Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
48%
yes
28%
yes
25%

Total votes: 80

lunaraeon

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:55 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:okay, do they have to tell us before school starts on the 15th? That is really soon. I would love to go to Columbia though and can easily move around plans. Just would love to finally know 100% where I am going.

If you're happy to attend up until orientation, make sure they know that :) Otherwise, yep--last year had the huge release wave happen after orientation began, and scoutmaster is right. They mail their rejections even that late in the process.

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:FWIW, class is at 360 people.

sorry i missed this but where are you getting these numbers? a facebook group?

Per earlier posts, they're admitted students with access to a student directory of some sort.

Yep, the number is class of 2016 JD students from our online directory. About as accurate as the number could get, since you have to deposit to be listed. It's at 361 now, by the way.

scoutmaster wrote:can anyone figure out if those who were accepted last year off of third reserve ALL interviewed? it seems to me like time is running out for interviews in general.

No idea on this one. Last year's reserve was a lot less talkative about the whole process. I doubt the YP aspect of an interview becomes less important as we enter August, so they probably just have everything on a fast timeline. Maybe in the last week or so they just call you without scheduling?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:36 pm

By the end of June, the time to make a decision had gotten down to 24 hours. If CLS is anything like the rest of the T14, any admittees at this point are probably required to commit on the spot. That's why I think it's not worth your trouble to stay on if you wouldn't absolutely go, no questions asked.

amsong

Postby amsong » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:By the end of June, the time to make a decision had gotten down to 24 hours. If CLS is anything like the rest of the T14, any admittees at this point are probably required to commit on the spot. That's why I think it's not worth your trouble to stay on if you wouldn't absolutely go, no questions asked.

I was given 4 days to decide when I was admitted a couple weeks ago, but at this point, Monochromatic Oeuvre is probably right.

Just

Postby Just » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:25 am

Chinese media just broke the news that Bo Guagua (the son of Bo Xilai) is in. Not sure if the late coverage means a recent admission.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 am

Just wrote:Chinese media just broke the news that Bo Guagua (the son of Bo Xilai) is in. Not sure if the late coverage means a recent admission.

Oh brother... I guess the number is somewhere around 362 now.

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:36 am

Just wrote:Chinese media just broke the news that Bo Guagua (the son of Bo Xilai) is in. Not sure if the late coverage means a recent admission.

I give up.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:

I give up.

I feel you.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:49 am

gbelle wrote:

I may have been overzealous in sharing the numbers... they removed the box to search by class year. Woops.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:52 am

lunaraeon wrote:
gbelle wrote:

I may have been overzealous in sharing the numbers... they removed the box to search by class year. Woops.

Thanks for your efforts! We'll have to wait it out in complete darkness now..

scoutmaster

Postby scoutmaster » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

gbelle wrote:

i seriously hope that he was a part of the original 358. if he was waitlisted with his credentials then NONE of us have a chance.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:23 pm

scoutmaster wrote:
gbelle wrote:

i seriously hope that he was a part of the original 358. if he was waitlisted with his credentials then NONE of us have a chance.

It doesn't seem he's apart of the Columbia e-mail directory just yet. But if he were... "excuse me, did you happen to be on the second reserve? or were you added to the third? PS did you get cut from HLS last week?" So many questions..

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Is this a joke? Arent his parents in prison for murder and fraud? And he wants to go to law school?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:35 pm

I guess we should not judge him by his parents' actions. I wonder if he'll bring his red ferrari to campus or leave it in Cambridge

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Is this a joke? Arent his parents in prison for murder and fraud? And he wants to go to law school?

To be fair, we shouldn't judge him based on the actions of his parents... I just think it's a joke at this point, because this type of news confirms just how little I understand the admissions process at CLS...

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:36 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
gbelle wrote:

Wow, that's funny. They totally have removed that feature

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:37 pm

gbelle wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:
gbelle wrote:

It doesn't seem he's apart of the Columbia e-mail directory just yet. But if he were... "excuse me, did you happen to be on the second reserve? or were you added to the third? PS did you get cut from HLS last week?" So many questions..

Yeah, I couldn't find him. But students can ask not to release information.

If you email him, ask for a party invite.
jbagelboy wrote:

Nope, it was in the NYT and is across a few news outlets now. It's a better play than returning to China.

And obviously he'll bring the Porshe, jb please.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I guess we should not judge him by his parents' actions. I wonder if he'll bring his red ferrari to campus or leave it in Cambridge

He'll totally fit in in Harlem/Morningside Heights.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:44 pm

StillIll wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
gbelle wrote:

Wow, that's funny. They totally have removed that feature

I know. Sigh. Hubris. They'll have to put it back soon though, for legitimate classmate searching.

scoutmaster

Postby scoutmaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:27 pm

Was everyone supposed to respond by August 1

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm

scoutmaster wrote:Was everyone supposed to respond by August 1

For 3rd reserve? I'm assuming so.

jcccc

Postby jcccc » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm

Wow thats hectic. I wished he was entering in my class next year so I can trash him.

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:51 pm

jcccc wrote:

Wow thats hectic. I wished he was entering in my class next year so I can trash him.

Not nice.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Um, not to provide any false hope, but there should be a spot opening up... someone withdrew recently. Not sure if they'll jump to fill it or let it set, but still.

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:16 pm

StillIll wrote:Um, not to provide any false hope, but there should be a spot opening up... someone withdrew recently. Not sure if they'll jump to fill it or let it set, but still.

Thanks for the update. Are you able to tell us how you know? I'm assuming the directory remains closed..maybe not. Also, if the class is overfilled, they may be able to afford some drops without extending new offers. Hoping for the best!

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:38 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
StillIll wrote:Um, not to provide any false hope, but there should be a spot opening up... someone withdrew recently. Not sure if they'll jump to fill it or let it set, but still.

Thanks for the update. Are you able to tell us how you know? I'm assuming the directory remains closed..maybe not. Also, if the class is overfilled, they may be able to afford some drops without extending new offers. Hoping for the best!

We just know the kid from TLS and he let a few of us know. Got my fingers crossed for you... your dedication here has been pretty impressive

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”