NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How many optional essays did you write

0: I'm lazy/none of them interested me
230
61%
1: One really fit my needs
93
25%
2: Couldn't have just one
39
10%
3-6: Neurosis levels.. rising..
7
2%
7: I am an actual crazy person
9
2%
 
Total votes: 378

worried0L
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby worried0L » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:05 pm

it's been 4 working days since i submitted my nyu app and i still receive 0 acknowledgement email + 0 status checker email. should i be worried now?

User avatar
Let It Roll
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Let It Roll » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:07 pm

worried0L wrote:it's been 4 working days since i submitted my nyu app and i still receive 0 acknowledgement email + 0 status checker email. should i be worried now?


No. It takes awhile from what I remember.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Otunga » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Would it absurd to attend NYU (minus big scholarship considerations) if either you don't want to work in New York City or you don't have a strong interest in biglaw?

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Otunga wrote:Would it absurd to attend NYU (minus big scholarship considerations) if either you don't want to work in New York City or you don't have a strong interest in biglaw?


I can't speak to placement in NYC, but NYU is solidly above average when it comes to PI/Govt-placement and LRAP viability.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:03 pm

im under review!!!

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Otunga wrote:Would it absurd to attend NYU (minus big scholarship considerations) if either you don't want to work in New York City or you don't have a strong interest in biglaw?

Location-wise, NYU definitely seems strongest in NYC but plenty of grads do go outside of New York.

As far as public service goes, I don't know but they have a pretty public service good score on LST and their LRAP seems solid to me

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby neprep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:08 pm

scoobers wrote:im under review!!!


I don't have a status checker yet! I don't even have a "we'll send you a status checker" email. :(

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:09 pm

neprep wrote:
scoobers wrote:im under review!!!


I don't have a status checker yet! I don't even have a "we'll send you a status checker" email. :(


I applied 9 days ago, but didn't get my LORs in till yesterday which may have made the difference :/

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby okok » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:28 pm

does anyone know if NYU requires a Deans Cert if an applicant has C&F issues?
I'm pretty sure their application said an addendum explaining any C&F stuff would be enough.

just second guessing myself now that my status checker hasn't updated for a long while.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby neprep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:30 pm

scoobers wrote:
neprep wrote:
scoobers wrote:im under review!!!


I don't have a status checker yet! I don't even have a "we'll send you a status checker" email. :(


I applied 9 days ago, but didn't get my LORs in till yesterday which may have made the difference :/


Scoobs you're basically me but with a better GPA. You need to get into t-3 so I get t3-t6.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:00 pm

neprep wrote:
scoobers wrote:
neprep wrote:
scoobers wrote:im under review!!!


I don't have a status checker yet! I don't even have a "we'll send you a status checker" email. :(


I applied 9 days ago, but didn't get my LORs in till yesterday which may have made the difference :/


Scoobs you're basically me but with a better GPA. You need to get into t-3 so I get t3-t6.


scoobs will be first member of nyuls2017 hth

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
scoobs will be first member of nyuls2017 hth

dont jinx it guise

dante
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:26 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby dante » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:25 am

okok wrote:does anyone know if NYU requires a Deans Cert if an applicant has C&F issues?
I'm pretty sure their application said an addendum explaining any C&F stuff would be enough.

just second guessing myself now that my status checker hasn't updated for a long while.


I don't remember them needing anything extra.

And I feel ya man! I've also been UR since 10/10 with no status date change.

Are you RD?

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby gbelle » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 am

kathj06 wrote:I called the Admissions Office--they said no one had called them about the issue and thanked me for alerting them. She said that no admissions notifications had been issued, but that notifications would be coming soon. She didn't think she was allowed to say much beyond that. She said they would look into the issue further; it does seem to be some sort of glitch. That being said, I am choosing to be optimistic about it....

Edit: and now the message has mysteriously disappeared from the status checker. My neurotic law school applicant freakout of the day has come to an end!


"coming soon" EEEP!

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 am

Don't worry, it's probably about another 3 weeks until most of us in UR get our decisions. Not bad.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:07 am

Turns out I forgot to attach my C&F explanations to my application. Whoops :(. Just hoping this doesn't delay my decision.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 am

jingosaur wrote:Turns out I forgot to attach my C&F explanations to my application. Whoops :(. Just hoping this doesn't delay my decision.

I did the same thing (for an explanation of some time off I took from college) and after emailing NYU, they got back to me in 24 hours saying that the addendum was attached to my application.

Really fast turnaround, have no fear!

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 am

fivestarfolds wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Turns out I forgot to attach my C&F explanations to my application. Whoops :(. Just hoping this doesn't delay my decision.

I did the same thing (for an explanation of some time off I took from college) and after emailing NYU, they got back to me in 24 hours saying that the addendum was attached to my application.

Really fast turnaround, have no fear!


Awesome! I figured that it's not a big deal. I'm sure they're just happy it's only some speeding tickets and not a DUI or murder or something.

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby okok » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 pm

dante wrote:
okok wrote:does anyone know if NYU requires a Deans Cert if an applicant has C&F issues?
I'm pretty sure their application said an addendum explaining any C&F stuff would be enough.

just second guessing myself now that my status checker hasn't updated for a long while.


I don't remember them needing anything extra.

And I feel ya man! I've also been UR since 10/10 with no status date change.

Are you RD?

yep
I really need to stop checking TLS, seeing other people get updates/admits is stressing me out

User avatar
okok
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby okok » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:11 pm

jingosaur wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Turns out I forgot to attach my C&F explanations to my application. Whoops :(. Just hoping this doesn't delay my decision.

I did the same thing (for an explanation of some time off I took from college) and after emailing NYU, they got back to me in 24 hours saying that the addendum was attached to my application.

Really fast turnaround, have no fear!


Awesome! I figured that it's not a big deal. I'm sure they're just happy it's only some speeding tickets and not a DUI or murder or something.

lol at dui and murder being same tier of bad for a law school app

worried0L
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby worried0L » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 pm

guys, how long did you go Submitted -> nyu acknowledgement email?

i had to recheck whether i had submitted to NYLS instead of NYU.

5 working days and not a single sound.

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby gbelle » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm

okok wrote:
dante wrote:
okok wrote:does anyone know if NYU requires a Deans Cert if an applicant has C&F issues?
I'm pretty sure their application said an addendum explaining any C&F stuff would be enough.

just second guessing myself now that my status checker hasn't updated for a long while.


I don't remember them needing anything extra.

And I feel ya man! I've also been UR since 10/10 with no status date change.

Are you RD?

yep
I really need to stop checking TLS, seeing other people get updates/admits is stressing me out


Same. I wish I could just hibernate between now and the time the ED decisions are made.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm

worried0L wrote:guys, how long did you go Submitted -> nyu acknowledgement email?

i had to recheck whether i had submitted to NYLS instead of NYU.

5 working days and not a single sound.


I think it took about a week for me. Still check to make sure you didn't submit to NYLS because that would be brutal. NYU application turnaround is pretty quick.

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Marshmallow » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 am

Has anyone here applied for the AnBryce scholarship? I think that my PS pretty thoroughly addresses a lot of what I want to include in the scholarship essay, and I don't want to repeat myself too much. Can I assume my PS will be considered with respect to the scholarship in addition to the essay I write specifically for it? If I should take this question some place else, let me know!

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby jingosaur » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am

Marshmallow wrote:Has anyone here applied for the AnBryce scholarship? I think that my PS pretty thoroughly addresses a lot of what I want to include in the scholarship essay, and I don't want to repeat myself too much. Can I assume my PS will be considered with respect to the scholarship in addition to the essay I write specifically for it? If I should take this question some place else, let me know!


Ask someone in the admissions office. I was slightly repetitive for a scholarship essay for a different program.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Biglaw1990, Finickywalrus, Google Adsense [Bot], Mr. Bubbles, pandaaa, spookyg_g_ghost, tinafeyclone and 23 guests