NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How many optional essays did you write

0: I'm lazy/none of them interested me
61%
1: One really fit my needs
24%
2: Couldn't have just one
11%
3-6: Neurosis levels.. rising..
2%
7: I am an actual crazy person
2%

Total votes: 380

JWP1022

Bronze

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Post by JWP1022 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:45 pm

They'll probably go through all of their applicants who are at or above both 75ths and reject them all just to make sure that they don't accept TLS forums user mirroroferised7. Yep.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:45 pm

JWP1022 wrote:They'll probably go through all of their applicants who are at or above both 75ths and reject them all just to make sure that they don't accept TLS forums user mirroroferised7. Yep.
Good news for me!

:lol:

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:51 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
rseaney wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:At both 75th
UR1 11/8

I really wanted to go to law school in NYC. Looks like I should have applied to Fordham if I wanted a school that gave a shit about its applicants?
careful, you know adcomms peruse these threads

What are they going to do, NOT admit me? Because I'm pretty sure that's where this is headed anyway...
I'd be really interested to read your PS. I always wonder if a lowly 0L like myself could find reasons for someone not being admitted. Obviously you've got the numbers so they're either yield protecting, filling a quota of underprivileged students, or found something they don't like.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:55 pm

SFrost wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
rseaney wrote:
UR1 11/8

I really wanted to go to law school in NYC. Looks like I should have applied to Fordham if I wanted a school that gave a shit about its applicants?
careful, you know adcomms peruse these threads

What are they going to do, NOT admit me? Because I'm pretty sure that's where this is headed anyway...
I'd be really interested to read your PS. I always wonder if a lowly 0L like myself could find reasons for someone not being admitted. Obviously you've got the numbers so they're either yield protecting, filling a quota of underprivileged students, or found something they don't like.
Nice try, adcomm. Not giving you my PS!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 pm

foiled! :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jace8819

New

Post by jace8819 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:04 pm

JWP1022 wrote:They'll probably go through all of their applicants who are at or above both 75ths and reject them all just to make sure that they don't accept TLS forums user mirroroferised7. Yep.
Now, it is beyond the realms of believability that any adcomm member would actually care enough about the rantings of a TLS law applicant to put forth the effort of tracking them down and maliciously dinging them for blowing off steam, but I doubt it would be that difficult to ascertain the identity of someone with a GPA and LSAT at or above both 75% marks with the same complete date, in review date, etc. (assuming all are accurately self-reported, which I do choose to believe) whose decisions are still pending... I wouldn't imagine it would be that large of a pool of possible applicants.

Just saying...

groovy20

New

Post by groovy20 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 pm

SFrost wrote:
UR1 11/8

It really isn't all about numbers. Once a school meets its medians, absolutely nothing is changed by admitting a 120 or a 180 LSAT (except the mean of course, which no one cares about).

To me, the fact you haven't heard says they do care. They care to make a deliberate and thoughtful decision that ultimately takes a long time. It's tough for us because we all want decisions, but it makes for a better class I think.

How true do you think this may be?

I am a reverse splitter with good softs and a strong public interest background. In addition, I wrote a statement as to why NYU Law is my top choice. I would like to think that public service background and fellowships, may, at the very least, slightly help offset my average LSAT score. However, the major wave--based on the LSN data from last year--of rejections should occur next week. Does anyone else have any insight as to whether or not adcoms consider mean? Once they do create the foundation for the medians, do they just look to fill the remaining spots with students who have unique backgrounds and experiences that will help shape the class?

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 pm

UR1 11/8

Dude (or dudette), didn't you just get your Feb LSAT score/ update schools with your new info? They may have held your application and not gotten around to re-evaluating it yet. You seem awfully worked up over what could be nothing.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 pm

groovy20 wrote:
SFrost wrote:
UR1 11/8

It really isn't all about numbers. Once a school meets its medians, absolutely nothing is changed by admitting a 120 or a 180 LSAT (except the mean of course, which no one cares about).

To me, the fact you haven't heard says they do care. They care to make a deliberate and thoughtful decision that ultimately takes a long time. It's tough for us because we all want decisions, but it makes for a better class I think.

How true do you think this may be?

I am a reverse splitter with good softs and a strong public interest background. In addition, I wrote a statement as to why NYU Law is my top choice. I would like to think that public service background and fellowships, may, at the very least, slightly help offset my average LSAT score. However, the major wave--based on the LSN data from last year--of rejections should occur next week. Does anyone else have any insight as to whether or not adcoms consider mean? Once they do create the foundation for the medians, do they just look to fill the remaining spots with students who have unique backgrounds and experiences that will help shape the class?
Mathematically true. One the more reliable kinds of true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:22 pm

jace8819 wrote:
Now, it is beyond the realms of believability that any adcomm member would actually care enough about the rantings of a TLS law applicant to put forth the effort of tracking them down and maliciously dinging them for blowing off steam, but I doubt it would be that difficult to ascertain the identity of someone with a GPA and LSAT at or above both 75% marks with the same complete date, in review date, etc. (assuming all are accurately self-reported, which I do choose to believe) whose decisions are still pending... I wouldn't imagine it would be that large of a pool of possible applicants.

Just saying...

are you folks not aware of this sort of thing? i personally know someone whose TLS posts were read after they were accepted to HLS, and they were subsequently pressured not to matriculate. I also spoke with Karen Buttenbaum, Harvard's Admissions Dean until this year, on the HLS thread not more than a month ago. They scope dis ishh every once in a while; I would too if I knew people were talking about me and my choices this much.

I mean its kinda cool that this lil blog has taken on some form of legitimacy. But it also means that we sh all be a lil extra careful. MirrorofErised, they clearly are considering you since you're not rejected. they want you, they just can't grant admission just yet -- probably because they're still sifting thru February LSATs

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:23 am

teampeeta wrote:
UR1 11/8

Dude (or dudette), didn't you just get your Feb LSAT score/ update schools with your new info? They may have held your application and not gotten around to re-evaluating it yet. You seem awfully worked up over what could be nothing.
If this is true, that is NOT a long turnaround. :?

AFP

New

Post by AFP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am

Just went DLS.

Edit: Applied in early November. My UR movement stopped in December, then picked back up again at the beginning of March.

rigoding

Bronze

Post by rigoding » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 am

AFP wrote:Just went DLS.

Edit: Applied in early November. My UR movement stopped in December, then picked back up again at the beginning of March.
How many UR's did you get?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AFP

New

Post by AFP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:32 am

rigoding wrote:
AFP wrote:Just went DLS.

How many UR's did you get?
I'm about 90% certain that I was on UR4 before DLS (two in early December, then two more in March).

AFP

New

Post by AFP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:34 am

Just logged into the website, so I'm in.

rigoding

Bronze

Post by rigoding » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 am

AFP wrote:Just logged into the website, so I'm in.
congrats!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 am

Congrats!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:51 am

Status checker is not working for me at the moment

bpc2110

New

Post by bpc2110 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:52 am

Complete 1/10. Has not been touched since.

orangec90

Bronze

Post by orangec90 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:54 am

capt_slow wrote:Status checker is not working for me at the moment
Mine's working just fine...still complete since October :|

tenniscourt

Bronze

Post by tenniscourt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Went DLS today too. How do you access the website to see?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Congrats!! And, uh, because we all knew this question was coming: Stats?

Fingers crossed for you, tenniscourt.

AFP

New

Post by AFP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 pm

alex.cm wrote:
Congrats!! And, uh, because we all knew this question was coming: Stats?

Fingers crossed for you, tenniscourt.
Slightly below median LSAT, >75 GPA.

tenniscourt, I pm'd you the login instructions. Good luck!

sephrenia300

New

Post by sephrenia300 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:36 pm

IIIIINNNN!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I might throw up.

mattyice122

New

Post by mattyice122 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Also in today! DLS and just logged in to the admitted students site! Stats in profile, so excited!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”