Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
38
48%
yes
22
28%
yes
20
25%
 
Total votes: 80

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:37 pm

lunaraeon wrote:I would love to come over for beers, in fact I'd prefer it as I won't be legal in NY until a couple months in


Somebody younger than me at CLS? Just letting you know now, we're going to be best friends. That's happening.

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:39 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:I'm a white male, international, 3.49/179


I'm confused as to what took them until late June to admit you, considering they admitted eight other splitters, all of whom had lower numbers than you. If you make enough sarcastic remarks and obscure references to movies and television in the C/O 2016 thread, I'll invite you over to my apartment for beerz.

Of course, that presumes that the Housing Office EVER ASSIGNS ME A MOTHERFUDGING APARTMENT.


I'm probably just more boring, haha, or maybe it's because they needed to see my final grades and a LOCI. Prior to that final semester, I was a 3.4 with only one worthwhile semester so no proven trend. They admitted me early enough that it causes me no problems, so I'm happy regardless.
I would love to come over for beers, in fact I'd prefer it as I won't be legal in NY until a couple months in... ^^" (This is probably completely outing me but whatever.) I'll make obscure references to sarcastic remarks, just to keep it interesting. Deal?

StillIll wrote:Ahh Lenfest. That'd be a sick pad man. A little out of my price range. I found out the room I'm set up in now is 133 sq ft LOL. So don't forget about us more... 'condensed'... classmates.

And you're smart. I should have called and spoken with her directly instead of leaving it to this application. Now I'm desperately trying to get ahold of her, to no avail thus far.


Even by telephone? I emailed to avoid long distance but I'm thinking getting the process started might be worth calling...


Maybe drop her an e-mail. Just extend some personal contact in addition to the application may be smart. Grats on getting in man!

Does NY have a different drinking age then the rest of the country? ... I'm actually asking. I wouldn't think so but you make it seem as so, haha.

And that said, you both are young'ns, aren't you? I'm not... that old. Average law school age I'd say (24). I'd invite you over to my place for beers 24/7... but that's assuming we all can fit. Haha.

Also, wow gj on a 179. Impressive. Which question did you miss?? (Can we talk about them now?)
Last edited by StillIll on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Also going to Law School, not to mention Columbia Law at age 20? That's some wunderkind s*** right there. I am impressed.

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:I would love to come over for beers, in fact I'd prefer it as I won't be legal in NY until a couple months in

Somebody younger than me at CLS? Just letting you know now, we're going to be best friends. That's happening.


Yay! I will need them. Make sure you watch this though. :P

StillIll wrote:Also going to Law School, not to mention Columbia Law at age 20? That's some wunderkind s*** right there. I am impressed.

Just born late in the year + school that forced me to finish in three years. Nothing special, I promise—in fact considering how many people were in before me with little difference in stats, I'm clearly low on the special totem pole ;)

Good plan—I'll contact her if I don't hear near the end of Monday. And no, haha, at least I don't think it's a different age... it's 21 right? I'm just coming from where it's 18 and where I've been making people their drinks for a while. It's going to be a bit weird. We'll see what I can manage for housing, I'm happy to have people over if it's a better space. Maybe I can find an N64.

(As for the 179, I missed two. One mistake, one switched answer. I swapped it completely on a whim from the correct one right at the end of a section, oops. I had to look up the question, but it was oct 2012, "the flawed nature of the argument above can most effectively be demonstrated by noting that, by parallel reasoning, we could conclude that". My initial guess I felt was right, but couldn't seem to prove it (argument structure questions are weird sometimes), and the one I swapped to seemed like it might be right so I went for it since I didn't have time to check. Undone for my hubris, thankfully with the only difference being some personal annoyance and a potentially lost opportunity with any 0Ls I meet.)



More on topic, did the two people who were still being looked at (without second reserve) hear anything from CLS? I wonder if a move to URM candidates marks a complete shift in their needs, or just an additional aspect they've recently had to look at.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm

StillIll wrote:Also going to Law School, not to mention Columbia Law at age 20? That's some wunderkind s*** right there. I am impressed.


Lunaraeon and I have, like, the same story. Can't believe I found another 20 year old. Hope he doesn't hate me for turning 21 before orientation.

ETA: I would hypothetically :wink: buy him booze until he turned 21, if it weren't illegal, hypothetically. :wink:

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
StillIll wrote:Also going to Law School, not to mention Columbia Law at age 20? That's some wunderkind s*** right there. I am impressed.


Lunaraeon and I have, like, the same story. Can't believe I found another 20 year old. Hope he doesn't hate me for turning 21 before orientation.

ETA: I would hypothetically :wink: buy him booze until he turned 21, if it weren't illegal, hypothetically. :wink:

I had the same problem when I started university, but that was in a city known for letting young high school students drink, so hypothetically this would be useful and I would hypothetically take you up on it. :P

We should probably move this convo to the class thread, though, and keep this thread focused on any emerging reserve news.

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:23 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
StillIll wrote:Also going to Law School, not to mention Columbia Law at age 20? That's some wunderkind s*** right there. I am impressed.


Lunaraeon and I have, like, the same story. Can't believe I found another 20 year old. Hope he doesn't hate me for turning 21 before orientation.

ETA: I would hypothetically :wink: buy him booze until he turned 21, if it weren't illegal, hypothetically. :wink:

I had the same problem when I started university, but that was in a city known for letting young high school students drink, so hypothetically this would be useful and I would hypothetically take you up on it. :P

We should probably move this convo to the class thread, though, and keep this thread focused on any emerging reserve news.


Yes.

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:33 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Yes.

(Sorry about that.) Hopefully syd625 or scoutmaster gets in here and let us know if anything has changed for them, it seemed like there would be some URM admits at the very least.

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:52 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Yes.

(Sorry about that.) Hopefully syd625 or scoutmaster gets in here and let us know if anything has changed for them, it seemed like there would be some URM admits at the very least.


BTW curt≠animus, sorry if that came off poorly! Congrats to the admits. WL-->Admit is kinda a second chance, so it should give you added motivation to kick ass for the next 3 years!!

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:58 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
StillIll wrote:Also going to Law School, not to mention Columbia Law at age 20? That's some wunderkind s*** right there. I am impressed.


Lunaraeon and I have, like, the same story. Can't believe I found another 20 year old. Hope he doesn't hate me for turning 21 before orientation.

ETA: I would hypothetically :wink: buy him booze until he turned 21, if it weren't illegal, hypothetically. :wink:

I had the same problem when I started university, but that was in a city known for letting young high school students drink, so hypothetically this would be useful and I would hypothetically take you up on it. :P

We should probably move this convo to the class thread, though, and keep this thread focused on any emerging reserve news.


Yes.


Fair enough fair enough. Sorry about that. But where is that thread? There's one that hasn't been posted in for a long time.. is there a secret one somewhere here?

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:07 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Yes.

(Sorry about that.) Hopefully syd625 or scoutmaster gets in here and let us know if anything has changed for them, it seemed like there would be some URM admits at the very least.


BTW curt≠animus, sorry if that came off poorly! Congrats to the admits. WL-->Admit is kinda a second chance, so it should give you added motivation to kick ass for the next 3 years!!

Not at all :) (And it definitely does!) My first long post might have enough useful info to offset the later irrelevant long posts—rooting for everyone still waiting. Something I just realized, though. I thought I heard Dean Iwerebon say "Tuesday at 3" for when I had to get back to her, but considering what it said on my actual letter, it's possible she said "today at 3" and it was too loud for me to hear the difference. So, possibly they have shortened their response window.

If I can be helpful in any way, anyone can feel free to PM me. :)


Stilllll, hop on over to here.

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:47 am

Hey guys. Still nothing for me. To be expected. If I don't receive a letter-email-call by the end of next week I am going to call but at this point hyde park is becoming a reality.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Very updated avg UG LSAT based on school reports

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... DNSbUNtZ1E


this data range must be smaller or something. how did you generate this spreadsheet? This list completely dropped Williams, Pomona, CMC, and a bunch of LACs (who probably have lower #'s of applicants due to small class size) from the list


User generated this year on TLS from CAS reports

Their numbers probably fell from the 2009 #s

Lax101
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Lax101 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 pm

StillIll wrote:Ok, off the current topic, have any recent reserve admits been given their housing assignments yet? I just got mine, and apparently I'm set up in the general grad student housing (with a guy from the business school and a guy getting his masters of architecture).

Have you guys been able to get law student housing? Or is this in virtue of something wacky I put on my application? I asked for cheaper end, which I got, but I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more per month if I could get in the law housing.

I was shooting for one on the 115th street 400 block, but I'm on 114th instead.

You should be thankful that you're on 114th. Extremely thankful. After being admitted off reserve a few weeks ago I was plunked in grad housing MUCH further away from campus (uptown), and after fighting with 4 people in UAH and law school housing, they didn't budge an inch. I asked them the same thing you did--I'd gladly switch into law school housing to pay a few hundred more. They didn't budge. I was told that there is literally 0 law school housing spots left.

I'm pretty pissed at how unfriendly and unaccommodating the process was. Good luck.

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby lunaraeon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Lax101 wrote:
StillIll wrote:Ok, off the current topic, have any recent reserve admits been given their housing assignments yet? I just got mine, and apparently I'm set up in the general grad student housing (with a guy from the business school and a guy getting his masters of architecture).

Have you guys been able to get law student housing? Or is this in virtue of something wacky I put on my application? I asked for cheaper end, which I got, but I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more per month if I could get in the law housing.

I was shooting for one on the 115th street 400 block, but I'm on 114th instead.

You should be thankful that you're on 114th. Extremely thankful. After being admitted off reserve a few weeks ago I was plunked in grad housing MUCH further away from campus (uptown), and after fighting with 4 people in UAH and law school housing, they didn't budge an inch. I asked them the same thing you did--I'd gladly switch into law school housing to pay a few hundred more. They didn't budge. I was told that there is literally 0 law school housing spots left.

I'm pretty pissed at how unfriendly and unaccommodating the process was. Good luck.

Was your upper budget limit somewhat low? Juliana told me Lenfest still had spots as of Saturday.

T20hopeful89
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby T20hopeful89 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Lax101 wrote:
StillIll wrote:Ok, off the current topic, have any recent reserve admits been given their housing assignments yet? I just got mine, and apparently I'm set up in the general grad student housing (with a guy from the business school and a guy getting his masters of architecture).

Have you guys been able to get law student housing? Or is this in virtue of something wacky I put on my application? I asked for cheaper end, which I got, but I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more per month if I could get in the law housing.

I was shooting for one on the 115th street 400 block, but I'm on 114th instead.

You should be thankful that you're on 114th. Extremely thankful. After being admitted off reserve a few weeks ago I was plunked in grad housing MUCH further away from campus (uptown), and after fighting with 4 people in UAH and law school housing, they didn't budge an inch. I asked them the same thing you did--I'd gladly switch into law school housing to pay a few hundred more. They didn't budge. I was told that there is literally 0 law school housing spots left.

I'm pretty pissed at how unfriendly and unaccommodating the process was. Good luck.


Did you get placed into The Arbor in Riverdale?

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I know it's the price I pay for setting up e-mail notifications for threads, but please be kind and use the PM feature for housing inquiries. That's right, housing inquirers, I'm telling you to get a room ;)

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:30 am

lunaraeon wrote:Juliana told me Lenfest still had spots as of Saturday.


I submitted my app on Tuesday and I really, really hope the above is still true.

Lesterizer
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Lesterizer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:09 am

Hey guys,

Has the 2nd reserve email gone out yet? I haven't received anything since getting on the 1st reserve.

User avatar
JuniperCreekEsq
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:24 am

Lesterizer wrote:Hey guys,

Has the 2nd reserve email gone out yet? I haven't received anything since getting on the 1st reserve.


I don't think you're the only one who hasn't received any updates since then. The 2nd reserve email was sent the second week of June.

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:52 am

Lesterizer wrote:Hey guys,

Has the 2nd reserve email gone out yet? I haven't received anything since getting on the 1st reserve.


I am in the same boat as you. I think there are a few of us left..there is some indication it's mostly URMs left.

Lesterizer
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Lesterizer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:54 pm

scoutmaster wrote:
Lesterizer wrote:Hey guys,

Has the 2nd reserve email gone out yet? I haven't received anything since getting on the 1st reserve.


I am in the same boat as you. I think there are a few of us left..there is some indication it's mostly URMs left.


I'm only a first-gen (not a urm). I actually sent them an inquiry email the last week of June and they will i would be notified shortly. Does any one of you have a idea of what it means if we didn't get that second reserve email and didn't get a rejection as well?

Should we send them a message since it's july?

User avatar
scoutmaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby scoutmaster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Lesterizer wrote:
scoutmaster wrote:
Lesterizer wrote:Hey guys,

Has the 2nd reserve email gone out yet? I haven't received anything since getting on the 1st reserve.


I am in the same boat as you. I think there are a few of us left..there is some indication it's mostly URMs left.


I'm only a first-gen (not a urm). I actually sent them an inquiry email the last week of June and they will i would be notified shortly. Does any one of you have a idea of what it means if we didn't get that second reserve email and didn't get a rejection as well?

Should we send them a message since it's july?



I mean I feel like with the fourth coming we may not hear anything for awhile(maybe the end of the week). I JUST WANT something

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby syd625 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Just received the second reserve email after not hearing anything previously. How about you guys? Definitely doesn't sound optimistic though.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby megagnarley » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 pm

syd625 wrote:Just received the second reserve email after not hearing anything previously. How about you guys? Definitely doesn't sound optimistic though.


Samesies.

Can someone wiser than myself shed some wisdom on this?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Baidu [Spider], carlos_danger, Cfitz, christinaxcarrie, curry1, guybourdin, hammy393, hellohalo, joezze, lawschool2017712, Nobiggie, Photomike2, pleaseclassof2020, ssolli, Torres1893 and 25 guests