your avatar earns you a double congratulations. Congratulations congratulations!
rseaney wrote:Sorry for the tease guys -- I saw it as I was rushing out the door. I'll let you know the sent date as soon as I get back.

But... my PS called em Harvard haha. I'll never submit apps after an all-nighter again.
You actually left before snatching it up? I'm impressed. And the fact that you committed the cardinal sin of Why X in a PS and still got in? You too get a double congratulations. Congratulations congratulations!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Congrats guys!

It looks like those of us who didn't get held may get a surprise in the mail this week.

lejabberwocky

New

Post by lejabberwocky » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 am

malleus discentium wrote:
lejabberwocky wrote:Got the blue envelope today! (forgot to check mailbox yesterday). Postmarked 18th; Complete Jan 28.
Your avatar earns you a double congratulations. Congratulations congratulations!
rseaney wrote:Sorry for the tease guys -- I saw it as I was rushing out the door. I'll let you know the sent date as soon as I get back.

You actually left before snatching it up? I'm impressed. And the fact that you committed the cardinal sin of Why X in a PS and still got in? You too get a double congratulations. Congratulations congratulations!
Thank you thank you, and kudos kudos for recognizing her and HER?

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:27 am

ooooh, v excite. congrats to all the new admits!

feels like we are poihaps inching toward some decisions for feb completes. :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:41 am

noo haha i didnt write a Why X (although i didnt realize that thats cardinal sin-level bad). I just mentioned the school by name at the end, but I will take that double congratulations:)

Thanks for being so supportive everyone, best of luck to all still waiting

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:19 am

rseaney wrote:

noo haha i didnt write a Why X (although i didnt realize that thats cardinal sin-level bad). I just mentioned the school by name at the end, but I will take that double congratulations:)

Thanks for being so supportive everyone, best of luck to all still waiting
The cardinal sin I refer to is putting the specific name of a school in a PS and then sending it to the wrong one. But apparently, despite adcoms saying they do not look too favorably on that, it's not an app-killer!

engin3rd

New

Post by engin3rd » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 am

I'm sure this has already been addressed at some point, so sorry for rehashing, but does anyone have any stats on ED deferrals? The timeline on pg 1 is a little confusing to me in terms of what the "WL" is considered. As in, did that cluster of ED'ers in early April get put on the general waitlist AFTER being "reconsidered in April"? Or was the process just different in that cycle?

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 am

engin3rd wrote:I'm sure this has already been addressed at some point, so sorry for rehashing, but does anyone have any stats on ED deferrals? The timeline on pg 1 is a little confusing to me in terms of what the "WL" is considered. As in, did that cluster of ED'ers in early April get put on the general waitlist AFTER being "reconsidered in April"? Or was the process just different in that cycle?
Last cycle some EDs end up getting deferred. Then held. Then WLed. I know of at least one that got in toward mid summer. So yes. Some were WLed after being reconsidered in April.

The WL is broken down into three. At the end of each month cuts would be made. Some people would move from 1st reserve to 2nd reserve. Then another set of cuts were made. And 3rd reserve was created. Throughout that time apps were constantly being considered.

It's a miserable and stressful process. Hopefully you don't have to go through that

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschoolgal90

New

Post by lawschoolgal90 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 pm

"The Office of Admissions has not slowed down during its busiest time of the year, despite all of the snow that New York City has received (approximately 42") this year! As our March 3 deadline approaches, we continue to receive applications and are working hard to select members of the Class of 2017. We hope that this edition of Commentaries finds you staying warm this winter and sharing our excitement over all of the latest news and events at Columbia Law School."

Is this a held?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:11 pm

lawschoolgal90 wrote:"The Office of Admissions has not slowed down during its busiest time of the year, despite all of the snow that New York City has received (approximately 42") this year! As our March 3 deadline approaches, we continue to receive applications and are working hard to select members of the Class of 2017. We hope that this edition of Commentaries finds you staying warm this winter and sharing our excitement over all of the latest news and events at Columbia Law School."

Is this a held?
No

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:14 pm

lejabberwocky wrote:

Thank you thank you, and kudos kudos for recognizing her and HER?
I second this, congrats you two, and that is an AWESOME tar hahahaha. Did you make it?

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:15 pm

jingosaur wrote:Congrats guys!

It looks like those of us who didn't get held may get a surprise in the mail this week.
Eep!
Given that one of the postmarks was 2/18, maybe CLS sent out a batch of admissions by mail last week before their hold emails, and those mailed letters are slowlyyy now making their way across the country???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”