Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kershka

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by kershka » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm a little late in posting this but I was also part of this reserve wave. Not really bothered; I was already narrowing down my options by the time Columbia held me and am happy with how my cycle has gone. Good luck to those still waiting to hear and to those who decide to ride the WL!

(oh, and LSAT>median, GPA> 75th, Oct submit, held in March for anyone who wants to know. Will go update spreadsheet now)

checkers

Bronze

Post by checkers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:53 pm

JSWright101 wrote:I'm particularly cynical with all of this right now because my cycle has been laughably terrible and I'm probably gonna be reapplying next year instead of starting on my life journey or whatever in the fall. :roll:
Thoughts on what happened this cycle? Did you apply late? Was there a weak element to your app? Stats?

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

checkers

Bronze

Post by checkers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:40 pm

(See ^above^ JSWright101 quote)

Wow, thanks for sharing in such an in-depth way. It sounds like you've done a fair amount of thinking and have come to a pretty healthy conclusion: reapply and be more conservative next time. With all of the consternation about what perceived faults you see in your softs, nothing really is a big enough deal to make schools turn away a 4.05/174. That just screams ADMIT, and you'd have to do a pretty good job of talking yourself out of an acceptance, which it sounds like you might have done. Keep in mind however, you will probably be heavily yield-protected at a good number of the T14, so try to make each school feel special if you can, or else you'll be at the mercy of HYS. Take the next 6mo and work on a new personal statement that is polished and thoughtful, but without trying to be flashy. You seriously don't need to take that gamble with your numbers, so play it safe, and hopefully we'll be talking this time next year about which mega-scholly you should accept.

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Guess I survived another round of waitlists (unless my denial is in transit). Still haven't heard anything; I've only been complete since early Feb. Really don't understand where I fit into their thought process, but it seems like we are all in that same boat.

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 pm

These reserves are terrifying, because so many of you have better numbers than me (a recent admit). I'm so worried that CLS will turn around and expect me to pay sticker. If that's the case, then I'll be freeing up a spot for sure in no time.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Hey JSWright - I think you shouldn't be too down on your application. You have stellar numbers and kind of an interesting background. I bet with some help next cycle you'll snag one of HYS and get some big $$$ elsewhere. Waiting a cycle would give you plenty of room to really spend some time on the possibly problematic aspects of your application.

Just my $.02

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 am

JSWright101 wrote:
checkers wrote:(See ^above^ JSWright101 quote)

Wow, thanks for sharing in such an in-depth way. It sounds like you've done a fair amount of thinking and have come to a pretty healthy conclusion: reapply and be more conservative next time. With all of the consternation about what perceived faults you see in your softs, nothing really is a big enough deal to make schools turn away a 4.05/174. That just screams ADMIT, and you'd have to do a pretty good job of talking yourself out of an acceptance, which it sounds like you might have done. Keep in mind however, you will probably be heavily yield-protected at a good number of the T14, so try to make each school feel special if you can, or else you'll be at the mercy of HYS. Take the next 6mo and work on a new personal statement that is polished and thoughtful, but without trying to be flashy. You seriously don't need to take that gamble with your numbers, so play it safe, and hopefully we'll be talking this time next year about which mega-scholly you should accept.
This is all true. Tbh, I went flashy in the PS in part because I wasn't sure what my final score would be and up until then I was redacted so I needed flashy. I've thought that the biggest general problem with my app is that I now have generally auto-admit #s for most of the T14 but I crafted my app as if I was a low-scoring non-trad applicant looking for a hail mary - a disconnect there really.

Also, I love Berkeley and I would love to attend. However, I have an SO in NY that will have to move with me so I need it to be worth it and with my #s I really think I should be looking at $$$ from them (I would jump on a full-ride to Berk). I'm pretty debt averse (like I would only spend a lot on HYS and even then the grant amounts would matter and $$$ elsewhere would likely easily beat those - I have no safety net if everything goes south so I need to be cautious).
If your SO is in NY, you should push hard for CLS. Maybe there'll be a spare Butler when Stanford opens up it's wait list.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:32 am

jbagelboy wrote: If your SO is in NY, you should push hard for CLS. Maybe there'll be a spare Butler when Stanford opens up it's wait list.
Can you expand on this? Does Columbia give out second hand Butlers to people?

hweigel

New

Post by hweigel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:01 am

Does CLS reject people who have been held or are held candidates either wait-listed or accepted? I was held in February and am still waiting to hear... (scared to check the mail).

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Bronze

Post by OMAR_COMIN_YO » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am

Are they REALLY going to make us wait until Friday? 0_0

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:Are they REALLY going to make us wait until Friday? 0_0
I wouldn't be surprised honestly, at least for some of us.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:40 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: If your SO is in NY, you should push hard for CLS. Maybe there'll be a spare Butler when Stanford opens up it's wait list.
They give out aid awards that are equivalent to the Butler, just without the name. I got the Butler equivalent and others have reported the same.

bravo1085

Bronze

Post by bravo1085 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Looks like a day of silence.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:02 pm

jdapplicant wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
They give out aid awards that are equivalent to the Butler, just without the name. I got the Butler equivalent and others have reported the same.
So I'm guessing this is all awarded through their so called need based grants. It's strange that they would give out the exact amount of a merit based halfsie scholarship unnamed rather than break it down and distribute it more according to wider need requirements (since they hold it out to be totally need based in their application materials)...probably no way to predict it until you get your aid offer, but it is nice to know there is this possibility. Thanks!

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
jdapplicant wrote: They give out aid awards that are equivalent to the Butler, just without the name. I got the Butler equivalent and others have reported the same.
So I'm guessing this is all awarded through their so called need based grants. It's strange that they would give out the exact amount of a merit based halfsie scholarship unnamed rather than break it down and distribute it more according to wider need requirements (since they hold it out to be totally need based in their application materials)...probably no way to predict it until you get your aid offer, but it is nice to know there is this possibility. Thanks!
Honestly, I think it's very unlikely that my award was strictly need-based, considering my parent's finances. Also, I got basically the exact same award (plus or minus $10k) from schools that claim strictly need based and schools that admit merit considerations. I think it's a mix of both, maybe with a heavier weight to need. Definitely no way of predicting it IMO, except that there's a good chance they will beat your NYU offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:11 pm

jdapplicant wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
jdapplicant wrote: They give out aid awards that are equivalent to the Butler, just without the name. I got the Butler equivalent and others have reported the same.
Honestly, I think it's very unlikely that my award was strictly need-based, considering my parent's finances. Also, I got basically the exact same award (plus or minus $10k) from schools that claim strictly need based and schools that admit merit considerations. I think it's a mix of both, maybe with a heavier weight to need. Definitely no way of predicting it IMO, except that there's a good chance they will beat your NYU offer.
If I had the foresight and good sense to apply to NYU or Chicago and play the finaid extortion game rather than getting more or less YPed down the line for not writing the extra essays.
Crossing my fingers for the Butler that dare not speak its name, hopefully my late finaid app won't scuzz up the possibility too much since I can semi-convincingly show that a sizeable parental contribution is untenable in spite of their 2013 income.

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm

EquallyWrong wrote: If I had the foresight and good sense to apply to NYU or Chicago and play the finaid extortion game rather than getting more or less YPed down the line for not writing the extra essays.
Crossing my fingers for the Butler that dare not speak its name, hopefully my late finaid app won't scuzz up the possibility too much since I can semi-convincingly show that a sizeable parental contribution is untenable in spite of their 2013 income.
:lol:

Btw, by "beat your NYU offer" I meant that their initial offers tend to be more than NYU's, not that they will necessarily match/beat NYU after negotiations (and vice versa). I think the NYC schools tend to more aggressively compete with U Chi than each other when it comes to fin aid negotiations.

Platoismyking

New

Post by Platoismyking » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Any ED -> Deferred applicants still waiting to hear back?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:20 pm

jdapplicant wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote: If I had the foresight and good sense to apply to NYU or Chicago and play the finaid extortion game rather than getting more or less YPed down the line for not writing the extra essays.

Btw, by "beat your NYU offer" I meant that their initial offers tend to be more than NYU's, not that they will necessarily match/beat NYU after negotiations (and vice versa). I think the NYC schools tend to more aggressively compete with U Chi than each other when it comes to fin aid negotiations.
my own anecdotal evidence (negotiation denied) suggests that columbia did not feel at all like it needed to compete with my chi offer (which was 50k higher than columbia's).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:43 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:

my own anecdotal evidence (negotiation denied) suggests that columbia did not feel at all like it needed to compete with my chi offer (which was 50k higher than columbia's).
Indeed, appeals based on competing offers haven't seem to have gone that well for people if TLS activity is any indication, maybe being at the mercy of the initial offer won't make that much of a difference. Cut to me crying in the shower (in my cutoffs) if it comes back as sticker or bust.

beefjerky

New

Post by beefjerky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Platoismyking wrote:Any ED -> Deferred applicants still waiting to hear back?
I am! Not sure if it is a good sign or not, given responses other people have gotten so far. Thoughts?

BA414

New

Post by BA414 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm still just marked as "complete." So, how do they notify of us of acceptances/WL/ding? Call, email, snail?

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 am

Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”