NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How many optional essays did you write

0: I'm lazy/none of them interested me
230
61%
1: One really fit my needs
93
25%
2: Couldn't have just one
39
10%
3-6: Neurosis levels.. rising..
7
2%
7: I am an actual crazy person
9
2%
 
Total votes: 378

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby gbelle » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:20 am

lopay92 wrote:
gbelle wrote:
Max324 wrote:
str8yolked wrote:Do you guys think I should be worried since I applied ED and haven't been accepted yet?

That's exactly what I'm wondering. I applied ED in October and I'm still under review.

Fuck this is painful.


+1

ED here from October too! Definitely feeling the stress :!: :!: :!:


I also applied ED and am still under review. Was everyone here who was accepted already in ED or RD?


I think I've only seen one ED acceptance actually... I may have missed more than that though

lopay92
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby lopay92 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:21 am

Have all the acceptances been ED or RD?

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:23 am

lopay92 wrote:Have all the acceptances been ED or RD?


Most that I've seen have been RD - but there just may be a dearth of EDers on TLS that's causing this

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 am

Yes, TLS is mostly people with very high LSAT scores and GPAs in the mid 3s, which is what NYU takes for RD applicants in early December. I feel like there are a lot of ED applicants ITT who still haven't gotten ED decisions yet. Do you guys have a deadline for a decision?

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby gbelle » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:49 am

jingosaur wrote:Yes, TLS is mostly people with very high LSAT scores and GPAs in the mid 3s, which is what NYU takes for RD applicants in early December. I feel like there are a lot of ED applicants ITT who still haven't gotten ED decisions yet. Do you guys have a deadline for a decision?


I think we are suppose to receive notice by the end of December.

User avatar
metroidbum
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby metroidbum » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:58 am

So if I am seeking merit based scholarships from NYU, I need to fill out the need access form?

bear22
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby bear22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm 3.5x/173 and I still haven't heard back anything RD :(

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:11 pm

bear22 wrote:I'm 3.5x/173 and I still haven't heard back anything RD :(


when did you submit/go complete?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:15 pm

bear22 wrote:I'm 3.5x/173 and I still haven't heard back anything RD :(


Check the spreadsheet. You'll see average wait times which should give you an idea if you should start worrying yet or not :)

bear22
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby bear22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
bear22 wrote:I'm 3.5x/173 and I still haven't heard back anything RD :(


when did you submit/go complete?


I submitted 10/31, and went UR 11/1. No activity since then :(

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:32 pm

bear22 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
bear22 wrote:I'm 3.5x/173 and I still haven't heard back anything RD :(


when did you submit/go complete?


I submitted 10/31, and went UR 11/1. No activity since then :(


There are still people in the spreadsheet who went complete around you, who have very competitive numbers, that haven't heard yet. I wouldn't worry just yet.

bear22
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby bear22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Are all of us law school applicants so darn paranoid?

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 pm

bear22 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
bear22 wrote:I'm 3.5x/173 and I still haven't heard back anything RD :(


when did you submit/go complete?


I submitted 10/31, and went UR 11/1. No activity since then :(


hmm, i have similar dates/stats, so i have no idea.

however,

1) i wouldn't be too worried - check the spreadsheet for response time. you haven't actually been UR that long comparatively, so need to give up yet :)

2) i've been thinking about this for a while - i believe that alot of RD people who have heard back, such as jingo, LS22, and myself (jingo and LS22 correct me if i'm wrong) also applied for schollies. i think it's totally within reason/comprehension that they would push scholly applicants through admissions first because we still need to go through other committee reviews.

anyways. my two cents - i could be completely off base.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
bear22 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
bear22 wrote:I'm 3.5x/173 and I still haven't heard back anything RD :(


when did you submit/go complete?


I submitted 10/31, and went UR 11/1. No activity since then :(


hmm, i have similar dates/stats, so i have no idea.

however,

1) i wouldn't be too worried - check the spreadsheet for response time. you haven't actually been UR that long comparatively, so need to give up yet :)

2) i've been thinking about this for a while - i believe that alot of RD people who have heard back, such as jingo, LS22, and myself (jingo and LS22 correct me if i'm wrong) also applied for schollies. i think it's totally within reason/comprehension that they would push scholly applicants through admissions first because we still need to go through other committee reviews.

anyways. my two cents - i could be completely off base.


I'm only speaking for myself, but I did not apply for any of the scholarships. I do have good work experience and (I know everyone says this, but...) I felt I had a unique PS, which those two factors combined may have helped speed it along ever so slightly.

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:40 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
I'm only speaking for myself, but I did not apply for any of the scholarships. I do have good work experience and (I know everyone says this, but...) I felt I had a unique PS, which those two factors combined may have helped speed it along ever so slightly.


oops - lols, sry LS22 for misrepresentation! for some reason i thought you applied for the business one...have no clue why i thought that...

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
I'm only speaking for myself, but I did not apply for any of the scholarships. I do have good work experience and (I know everyone says this, but...) I felt I had a unique PS, which those two factors combined may have helped speed it along ever so slightly.


oops - lols, sry LS22 for misrepresentation! for some reason i thought you applied for the business one...have no clue why i thought that...


I probably should have but I was lazy and thought I probably had no chance lol. You probably thought that because of the nature of my WE

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby neprep » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:01 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
I'm only speaking for myself, but I did not apply for any of the scholarships. I do have good work experience and (I know everyone says this, but...) I felt I had a unique PS, which those two factors combined may have helped speed it along ever so slightly.


oops - lols, sry LS22 for misrepresentation! for some reason i thought you applied for the business one...have no clue why i thought that...


I probably should have but I was lazy and thought I probably had no chance lol. You probably thought that because of the nature of my WE


…or your spreadsheet artistry. :)

2014entering2014
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby 2014entering2014 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:19 pm

3.90/167

complete 9/12, UR1 11/14
RD
on a scale of "nahhh you fine" to "give up now", where would you say I'm at?

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:23 pm

2014entering2014 wrote:3.90/167

complete 9/12, UR1 11/14
RD
on a scale of "nahhh you fine" to "give up now", where would you say I'm at?


They want to see what their class looks like. Applicants with marginal numbers typically have to wait longer for decisions.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:27 pm

2014entering2014 wrote:3.90/167

complete 9/12, UR1 11/14
RD
on a scale of "nahhh you fine" to "give up now", where would you say I'm at?


You have a good chance of getting in. Don't let this first round of acceptances discourage you. Can you retake?

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:28 pm

jingosaur wrote:
2014entering2014 wrote:3.90/167

complete 9/12, UR1 11/14
RD
on a scale of "nahhh you fine" to "give up now", where would you say I'm at?


You have a good chance of getting in. Don't let this first round of acceptances discourage you. Can you retake?


i agree with jingo - if you retake and get up to 170, it would probs help a ton

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Where is my letter, NYU?

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm

applelover wrote:Where is my letter, NYU?


+1

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby wtrc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Do you guys think NOT applying for a named scholarship can hurt the application for people that are above the 75ths (because of YP?)

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm

wtrc wrote:Do you guys think NOT applying for a named scholarship can hurt the application for people that are above the 75ths (because of YP?)


I didn't think NYU was a big YP school but I could be wrong.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”