Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
38
48%
yes
22
28%
yes
20
25%
 
Total votes: 80

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:59 am

sinfiery wrote:You stay on the waitlist because you might get accepted and attend in the right circumstances.

Agreed. You don't owe anything to other applicants. Mono initially seemed pretty sure he wouldn't attend, developments after it became a choice swayed him. No reason to cut yourself out of making a decision before you have it :)

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:05 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
sinfiery wrote:You stay on the waitlist because you might get accepted and attend in the right circumstances.

Agreed. You don't owe anything to other applicants. Mono initially seemed pretty sure he wouldn't attend, developments after it became a choice swayed him. No reason to cut yourself out of making a decision before you have it :)



now that THAT is out of our system.....TODAY IS THE DAY I hope. at least one person! something, something has to move! :mrgreen:

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:09 pm

scoutmaster wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
sinfiery wrote:You stay on the waitlist because you might get accepted and attend in the right circumstances.

Agreed. You don't owe anything to other applicants. Mono initially seemed pretty sure he wouldn't attend, developments after it became a choice swayed him. No reason to cut yourself out of making a decision before you have it :)



now that THAT is out of our system.....TODAY IS THE DAY I hope. at least one person! something, something has to move! :mrgreen:


That's the spirit!

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 pm

But seriously can someone call...

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby bincognito » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Stuck at work or I would do it

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:34 pm

sinfiery wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
It takes 3 seconds to tell them you won't attend once you're already on the phone . It realistically takes a much longer time to phone tag and then determine $ allocations.

How's it self-serving to prolong your own final determination (whether admit or reject)? That's done at the expense of everyone involved including yourself.


Your argument specifies nothing about the thing at contention here, IE: Asking for X if accepted. It was said that if you wouldn't 100% attend, you shouldn't stay on the waitlist because they will very likely not meet your obligations. Well, if that is the case, then it will literally take 3 seconds once on the phone for them to render a decision. In fact, you concede that they may match the obligation by stating the added time period for money allocations to take place. So maybe that's why it's self-serving?

Your argument more specifically attacks why anyone would stay on a waitlist once accepted to another school. You stay on the waitlist because you might get accepted and attend in the right circumstances.


This assumes that the positive value of the very, very small chance you might get sufficient aid in July outweighs the negative stress or any bureaucratic difficulties from staying on. From a purely utilitarian point of view, yes, you should never drop off the waitlist, as there's no tangible advantage to doing so. But many people drop off waitlists when they want to "just move on with their lives", so to speak.

Raymond112909
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:59 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Raymond112909 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:20 pm

That being said if you are not going to attend I hope you notified columbia in the response form and did not stay on the wait list. For those of you that are dropping out thank you for increasing our chances and good luck wherever you go!!

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 pm

scoutmaster wrote:But seriously can someone call...


+1

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:34 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:But seriously can someone call...


+1


+1

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:50 pm

guys do you actually think there is even the tiniest chance of someone (even just one person) still getting in at this point? 7 weekdays from registration/orientation?

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:07 pm

scoutmaster wrote:guys do you actually think there is even the tiniest chance of someone (even just one person) still getting in at this point? 7 weekdays from registration/orientation?


I don't remember which thread I read this in, but someone said WLs are active after August 1 as a mere formality. My endurance is withering (especially after a gloomy update from Gtown), but I'll stick around...

Raymond112909
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:59 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Raymond112909 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:02 pm

so has this officially a dead thread??

BigZuck
Posts: 10881
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby BigZuck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Raymond112909 wrote:so has this officially a dead thread??


wat

skprowler
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby skprowler » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:47 am

I would go to Columbia in a heartbeat. But wtf happens to all the housing and tuition costs i'm about to have to pay for where I'm going. Like its such a hard thing to justify, but somehow I would want to make it work out. I'm already going to be screwed on loans and savings raidings. And you know there will be one to a few that get that call still.

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Rlabo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 am

skprowler wrote:I would go to Columbia in a heartbeat. But wtf happens to all the housing and tuition costs i'm about to have to pay for where I'm going. Like its such a hard thing to justify, but somehow I would want to make it work out. I'm already going to be screwed on loans and savings raidings. And you know there will be one to a few that get that call still.


And ths is why I am yet to sign a lease :oops:

jsjd1989
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby jsjd1989 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 am

How does it even work with loans? Can you just switch it over or something or is it extremely annoying? I didn't even think about this aspect (probably because I highly doubt I'll be getting the call...) haha

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:36 am

Final decisions will allegedly be sent out next week acc to admissions....

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:13 am

gbelle wrote:Final decisions will allegedly be sent out next week acc to admissions....

Were they specific about when in the week? This might just mean once they confirm enrollment at orientation.

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:24 am

lunaraeon wrote:
gbelle wrote:Final decisions will allegedly be sent out next week acc to admissions....

Were they specific about when in the week? This might just mean once they confirm enrollment at orientation.


If I remember correctly, August 15

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:49 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
gbelle wrote:Final decisions will allegedly be sent out next week acc to admissions....

Were they specific about when in the week? This might just mean once they confirm enrollment at orientation.


If I remember correctly, August 15

Hoping for the best for you guys. The 15th is orientation first day, so I guess they would know if they need any final tweaks to the class at that point.

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:43 am

lunaraeon wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
gbelle wrote:Final decisions will allegedly be sent out next week acc to admissions....

Were they specific about when in the week? This might just mean once they confirm enrollment at orientation.


If I remember correctly, August 15

Hoping for the best for you guys. The 15th is orientation first day, so I guess they would know if they need any final tweaks to the class at that point.


Thanks! Fingers crossed!

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby bincognito » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 am

Who was asked if they would be a member of the class of 2017? Bc I'm totally willing to do that just not sure how it would work or if I can even tell them that

Raymond112909
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:59 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Raymond112909 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 pm

^^does that really happen?

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby bincognito » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:29 pm

I thought someone was asked during a call

turkeychess
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby turkeychess » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 pm

Am I the only person who hasn't heard yet? And do we necessarily get phone calls (as opposed to emails)? Orientation is on Thursday, and at this point I'm worried that I won't hear back until literally the day before actual classes start.

Also-- I was added to the SECOND reserve group on June 20th, and haven't heard anything from them since, other than an email saying they'd received my second LOCI last week. I hadn't heard anything about a third reserve group until I started going through this thread today. Does anyone have any idea what that means?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: genjustice, mm2368, TudoBem and 9 guests