Ditching housing/a lease if you get off a WL

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
testaker

Ditching housing/a lease if you get off a WL

Postby testaker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi all,

I originally posted the below question in a specific wait list thread but thought that it actually might be applicable to people from many different schools. I'd guess the only exceptions are people who have signed leases in college towns (do think the question is more applicable when dealing with large city landlords), or those who opted to live in university-owned housing at the schools at which they deposited, so as to avoid this issue.

Basically, for those who have decided to stick it out on a WL (at least til this point), what do you plan on doing about housing at the school at which you've deposited? (Again, excluding university-owned housing).

Are you signing a lease somewhere, and hoping you can "get out of it" with your landlord if you get tapped by your dream school and can no longer live in that city? If it were a matter of losing just a security deposit, I guess I wouldn't be as worried, but if the landlord tries to somehow sue or hold me to the full length of the lease - regardless of attempts made to help them find a new tenant, etc - that could get hairy.

On the flip side, I've waited to secure housing for this long, and feel like I need to wrap it up now so I don't get screwed in the event that I end up matriculating where I've already deposited.

What are everyone's thoughts/plans? Thanks!

VandyorNothing

Re: Ditching housing/a lease if you get off a WL

Postby VandyorNothing » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 am

Usually if you break a lease you just lose the security deposit and if you had to pay the first month's rent up front then you'd lose that too. Highly unlikely that a landlord would sue you. You would also have the option of subleasing your place if you did not want to break a lease.

lawschoolwoohoo

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 am

A lot of reviews of apartment complexes let you know how easy they are on breaking leases. Some places can be really strict, and don't let you out of contracts easily. The place I'm looking at is like that, so my family and I discussed it, and as I am on a waitlist for a school that is only 3 slots above the school I have already committed to attend with $$, and we decided that as soon as I officially sign the lease, I will pull off the waitlist. I would look into apartments in the area where you are hoping to live, and then speak with the landlords, or if possible, current or past tenants, about lease agreements and the severity of those agreements. Best of luck! You could also consider putting a security deposit down without signing a lease. I did that in April so that I could try to get off the waitlist for that one elusive school (clearly, it didn't work, so I'm jumping ship and signing my lease June 30). The security deposit plan did buy me some time however.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:48 am

I paid the security deposit at an apartment two weeks before getting off the WL at my current school. I just called them and they didn't have a problem with cancelling the lease but obviously I lost the deposit. Can't say every apartment complex will be this easy but I doubt you'll have much trouble.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:37 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:A lot of reviews of apartment complexes let you know how easy they are on breaking leases. Some places can be really strict, and don't let you out of contracts easily. The place I'm looking at is like that, so my family and I discussed it, and as I am on a waitlist for a school that is only 3 slots above the school I have already committed to attend with $$, and we decided that as soon as I officially sign the lease, I will pull off the waitlist. I would look into apartments in the area where you are hoping to live, and then speak with the landlords, or if possible, current or past tenants, about lease agreements and the severity of those agreements. Best of luck! You could also consider putting a security deposit down without signing a lease. I did that in April so that I could try to get off the waitlist for that one elusive school (clearly, it didn't work, so I'm jumping ship and signing my lease June 30). The security deposit plan did buy me some time however.

I am doing this almost to the letter. My complex is taking a great deal of time getting the lease to me, luckily, but I do have a deposit down. As soon as I sign, I am withdrawing from the WLs I am on. I think I am able to delay signing until approx. July 15th though since my deposit has reserved the unit for me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”