Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you been admitted?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 364

phillywc

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby phillywc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 am

alex.cm wrote:
phillywc wrote:Got my letter. It was nice enough, at least.

sobbing.gif

<3

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 am

I actually felt like Stanford had the least classy rejection letter of the T10. It doesn't even ask you to consider transferring in you are set on their school. I don't think i would ever consider transferring in but it would be nice to be invited anyway.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 am

The-Specs wrote:

I actually felt like Stanford had the least classy rejection letter of the T10. It doesn't even ask you to consider transferring in you are set on their school. I don't think i would ever consider transferring in but it would be nice to be invited anyway.

That's fair. I only got Berk's otherwise and I had a shot at berk but no shot at Stanford so I guess I read them with that lens.

Mainly I'm just glad its not another waitlist I can't take any more of those.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 am

Mainly I'm just glad its not another waitlist I can't take any more of those.

Amen to that.

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Seoulless wrote:guys - what financial information are accepted/matriculating students *required* to release to the school? Tax returns etc?

I don't understand your question. You're not required to submit any financial information to anyone as long as you can pay your bills. If you want federal loans you need FAFSA, and if you want Stanford to consider you for need-based aid (my understanding is that they have no merit aid) you'll need to submit the information they indicate on their website, typically including parents' financial information.

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:So will dings continue to trickle out or are we expecting more wave-like sequences?

Rejections will continue to be issued until morale improves.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Still waiting on my letter :(

Worst wait...

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Hey everyone,

So I'm in need of some advice. I was accepted to Berkeley, and am going to take an individual visit to the school the week of March 10. I'm planning this now to save money on airfare and hotels. Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to go ahead and visit Stanford while I'm there, but the other part thinks it wouldn't. Here is my though process:

Not being down on myself, but Stanford is a fairly significant reach, and I'm worried that between now and March 10 I'll be rejected. The other part wants to go ahead and visit Stanford while I'm there to save time and money, on the off-chance I'm accepted or waitlisted. This part also remembers reading its sometimes good to make a visit to a school you haven't yet been accepted to because this shows interest and may give you a slight boost. But then I worry it may look weird/presumptous to take a visit and ask all kinds of questions when my application is in reality a long shot!

So what do y'all think? Would it be good or bad to visit without having first been accepted/waitlisted? And does anyone know if Stanford will generally have made most of their decisions by March 10?

Also, I'm sorry to hear about the rejections. I know it's the cliche thing to say, but you all are still amazing people who are going to have many amazing options!

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Workingtitle wrote:Hey everyone,

So I'm in need of some advice. I was accepted to Berkeley, and am going to take an individual visit to the school the week of March 10. I'm planning this now to save money on airfare and hotels. Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to go ahead and visit Stanford while I'm there, but the other part thinks it wouldn't. Here is my though process:

Not being down on myself, but Stanford is a fairly significant reach, and I'm worried that between now and March 10 I'll be rejected. The other part wants to go ahead and visit Stanford while I'm there to save time and money, on the off-chance I'm accepted or waitlisted. This part also remembers reading its sometimes good to make a visit to a school you haven't yet been accepted to because this shows interest and may give you a slight boost. But then I worry it may look weird/presumptous to take a visit and ask all kinds of questions when my application is in reality a long shot!

So what do y'all think? Would it be good or bad to visit without having first been accepted/waitlisted? And does anyone know if Stanford will generally have made most of their decisions by March 10?

Also, I'm sorry to hear about the rejections. I know it's the cliche thing to say, but you all are still amazing people who are going to have many amazing options!

I don't really see the dilemma; what's the downside to visiting Stanford? I mean worst case scenario you visit and you don't get in. Will it cost you considerably more money to visit it now? Are you worried about falsely getting your hopes up?

I mean, let me put it this way: if you would want to visit Stanford if you got in, and this way to do so is much cheaper and easier than it will be at any other point, why wouldn't you just go now? Can you explain your thinking on that?

Also, does anyone know if Stanford gives travel subsidies to visit the school? IIR back in the early 2000's they were doing that for admitted undergrads, no idea if it applies to the law school or if it's still going on.

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

gma221

Postby gma221 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:21 pm

IrishJew wrote:Also, does anyone know if Stanford gives travel subsidies to visit the school? IIR back in the early 2000's they were doing that for admitted undergrads, no idea if it applies to the law school or if it's still going on.

They cover airfare and transportation to/from the airport for admits who attend ASW.

admiringatticus

Postby admiringatticus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Stanford is just a beautiful campus to visit and tour, regardless of whether you are going to go there - it's worth it just for that. I toured it last spring before I had even applied or gotten my LSAT score and loved it.

SupCutie

Postby SupCutie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 pm

admiringatticus wrote:Stanford is just a beautiful campus to visit and tour, regardless of whether you are going to go there - it's worth it just for that. I toured it last spring before I had even applied or gotten my LSAT score and loved it.

It's impressive, I don't know about beautiful.

With that said, there's literally no downside to visiting. Unless you make a tremendous ass out of yourself and they take down your name or something... It's like $10 roundtrip, 3 hours, from Berkeley to Stanford via BART+CalTrain.

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Ok cool thanks for the responses. Haha but I don't think my reasoning about the possible downsides was unreasonable...

The reason I wouldn't go for money is that I would only have to stay in CA for one night if I was just visiting Berk. If I visit Stanford I'll have to stay another night. No, this isn't the worst thing in the world, but its expensive to stay in that part of the country and I'm fairly poor :) I'm worried that I'm going to be rejected to Stanford between now and then, and effectively waste this money. This is why I asked if anyone knows when Stanford will have generally made their decisions. From the chart on page 1 it seems like they wrap it up for the most part in March, but it doesn't distinguish between early March and late March, which is what I'm curious about.

The other thing was I imagine that the admissions office is pretty busy right now, and if I did visit I would want to meet with someone to ask some questions about the school. I could see this annoying an admissions officer, you know, because I'm not even accepted, and I'm wanting to know all this stuff about the school when they are fairly busy.

I guess I just wanted to confirm from you all that it would be ok to take a visit at this time of the year without having been accepted, and see if anyone knows if Stanford wraps things up closer to the beginning of March or end of March.

And I think I'm getting that yes it is ok to visit, so thanks for assuring me of that :)

love4life29

Postby love4life29 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 pm

It seems like Stanford has made calls the last few Fridays, maybe tomorrow??

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Workingtitle wrote:Ok cool thanks for the responses. Haha but I don't think my reasoning about the possible downsides was unreasonable...

The reason I wouldn't go for money is that I would only have to stay in CA for one night if I was just visiting Berk. If I visit Stanford I'll have to stay another night. No, this isn't the worst thing in the world, but its expensive to stay in that part of the country and I'm fairly poor :) I'm worried that I'm going to be rejected to Stanford between now and then, and effectively waste this money. This is why I asked if anyone knows when Stanford will have generally made their decisions. From the chart on page 1 it seems like they wrap it up for the most part in March, but it doesn't distinguish between early March and late March, which is what I'm curious about.

The other thing was I imagine that the admissions office is pretty busy right now, and if I did visit I would want to meet with someone to ask some questions about the school. I could see this annoying an admissions officer, you know, because I'm not even accepted, and I'm wanting to know all this stuff about the school when they are fairly busy.

I guess I just wanted to confirm from you all that it would be ok to take a visit at this time of the year without having been accepted, and see if anyone knows if Stanford wraps things up closer to the beginning of March or end of March.

And I think I'm getting that yes it is ok to visit, so thanks for assuring me of that :)

Both of these bolded points make sense. Thanks for clarifying. Given those objections I would still say go. As for where to stay, if you're smart enough to get in into Berk you're smart enough to figure out how to visit Stanford on a budget. Try Couchsurfing; I bet that part of the country is a gold mine for couchsurfing.

As for having time to talk with them, you won't really be LOSING anything if they can't give you time. If you're admitted it sounds like they'll fly you down for ASW anyway. Why don't you just see when there is a campus tour and regular info session. Or you can call from a payphone through a muffled rag before you go and ask if it's possible to make an appointment to sit down with someone.

It sounds like other than the money issue, you have no reason not to go, and I'm sure if you really want to visit you can find a workaround for that.

hellomellow

Postby hellomellow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:49 pm

*sings to the tune of drake's "successful"* i just wanna get in.. i just wanna get in.. i just want to get in to staaaanford...

Faye, my sweet dear Faye, just call me.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am

So does everyone think that today will be the Red Wedding day?

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:05 am

Changed my ringtone to "Californication" in hopes that it'll bring me good luck today :lol:

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 am

jingosaur wrote:So does everyone think that today will be the Red Wedding day?

if it is, here's hoping we're the ones playing with the band.

JD1776

Postby JD1776 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am

I mean, it's almost March, so it's definitely a real possibility. I'm shocked it has taken this long.

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:15 pm

JD1776 wrote:

I mean, it's almost March, so it's definitely a real possibility. I'm shocked it has taken this long.

Obviously there are many more rejections to come, but to put things in context, I counted 11 February rejections so far on LSN and there's still a week left. Last year there were 17 February rejections on LSN.

JD1776

Postby JD1776 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:26 pm

IrishJew wrote:
JD1776 wrote:

Obviously there are many more rejections to come, but to put things in context, I counted 11 February rejections so far on LSN and there's still a week left. Last year there were 17 February rejections on LSN.

Thanks for digging. I guess this could just be their usual pace.

rseaney

Postby rseaney » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:28 pm

you should definitely go. I live in Berkeley and Palo Alto is like a 50 minutes away via public transit. seem's like theres not much tradeoff, and you'll just see another impressive west coast campus

btw Berk>Stanfurd

Jessasaurus

Postby Jessasaurus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

So seems like nothing is happening today? Actually nevermind, I always forget they are three hours behind and still have plenty of time left in the day....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”