Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you been admitted?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 366

drawstring

Gold

Re: Stanford c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Post by drawstring » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:36 pm

As for numbers, SLS certainly isn't the most numbers driven of the T14. If they were, there is no doubt they'd have a higher LSAT median. They are clearly not splitter friendly though, and maybe in that sense your numbers have to be more well-rounded than they would need to be at some other top schools.

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 pm

drawstring wrote:As for numbers, SLS certainly isn't the most numbers driven of the T14. If they were, there is no doubt they'd have a higher LSAT median. They are clearly not splitter friendly though, and maybe in that sense your numbers have to be more well-rounded than they would need to be at some other top schools.
fair point. I suppose what I meant more precisely is that they're numbers driven in the sense that they care about a particular number, namely GPA.

but perhaps I'm off -- I'm down to be haha cuz my assessment would preclude my admission

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

controo

New

Post by controo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Got the call earlier today! I'm still in shock.

If you guys want more specific info about my stats/app, feel free to PM me.

xmbeckham

New

Post by xmbeckham » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:
love4life29 wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:In just now by phone/email. Got a voicemail suddenly on my phone without any actual call coming through. Reception was horrible. Dean Deal left a message that didn't say anything about admission but she said she'd follow it up with an email so I freak out and try to check my application status on my phone. Sure enough I can't log on because for some reason the status checker only works with internet explorer. While trying to log in, the email comes through. Curse you AT&T.
Congrats!! What was your complete date?
Don't know as I wasn't really following the dates because the status checker was really pissing me off on my end. Super late though. I submitted my app like 2/01-2/02. I'm 173/3.9x URM though so I don't know how much that will help.
Congrats auto-admit! This date, what else can I say?
Is there another way of knowing if I've been rejected besides checking the status everyday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kobaine51

Bronze

Post by Kobaine51 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:33 pm

xmbeckham wrote: Is there another way of knowing if I've been rejected besides checking the status everyday?
If a decision letter is sent, you'll receive a decision letter. Otherwise you'll get a call.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 am

Hmmm.

I'm a late October applicant.

No DLS, no call. Wondering where I stand right now...

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:47 am

Instinctive wrote:Hmmm.

Right there with ya, early September applicant here.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:48 am

graphia wrote:

Early October here. I'm thinking that we're likely waitlists unfortunately, but she might pull a few of us - like 2-5 - during the first weeks of March and the first weeks of April if last year is any indication (basing this on lsn)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyvel

New

Post by nyvel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:44 am

Hey guys, I REALLY need some advice. I'm going to visit SLS tomorrow and do an informational interview. I know this isn't a real, formal interview, but has anyone done one? If so, what do I wear? I'm obviously not going to show up in ripped pants and a t-shirt, but is it informal enough for jeans and a nice blouse? Perhaps black jeans? Or is it actual interview attire? Thanks!!

cesium

Bronze

Post by cesium » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am

nyvel wrote:Hey guys, I REALLY need some advice. I'm going to visit SLS tomorrow and do an informational interview. I know this isn't a real, formal interview, but has anyone done one? If so, what do I wear? I'm obviously not going to show up in ripped pants and a t-shirt, but is it informal enough for jeans and a nice blouse? Perhaps black jeans? Or is it actual interview attire? Thanks!!
Generally, you should wear what you expect your interviewers to be wearing (or slightly better) to show respect for them and for yourself. You don't need to wear full business attire, but at least wear professional clothing, so avoid jeans and sneakers.

PM me for more info/details.
Last edited by cesium on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am

nyvel wrote:Hey guys, I REALLY need some advice. I'm going to visit SLS tomorrow and do an informational interview. I know this isn't a real, formal interview, but has anyone done one? If so, what do I wear? I'm obviously not going to show up in ripped pants and a t-shirt, but is it informal enough for jeans and a nice blouse? Perhaps black jeans? Or is it actual interview attire? Thanks!!
I personally always err on the side of more dressy rather than less, it can't really hurt, unless they think you are super uptight because of it, but just let your personality show that's not the case..

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:15 pm

They...let you do an informational interview? :shock: brb, booking flight to Palo Alto

If it were me, I wouldn't wear a full suit, but I'd probably wear something like a pencil skirt with an office-appropriate sweater (so the dreaded "business casual"). Good luck!

eta: or dress pants with a blouse, etc. A suit jacket might be a bit much, but you could do a blazer with a pencil skirt without seeming too formal, I think.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyvel

New

Post by nyvel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:27 pm

koalacity wrote: If it were me, I wouldn't wear a full suit, but I'd probably wear something like a pencil skirt with an office-appropriate sweater (so the dreaded "business casual"). Good luck!

eta: or dress pants with a blouse, etc. A suit jacket might be a bit much, but you could do a blazer with a pencil skirt without seeming too formal, I think.

But actually.... having worked in a lawfirm for so long, I don't even understand what casual is anymore (you mean everyone doesn't wear pencil skirts to the bar?? Interesting...)

nyvel

New

Post by nyvel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips - hugely helpful, much appreciated!

nyvel

New

Post by nyvel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:29 pm

And on the informational interview thing - apparently it gives you NO leg up really, but it's a way to let them know you took the time to visit the school. Personally, I'm visiting family out there and wanted to see Berekeley and Stanford so I don't have to lug back out for ASWs (on the off-chance I'm invited to those!)

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:30 pm

nyvel wrote:
koalacity wrote: If it were me, I wouldn't wear a full suit, but I'd probably wear something like a pencil skirt with an office-appropriate sweater (so the dreaded "business casual"). Good luck!

But actually.... having worked in a lawfirm for so long, I don't even understand what casual is anymore (you mean everyone doesn't wear pencil skirts to the bar?? Interesting...)

I'm literally wearing jeans and a t-shirt to work. #californialyfe #sloppy

At least you have all the outfits you need for your law firm SAs!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FanOfPosner

New

Post by FanOfPosner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:36 pm

This is easier if you're a woman. Whenever I don't know what to wear I go with a simple dress with a casual blazer or jacket. Looks maybe dressy, maybe just being fashionable.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
graphia wrote:

Early October here. I'm thinking that we're likely waitlists unfortunately, but she might pull a few of us - like 2-5 - during the first weeks of March and the first weeks of April if last year is any indication (basing this on lsn)
Do you mean 2-5 overall during that period, or 2-5 per each bunch over that period?

Frozinite

New

Post by Frozinite » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 pm

thewaves wrote:
nyvel wrote:

I'm literally wearing jeans and a t-shirt to work. #californialyfe #sloppy

At least you have all the outfits you need for your law firm SAs!
Haha! I hear ya. I have to redo my entire wardrobe. The only two times I've worn anything formal in my adult life was job interview and my wedding. It's been jeans and t-shirt straight through the last 6 years.

gobears!!

Gold

Post removed.

Post by gobears!! » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
graphia wrote:

I really, really hope this is true. I've semi-resigned myself to not hearing anything until April based on last year's thread.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 pm

drawstring wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
graphia wrote:

Do you mean 2-5 overall during that period, or 2-5 per each bunch over that period?
I think total...

http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1213

Go to that link, and sort by Decision by clicking on Decision. Go to page 3, and you'll see the decisions start coming out (with Pacifica on 1/9/13). Then if you move over to page 4, you'll see rejections around this week of last year followed by a few acceptances/rejections throughout early March (I counted 12 between now and the end of March with only 4 being non-URM). There were only like 3 more admits after that who avoided the waitlist prior to admission.

Obviously take this with a grain of salt due to reporting bias, but I don't predict us seeing any big waves of admits for the rest of the cycle from SLS.

Chalupa-Batman

Bronze

Post by Chalupa-Batman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Just tried to pull up my status checker and realized I searched my inbox for dls.

I'm subconsciously resigned to my fate.

bbkk

Silver

Post by bbkk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:11 pm

lastsamurai wrote: Obviously take this with a grain of salt due to reporting bias, but I don't predict us seeing any big waves of admits for the rest of the cycle from SLS.
:( :( :( Might be true, but sounds so depressing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”