NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How many optional essays did you write

0: I'm lazy/none of them interested me
61%
1: One really fit my needs
24%
2: Couldn't have just one
11%
3-6: Neurosis levels.. rising..
2%
7: I am an actual crazy person
2%

Total votes: 380

Kimikho

Gold

Re: NYU c/o 2017 Applicants Thread!

Post by Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:30 pm

alex.cm wrote:Suck it, Scoobs, I've been under review since 10/15.
D:

everyday removed from my twins bom and nep makes me more and more concerned. :(

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Submitteddddddd.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm

wtrc wrote:Submitteddddddd.
hai welcome to the club i'm the friendly neighborhood scoobers

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 pm

scoobers wrote:
ugh. your tar. i was like "don't know this person. IGNORE."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
scoobers wrote:
ugh. your tar. i was like "don't know this person. IGNORE."
i think he's hawt :wink:

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm

scoobers wrote:
Hi Scoobers I am WTRC we should be friends

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm

californiauser wrote:
I_know_that_feel_bro.jpg
Thank god for y'all, you make this bearable. ;)

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 pm

wtrc wrote:
scoobers wrote:
Hi Scoobers I am WTRC we should be friends
hi WTRC your tar looks friendly so sure

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pokemonsters

Bronze

Post by pokemonsters » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:00 pm

So just to confirm, NYU sent decisions on 12/2 and 12/3. We're still waiting on the next wave of decisions to be released.

Anyone have an idea when that will be based on past years' cycles?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 pm

pokemonsters wrote:So just to confirm, NYU sent decisions on 12/2 and 12/3. We're still waiting on the next wave of decisions to be released.

Anyone have an idea when that will be based on past years' cycles?
Based on LSN for all the years available there doesn't seem to be a coherent pattern. It could be any day from this point on...

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Any new DLS today?

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:06 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Any new DLS today?
nope :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Max324 wrote:The chart on the OP shows all of the ED admits happening the first week, and before the bulk of the RD admits. Anyone know if this is generally the case? Should us ED candidates be nervous at this point?
It looks like 12/6 was the latest ED acceptance last cycle, but it's a tiny sample size, plus with declining applicants all schools seem to be on different timetables this year.

Last year 12/10 was a huge day, so hopefully we see some movement this week.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 pm

californiauser wrote:
Max324 wrote:The chart on the OP shows all of the ED admits happening the first week, and before the bulk of the RD admits. Anyone know if this is generally the case? Should us ED candidates be nervous at this point?
It looks like 12/6 was the latest ED acceptance last cycle, but it's a tiny sample size, plus with declining applicants all schools seem to be on different timetables this year.

Last year 12/10 was Monday, which means we'd expect all that movement today. Hurm.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:38 pm

So, 170s are often good enough for an acceptance, but it is a grudging acceptance that often takes until Feb/March? :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
californiauser wrote:

Last year 12/10 was Monday, which means we'd expect all that movement today. Hurm.
It's my Dad's 70th birthday today. I'm really really hoping I can surprise him with a "I GOT INTO NYU!!!!" I feel like he's more stressed out than me at this point...

kek5250

Bronze

Post by kek5250 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 pm

I wasn't planning on applying to NYU after they LOST my application for undergrad and refused to refund my application fee- it left a bad taste in my mouth. But today they sent me an email asking me to apply, you know the one. The "you're a competitive applicant based on your numbers" email- anyone know if their numbers are down? or what? I'm not a super strong applicant for them generally speaking- 167, 3.75ish. Is it worth applying? I don't want to spend $100 for a rejection letter like I did for undergrad (after I waited 3 weeks past their decision date and called them... they refused to refund my app fee but said they'd notify me after reading my application. psh. jerks!)

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:01 pm

My application is completely done, except that I'm still debating whether to apply to the AnBryce. I was trying to find some information on previous winners to see what kind of thing they are looking for. Anybody know what makes it worth it to throw an essay at? It seems more essay driven than numbers, yes? no?

Thanks everyone.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:03 pm

politics89 wrote:My application is completely done, except that I'm still debating whether to apply to the AnBryce. I was trying to find some information on previous winners to see what kind of thing they are looking for. Anybody know what makes it worth it to throw an essay at? It seems more essay driven than numbers, yes? no?

Thanks everyone.
This might be helpful: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... p/scholars

Also, anecdotally heard from a "friend" at NYU that a lot of the RTK-type people he knows actually have lower numbers, since NYU tries very hard to maintain a strong PI sense on campus.

ETA: I'd say if you have a strong story and decent numbers, throw the essay in. I'd also just recommend working on it quickly and getting your app in as soon as possible.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 pm

kek5250 wrote:I wasn't planning on applying to NYU after they LOST my application for undergrad and refused to refund my application fee- it left a bad taste in my mouth. But today they sent me an email asking me to apply, you know the one. The "you're a competitive applicant based on your numbers" email- anyone know if their numbers are down? or what? I'm not a super strong applicant for them generally speaking- 167, 3.75ish. Is it worth applying? I don't want to spend $100 for a rejection letter like I did for undergrad (after I waited 3 weeks past their decision date and called them... they refused to refund my app fee but said they'd notify me after reading my application. psh. jerks!)
I would apply. Don't let petty grievances or $100 get in the way of attending a wonderful school which would set you up for a successful career.

Edit: Well midwest is less lazy than I am and actually looked up the myLSN info - that doesn't support a huge shot at NYU.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 pm

kek5250 wrote:I wasn't planning on applying to NYU after they LOST my application for undergrad and refused to refund my application fee- it left a bad taste in my mouth. But today they sent me an email asking me to apply, you know the one. The "you're a competitive applicant based on your numbers" email- anyone know if their numbers are down? or what? I'm not a super strong applicant for them generally speaking- 167, 3.75ish. Is it worth applying? I don't want to spend $100 for a rejection letter like I did for undergrad (after I waited 3 weeks past their decision date and called them... they refused to refund my app fee but said they'd notify me after reading my application. psh. jerks!)
You're below the LSAT 25th, and in the GPA 50-75. I wouldn't expect you to have a great chance, and LSN seems to back that up:

Did they give you a fee waiver, or just encourage you to apply?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:09 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
politics89 wrote:My application is completely done, except that I'm still debating whether to apply to the AnBryce. I was trying to find some information on previous winners to see what kind of thing they are looking for. Anybody know what makes it worth it to throw an essay at? It seems more essay driven than numbers, yes? no?

Thanks everyone.

Also, anecdotally heard from a "friend" at NYU that a lot of the RTK-type people he knows actually have lower numbers, since NYU tries very hard to maintain a strong PI sense on campus.

ETA: I'd say if you have a strong story and decent numbers, throw the essay in. I'd also just recommend working on it quickly and getting your app in as soon as possible.
Thanks, do you think the RTK-types are similar to AnBryce in types of stories? I feel like I'm more on the end of numbers being strong and story being ok.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 pm

politics89 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Thanks, do you think the RTK-types are similar to AnBryce in types of stories? I feel like I'm more on the end of numbers being strong and story being ok.
Yeah, I'm just lumping everything together under RTK. I really don't know. I'd say if you meet the qualifications for AnBryce and have the numbers for NYU, then you should apply (assuming you can still get your application out relatively quickly).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”