NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How many optional essays did you write

0: I'm lazy/none of them interested me
230
61%
1: One really fit my needs
93
25%
2: Couldn't have just one
39
10%
3-6: Neurosis levels.. rising..
7
2%
7: I am an actual crazy person
9
2%
 
Total votes: 378

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:30 pm

alex.cm wrote:Suck it, Scoobs, I've been under review since 10/15.


D:

everyday removed from my twins bom and nep makes me more and more concerned. :(

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby wtrc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Submitteddddddd.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm

wtrc wrote:Submitteddddddd.


hai welcome to the club i'm the friendly neighborhood scoobers

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm

alex.cm wrote:Suck it, Scoobs, I've been under review since 10/15.


Image

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 pm

scoobers wrote:
wtrc wrote:Submitteddddddd.


hai welcome to the club i'm the friendly neighborhood scoobers


ugh. your tar. i was like "don't know this person. IGNORE."

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
scoobers wrote:
wtrc wrote:Submitteddddddd.


hai welcome to the club i'm the friendly neighborhood scoobers


ugh. your tar. i was like "don't know this person. IGNORE."


i think he's hawt :wink:

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby wtrc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm

scoobers wrote:
wtrc wrote:Submitteddddddd.


hai welcome to the club i'm the friendly neighborhood scoobers


Hi Scoobers I am WTRC we should be friends

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby thechancellor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm

californiauser wrote:
alex.cm wrote:Suck it, Scoobs, I've been under review since 10/15.


I_know_that_feel_bro.jpg

Thank god for y'all, you make this bearable. ;)

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 pm

wtrc wrote:
scoobers wrote:
wtrc wrote:Submitteddddddd.


hai welcome to the club i'm the friendly neighborhood scoobers


Hi Scoobers I am WTRC we should be friends


hi WTRC your tar looks friendly so sure

User avatar
pokemonsters
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby pokemonsters » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:00 pm

So just to confirm, NYU sent decisions on 12/2 and 12/3. We're still waiting on the next wave of decisions to be released.

Anyone have an idea when that will be based on past years' cycles?

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 pm

pokemonsters wrote:So just to confirm, NYU sent decisions on 12/2 and 12/3. We're still waiting on the next wave of decisions to be released.

Anyone have an idea when that will be based on past years' cycles?


Based on LSN for all the years available there doesn't seem to be a coherent pattern. It could be any day from this point on...

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Any new DLS today?

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:06 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Any new DLS today?


nope :(

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby 03152016 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:22 pm

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Max324 wrote:The chart on the OP shows all of the ED admits happening the first week, and before the bulk of the RD admits. Anyone know if this is generally the case? Should us ED candidates be nervous at this point?


It looks like 12/6 was the latest ED acceptance last cycle, but it's a tiny sample size, plus with declining applicants all schools seem to be on different timetables this year.

Last year 12/10 was a huge day, so hopefully we see some movement this week.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 pm

californiauser wrote:
Max324 wrote:The chart on the OP shows all of the ED admits happening the first week, and before the bulk of the RD admits. Anyone know if this is generally the case? Should us ED candidates be nervous at this point?


It looks like 12/6 was the latest ED acceptance last cycle, but it's a tiny sample size, plus with declining applicants all schools seem to be on different timetables this year.

Last year 12/10 was a huge day, so hopefully we see some movement this week.


Last year 12/10 was Monday, which means we'd expect all that movement today. Hurm.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:38 pm

So, 170s are often good enough for an acceptance, but it is a grudging acceptance that often takes until Feb/March? :|

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby gbelle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Max324 wrote:The chart on the OP shows all of the ED admits happening the first week, and before the bulk of the RD admits. Anyone know if this is generally the case? Should us ED candidates be nervous at this point?


It looks like 12/6 was the latest ED acceptance last cycle, but it's a tiny sample size, plus with declining applicants all schools seem to be on different timetables this year.

Last year 12/10 was a huge day, so hopefully we see some movement this week.


Last year 12/10 was Monday, which means we'd expect all that movement today. Hurm.


It's my Dad's 70th birthday today. I'm really really hoping I can surprise him with a "I GOT INTO NYU!!!!" I feel like he's more stressed out than me at this point...

kek5250
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby kek5250 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 pm

I wasn't planning on applying to NYU after they LOST my application for undergrad and refused to refund my application fee- it left a bad taste in my mouth. But today they sent me an email asking me to apply, you know the one. The "you're a competitive applicant based on your numbers" email- anyone know if their numbers are down? or what? I'm not a super strong applicant for them generally speaking- 167, 3.75ish. Is it worth applying? I don't want to spend $100 for a rejection letter like I did for undergrad (after I waited 3 weeks past their decision date and called them... they refused to refund my app fee but said they'd notify me after reading my application. psh. jerks!)

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby politics89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:01 pm

My application is completely done, except that I'm still debating whether to apply to the AnBryce. I was trying to find some information on previous winners to see what kind of thing they are looking for. Anybody know what makes it worth it to throw an essay at? It seems more essay driven than numbers, yes? no?

Thanks everyone.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:03 pm

politics89 wrote:My application is completely done, except that I'm still debating whether to apply to the AnBryce. I was trying to find some information on previous winners to see what kind of thing they are looking for. Anybody know what makes it worth it to throw an essay at? It seems more essay driven than numbers, yes? no?

Thanks everyone.


This might be helpful: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... p/scholars

Also, anecdotally heard from a "friend" at NYU that a lot of the RTK-type people he knows actually have lower numbers, since NYU tries very hard to maintain a strong PI sense on campus.

ETA: I'd say if you have a strong story and decent numbers, throw the essay in. I'd also just recommend working on it quickly and getting your app in as soon as possible.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 pm

kek5250 wrote:I wasn't planning on applying to NYU after they LOST my application for undergrad and refused to refund my application fee- it left a bad taste in my mouth. But today they sent me an email asking me to apply, you know the one. The "you're a competitive applicant based on your numbers" email- anyone know if their numbers are down? or what? I'm not a super strong applicant for them generally speaking- 167, 3.75ish. Is it worth applying? I don't want to spend $100 for a rejection letter like I did for undergrad (after I waited 3 weeks past their decision date and called them... they refused to refund my app fee but said they'd notify me after reading my application. psh. jerks!)


I would apply. Don't let petty grievances or $100 get in the way of attending a wonderful school which would set you up for a successful career.

Edit: Well midwest is less lazy than I am and actually looked up the myLSN info - that doesn't support a huge shot at NYU.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 pm

kek5250 wrote:I wasn't planning on applying to NYU after they LOST my application for undergrad and refused to refund my application fee- it left a bad taste in my mouth. But today they sent me an email asking me to apply, you know the one. The "you're a competitive applicant based on your numbers" email- anyone know if their numbers are down? or what? I'm not a super strong applicant for them generally speaking- 167, 3.75ish. Is it worth applying? I don't want to spend $100 for a rejection letter like I did for undergrad (after I waited 3 weeks past their decision date and called them... they refused to refund my app fee but said they'd notify me after reading my application. psh. jerks!)


You're below the LSAT 25th, and in the GPA 50-75. I wouldn't expect you to have a great chance, and LSN seems to back that up:

Image

Did they give you a fee waiver, or just encourage you to apply?

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby politics89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:09 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
politics89 wrote:My application is completely done, except that I'm still debating whether to apply to the AnBryce. I was trying to find some information on previous winners to see what kind of thing they are looking for. Anybody know what makes it worth it to throw an essay at? It seems more essay driven than numbers, yes? no?

Thanks everyone.


This might be helpful: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... p/scholars

Also, anecdotally heard from a "friend" at NYU that a lot of the RTK-type people he knows actually have lower numbers, since NYU tries very hard to maintain a strong PI sense on campus.

ETA: I'd say if you have a strong story and decent numbers, throw the essay in. I'd also just recommend working on it quickly and getting your app in as soon as possible.


Thanks, do you think the RTK-types are similar to AnBryce in types of stories? I feel like I'm more on the end of numbers being strong and story being ok.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 pm

politics89 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
politics89 wrote:My application is completely done, except that I'm still debating whether to apply to the AnBryce. I was trying to find some information on previous winners to see what kind of thing they are looking for. Anybody know what makes it worth it to throw an essay at? It seems more essay driven than numbers, yes? no?

Thanks everyone.


This might be helpful: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... p/scholars

Also, anecdotally heard from a "friend" at NYU that a lot of the RTK-type people he knows actually have lower numbers, since NYU tries very hard to maintain a strong PI sense on campus.

ETA: I'd say if you have a strong story and decent numbers, throw the essay in. I'd also just recommend working on it quickly and getting your app in as soon as possible.


Thanks, do you think the RTK-types are similar to AnBryce in types of stories? I feel like I'm more on the end of numbers being strong and story being ok.


Yeah, I'm just lumping everything together under RTK. I really don't know. I'd say if you meet the qualifications for AnBryce and have the numbers for NYU, then you should apply (assuming you can still get your application out relatively quickly).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, dreamer_13, ellielaw, Long shot hero, nslaw123, rationalhound, Snowjon and 11 guests