Schools Threatening You To Withdraw From Other Schools

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bnghle234

Schools Threatening You To Withdraw From Other Schools

Postby bnghle234 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:35 am

Okay, so this may have been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I have received a few emails from schools I have been excepted to asking me to withdraw my commitment to any other school or else they will possibly give up my seat and/or take away my scholarship $$$. Can schools do this, or are they empty threats? I'm waiting out one waitlist, and it looks like they are not dipping into it until July. I really don't want to withdraw at this point, but am a little nervous about getting my scholarship offers taken away at other schools.

nickb285

Re: Schools Threatening You To Withdraw From Other Schools

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:44 am

They are allowed to make your scholarship/seat contingent on your withdrawal, yes. Double check to make sure that they require you to withdraw from waitlists before doing anything. My school required me to withdraw all acceptances and pending applications in order to accept the scholarship offer, but I didn't have to remove myself from waitlists.

bnghle234

Postby bnghle234 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:59 am

In their words, "we respectfully request you to withdraw your commitments to all other law schools." To me, that would include waitlists. Thoughts?

Magnalum

Postby Magnalum » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:04 pm

No that does not include wait lists.

It seems as though you have deposited at multiple schools or deposited at a school without first withdrawing from other schools to which you've been accepted, hence their email. So fix that situation.

But they can't make you withdraw from schools that have not yet accepted you.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Schools can only ask you to withdraw from places where you've received a decision. Being on the waitlist means that you haven't received a decision.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:10 pm

As noted, it does not include waitlists. Schools are prohibited from making offers/scholarships stipulating that you must withdraw from waitlists. Remaining on one does not constitute a "commitment."

The stipulation you're referring to is withdrawing any deposit you have at any other school.

bnghle234

Postby bnghle234 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Cool, thanks for clarifying!

cnk

Postby cnk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Last edited by cnk on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:11 am

cnk wrote:Does anyone know if this "double depositing" rule also applies if you're admitted from a WL? So lets say you deposit at school A now you get off the WL at school B and want to deposit there, do you have to withdraw from school A?

I know lsac notifies schools of applicants who have committed to their school and others around May 15th so after all first deposits but what about after this?

Yes, if you put down a deposit at School B after mid-May, you need to immediately withdraw from School A. Otherwise you risk being involuntarily withdrawn from both schools. LSAC's notification program is continuous and, as I understand it, roughly immediate. So when you deposit at School B, School A would probably know by the next day.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”