Need your help TLSers! I have decided to retake but unsure Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ponyboy7

New

Need your help TLSers! I have decided to retake but unsure

Post by ponyboy7 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:42 pm

I applied for this cycle of law school and I’m having trouble deciding where to go and whether I should retake and reapply next year.

My GPA is 2.9 (3.1) I got a 160 on my lsat. A little known private ug in Texas. I am Latino. I have a variety of pretty good softs including steering committee of a major US labor rights nonprofit, internship with a state senator, internship with a Latino political nonprofit org in DC, a internship in Bolivia with a international relations think tank, a year’s work as a paralegal, a continuing education certificate from the Washington Center, and president of my schools mock OAS.

I applied to law schools in my range from top 30 to 60 knowing I was not having much luck with my numbers. I was accepted in AU WCL, Loyola LA, Cardozo, Tulane and a few others. Most with modest scholarships. For the longest time I have been between American University and Loyola and I’ve even payed down payment for both. I have been aware of the state of law schools and the law market and the risk of debt in going to either of these schools. Being a frequent TLS reader I have read all the bad reviews and criticisms of these lower ranked institutions. For some reason, just like many other TLSers, I ignored all the information plain in front of me, feeling that I have to go to school now, and that things for me would be different for me(My dad owns his own law business that I could fall back on, and being relatively privileged my parents will help me pay my loans). I have been committed to going to law school now until a few days ago when I saw the new 2014 rankings. For some reason seeing the schools I plan to go to precipitously drop in ranking snapped me out of my delusions :shock: . Now I am pretty sure that I want to retake and reapply but I want to know what my fellow TLSers think.

I am pretty certain with more study time I can greatly improve my score, but will that really help me get into a better school with my abysmal GPA? If I got a 170 or 175 what school would I be looking at? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

helix23

Gold

Re: Need your help TLSers! I have decided to retake but unsure

Post by helix23 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:45 pm

You should move this thread to the What Are My Chances section.

ponyboy7

New

Post by ponyboy7 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Cool. Thank you. I'll delete this one once I post there.

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Thu May 09, 2013 2:46 pm

UVa and Northwestern are both known to be splitter friendly... maybe WUSTL too

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm

With a 172+ you'd be looking strong for NU, retake Oct.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”