Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you been admitted?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 364

hellomellow

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby hellomellow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:23 pm

saskia17 wrote:It's pretty vague and doesn't preclude further acceptances.

are you going to remain on their waitlist?

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:31 pm

I have withdrawn my application (still UR). Good luck to those of who are still in the game!

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 pm

bbkk wrote:I have withdrawn my application (still UR). Good luck to those of who are still in the game!

you have amazing options and i wish you the best!

*hurry up stanford, you're losing people

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

bbkk wrote:I have withdrawn my application (still UR). Good luck to those of who are still in the game!

Hamilton > S anyway. Congrats on the cycle!

maghrabi

Postby maghrabi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:34 am

173 days later, turned down.

vuthy

Postby vuthy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:37 am

DLS. Submitted early Jan. Will wait for letter, ye olde style.

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am

DLS. Under review 12/6. ill keep ya'll posted.

edit: rejected....what a ride.
Last edited by W$RKliveWELL on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 am

This is a lot of you..when did you all last check? It's only 6AM in Palo Alto.

also sorry/congrats

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 am

I'm about ready for a DLS. Considered withdrawing, but really had no reason to aside from the gratification I would feel, as a control freak, of having the final say in the matter. I've noticed a lot of January DLSes for the people nice enough to give complete dates...earlier dates seem to still be awaiting the next phase of WL, dings, and "possible" acceptances. Would like to see them dig a little deeper into the fossil records today.

SordidLSATHistory

Postby SordidLSATHistory » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:58 am

Condolences to those who received bad news.

I'm somehow still alive, but at this point it kind of feels like we're playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun. I might go last, but my outcome will be the same as the five people who went before me (though a misfire is still "possible" :wink: :evil: ).

ianfaircloud

Postby ianfaircloud » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am

I'm wondering why anyone would take Stanford over Harvard. I've come up with some reasons. Harvard's class size is too big? You prefer Stanford to Cambridge? Other reasons? For me, it's Yale, Harvard, Stanford, in that order. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Stats are 169 / 3.9x. I applied to law schools really late. Went UR on 1/22 with Stanford. Still under review. I'm actually optimistic about getting admitted, but I may take Penn over Stanford. Stanford is sort of a black letter law school, and I'm interested in legal theory. Also Penn is very close to family. Waiting to hear from Stanford, Chicago, NYU. Admitted to Penn, Cornell. Wait-listed at Columbia, Duke, others.

Edit: I should say that I'm a non-trad with graduate degrees, all 3.9x GPAs. I hear that Stanford likes this sort of thing.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:00 am

ianfaircloud wrote:I'm wondering why anyone would take Stanford over Harvard. I've come up with some reasons. Harvard's class size is too big? You prefer Stanford to Cambridge? Other reasons? For me, it's Yale, Harvard, Stanford, in that order. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Stats are 169 / 3.9x. I applied to law schools really late. Went UR on 1/22 with Stanford. Still under review. I'm actually optimistic about getting admitted, but I may take Penn over Stanford. Stanford is sort of a black letter law school, and I'm interested in legal theory. Also Penn is very close to family. Waiting to hear from Stanford, Chicago, NYU. Admitted to Penn, Cornell. Wait-listed at Columbia, Duke, others.

Can I ask why you're optimistic about getting admitted to Stanford?

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:02 am

i want to post the willy wonka pic but i'm too sleepy still.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:21 am

wealtheow wrote:i want to post the willy wonka pic but i'm too sleepy still.

The joke would really be on us.

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 am

ianfaircloud wrote:I'm wondering why anyone would take Stanford over Harvard. I've come up with some reasons. Harvard's class size is too big? You prefer Stanford to Cambridge? Other reasons? For me, it's Yale, Harvard, Stanford, in that order. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Edit: I should say that I'm a non-trad with graduate degrees, all 3.9x GPAs. I hear that Stanford likes this sort of thing.

I think a lot of people are leaning toward Harvard over Stanford simply because they haven't heard beans from Stanford while Harvard has been courting them for months. That being said...is this a discussion anybody really needs to have? People were talking about the merits of Yale v. Stanford...what can you do? Talk and visit and develop a feeling for each place you are considering. They're all big and fancy and dazzling enough to let you do what you want, within reason, so long as your eyes follow light. It doesn't seem like you have an offer in hand from either Harvard or Stanford though (our consensus is straight admits from Stanford at this point are unlikely), so why do the whole H vs S vs Y finer points of elitism routine when it has no relevance? I'd say your stats would be viewed more favorably by Stanford, taking things in their broadest sense, but April is half over so don't go missing any Penn deadlines over this. The bigger and more worthwhile general discussion is HSY vs. non top 3 schools for cheaper and how much cheaper, that's where people really get serious.

andapieceoftoast

Postby andapieceoftoast » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 am

EquallyWrong wrote:

I think a lot of people are leaning toward Harvard over Stanford simply because they haven't heard beans from Stanford while Harvard has been courting them for months. That being said...is this a discussion anybody really needs to have? People were talking about the merits of Yale v. Stanford...what can you do? Talk and visit and develop a feeling for each place you are considering. They're all big and fancy and dazzling enough to let you do what you want, within reason, so long as your eyes follow light. It doesn't seem like you have an offer in hand from either Harvard or Stanford though (our consensus is straight admits from Stanford at this point are unlikely), so why do the whole H vs S vs Y finer points of elitism routine when it has no relevance? I'd say your stats would be viewed more favorably by Stanford, taking things in their broadest sense, but April is half over so don't go missing any Penn deadlines over this. The bigger and more worthwhile general discussion is HSY vs. non top 3 schools for cheaper and how much cheaper, that's where people really get serious.

So well said Equally.

lawschoolgal90

Postby lawschoolgal90 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:56 am

Not only are they losing people to Yale and Harvard but they are losing candidates with GENEROUS OFFERS from rest of T6, for example, Chicago's Rubies, NYU's AnBryce, Columbia's Hamilton etc. Come on Stanford, work on your timing.

love4life29

Postby love4life29 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 am

Given that they are making us wait til 10 days before deposits are due almost everywhere, I doubt they consider us big losses. Otherwise they would have probably just accepted us earlier with the other 99.9% of the class. According to LSN, approximately the same # of people have been accepted this year already as have been accepted the previous two years.

MrMileyCyrus

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:04 am

God, just give me my WL already, Faye.

Chalupa-Batman

Postby Chalupa-Batman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 am

MrMileyCyrus wrote:God, just give me my WL already, Faye.

I think this now, but it will really only give us till mid-may when we start doing this exact same thing on this thread all over again.

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 am

love4life29 wrote:Given that they are making us wait til 10 days before deposits are due almost everywhere, I doubt they consider us big losses. Otherwise they would have probably just accepted us earlier with the other 99.9% of the class. According to LSN, approximately the same # of people have been accepted this year already as have been accepted the previous two years.

but why hold people till the bitter end?

love4life29

Postby love4life29 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 am

chizzy wrote:
love4life29 wrote:Given that they are making us wait til 10 days before deposits are due almost everywhere, I doubt they consider us big losses. Otherwise they would have probably just accepted us earlier with the other 99.9% of the class. According to LSN, approximately the same # of people have been accepted this year already as have been accepted the previous two years.

but why hold people till the bitter end?

They're probably just deciding between waitlists and rejects, and don't have a lot of incentive to move quickly.

ianfaircloud

Postby ianfaircloud » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 am

andapieceoftoast wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:

So well said Equally.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not confident that Stanford will admit me, but I'm optimistic. I haven't written it off, for sure. It just looks like Stanford likes the non-trads, people with degrees, "experience," etc. I can sense a lot of frustration in this thread on Stanford's taking its time.

Just to be clear: There's no H vs S vs Y thing here. I'm not suggesting that one is *objectively* better than the other. I'm suggesting that, for most people, H is going to be subjectively better than S. Hence my question. Get it? That's why I said, "For me, it's Yale, Harvard, Stanford, in that order." I assumed it's that for most people. But for people who are entertaining a Stanford over a Harvard offer, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 am

ianfaircloud wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not confident that Stanford will admit me, but I'm optimistic. I haven't written it off, for sure. It just looks like Stanford likes the non-trads, people with degrees, "experience," etc. I can sense a lot of frustration in this thread on Stanford's taking its time.

Just to be clear: There's no H vs S vs Y thing here. I'm not suggesting that one is *objectively* better than the other. I'm suggesting that, for most people, H is going to be subjectively better than S. Hence my question. Get it? That's why I said, "For me, it's Yale, Harvard, Stanford, in that order." I assumed it's that for most people. But for people who are entertaining a Stanford over a Harvard offer, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Common Pros: Top 3 LS, Business School, Medical School

Stanford Pros: Smaller Class Size, California Weather, Intellectual Property, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Engineering School, San Francisco

Harvard Pros: Larger Class Size, Reputation, MIT-proximity, Higher Ranking (for now?), Boston

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:33 am

ianfaircloud wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm not confident that Stanford will admit me, but I'm optimistic. I haven't written it off, for sure. It just looks like Stanford likes the non-trads, people with degrees, "experience," etc. I can sense a lot of frustration in this thread on Stanford's taking its time.

Maybe work on your internet tone a bit (see bold text above).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”