Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
38
48%
yes
22
28%
yes
20
25%
 
Total votes: 80

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 pm

StillIll wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
StillIll wrote:Um, not to provide any false hope, but there should be a spot opening up... someone withdrew recently. Not sure if they'll jump to fill it or let it set, but still.


Thanks for the update. Are you able to tell us how you know? I'm assuming the directory remains closed..maybe not. Also, if the class is overfilled, they may be able to afford some drops without extending new offers. Hoping for the best!


We just know the kid from TLS and he let a few of us know. Got my fingers crossed for you... your dedication here has been pretty impressive


Thanks so much for the update. Love how this has become a team effort.

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby bincognito » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:56 pm

So will columbia try to replace his stats or is it more like an open spot? I'm still unsure about how this works

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

bincognito wrote:So will columbia try to replace his stats or is it more like an open spot? I'm still unsure about how this works


We don't know. None of us are sure how this works either.

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby ht2988 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bincognito wrote:So will columbia try to replace his stats or is it more like an open spot? I'm still unsure about how this works


We don't know. None of us are sure how this works either.


Do we know what his stats are?

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:13 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bincognito wrote:So will columbia try to replace his stats or is it more like an open spot? I'm still unsure about how this works


We don't know. None of us are sure how this works either.


I'm pretty sure it works like this:
http://charitygbiblestudies.files.wordp ... e-claw.png

puppiespaws
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby puppiespaws » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Anyone planning on submitting another LOCI for third reserve? I might, but the only things I have to say reek of desperation lol.

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:59 pm

ht2988 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bincognito wrote:So will columbia try to replace his stats or is it more like an open spot? I'm still unsure about how this works


We don't know. None of us are sure how this works either.


Do we know what his stats are?

It took me a while to dredge his past posts, haha, but he was in with a scholarship ($25K/year), and stats were 3.78/172.

I believe they try to replace with a similar candidate. That can be stats, but it can also be his state, his major, his background, anything really. Replacing the stats will almost certainly be all that matters if it was holding a median for them.

I'm pretty certain they're not overenrolled. Last we knew they were below last year's class size, but they had added a large number very recently. That speaks to targeting a size. Either way, pretty certain the open spot is a spot they'll want to fill. (Good luck, ht, and everyone else. :))

puppiespaws wrote:Anyone planning on submitting another LOCI for third reserve? I might, but the only things I have to say reek of desperation lol.

If you've told them you'll stay on until orientation and would attend if admitted at any time, then there's not much to add if you don't have anything new. Definitely wouldn't do a big LOCI, but a short email restating your intent to attend (like, "As we enter August, I am writing to reiterate ...") wouldn't harm you, I imagine, unless that's info you've very recently told them.

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:04 pm

is there any indication that this mystery man was a urm?

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:05 pm

i have also been curious...is anyone else still waitlisted at a T3 or chicago in addition to columbia

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:16 pm

scoutmaster wrote:is there any indication that this mystery man was a urm?

There's every indication that he's not.

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:43 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:is there any indication that this mystery man was a urm?

There's every indication that he's not.


thanks

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby dsn32 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm

scoutmaster wrote:i have also been curious...is anyone else still waitlisted at a T3 or chicago in addition to columbia


I'm on Columbia and Chicago WL right now, so I assume that isn't uncommon.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:13 pm

dsn32 wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:i have also been curious...is anyone else still waitlisted at a T3 or chicago in addition to columbia


I'm on Columbia and Chicago WL right now, so I assume that isn't uncommon.


+1

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm

Stanford for me. The reason I ask is because I wonder if deans of admission from various schools crosslist these candidates. Seems far fetched at first but imagine if BigZuck for example were to be extended offers from both uchicago and cls at this point. It only seems that this late in the game that would be ridiculously inconvenient for all parties involved. Perhaps the Deans collude...I mean collaborate :D discuss

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 pm

scoutmaster wrote:Stanford for me. The reason I ask is because I wonder if deans of admission from various schools crosslist these candidates. Seems far fetched at first but imagine if BigZuck for example were to be extended offers from both uchicago and cls at this point. It only seems that this late in the game that would be ridiculously inconvenient for all parties involved. Perhaps the Deans collude...I mean collaborate :D discuss


I wouldn't complain :) But yeah, I wouldn't worry about it, in my case that's just not happening.

Regardless I think there's only a handful of spots that will open up throughout the T14 at this juncture. It's getting really late in the game. I think everyone on a waitlist at this point should just forget about it and move on with alternate plans. Cross that unlikely bridge when it presents itself. For most people it will be a lot of wasted brainpower to even think about it.

But we all like to think we are special so I totally get why people are still holding out hope.

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:Stanford for me. The reason I ask is because I wonder if deans of admission from various schools crosslist these candidates. Seems far fetched at first but imagine if BigZuck for example were to be extended offers from both uchicago and cls at this point. It only seems that this late in the game that would be ridiculously inconvenient for all parties involved. Perhaps the Deans collude...I mean collaborate :D discuss


I wouldn't complain :) But yeah, I wouldn't worry about it, in my case that's just not happening.

Regardless I think there's only a handful of spots that will open up throughout the T14 at this juncture. It's getting really late in the game. I think everyone on a waitlist at this point should just forget about it and move on with alternate plans. Cross that unlikely bridge when it presents itself. For most people it will be a lot of wasted brainpower to even think about it.

But we all like to think we are special so I totally get why people are still holding out hope.



:cry: We all want to be THAT special person. I hope it's one of the TLS people

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 pm

BigZuck wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:i have also been curious...is anyone else still waitlisted at a T3 or chicago in addition to columbia


I'm on Columbia and Chicago WL right now, so I assume that isn't uncommon.


+1


+1

puppiespaws
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby puppiespaws » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:39 am

Has anyone been rejected from second reserve yet? It seems a lot of us got moved into third reserve. I wonder by how much they cut it down.

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:00 am

Today's the day! We're all getting calls, and we are all getting in.

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby bincognito » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Anybody call? Do they tell you anything if you do?

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:37 pm

bincognito wrote:Anybody call? Do they tell you anything if you do?


We knew about the delayed July update because somebody called. Early on I got some small, but reliable clues. Frankly, I've used up all my phone time with CLS - not to mention visiting. I'd love for someone to make a call!!

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby gbelle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
bincognito wrote:Anybody call? Do they tell you anything if you do?


We knew about the delayed July update because somebody called. Early on I got some small, but reliable clues. Frankly, I've used up all my phone time with CLS - not to mention visiting. I'd love for someone to make a call!!


+1

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby sinfiery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:31 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:By the end of June, the time to make a decision had gotten down to 24 hours. If CLS is anything like the rest of the T14, any admittees at this point are probably required to commit on the spot. That's why I think it's not worth your trouble to stay on if you wouldn't absolutely go, no questions asked.


This is silly. It takes roughly 3 seconds to tell them you won't attend without X scholarship money. Don't do their job for them.

Maybe this is self-serving logic but I don't think so

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 am

sinfiery wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:By the end of June, the time to make a decision had gotten down to 24 hours. If CLS is anything like the rest of the T14, any admittees at this point are probably required to commit on the spot. That's why I think it's not worth your trouble to stay on if you wouldn't absolutely go, no questions asked.


This is silly. It takes roughly 3 seconds to tell them you won't attend without X scholarship money. Don't do their job for them.

Maybe this is self-serving logic but I don't think so


It takes 3 seconds to tell them you won't attend once you're already on the phone . It realistically takes a much longer time to phone tag and then determine $ allocations.

How's it self-serving to prolong your own final determination (whether admit or reject)? That's done at the expense of everyone involved including yourself.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby sinfiery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
It takes 3 seconds to tell them you won't attend once you're already on the phone . It realistically takes a much longer time to phone tag and then determine $ allocations.

How's it self-serving to prolong your own final determination (whether admit or reject)? That's done at the expense of everyone involved including yourself.


Your argument specifies nothing about the thing at contention here, IE: Asking for X if accepted. It was said that if you wouldn't 100% attend, you shouldn't stay on the waitlist because they will very likely not meet your obligations. Well, if that is the case, then it will literally take 3 seconds once on the phone for them to render a decision. In fact, you concede that they may match the obligation by stating the added time period for money allocations to take place. So maybe that's why it's self-serving?

Your argument more specifically attacks why anyone would stay on a waitlist once accepted to another school. You stay on the waitlist because you might get accepted and attend in the right circumstances.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cathy95, Google [Bot], Long shot hero, oakroom, okf731, tinafeyclone and 13 guests