Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you been admitted?

Yes
76
21%
No
288
79%
 
Total votes: 364

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby IrishJew » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:12 pm

lastsamurai wrote:I think total...

http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1213

Go to that link, and sort by Decision by clicking on Decision. Go to page 3, and you'll see the decisions start coming out (with Pacifica on 1/9/13). Then if you move over to page 4, you'll see rejections around this week of last year followed by a few acceptances/rejections throughout early March (I counted 12 between now and the end of March with only 4 being non-URM). There were only like 3 more admits after that who avoided the waitlist prior to admission.

Obviously take this with a grain of salt due to reporting bias, but I don't predict us seeing any big waves of admits for the rest of the cycle from SLS.


I'm not sure us waitsters are out of the woods yet, either for good or bad. On that LSN page I counted about 10 pre-January apps accepted between late Feb and April without waitlist. There are also a bunch of rejections...

So I think a lot of us are being held, and some of us will be decided upon in the coming months. But I'm definitely not going to stop hoping until I get a decision. I wish I'd written different essays for Stanford; four months ago it was just another HYS, now I've come to realize how awesome it is. #shouldhaveprocrastinated

ETA I'm sure all of you have seen this timeline chart, but it's a nice visual. Data are pulled from LSN: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
a.sleepyhead
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby a.sleepyhead » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 pm

gobears!! wrote:oh god. if i was waitlisted at SLS i would not be able to accept any of my offers knowing I was that close. I am literally that guy that has the undergrad rejection in a frame...i wish i could send them a snapchat of that and be like "give me love"


Wait, like a literal frame on your desk? Doesn't that just constantly bum you out?

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Post removed.

Postby gobears!! » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jamesta25
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Jamesta25 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Looking at the LSN data from last year, it looks as if many people didn't even hear of waitlist decisions until late April, which is after most first seat deposits are due for other schools. Is this true that some people didn't hear anything until after April 15th in some cases? Not even a "we're still reviewing your application, sit tight" kind of thing?

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:48 pm

How cool has admissions been with e-mailing in updates (resume, new semester GPAs etc.)

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby angels2fly » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Seoulless wrote:How cool has admissions been with e-mailing in updates (resume, new semester GPAs etc.)


Idk what you mean with how cool but i sent an update and was acknowledged the next day

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Word. Contemplating sending an updated resume. First, there's a spacing error. I've got something like

I did this
Then I did this
I did that as well
And That
And Also This


The other updates are increased proficiency in a language, and the completion of a project mentioned in the resume under employment.

What do you guys think?

Loubies
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:50 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Loubies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Do application updates just go to the general law school email?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Seoulless wrote:Word. Contemplating sending an updated resume. First, there's a spacing error. I've got something like

I did this
Then I did this
I did that as well
And That
And Also This


The other updates are increased proficiency in a language, and the completion of a project mentioned in the resume under employment.

What do you guys think?


Not sure what you're talking about re: the spacing error. I think the other two are good as long as you have some way of demonstrating the increased language proficiency (you obtained a new certification, tested at a higher level, completed a course, etc.) as opposed to just going by your word.

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:02 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Seoulless wrote:Word. Contemplating sending an updated resume. First, there's a spacing error. I've got something like

I did this
Then I did this
I did that as well
And That
And Also This


The other updates are increased proficiency in a language, and the completion of a project mentioned in the resume under employment.

What do you guys think?


Not sure what you're talking about re: the spacing error. I think the other two are good as long as you have some way of demonstrating the increased language proficiency (you obtained a new certification, tested at a higher level, completed a course, etc.) as opposed to just going by your word.



Ahhhh. TLS didn't translate the error. It's like these but no periods


..I did this
Then I did this
I did that as well
..And That
And Also This

In other words, a misalignment.

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Post removed.

Postby gobears!! » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JD1776
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby JD1776 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:21 am

Loubies wrote:Do application updates just go to the general law school email?


I sent an update to the admissions email address listed on the status checker: admissions@law.stanford.edu.

They acknowledged receipt by the end of the day.

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 pm

What gets added? Just the attachment or the e-mail too? I have no idea what happened, but skype hijacked my message after I put my phone number in, and the bottom of the msg looked like an ad for skype. Doesn't look very professional.

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Post removed.

Postby gobears!! » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:23 pm

gobears!! wrote:
Seoulless wrote:What gets added? Just the attachment or the e-mail too? I have no idea what happened, but skype hijacked my message after I put my phone number in, and the bottom of the msg looked like an ad for skype. Doesn't look very professional.


depending on updates that you send them, I would think the email gets added. I was told by my GULC interviewer that they keep track of all email correspondence. I do not see why SLS wouldn't either


Eh, that sucks but whatever. Nothing I can do now.

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Post removed.

Postby gobears!! » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gma221
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby gma221 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:14 pm

gobears!! wrote:i am sure they have seen way worse. if anything, they may just think that you work for skype and that it is a work label. I am optimistic that you are in the clear


If it's any consolation, I discovered not one but two typos in my application about a month after I submitted it, despite having proofread it a million times. They were fairly minor ("of" was missing from a sentence in my personal statement, and I got an obscure abbreviation wrong on my resume), but I wanted to throw myself out a window after I found them. Less than a week later, though, I got the acceptance call. Moral of the story: a minor mistake won't completely destroy an otherwise compelling applicant. :)

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby yomisterd » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:45 pm

It has been a whiiiiillleee since we have had some movement, right?

Aren't we due? Come on, SLS....

truckstop
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby truckstop » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Dear Stanford,

I'm sick of cold weather. Please accept me. (Also, I love you for more than your weather, I promise.)

User avatar
rseaney
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby rseaney » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:13 pm

email is a fine medium for an LOCI?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

rseaney wrote:email is a fine medium for an LOCI?


Yep

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Vincent » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm

rseaney wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
angelshare wrote:it appears they are deciding on candidates (non-auto admits) according to submission dates... really hope their admissions process is similar to berk's in terms of holistic-ness.


I feel like SLS might have the most holistic approach of any of the T14



that's funny, i've heard the opposite
my understanding was that stanford is the most numbers -- and specifically gpa -- oriented. then again i havent been rejected yet and i dont have the best numbers so maybe you're right


I'm going to refer you to http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/p/stanford-university-law-school.html, a blog started by another TLSer. In a highly numbers-driven environment, you would expect increased numbers to highly correlate with increased admissions chances. Specifically, every unit increase in your GPA or LSAT should strongly increase your chances of admission.

I haven't linked the other school profiles, but I'll list their results here - you can find the data on their pages on Admissions By the Numbers.

Increase in Odds for 1-pt LSAT Increase (http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/2013/07/ranking-schools-by-lsat-boost.html)
    10. NYU (72.4%)
    15. Georgetown (63.3%)
    41. Duke (54.2%)
    56. Northwestern (46.8%)
    62. Columbia (44.8%)
    63. Harvard (44.4%)
    70. Cornell (42.3%)
    87. Chicago (34.5%)
    91. Penn (31.9%)
    93. UVA (30.6%)
    94. Berkeley (29.3%)
    95. Michigan (27.6%)
    99. Yale (23.8%)
    100. Stanford (19.5%) (dead last on this list)

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby IrishJew » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Vincent wrote:
rseaney wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
angelshare wrote:it appears they are deciding on candidates (non-auto admits) according to submission dates... really hope their admissions process is similar to berk's in terms of holistic-ness.


I feel like SLS might have the most holistic approach of any of the T14



that's funny, i've heard the opposite
my understanding was that stanford is the most numbers -- and specifically gpa -- oriented. then again i havent been rejected yet and i dont have the best numbers so maybe you're right


I'm going to refer you to http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/p/stanford-university-law-school.html, a blog started by another TLSer. In a highly numbers-driven environment, you would expect increased numbers to highly correlate with increased admissions chances. Specifically, every unit increase in your GPA or LSAT should strongly increase your chances of admission.

I haven't linked the other school profiles, but I'll list their results here - you can find the data on their pages on Admissions By the Numbers.

Increase in Odds for 1-pt LSAT Increase (http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/2013/07/ranking-schools-by-lsat-boost.html)
    10. NYU (72.4%)
    15. Georgetown (63.3%)
    41. Duke (54.2%)
    56. Northwestern (46.8%)
    62. Columbia (44.8%)
    63. Harvard (44.4%)
    70. Cornell (42.3%)
    87. Chicago (34.5%)
    91. Penn (31.9%)
    93. UVA (30.6%)
    94. Berkeley (29.3%)
    95. Michigan (27.6%)
    99. Yale (23.8%)
    100. Stanford (19.5%) (dead last on this list)


Maybe I'm missing something here, but your post seems to support, rather than weaken, rseaney's claim. Let's not make an overly broad conclusion. The figures you cite support the claim that Stanford doesn't care much about the LSAT, not that they don't care about numbers.

If you follow the link and look at the analysis for boost per .1 point of GPA it's about 130%, which in the blogger's words: "absolutely dwarfs the T14 average, indicating that Stanford places a whole lot more weight on the GPA than it does on the LSAT."

I don't see a list for all schools, but that is higher than Harvard (109%), Columbia (53%) and NYU (69.5%)--all of which are certainly not "holistic." (These numbers come from the same blog).

All that being said, I have a <<<25 GPA and appear to be "held," so who knows.

ETA According to the same blog the T-14 Average is about 30% (http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... kdown.html)

User avatar
Plainsman11011
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Plainsman11011 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Anyone know the most recent complete date to get a call?

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Vincent » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:57 pm

IrishJew wrote:
Vincent wrote:
rseaney wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
I feel like SLS might have the most holistic approach of any of the T14



that's funny, i've heard the opposite
my understanding was that stanford is the most numbers -- and specifically gpa -- oriented. then again i havent been rejected yet and i dont have the best numbers so maybe you're right


I'm going to refer you to http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/p/stanford-university-law-school.html, a blog started by another TLSer. In a highly numbers-driven environment, you would expect increased numbers to highly correlate with increased admissions chances. Specifically, every unit increase in your GPA or LSAT should strongly increase your chances of admission.

I haven't linked the other school profiles, but I'll list their results here - you can find the data on their pages on Admissions By the Numbers.

Increase in Odds for 1-pt LSAT Increase (http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/2013/07/ranking-schools-by-lsat-boost.html)
    10. NYU (72.4%)
    15. Georgetown (63.3%)
    41. Duke (54.2%)
    56. Northwestern (46.8%)
    62. Columbia (44.8%)
    63. Harvard (44.4%)
    70. Cornell (42.3%)
    87. Chicago (34.5%)
    91. Penn (31.9%)
    93. UVA (30.6%)
    94. Berkeley (29.3%)
    95. Michigan (27.6%)
    99. Yale (23.8%)
    100. Stanford (19.5%) (dead last on this list)


Maybe I'm missing something here, but your post seems to support, rather than weaken, rseaney's claim. Let's not make an overly broad conclusion. The figures you cite support the claim that Stanford doesn't care much about the LSAT, not that they don't care about numbers.

If you follow the link and look at the analysis for boost per .1 point of GPA it's about 130%, which in the blogger's words: "absolutely dwarfs the T14 average, indicating that Stanford places a whole lot more weight on the GPA than it does on the LSAT."

I don't see a list for all schools, but that is higher than Harvard (109%), Columbia (53%) and NYU (69.5%)--all of which are certainly not "holistic." (These numbers come from the same blog).

All that being said, I have a <<<25 GPA and appear to be "held," so who knows.

ETA According to the same blog the T-14 Average is about 30% (http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... kdown.html)


You're right - my post addresses half of his point (about numbers in general, not just GPA). Stanford definitely emphasizes GPA, though if they cared enough to game, they'd have a higher median than Chicago's 3.9X.

There's some other data out there I've read that essentially says numbers in general predict the least well at Yale, Stanford, then Berkeley - I'll have to dig that up sometime.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], henryyou and 11 guests