Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you been admitted?

Yes
76
21%
No
288
79%
 
Total votes: 364

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 pm

On the spreadsheet how would you guys feel about color-coding instead of > and <? Something like color the cell green for >75th percentile and color the cell red for <25th percentile.

sasquatchsam
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby sasquatchsam » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me :)

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:Bump to keep this the biggest applicant thread.


This will definitely not last. You'll be lucky to have 1/3 the pages HLS has by next May... but its cute that you think that you can make a difference

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:36 am

Wow that is an impressive Google Docs Roster. Thanks for the motivation to keep studying hard for October :lol:

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Sourrudedude » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:Bump to keep this the biggest applicant thread.


This will definitely not last. You'll be lucky to have 1/3 the pages HLS has by next May... but its cute that you think that you can make a difference

A man can dream. A man can dream.

0913djp
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby 0913djp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 am

Checking in for a shot at a waitlist.

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Vincent » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:Bump to keep this the biggest applicant thread.


This will definitely not last. You'll be lucky to have 1/3 the pages HLS has by next May... but its cute that you think that you can make a difference


What if we turned this into a Video Game thread?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9639
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Vincent wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:Bump to keep this the biggest applicant thread.


This will definitely not last. You'll be lucky to have 1/3 the pages HLS has by next May... but its cute that you think that you can make a difference


What if we turned this into a Video Game thread?


The nature of the application process dictates that Stanford falls pace.. The biggest topic of 2012-2013 was the status checker malfunction and the lower case/upper case. Scraps to feed hungry aging hounds when compared to HLS JS1s, JS2s, holds, JS1b's, ect. This is the life of a stanford applicant.. You wait day in and day out for months with no sign, and all of a sudden a single phone call could seal your fate.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:59 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:58 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:00 pm

The-Specs wrote:Vincent,

Can you talk a little about your application from last year. I hope this isn't offensive but 3.6 and a 172 aren't exactly killer SLS numbers. What were your softs like? Where you waitlisted first? I guess what I am asking is how did you do it with a 3.6 GPA? I have a slighly lower GPA than that and a much better LSAT and I am sure I am going to get dinged right of the gate. Anyway, you are obviously the man (or the woman?). Good for you.


Also interested in this.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:07 pm

The-Specs wrote:Also, is anyone planning on sending a Why Stanford Statement?


lol, as if they need to know why we want them.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby The-Specs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 pm

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 pm

The-Specs wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Also, is anyone planning on sending a Why Stanford Statement?


lol, as if they need to know why we want them.


Hahaha, Right? The advantage that I see in writing one is that it allows you to speak about what you hope to do with your law degree. Granted some could do that in their PS but I didn't and I figured this would be a good way.


do your thing brah. I can see an IP focused essay making sense here

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:43 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Vincent,

Can you talk a little about your application from last year. I hope this isn't offensive but 3.6 and a 172 aren't exactly killer SLS numbers. What were your softs like? Where you waitlisted first? I guess what I am asking is how did you do it with a 3.6 GPA? I have a slighly lower GPA than that and a much better LSAT and I am sure I am going to get dinged right of the gate. Anyway, you are obviously the man (or the woman?). Good for you.


Also interested in this.


Vincent, FWIW, I think you are worthy of an SLS education. Ignore the hate!!

Just remember that a lot of people are going to think that focusing on IP is the best way to get into SLS. If you don't have an IP-oriented background, the adcom will probably calls BS (and by calls BS, I mean sends you a ding in April). Just make sure that your application has a strong thread - several of the people I s/w at ASW mentioned that they focused on that aspect of their app. Have a disjointed application where a PS tries to swing an IP background that isn't supported by the rest of your application/LORs/resume will probably do more harm than good

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Vincent » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Vincent,

Can you talk a little about your application from last year. I hope this isn't offensive but 3.6 and a 172 aren't exactly killer SLS numbers. What were your softs like? Where you waitlisted first? I guess what I am asking is how did you do it with a 3.6 GPA? I have a slighly lower GPA than that and a much better LSAT and I am sure I am going to get dinged right of the gate. Anyway, you are obviously the man (or the woman?). Good for you.


Also interested in this.


Vincent, FWIW, I think you are worthy of an SLS education. Ignore the hate!!

Just remember that a lot of people are going to think that focusing on IP is the best way to get into SLS. If you don't have an IP-oriented background, the adcom will probably calls BS (and by calls BS, I mean sends you a ding in April). Just make sure that your application has a strong thread - several of the people I s/w at ASW mentioned that they focused on that aspect of their app. Have a disjointed application where a PS tries to swing an IP background that isn't supported by the rest of your application/LORs/resume will probably do more harm than good


Thanks MOTM; I like you too! :D

Can you talk a little about your application from last year.


Sure, I'll do my best! What specific questions (other than the ones asked) do you guys have?

I hope this isn't offensive but 3.6 and a 172 aren't exactly killer SLS numbers.


It's not; I totally agree. Stanford was a super-reach on my part; I basically went into my cycle hoping for one T-14 offer.

What were your softs like?

Nothing too special. I effectively was a K-JD, though I did plan on taking a semester off (graduated in 4.5 years due to my declaration of a second major during my senior year). I was a dual-STEM major (this line, coupled with my handle, basically gives me away; all my friends who have figured me out have a good laugh over this). I conducted research in the biological sciences, did some teaching, and led a couple of on-campus organizations. The only "stereotypical pre-law" items in my background were two winter externships in the field.

Where you waitlisted first? [sic]

Nope; got the call on Saturday, April 6 while rock-climbing and museum-hopping in San Francisco. May have embarrassed myself on the phone with Faye. One of the happiest days of my life, though; I hope she forgives me :)

I guess what I am asking is how did you do it with a 3.6 GPA?


GPA isn't everything, I guess. Like MOTM and others have mentioned in various threads, I definitely had a strong theme in my application. What I tried to do was evaluate my own profile objectively, and address concerns that I/adcomms might have about my path and strengths/weaknesses. For example, due to my background, "Why Law?" was a theme. I also felt that I had to prove I had some writing skills - you could say STEM people tend to be viewed as slightly weaker on that front. I maxed out on recommendations, as well. While STEM set me apart, it also probably threw me into a "pool" against other scientists with PhD's in my field(s) - a field where I objectively come out behind. While my background would seemingly fit for an IP career, I also had a ton of other interests, which I talked about a bit as well.

Tl;dr: Just lucky, I guess :)

I have a slighly lower GPA than that and a much better LSAT and I am sure I am going to get dinged right of the gate.


I felt that way too. You never know, right? :D

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby The-Specs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:45 am

.
Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LoveforLaw341
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 3:47 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby LoveforLaw341 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Checking in :) Top choice!

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Vincent » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Just FYI: the 2014 ABA-LSAC Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools can be found athttps://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx.

Stanford's data can be found at
https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_Info/ABA_LawSchoolData.aspx?sid=142

This data might be interesting to some:

GPA and LSAT Scores
Total Full-Time Part-Time
# of applicants 3,966 3,966 0
# of offers 384 384 0
# of matrics 180 180 0
75% GPA 3.96 3.96 0.00
Median GPA 3.86 3.86 0.00
25% GPA 3.76 3.76 0.00
75% LSAT 173 173 0
Median LSAT 170 170 0
25% LSAT 168 168 0

whynot123
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby whynot123 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 am

Vincent wrote:Just FYI: the 2014 ABA-LSAC Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools can be found athttps://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx.

Stanford's data can be found at
https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_Info/ABA_LawSchoolData.aspx?sid=142

This data might be interesting to some:

GPA and LSAT Scores
Total Full-Time Part-Time
# of applicants 3,966 3,966 0
# of offers 384 384 0
# of matrics 180 180 0
75% GPA 3.96 3.96 0.00
Median GPA 3.86 3.86 0.00
25% GPA 3.76 3.76 0.00
75% LSAT 173 173 0
Median LSAT 170 170 0
25% LSAT 168 168 0



Thanks for the info Vincent!

sasquatchsam
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby sasquatchsam » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:54 am

Sourrudedude I had a dream (premonition?) that you got into Yale and Stanford in the first round of admits...and I got into Michigan. I can't even get into Stanford in my dreams! :D

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:02 am

I'm so glad I haven't had any law school related dreams since having to do real-life(real dream life, that is) logic games.

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Sourrudedude » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:27 am

sasquatchsam wrote:Sourrudedude I had a dream (premonition?) that you got into Yale and Stanford in the first round of admits...and I got into Michigan. I can't even get into Stanford in my dreams! :D


Glad to know that your subconscious has faith in me.


Vincent, thanks for the info. I'll try to add something to the front page when I'm on a desktop.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby charlie.black » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Checking in. So I know the DS is optional, but is it optional?

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm

charlie.black wrote:Checking in. So I know the DS is optional, but is it optional?


Very optional - but only if other parts of your application make it clear how you would add a different perspective to the entering class. SLS is all about a class of diverse experiences.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 4 guests